• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSerrels

legend166 said:
Ew, no.

Public transport in Sydney is poor. The trains generally run on time, so that's not the issue. It's the fact that you get crammed into a small box on 35 degree days with no air conditioning and no hope of getting a seat. It's the fact that large parts of Sydney have no rail network. Until I was 18 I'd only ever been on a suburban train once in my life, because I lived on the Northern Beaches and the train was a 30 minute drive. In those places your only way of getting to the city is on the bus, where you're in the hands of Sydney's even worse road network. Military road has congestion? Sucks for you, it will now take you an hour and a half to travel 25km. I can't even imagine what it's like for the people in the Hills District.

It's way better than Melbourne's transport. Way better.

Yeah no air conditioning is bullshit - I'll agree with that. Being wedged between buttcheeks on a 35 degree is hellish. But you can get to most places in Sydney within reason. In general train networks can't take you everywhere you want to go. There are limits. In Melbourne you can't get anywhere. Adelaide is even worse.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
hamchan said:
Yep, though people get packed like sardines in Japanese peak hour. >_>

Not a pleasant experience.

Depend who you're being pushed up against.

Heeey-ooo!

Choc

Banned
Electronic Entertainment Design and Research analyst Jesse Divnich has a few ideas about what Sony meant by "an affordable price that's appropriate for the handheld gaming space" when talking about the NGP's launch price. Speaking with GamesIndustry, Divnich predicted that the device would retail for between $299 and $349 at launch, which ... um, seems a little high when compared to other contenders in the "handheld gaming space."

giri

I don't actually have a problem with brisbanes public transport, but with out hte ferry service the busses are getitng absolutely packed. They really do need to put on more services along ferry routes.

Choc

Banned
MrSerrels said:
In Melbourne you can't get anywhere. Adelaide is even worse.

this is true

but at least melbourne had the foresight not to rip up the tram system

then 30 years later want t orebuild it

fucking nsw

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/01/27/sony-39-s-yoshida-on-pricing-the-ngp.aspx

Yoshida did provide one further hint to go off of as we begin speculating about the price. When I brought up the initial shock at the PlayStation 3 launch price, he laughed and assured me, "It's not going to be $599." Well, that's a start.

MrSerrels

Choc said:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/01/27/sony-39-s-yoshida-on-pricing-the-ngp.aspx

Yoshida did provide one further hint to go off of as we begin speculating about the price. When I brought up the initial shock at the PlayStation 3 launch price, he laughed and assured me, "It's not going to be $599." Well, that's a start.

My prediction is...

$499-$599AU

Sony would be crazy to price it higher and go up against the new iPad. But the NGP needs to be a premium product and distinguish itself from the 3DS.

Choc

Banned
MrSerrels said:
My prediction is...

$499-$599AU

Sony would be crazy to price it higher and go up against the new iPad. But the NGP needs to be a premium product and distinguish itself from the 3DS.

can they seriously charge more for it than the ps3

Quasar

hamchan said:
$299 seems alright to me considering 3DS is $250.

That's what I expect, especially if they sell a wifi model. Most of the tech will be in phones and tablets then anyways so I think it will be hard for them to charge some kind of premium. Then again they might look at folks like Samsung. The 7" Samsung Tab is priced pretty crazily.

Mar

I consider myself a Sydney public transport veteran. I lived in Liverpool for 9 years and commuted into and out of the city for 5 of them.

Most of the complaints are complete rubbish and just people having a whinge. Trains are rarely late, and there are so many of them that it doesn't matter anyway. If you miss your train you've generally only got a 10 or 15 minute wait until the next one.

The only real issues of Sydney's public transport are the old trains with no air con, the security (they really need more security during night trips, you rarely see anyone), and how packed they get in peak times.

Otherwise, in the 5 years I've used trains and buses in Sydney, I haven't got any single valid complaint that could be held up under scrutiny. I'm convinced most Australians base what they think is a good service from TV, and have no idea how much that stuff costs nor would they be willing to fund it.

legend166

hamchan said:
$299 seems alright to me considering 3DS is $250.

I meant less of that, and more of this:

"After seeing the specs today, if the NGP can't succeed, it is clear that the portable gaming landscape has forever changed. The future of portable entertainment is in the hands of Sony."

As if somehow, somewhere in the last 20 years of portable gaming, a device won because it had high specs. And that now, if a high spec option failed, the 'portable gaming landscape has forever changed', even though it would literally be the perfect example of the phrase 'business as usual'.

To me, it doesn't seem like the 3DS graphics are even as good as the DS. They should be improved as well as going 3D. I don't really see the point of it other than Nintendo trying to milk a little more money by reselling games in 3D to bridge the gap to when they have a real DS successor. They're strategy recently is a lot like Apple's in that way, actually. Put out a new device every year or two with very minor updates to get the fanbase continually upgrading.

But Sony's approach is even worse. Seems they weren't sure if they wanted a smartphone, tablet, PS3 or something else so just threw everything in there. That's good from a developer point of view because you have great options, but I can't see it being cheap. And a 3G connection? Mobile data costs had better plummet to make it worthwhile.

legend166

codswallop said:
To me, it doesn't seem like the 3DS graphics are even as good as the DS. They should be improved as well as going 3D. I don't really see the point of it other than Nintendo trying to milk a little more money by reselling games in 3D to bridge the gap to when they have a real DS successor. They're strategy recently is a lot like Apple's in that way, actually. Put out a new device every year or two with very minor updates to get the fanbase continually upgrading.

Stop talking rubbish.

MrSerrels

Choc said:
can they seriously charge more for it than the ps3

Well, the 3DS will 100% cost more than the Wii. And I'm pretty sure the PSP cost more than the PS2 when it was released here.

Usually for these things precedent matters. Nintendo have charged $399 for their past three consoles.

I'm just going from screenshots like this http://media1.gameinformer.com/imag...idicarusuprising/kidicarusuprising346-610.jpg

I realise it will be smaller on screen so won't look as a bad as on a 24" screen but I've been underwhelmed from what I've seen thus far.

I expect in real life it would look a hell of a lot better, but I stand by my opinion that all they've done is make it 3D and add an analogue stick. Feels to me more of an incremental upgrade to test the waters before they release a better one in a couple of years time. Of course, they'll sell a shitload.

Edit: Didn't see that link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFWPM5XrzIk) before. That does look a lot better than most other things I've seen. Be interesting to see what it can render when it's not constricted to corridors.

Even Pilotwings looks alright, but it is quite simplistic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDAh5qLzwIw#t=58s

Quasar

codswallop said:
But Sony's approach is even worse. Seems they weren't sure if they wanted a smartphone, tablet, PS3 or something else so just threw everything in there. That's good from a developer point of view because you have great options, but I can't see it being cheap. And a 3G connection? Mobile data costs had better plummet to make it worthwhile.

Well my issue with 3G is that its so slow. And by the time the PSP2 is out LTE devices will be common. So I if I have a choice I'll get a wifi model and just add a hotspot for whatever is faster (probably not LTE in Australia). Its especially a problem given how long handheld generations last. Especially given the yearly cycle on other mobile tech.

Fredescu

codswallop said:
I expect in real life it would look a hell of a lot better, but I stand by my opinion that all they've done is make it 3D and add an analogue stick.
You don't need an opinion when we know the specs and know that it's got a lot more horsepower than it's predecessor.

Fredescu said:
You don't need an opinion when we know the specs and know that it's got a lot more horsepower than it's predecessor.
Better specs don't necessarily mean anything. Though in this case you're right.

I still give the 3DSi 18-24 months.

jambo said:
Haha codswallop, thanks for playing.
I'm able to admit when I'm wrong (I am so often, it's easy!), and in this case I was wrong on the graphics. But you have to agree, some of those screenshots look absolutely terrible.

I still believe their current strategy is to sell lots of minor upgrades. At least they're usually backwards compatible.

giri

Mar said:
I consider myself a Sydney public transport veteran. I lived in Liverpool for 9 years and commuted into and out of the city for 5 of them.

Most of the complaints are complete rubbish and just people having a whinge. Trains are rarely late, and there are so many of them that it doesn't matter anyway. If you miss your train you've generally only got a 10 or 15 minute wait until the next one.

The only real issues of Sydney's public transport are the old trains with no air con, the security (they really need more security during night trips, you rarely see anyone), and how packed they get in peak times.

Otherwise, in the 5 years I've used trains and buses in Sydney, I haven't got any single valid complaint that could be held up under scrutiny. I'm convinced most Australians base what they think is a good service from TV, and have no idea how much that stuff costs nor would they be willing to fund it.
I do have several complaints though. If you're over 6 foot tall, you can't sit in public busses with out hurting your kness, or contorting your body.

I'm sure i have more, but first i must attend to shaking my fist at clouds.

Choc

Banned
Mar people go overseas, see systems that work (such as Germany and London) and come home to shit

yes it would cost a lot which is the problem, but its not TV, its people experiencing decent public transport that does it

grampa_simpson_cloud.jpg

Fredescu

Mar said:

Fragmented ticketing system is another negative. If you need to switch between buses and trains you should be able to buy one ticket. On buses you can "charge" your ticket and use it a certain about of times, but on trains you buy it for a set period and if you fail to use it enough for it to be worth it, too bad for you.

I agree that trains are rarely late though. It's usually only bad weather that causes that. I would say that's mostly chocperbole (11 minutes lol).

jambo

Mar said:

Same for me with Adelaide.

Everyone always complains, but the trains, trams and buses all run on 10-15 minute schedules, unless you are farther out and then they are 20-30.

Everything has air conditioning and they are finally upgrading the trains to electricity, so everything is looking great.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
in other news, I'm officially enrolled in a Bachelor of Computer Science majoring in systems development course. Time to fill in some knowledge holes in my thinking sink.

hamchan

Rez said:
in other news, I'm officially enrolled in a Bachelor of Computer Science majoring in systems development course. Time to fill in some knowledge holes in my thinking sink.

I am also proud to announce I have left my Computer Science course to do an Economics degree majoring in Economics and Accounting, and an Arts degree majoring in Japanese studies. Now I have more time to bum around as my hours at uni are halved, YAY.

I wish Rez the best of luck with his degree and may he experience the enjoyment in Computer Science I was unable to.

jambo said:
Everyone always complains, but the trains, trams and buses all run on 10-15 minute schedules, unless you are farther out and then they are 20-30.
I know it's not fair to compare because the populations are very different, but in New York many people don't even know there is a timetable, because trains come at most 5 minutes apart, and run 24/7. In peak times they're 2-3 minutes apart. In Paris and London, it's about the same.

It's one of those "you think it's good until you see something that redefines good" things. Lucky for me (and unlucky for the environment) I almost never use public transport because it's not a viable alternative for me.

Choc

Banned
latest post on gamejournos called On ‘Game Journos’ & Game Journalism Industry, Cont’d

written by a third party

is thought provoking and brilliant

Fredescu

codswallop said:
in New York many people don't even know there is a timetable, because trains come at most 5 minutes apart, and run 24/7. In peak times they're 2-3 minutes apart.
Doing that for a dense 20 million is different to doing it for a sparse 4 million.

Choc

Banned
Fredescu said:
Doing that for a dense 20 million is different to doing it for a sparse 4 million.

yes fred but most people dont give a shit and dont think like that come home and start to think how crap everything is.

Put it on the other foot, imagine being a tourist in this fair city called Sydney trying to catch a bus or train. It would be a fucking nightmare

waiting 30 mins in the middle of the day for a train in the middle of the city (not for city circle but other lines), getting prepaid tickets you have no idea about for the bus

you'd wonder what planet we are from. Our transport is not welcoming to tourists @ all.

Don't get me started on the shit cab drivers pull...

Mar

giri said:
I do have several complaints though. If you're over 6 foot tall, you can't sit in public busses with out hurting your kness, or contorting your body.

Oh, yeah that's one thing that really pisses me off. I'm in pain on most bus trips... I should have remembered that seeing as now that I've moved to inner city I only catch buses now. I guess it's just become a part of life that I don't even notice.

Fredescu said:
Absolutely. And I'm sure there isn't the money to do that either.

The problem (at least in Melbourne) is that there's been no major infrastructure upgrades for two decades. In the past five years the number of passengers has hugely increased, partly because of the huge petrol hikes a year or two ago, and had the network seen some sort of upgrades it might have been able to cope.

My wife takes one train to work and one home, and I can't remember a day when at least one of them has been late.

Stackboy

I know it was a page ago, but I'm pretty excited about London Calling for RB3.

Still hanging out for Them Crooked Vultures full length and (it will never happen) an RX Bandits album in the game.

Choc

Banned
PRIME Minister Julia Gillard has gone on the defensive as criticism mounts of her government's controversial new flood levy.

Ms Gillard lost her cool in one combative radio interview today, angrily rejecting suggestions the $5.6 billion flood recovery money might be misspent.

"You don't need to patronise me, thank you very much," she told 3AW's Neil Mitchell, after he told her Australians would not accept any waste and mismanagement

According to early polls, most Australians are against the levy.

Ms Gillard insists the government has value-for-money at the top of its priorities, although she has repeatedly refused to take responsibility for any misspent money.

http://www.news.com.au/national/str...eve-done-our-bit/story-e6frfkvr-1225996233124

Shaneus

Choc said:
latest post on gamejournos called On ‘Game Journos’ & Game Journalism Industry, Cont’d

written by a third party

is thought provoking and brilliant
The layout of that post looks (and reads) like a haiku gone wrong.

giri

Mar said:
Oh, yeah that's one thing that really pisses me off. I'm in pain on most bus trips... I should have remembered that seeing as now that I've moved to inner city I only catch buses now. I guess it's just become a part of life that I don't even notice.
I had no idea you and fifi moved, your old place finally get sold?

Congrats, i guess.

I dont personally live INNER city, but i'm less than a $20 cab ride (i.e. less than 10minutes) out, so consider my self nice and close really :p and love it.

I should come visit you lot some time again. And make work pay.

Mar

giri said:
I had no idea you and fifi moved, your old place finally get sold?

Congrats, i guess.

I dont personally live INNER city, but i'm less than a $20 cab ride (i.e. less than 10minutes) out, so consider my self nice and close really :p and love it.

I should come visit you lot some time again. And make work pay.

Yeah, moved at the end of December. We are in Newtown now and it's great. The old place didn't get sold, we just hated living there and finally made an effort to live somewhere we liked.

Deeku

hamchan said:
I am also proud to announce I have left my Computer Science course to do an Economics degree majoring in Economics and Accounting, and an Arts degree majoring in Japanese studies. Now I have more time to bum around as my hours at uni are halved, YAY.

I wish Rez the best of luck with his degree and may he experience the enjoyment in Computer Science I was unable to.
Nice choices, go economics!
and accounting I guess...

If I was younger, I'd do an arts degree in Japanese as well but alas, I'll have to live with my mediocre intermediate level Japanese since I ran out of electives.

Aon

This headline popped up on my Age RSS feed a couple of minutes ago.

"Jetstar cancels flights as anger mounts"

A year ago, I used to imagine that the people whose flights were cancelled were responsible for the mounting anger. I now know Choc.

jambo

codswallop said:
I know it's not fair to compare because the populations are very different, but in New York many people don't even know there is a timetable, because trains come at most 5 minutes apart, and run 24/7. In peak times they're 2-3 minutes apart. In Paris and London, it's about the same.

It's one of those "you think it's good until you see something that redefines good" things. Lucky for me (and unlucky for the environment) I almost never use public transport because it's not a viable alternative for me.
I've been to London, Paris and New York and they all had late trains and what not.

In New York there is no air conditioning in the subway, so it's fucking disgusting on 30+ days, and trains break down a lot!

Choc

Banned
Aon said:
This headline popped up on my Age RSS feed a couple of minutes ago.

"Jetstar cancels flights as anger mounts"

A year ago, I used to imagine that the people whose flights were cancelled were responsible for the mounting anger. I now know Choc.

out.of.context.

Jetstar has cancelled all of today's return flights from Bali due to a volcanic ash cloud, as stranded passengers express anger over a lack of communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom