• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikron

markot said:
When they sell off NBN, wont it just become another monopoly >.<?

Unlikely as the greens are dead against it and they hold balance in the senate. ;)

Oh, unless the Libs want to sell it on once its built as well.

Then again, we will probably have a far different government by then...

Carry on.

Agyar

Mar said:
What's the occasion? GW2?
More just the fact that we moved recently and my old PC is huge, noisy and neglected. I want to overhaul the while thing. Small case to fit in a mount under the desk, new wireless keyboard and mouse, and eventually a new monitor, probably a Dell Ultrasharp. I bought The Witcher and King's Bount during the last big Stesm sale so I wouldn't mind playing those as well.

GW2 is also on the horizon, though I am in two minds as to whether I want to dive back in to that type of game at all. It looks to be a lot less focused on competitive PvP but otherwise it's probably the most palatable online RPG with my schedule. If I'm lucky I can hound a few people and maybe get in onnsome beta action closer to release.

Agyar

Fredescu said:
Yeah I'd definitely wait and see what the 6770 is like if you're building a small form factor machine.

Is it intended to be smaller/lower in power consumption? I am considering waiting, I could potentially build the rest of the box now and use my existing video card, then upgrade when they release the new series.

BSS

Agyar said:
Hey PC guys, see my post in the PC thread and then tell me things about PCs.

My only comment is that an i5-6xx and H55 combo is designed around having integrated graphics. i5-7xx and P55 drops that stuff. The price would be about the same. CPU clock is a little lower, but is quad core instead of dual.

I bought a i5-760 + Intel DP55WB with pl0k when SC2 launched. It's a basic, no-bullshit mATX board. No USB3 though.

Fredescu

Agyar said:
Is it intended to be smaller/lower in power consumption? I am considering waiting, I could potentially build the rest of the box now and use my existing video card, then upgrade when they release the new series.
The 4770 was, and the 5750/5770 are. I don't think we have anything official yet, and it wouldn't be the first time a hardware manufacturer had inconsistent naming, but if it's true to its namesakes it should have pretty good performance for the power draw and temps.

Agyar

BSS said:
My only comment is that an i5-6xx and H55 combo is designed around having integrated graphics. i5-7xx and P55 drops that stuff. The price would be about the same. CPU clock is a little lower, but is quad core instead of dual.

I bought a i5-760 + Intel DP55WB with pl0k when SC2 launched. It's a basic, no-bullshit mATX board. No USB3 though.

I see, this sounds worth considering. That board looks good, is there an alternative with USB 3.0 or would it be more prudent just to get that board and then buy a $30 USB 3 PCI card when/if I want the ports. I can't currently think of anything I would use them for.

Edit: How soon are we expecting this Series 6 launch? Looking around but I can't find much more than Q4.

markot

Banned
legend166 said:
Any AusGAFers going to be trying out LotR Online for free? I know hamchan is.
No im playing a fun mmo called warcraft may have heard of it!

I was thinking of getting that dell IP moniter >.<... but my current moniter isnt bad enough to warrent me buying a new one yet imo...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Agyar said:
I see, this sounds worth considering. That board looks good, is there an alternative with USB 3.0 or would it be more prudent just to get that board and then buy a $30 USB 3 PCI card when/if I want the ports. I can't currently think of anything I would use them for.

Edit: How soon are we expecting this Series 6 launch? Looking around but I can't find much more than Q4.

Some are saying october 12th but others are saying probably the end of the month, oct 25th or so.

Agyar

Fredescu said:
Which one were you thinking of getting? The 23" is 30% off in the small business section at the moment: http://www1.ap.dell.com/au/en/busin...spx?refid=monitor-dell-u2311h&s=bsd&cs=aubsd1

The 24" is 10% off, but you can use a 15% off code (BNCMBQ4LKKLPT7, no idea how long it's valid for) in the home section and it's cheaper still. I'm thinking pretty hard about a U2410.

Probably the 24" but I want to get the box done first. Those Dell sales seem to be fairly regular so I'm happy to sit on it for a while and just use my existing monitor.

Mar

Agyar said:
Probably the 24" but I want to get the box done first. Those Dell sales seem to be fairly regular so I'm happy to sit on it for a while and just use my existing monitor.

On the topic of monitors. When are you going to contribute something to gamecrux?

Agyar

Mar said:
On the topic of monitors. When are you going to contribute something to gamecrux?

I was considering this very question last night, not sure how best to channel my creative efforts. A review is the obvious choice but the video is tricky. I suppose I could write a review of something I finished recently, possibly Awakening or Dead Rising: Case Zero? Shonky iPhone video would have to suffice though.

Edit: Or maybe Shank, if I finish it this weekend. It could be a better choice as I could consider it whilst playing. I'm not sure how best to approach a game review, as I think I tend to get into and champion games or not touch them at all. I'm a very forgiving person as well. I'll play a lot of things, if they can do something right. Like Shank for example, it's very derivative and looks like a Flash game but if you want to press buttons and instantly murder guys, it is perfect.

Mar

Agyar said:
I was considering this very question last night, not sure how best to channel my creative efforts. A review is the obvious choice but the video is tricky. I suppose I could write a review of something I finished recently, possibly Awakening or Dead Rising: Case Zero? Shonky iPhone video would have to suffice though.

As shonky as you like, just look at my terrible videos.

Kritz was considering reviewing Case Zero but I think he's doing something else now. That game seems to be popular (I've bought and downloaded it but haven't played yet).

Agyar

Mar said:
As shonky as you like, just look at my terrible videos.

Kritz was considering reviewing Case Zero but I think he's doing something else now. That game seems to be popular (I've bought and downloaded it but haven't played yet).

I have mixed feelings about it. Having never played the first Dead Rising I'm unsure how it stacks up but there's definitely some elements that feel really dated in it.

Agyar

Mar said:
Dude, what...

I know, it was always on my list but I never got a copy. Speaking of things I never got around to, I intend to go back and finish Condemned one of these days. Playing through Alan Wake has reminded me how terrifying that game is. Alan Wake does a good job of making the environment feel oppressive and dangerous but in Condemned I had to muster up the courage to walk anywhere, for fear of being gang banged by hobos with axes.

Mar

Agyar said:
I know, it was always on my list but I never got a copy. Speaking of things I never got around to, I intend to go back and finish Condemned one of these days. Playing through Alan Wake has reminded me how terrifying that game is. Alan Wake does a good job of making the environment feel oppressive and dangerous but in Condemned I had to muster up the courage to walk anywhere, for fear of being gang banged by hobos with axes.

Yeah, there's a sense of urgency in Alan Wake, but it's not a scary game. More a 'if I stand around or try and look over here I'm going to get mobbed by a thousand shadow dudes so I better run' type of thing.

How far did you get in Condemned? It's probably one of three games that I'd say are the scariest in the horror genre. The level that has you in a house in pitch black darkness with only a UV light is fucking terrifying.

DOOM 3 and Silent Hill: Homecoming are the other two. SH:H, while a pretty broken game, is perhaps one of the most terrifying and brooding I've played for a very long time. I still haven't managed to finish it because it's not a fun game to play, it stresses me out and has me on the edge of my seat. I really need to be in the right frame of mind for it.

Agyar

Mar said:
Yeah, there's a sense of urgency in Alan Wake, but it's not a scary game. More a 'if I stand around or try and look over here I'm going to get mobbed by a thousand shadow dudes so I better run' type of thing.

How far did you get in Condemned? It's probably one of three games that I'd say are the scariest in the horror genre. The level that has you in a house in pitch black darkness with only a UV light is fucking terrifying.

DOOM 3 and Silent Hill: Homecoming are the other two. SH:H, while a pretty broken game, is perhaps one of the most terrifying and brooding I've played for a very long time. I still haven't managed to finish it because it's not a fun game to play, it stresses me out and has me on the edge of my seat. I really need to be in the right frame of mind for it.

I was some way into the department store level. Alan Wake is interesting because while I'm playing it, the game does a good job of holding up the illusion of space around a very limited, linear path by making the areas off the path dangerous and uninviting. Once you stop playing and reflect on it, the illusion comes crashing down and you can see how restrictive the linear path really is. I like the plot so far, looking forward to playing it more.

Jintor

Hey AusGaf, I'm headed to the Tokyo Games Show next week, any of you guys know anything in particular you want looked at?

trinest

Jintor said:
Hey AusGaf, I'm headed to the Tokyo Games Show next week, any of you guys know anything in particular you want looked at?
I can't remember what was going to be shown announced already which I would like more looked at.

I actually just cancelled my pre-order for DR2 on 360, I'm going to grab it on Steam instead as it is only $40 US.

I mean I love Dead Rising, and I've played through DR2 Case Zero a couple of times now and look forward to DR2, but $40US is too good to pass up...

Agyar

BanShunsaku said:
I actually just cancelled my pre-order for DR2 on 360, I'm going to grab it on Steam instead as it is only $40 US.

I mean I love Dead Rising, and I've played through DR2 Case Zero a couple of times now and look forward to DR2, but $40US is too good to pass up...

If you wait two weeks, Zavvi/365 will probably have it for 45AUD.

jambo

Australian Steam version of F1 2010 has been price jacked up to $53.95 USD on sale for Australians -_-

Still under $60 AUD which is way better than retail, but damn them.

rass

@BanShunsaku - cheers. I only borrowed the first one but it was quite fun.

Rahk - I'm selling my car and going back to year round 2 wheeling, have you found anything yet?

Mar

trinest said:
I'm sorry, but DOOM 3 isn't scary- its a quite broken game. Just cause its dark doesn't mean its scary.

I think you're going to have to back up these claims.

First, DOOM 3 is scary. People say "lols dark!" but there was so much atmosphere built into that game it was ridiculous. Little sound cues, visual and audio side notes. Most people are too eager to claim it was nothing but monsters leaping out at you, when in fact that was the least scary aspects of the game.

Secondly, broken? What was broken about it? I don't remember anything not working, nor a single crash.

legend166

jambo said:
Australian Steam version of F1 2010 has been price jacked up to $53.95 USD on sale for Australians -_-

Welp, guess I wasn't supposed to buy the game.

markot

Banned
Stupid Codemasters >.<

Lucky I bought it already. Hell, there should be an auto 50% discount for stupid GFWL usage anyways!!!!

rass said:
@BanShunsaku - cheers. I only borrowed the first one but it was quite fun.

No worries - I just now looked at the manual (which is already up on the DR2 Steam page) and it does has 360 controller info in it.

Fredescu

jambo said:

Wow, got in just in time.

trinest

Mar said:
I think you're going to have to back up these claims.

First, DOOM 3 is scary. People say "lols dark!" but there was so much atmosphere built into that game it was ridiculous. Little sound cues, visual and audio side notes. Most people are too eager to claim it was nothing but monsters leaping out at you, when in fact that was the least scary aspects of the game.

Secondly, broken? What was broken about it? I don't remember anything not working, nor a single crash.
Its got a few bugs- none that bad, but its is a pain if it dosn't work for you. For example for some reason it dosn't like to scale to large resolutions and sticks on 800x600- but what eva.

Anyway one of the biggest gripes because its "lol its dark" is because like the game guy said himself- "people would enjoy it more if they could see it".

Other then that yes it did have an alright atmosphere- but I wouldn't go as far as to say it was scary.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Fuuuuccccckkk. I knew codemasters would jack the price up.

I was about to buy that and vvvvvv last night but never did it. FUCK!

evlcookie said:
Fuuuuccccckkk. I knew codemasters would jack the price up.

I was about to buy that and vvvvvv last night but never did it. FUCK!

Man I hate that feeling. Same thing happened to me with Mafia 2 :(

Mar

So... Is there any way to capture video off an iPhone? How do sites like Giantbomb do it? There's an Apple cable you can buy but that only outputs videos on the device and photos, not whatever is showing on the screen (a game for instance). There are iPhone simulators you can use, but that's emulation with mouse clicks and would be ass.

Anyone know how sites do their captures?

markot

Banned
I always get in early nowadays >.<

Pre ordered Mafia as soon as it came up, and Fallout New Vegas >.>

Wish I had done it for Civ 5 though!

Agyar

Mar said:
So... Is there any way to capture video off an iPhone? How do sites like Giantbomb do it? There's an Apple cable you can buy but that only outputs videos on the device and photos, not whatever is showing on the screen (a game for instance). There are iPhone simulators you can use, but that's emulation with mouse clicks and would be ass.

Anyone know how sites do their captures?

I actually googled this last night. Seems you either need to jailbreak your phone and use some weird Cydia apps, or use some type of iPhone simulator, presumably from the SDK, and capture the screen.

Mar

Agyar said:
I actually googled this last night. Seems you either need to jailbreak your phone and use some weird Cydia apps, or use some type of iPhone simulator, presumably from the SDK, and capture the screen.

iPod Nano in candle stick it is then.

markot

Banned
I think I heard about some app or somesuch, maybe its cydia only though, that lets you take 'screen shots' for your iphone or mobile....

trinest

markot said:
I always get in early nowadays >.<

Pre ordered Mafia as soon as it came up, and Fallout New Vegas >.>

Wish I had done it for Civ 5 though!
Nah its better to wait for Steam Sales :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom