• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
how can hardware be unimaginative? it sounds to me like you're complaining about the launch lineup, which history has shown over and over again to be the least interesting phase of any product's lifecycle. your complaints will be valid should the quality of the software remain the same in the next few years, but as of right now it sounds like you're complaining there isn't a slot that gives you an instant blowjob.

Danoss

Has anyone here in flood-prone areas received their house or car insurance renewal? I have heard from friends that themselves, their family, and their friends' premiums have gone up post-flood in QLD and VIC; only in flood-prone areas though. Those whose houses aren't in said areas. their premiums have remained almost unchanged.

Quite the coincidence, especially since a lot of these buggers don't cover flood, at least by default.

Edit: The people I have heard this has happened to, not one of their place has flooded at all either.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Rez said:
how can hardware be unimaginative? it sounds to me like you're complaining about the launch lineup, which history has shown over and over again to be the least interesting phase of any product's lifecycle. your complaints will be valid should the quality of the software remain the same in the next few years, but as of right now it sounds like you're complaining there isn't a slot that gives you an instant blowjob.

Isn't that the point though? To show off something that only the system can do, that makes it unique? Nothing about the technology shown on either is interesting at all. We have all seen and experienced 3D and touch gaming.

What game(s) on the DS really make use of it's features? What were the games that didn't simply retool the button config to make you use the stylus? What game(s) really utilized the blow mechanic for most of the game instead of a simple mini game? What game made you go, holy shit, this isn't possible on any other system because of those two features.

Omikron

Bernbaum said:
Boardgames!

I wasn't instantly good at it so I flipped the table over and stormed off in a fit.

fun times

I wish the wife was better at race for the galaxy... or even enjoyed it. :(

jambo

evlcookie said:
No. They are both just shoving out the same old crap with slight differences. Here, play some of those old ass games in 3D! Here, play uncharted with some touch swing mechanic, oooh isn't that exciting.

No, No it really isn't at all.

There could very well be but good chance those will get a release as a sequel with 3D. Ooher!

Nothing either side has shown so far is interesting at all.
The systems aren't even fucking out yet, how can you judge the games before anything is even announced or released?!?!?!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
jambo said:
The systems aren't even fucking out yet, how can you judge the games before anything is even announced or released?!?!?!

History and what they are presenting for day 1? ;D

3D *could* do something unique and i look forward to that one game that comes up with it.

jambo

Paper Mario looks tits, that's gonna be a Day 1 purchase.

And the tech demos for the PSP2 are mind blowing, can't wait to see what they have for release at the end of the year.

jambo

Seeing as PS gear is region free, I'll just import it from the US.

And how do you know Telstra is covering the 3G? Could be iPad style, bring your own SIM.

EDIT: Also lol @ $600, remember the first PSP had crazy specs and was $399AUD in 05

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oddly, I find myself not interested in PSP2 talk. it has everything to do with the (expected) price-point, I just can't see it being within my price range for years.

I really hope devs aren't seduced by the monster specs and start making console games for it. keep things portable, I don't want to play console games on a tiny screen.

giri

Danoss said:
Has anyone here in flood-prone areas received their house or car insurance renewal? I have heard from friends that themselves, their family, and their friends' premiums have gone up post-flood in QLD and VIC; only in flood-prone areas though. Those whose houses aren't in said areas. their premiums have remained almost unchanged.

Quite the coincidence, especially since a lot of these buggers don't cover flood, at least by default.

Edit: The people I have heard this has happened to, not one of their place has flooded at all either.
I wouldn't be surprised if their insurance went up. Insurance is a simple numbers game. If a certain event is more likely to happen in a certain area, covering for that is going to cost more. Even if they don't include flood cover, there are other risks involved.

You can say they're harsh or what ever you want, but all those companies have loss ratio targets (claims paid / premium brought in) and over the last few years general insurance has not been travelling well, particularly around the world. And a lot of re-insurers (the guys that suncorp / NRMA / AAMI / QBE split the risk with) are sick of these companies not meeting those targets. If they can't get renewal on their re-insurance, guess what, jobs are lost, and lots of them.

(yes, i work in insurance).

If you want your insurance premiums to come down, maybe you should look to your government and get them to stop adding completely eroneous taxes on every insurance premium. In NSW for e.g. you pay Stamp duty, a fire services levy AND an SES levy. Which is all very ironic, because it's usually the people who are un-insured who can't pay the fire departments bill, not the ones who are insured (the bill just gets sent to the insurer).

evlcookie said:
Isn't that the point though? To show off something that only the system can do, that makes it unique? Nothing about the technology shown on either is interesting at all. We have all seen and experienced 3D and touch gaming.

What game(s) on the DS really make use of it's features? What were the games that didn't simply retool the button config to make you use the stylus? What game(s) really utilized the blow mechanic for most of the game instead of a simple mini game? What game made you go, holy shit, this isn't possible on any other system because of those two features.
Ouendan

Moon DS

Kirby's Canvas Curse

Ace Attorney 4 & Investigations

Jam With The Band

KORG 10 DS

The World Ends With You

Ninja Gaiden

jambo said:
Seeing as PS gear is region free, I'll just import it from the US.

And how do you know Telstra is covering the 3G? Could be iPad style, bring your own SIM.

EDIT: Also lol @ $600, remember the first PSP had crazy specs and was $399AUD in 05

A PS3 here goes for $499. That on top of all the new features this thing will sport and the usual New Console Tax. $600 isn't so laughable.

CrazedProfessional said:
A PS3 here goes for $499. That on top of all the new features this thing will sport and the usual New Console Tax. $600 isn't so laughable.

It will be cheaper than a PS3 or it will be d.o.a here. Joe Sixpack doesn't care about the technical specs, if he can buy a PS3 for less he will...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Gazunta said:
I think it's ever so cute when people think devs have a choice in what they make much less what system they make it for.
you got me, I typed dev instead of publisher or creative leads (specifically the rare people in positions like Ken Levine). it was pretty cute of me.

Bernbaum

Rez said:
The situation really couldn't be any more exciting. What we've got on our hands is a good ol' hardware arms race - the 3DS with it's showy new display, and Sony's kitchen sink approach with the PSP2. It's a marvel that we're seeing this in the post Wii/iPhone era, when accessibility and social meta-ness has been shown to successfully trump sheer hardware grunt. With where technology as a whole is at right now, here in 2011, we're seeing two heavy contenders put (in varying quantity) examples of all the latest whiz-bang stuff like into a platform designed to be taken on the go. I think the handheld industry is up for a big shake-up, and there's going to be some losers, but I'm delighted to see the big names care so much for Joe Gamer.

evlcookie said:

Despite drinking willingly at the fountain of Kool-aid, I can't help but agreeing with this. Both companies have achieved to capture their audiences through wow-factor alone, with all the showy tech. In the case of Nintendo (with a few caveats) they've done well to invigorate the party faithful with what is largely the same handheld they've been making since the DS Phat albeit with a new display.

I got caught in their trap, I really did. As always, software is all that really matters, yet with the 3DS the hype has been built almost single-handedly around the 'OMG, it works!' wow factor. And it does work. I'm lucky enough to have played one and the initial impact is strong. Does the new display allow for any new innovative software? You know, it probably doesn't. The human brain already 'calculates' the 3D volume in the polygonal games we've been playing since the 90's, yet all the 3DS really does is explicitly amplify that effect. Beyond that, there's largely the same platform we've been playing since 2004 with a basic suite of all the mod-cons you'd expect like wireless and social networking fluff that would be suicidal not to include in this decade.

The only place you're wrong is with the initial DS - there's buckets of games that can really only be played with the stylus. A mouse wouldn't cut it for games like Ouendan/EBS and everything else VKS mentioned, and it's got the advantage of fidelity over the iDevices.

For the 3DS, my pre-order is placed, yet I found myself looking at the launch list thinking "Hmm.. I guess Ghost Recon will kind be like Advance Wars, I guess" or "I think I'll get Nintendogs just so I can show off my new toy to my family in a way that will appeal to them". It's the polar opposite to the months leading up to the Wii, when all I was looking forward to a new Zelda adventure.

At the end of the day, it's the 'Nintendo' branding that comes on the box and the pedigree I expect of their first party efforts that will ensure I buy a US and an AUS version come March.

If anything, I find the current situation rejuvenating - we're back to a oneupmanship scenario with the big boys trying to win over the middle ground with hardware as the emphasis ahead of software - just like when I was young and didn't have to shave every fucking day! There's also the lols and meltdowns to look forward too - Sony's new handheld is going to cost you your Nanna's kidneys and it's fucking hilarious just how much overkill they're trying to use to make the thing a success.

I know you're not keen on handheld gaming. There's something personal and engaging about having a system in hand that makes the experience feel a little more direct than the world of PC and consoles. The handheld experience is different - as it should be - and it leads to the development of games in genres that simply won't appeal to everyone. Handhelds also have the 'gizmo' factor, and that's always good for a buzz.

evlcookie said:
What boardgames did you play bern? How many people were there / what games available?
We played one round of possibly the best game available for both the experienced and uninitiated - a game called 'Small World' which channeled the same fantasy humour of a Terry Pratchett novel and had elements of games I was familiar with like Risk and Civ. Both parties were catered for: something the seasoned folk wouldn't get bored of, and something that boardgame neophytes like me didn't feel overwhelmed or confused with.

Agyar

Bernbaum said:
We played one round of possibly the best game available for both the experienced and uninitiated - a game called 'Small World' which channeled the same fantasy humour of a Terry Pratchett novel and had elements of games I was familiar with like Risk and Civ. Both parties were catered for: something the seasoned folk wouldn't get bored of, and something that boardgame neophytes like me didn't feel overwhelmed or confused with.

Thanks for coming along, it was a good game of Small World
because Victor lost

You definitely need to get into a game of Carcassonne. It's the gateway drug and after a tabletop game, you will want that shit in your veins ASAP.

Danoss

giri said:
I wouldn't be surprised if their insurance went up. Insurance is a simple numbers game. If a certain event is more likely to happen in a certain area, covering for that is going to cost more. Even if they don't include flood cover, there are other risks involved.
I know, I used to work in insurance also; in the general insurance field too.

This is not a simple gradual price rise (that's to be expected), but a large hike. I'm talking a 50% increase in premiums. Car premium was $1000? Hello new $1500 premium.

Gazunta

2011-01-26-Reviewer-03.gif

Geez I'm glad Craig Ferguson is on FTA at a reasonable time. Almost makes up for how badly Nine botched Conan!

Ydahs

This website is taking foreveeeeerrrrr to finish development...
jambo said:
Seeing as Sony have said it will sell at a loss*, no chance of $600.

Not a snowflakes chance in hell.
*excluding Australia

Atleast Nintendo cares enough for your average gamer as to make a system that isn't overpowered as sin. I'd prefer handhelds be a Generation behind than ahead or current. Atleast it won't give EBGames an excuse to gorge the shit out of your wallet.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
CrazedProfessional said:
Atleast Nintendo cares enough for your average gamer as to make a system that isn't overpowered as sin
blink

Shaneus

Gazunta said:
http://funnywebcomic.com/comics/2011-01-26-Reviewer-03.gif[IMG]

Geez I'm glad Craig Ferguson is on FTA at a reasonable time. Almost makes up for how badly Nine botched Conan![/QUOTE]
Hear, hear.

CrazedProfessional said:
Atleast Nintendo cares enough for your average gamer as to make a system that isn't overpowered as sin. I'd prefer handhelds be a Generation behind than ahead or current. Atleast it won't give EBGames an excuse to gorge the shit out of your wallet.
Cares enough about profitability, you mean. Nintendo knows that to please their shareholders they need to hit the mainstream and hit it hard.

Sony on the other hand are still stuck in the "Win the tech geeks and the rest will come later" paradigm, which worked so well last time.

My predictions for Oz:

3DS - $400
NGP - $600

Both are ridiculous, so I strongly recommend importing - it's like an in-built discount. Thank you, based dollarydoo!

giri

Danoss said:
I know, I used to work in insurance also; in the general insurance field too.

This is not a simple gradual price rise (that's to be expected), but a large hike. I'm talking a 50% increase in premiums. Car premium was $1000? Hello new $1500 premium.
Thats because just about every car policy DOES have flood cover. Guess whose cars are more likely to get washed away?

If they don't like it, shop around. There are TONS of car insurers. probably about 50.

legend166

Did evlcookie just go on a rant about how there were no unique games on the DS of all things?

Anyway, two important pieces of news:

First, Sufjan was AMAZING. Totally, completely, 100% weird, but also amazing. I'd heard Age of Adz and even I wasn't prepared for the craziness. Let me describe it this way: think of Sufjan Stevens in the middle of the stage wearing some reflective fluro get up, and a tin foil hat, doing the robot. Whilst behind him, some girls do interpretive dance. So bizarre, but so great. Twenty five minutes of Impossible Soul was brilliant. Getting everyone in the Opera House up dancing is no mean feat. And entirely odd for a Sufjan Stevens concert. It was a complete contrast to his last show.

Second, HOLY CRAP LONDON CALLING IN ROCK BAND YES GREATEST NEWS EVER IN THE HISTORY OF ANYTHING.

Choc

Banned
keep crying kevin, your career is over thanks to the FFA, no wait thanks to you you fucking twat.

site_30_rand_2041451100_muscat_301.jpg

so how does the DS not have unique games when it has ghost trick, phoenix wright, nintendogs amongst others

Dead Man

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Cares enough about profitability, you mean. Nintendo knows that to please their shareholders they need to hit the mainstream and hit it hard.

Sony on the other hand are still stuck in the "Win the tech geeks and the rest will come later" paradigm, which worked so well last time.

My predictions for Oz:

3DS - $400
NGP - $600

Both are ridiculous, so I strongly recommend importing - it's like an in-built discount. Thank you, based dollarydoo!
Yeah, I think those numbers will be about right, so import for me, but I probably won't get either until they've been out for a while so I can see which library I will prefer since I don't think I want 2 handheld systems.

Choc

Banned
i could see both being 399

if sony wants to be very very aggressive it could happen, even 450 is harmful to DS on the hardcore side

also fucking sony make it a clamshell i dont want screen protectors

this is why the DS design is so good

Choc

Banned
also not to sound bitchy but in the paper today it was confirmed that this year Queensland will receive more GST and other states (every other state) will get less

Our infrastructure in NSW is falling apart. It is fucked beyond belief, we can't take a cut.

Why the fuck does this flood levy exist if they are pulling this shit.

I have no issue with the Queensland victims and their problems. We need to help them but the management of this is a fucking joke

this would be a politically acceptable defecit move but they just don't get it

Never knew Gillard was Keneally in disguise, but only more FUCKED

I guess in 2013 and they are in surplus but the entire infrastructure of NSW including power, roads, hospitals etc has fallen apart, they can have a fucking party while the people of NSW who contribute the most GST yell FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF

Omikron

Choc said:
also not to sound bitchy but in the paper today it was confirmed that this year Queensland will receive more GST and other states (every other state) will get less

Our infrastructure in NSW is falling apart. It is fucked beyond belief, we can't take a cut.

I have no issue with the Queensland victims and their problems. We need to help them but the management of this is a fucking joke

I guess in 2013 and they are in surplus but the entire infrastructure of NSW including power, roads, hospitals etc has fallen apart, they can have a fucking party while the people of NSW who contribute the most GST yell FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF

Worried about losing 0.5/1% in extra tax hey choc?

Harden up ffs. Seriously, people complaining about this shit give me the fucking shits.

Edit: I had someone on Facebook try and tell me that spending the money from the levy on infrastructure rebuild was a bad somehow.... I am still trying to work it out.

giri

Choc said:

Of course, NSW could start by helping it self, but i guess most MP's are more interested in looking after their pals.

THE president of the Legislative Council, Labor MP Amanda Fazio, will defy the wishes of the committee looking into the state's power sale and not seek NSW Supreme Court orders for arrest warrants for the eight resigned directors.

Ms Fazio revealed late yesterday that she believed the decision of the directors of the power companies who quit over the $5.3 billion sale not to appear before the inquiry was ''with just cause or reasonable excuse''.

''I am disappointed that the committee has tried to push the envelope this far,'' Ms Fazio said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom