• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinest

Fredescu said:
So all those ISP guys don't want the NBN for whatever reason. The head of Exetel said this:

"By the end of 2011, wireless broadband will be faster, cheaper and more ubiquitous in Australia than Telstra's own ADSL2 network, which is three times larger than any of its competitors"

What the fuck? Could he possibly be right? Sounds like fantasy to me.
An't most of those ISP's backing Telstras next 3G/4G solution? which is meant to have speeds around 20 - 40mb? Regardless the NBN would be better then that.

Wireless itself can offer compedative speeds to the NBN with some technologies- but the problem is it changes to often to be a valiable option- also its quite expensive to implement say Australia wide.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I doubt it. It requires things in space!!

While the speed will be fine for general browsing and email (like it currently is) the latency will be too high for video conferencing, gaming etc.

I don't see wireless taking off in metropolitan areas but if they can get the coverage out to country australia then it might just do fine.

trinest

evlcookie said:
I doubt it. It requires things in space!!

While the speed will be fine for general browsing and email (like it currently is) the latency will be too high for video conferencing, gaming etc.

I don't see wireless taking off in metropolitan areas but if they can get the coverage out to country australia then it might just do fine.
Wireless wouldn't work in Country Australia. I think it is more better suited for Metro regions.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
trinest said:
Wireless wouldn't work in Country Australia. I think it is more better suited for Metro regions.

Well wireless would be required for country. That was it's purpose in the NBN proposal i believe. Fibre for metro, well who they classify as metro and wireless for those who are unable to get it.

Fredescu

trinest said:
An't most of those ISP's backing Telstras next 3G/4G solution? which is meant to have speeds around 20 - 40mb? Regardless the NBN would be better then that.
I know nothing about 4G. That sounds pretty cool if true. No doubt fiber would be better, but those speeds on a mobile device cheaply by next year? Sign me up.

giri

trinest said:
That's exactly who it's targeted at, and who its perfect for.

And what they say about wireless is true to a certain extent. Wired is always going to be more reliable, but wireless is making big gains. It now comes down to whether someone like telstra price a wireless plan similarly to a wired one. Thats what will drive the next strides in wireless.

And yes, one of the experts biggest complaints about the NBN (outside of creating a telstra 2.0 type company to look after it) is that before the usage fee's to use it pay it off, it'll be obsolete. Making the planned privitisation of it in 10 years or what ever it was, very hard. As anyone who bought it for anywhere near what it cost to lay, will be facing the very real risk that they may never recoup their expenses.

I get why its a good idea, i love that government are putting resources into this sort of technology and infrastructure, i'm personally unconvinced on the plans surrounding the NBN.

Clipper

Is anybody else buying Last Window (Hotel Dusk 2)? I just noticed that it's only a week and a bit away. ozgameshop doesn't seem to list it, but thankfully CDWow has a somewhat decent price.

Do CDWow still do those weekly $2 off special things, though? I stopped receiving e-mails about then in July it seems. Still, $55AU with free shipping seems to be the best offer I can find, so I'm happy to go with that price too.

Anybody know of any better deals?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Clipper said:
Is anybody else buying Last Window (Hotel Dusk 2)? I just noticed that it's only a week and a bit away. ozgameshop doesn't seem to list it, but thankfully CDWow has a somewhat decent price.

Do CDWow still do those weekly $2 off special things, though? I stopped receiving e-mails about then in July it seems. Still, $55AU with free shipping seems to be the best offer I can find, so I'm happy to go with that price too.

Did'nt know it was coming out.. but I will def. be buying it.

spent more time with number one than any other DS game.

trinest

Clipper said:

TheHut/Zavvi makes it around $45~ ish.

Which is where I'm ordering it from- but I've heard the sites had a few problems shipping stuff lately? (aka its more slow etc.)

Fredescu

giri said:
And yes, one of the experts biggest complaints about the NBN (outside of creating a telstra 2.0 type company to look after it) is that before the usage fee's to use it pay it off, it'll be obsolete. Making the planned privitisation of it in 10 years or what ever it was, very hard. As anyone who bought it for anywhere near what it cost to lay, will be facing the very real risk that they may never recoup their expenses.
Eh, the stuff at either ends of the cable will be obsolete pretty quickly, but the cable itself won't be. I have no idea what percentage of that 42 billion both bits are, but I broadly support the idea of sticking fiber in the ground everywhere.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/piracy-setback-for-movie-giants-20100907-14yxh.html

Also MM posted on WP and asked this question

Out of interest, how do you guys think this should be handled?

Presumably, you're not of the opinion that individuals should be able to download and share any content that they wish, forever, without the consent of the creators, and free of any charge. iiNet has certainly never argued that should be the case.

So let's say that the studios made their TV shows (for starters) available for download on a reasonable pay per view basis immediately as soon as they were aired. So the content is available to you for a price, but you could still download it for free (and illegally) on channel BT.

They are still very unlikely to make movies available at the same time as they are released in cinemas.

I know what should not be done. We shouldn't just take untested accusations from a commercial entity and disconnect your Internet.

So what should be done then? If you were writing the policy today, ready to go parliament tomorrow, what would you recommend?

MM

r1chard

legend166 said:
Country gets the NBN first?

I'm going to be old and grey before I can get this thing.
I guess they're going with the theory that city folk are more likely to already have access to decent broadband (even if there are pockets where that's not the case).

teekun

Fredescu said:
Eh, the stuff at either ends of the cable will be obsolete pretty quickly, but the cable itself won't be. I have no idea what percentage of that 42 billion both bits are, but I broadly support the idea of sticking fiber in the ground everywhere.

Yeah, the most important part of the NBN is the fiber itself, and once you've laid the fiber, everything else can be upgraded as time goes by. The value of the cables themselves and their availability to everyone is going to far outweigh hardware at the ends of them.

SmZA

Mar said:
Yeah, pom comes from the abbreviation pome (which was how people use to say it, "pommy"). It stands for Prisoner of Mother England. In other words, an englishman who committed a crime and sent to Australia.
This is wrong, a common myth. Convicts were never called anything of the sort and abbreviations acronyms weren't in common use until the early 20th century. It's a silly explanation anyway, if you think about it - the term is clearly used for assisted British migrants (non-convicts) by white Australians already resident (likely descended from convicts).

Also, the earliest record of its use is in the early 20th century, long after the convict era had ended and assisted British migration began. The best explanation anyone has is it's derived from pomegranate (pummy grant), rhyming slang for immigrant.

Sorry about the late response but I work for a museum and couldn't let it slide...

* Edited for correction

Mar

Paulathon said:
This is wrong, a common myth. Convicts were never called anything of the sort and abbreviations weren't in common use until the early 20th century. It's a silly explanation anyway, if you think about it - the term is clearly used for assisted British migrants (non-convicts) by white Australians already resident (likely descended from convicts).

Also, the earliest record of its use is in the early 20th century, long after the convict era had ended and assisted British migration began. The best explanation anyone has is it's derived from pomegranate (pummy grant), rhyming slang for immigrant.

Sorry about the late response but I work for a museum and couldn't let it slide...

Hah. Also, interesting. My interpretation came from my grandmother who was english, she loved telling that story. Who knew even old people could be wrong...

SmZA

Mar said:
Hah. Also, interesting. My interpretation came from my grandmother who was english, she loved telling that story. Who knew even old people could be wrong...
Old people love 'cute' explanations for things. Should've seen the look of disappointment on my Dad's face when I patiently explained that 'shit' doesn't stand for 'Store High In Transit', and similarly for golf, fuck, and so on... that in fact any word origin he could give me involving an acronym was almost certainly false, and the word most likely derives from old English, German, or something. The young do like to take the fun out of things.

Fredescu

Paulathon said:
Old people love 'cute' explanations for things. Should've seen the look of disappointment on my Dad's face when I patiently explained that 'shit' doesn't stand for 'Store High In Transit', and similarly for golf, fuck, and so on... that in fact any word origin he could give me involving an acronym was almost certainly false, and the word most likely derives from old English, German, or something. The young do like to take the fun out of things.
You've just described a backronym, which is what I said it was a page back. I probably should have explained myself better.

Agyar

Mar said:
Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC is out. FFFFFffffffffffffffffff

Are you going to play Awakening yet? You might have heard about it as it's just like this DLC, only twenty times bigger and it came out 6 months ago.

Mar

Agyar said:
Are you going to play Awakening yet? You might have heard about it as it's just like this DLC, only twenty times bigger and it came out 6 months ago.

Sure I will

ShyGuy

Hi guys, I was just wondering if there's an AU-specific buy/sell/trade here in AusGAF?

Or do we have to sift through the predominantly US-based one in the Gaming Forum?

hamchan

ShyGuy said:
Hi guys, I was just wondering if there's an AU-specific buy/sell/trade here in AusGAF?

Or do we have to sift through the predominantly US-based one in the Gaming Forum?

There is no specific thread for AU, if we want to sell something we just post it in here.

Paulathon said:
This is wrong, a common myth. Convicts were never called anything of the sort and abbreviations acronyms weren't in common use until the early 20th century. It's a silly explanation anyway, if you think about it - the term is clearly used for assisted British migrants (non-convicts) by white Australians already resident (likely descended from convicts).

* Edited for correction
I was always told that the origin was this:

From British Naval records the term "Pommie" came about from the red "pom-pon" on the top of the hats of British sailors who were involved in the transfer of prisoners to the Colonies. It was used as a derogatory term, but has since become a generalised term for English people.

giri

teekun said:
Yeah, the most important part of the NBN is the fiber itself, and once you've laid the fiber, everything else can be upgraded as time goes by. The value of the cables themselves and their availability to everyone is going to far outweigh hardware at the ends of them.

Yes and no, the fibre will always be useful, yessum. But its value will most certainly go down. If wireless takes off as most are predicting, and with the backing of the big guys it probably will, the value of the fibre will go down significantly.

If half the customer base goes away, the asset loses its value.

r1chard

giri said:
Yes and no, the fibre will always be useful, yessum. But its value will most certainly go down. If wireless takes off as most are predicting, and with the backing of the big guys it probably will, the value of the fibre will go down significantly.

If half the customer base goes away, the asset loses its value.
As someone who's tried to use the current wireless system to do more than just read email, I find any sort of predictions about wireless laughable.

TCP/IP just wasn't designed with wireless transmission in mind. There are some fundamental design choices there that just don't work well with wireless. I'm not saying they can't be overcome but it's a significant hurdle in comparison with transmission over a wire.

hirokazu

Fredescu said:
So all those ISP guys don't want the NBN for whatever reason. The head of Exetel said this:

"By the end of 2011, wireless broadband will be faster, cheaper and more ubiquitous in Australia than Telstra's own ADSL2 network, which is three times larger than any of its competitors"

What the fuck? Could he possibly be right? Sounds like fantasy to me.
Sounds like he knows nothing about wireless technology. But what's the reason exactly for Exetel to be against NBN? I don't understand.

Agyar

evlcookie said:
How soon do you need to upgrade agyar?

There's no time concerns, other than I keep meaning to do this and putting it off. Is there some upcoming hardware releases I should be waiting on?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Agyar said:
There's no time concerns, other than I keep meaning to do this and putting it off. Is there some upcoming hardware releases I should be waiting on?

Yes and no i guess. ATi is meant to drop the 6 series sometime next month, should start with the lowerish end, like the 6770.

Intel should have some sort of sandy bridge release during Q4 2010.

However i don't know if any of those would fit into a nice small system that you need as details are rather scarce.

Shaneus

Fredescu said:
Yeah I'd definitely wait and see what the 6770 is like if you're building a small form factor machine.
I was stupid when I bought my video card and picked up a 5830. My next upgrade is going to be... another 5830 :lol (but only when the 6000 series comes out and they're cheap as fuck)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom