• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikron

BanShunsaku said:
Awesome, order placed :)

Saw that site earlier today but good to hear from someone who has used it before.

I'm new to this whole board game thing, should be interesting!

I have used games paradise before as well, stuff was shipped super fast and really well packaged up. Recommended.

I am tempted to order a few things.... gah!

Omi said:
I have used games paradise before as well, stuff was shipped super fast and really well packaged up. Recommended.

OK cool, good to hear.

I'm hosting a bit of a gathering in a few weeks so I got a few things. I've been meaning to get Carcassonne for ages, so I grabbed that. A couple of friends had recommended Settlers of Catan and Dominion, so I grabbed those. And then saw Ticket to Ride on the OT board games thread, which looked like something a beginner such as myself could easily pick up.

So yeh, there goes my video game budget for a while!

Agyar

BanShunsaku said:
OK cool, good to hear.

I'm hosting a bit of a gathering in a few weeks so I got a few things. I've been meaning to get Carcassonne for ages, so I grabbed that. A couple of friends had recommended Settlers of Catan and Dominion, so I grabbed those. And then saw Ticket to Ride on the OT board games thread, which looked like something a beginner such as myself could easily pick up.

So yeh, there goes my video game budget for a while!

Carcassonne is definitely a staple you want to have. I haven't played Settlers, which is something I've trying to rectify but most of my regular gaming group got their fix a while ago so they don't bring it along anymore. Haven't played TTR either.

Dominion is one of my favourites, it's particularly solid as a 2-player game, which is a really nice thing to have. My brother and I play it a lot and I've started collecting the expansions. Bought Intrigue and now Alchemy is on the way.

My other recommendation is Small World. It's probably the game that got me hooked me on board gaming, alongside Carcassonne. It's also Bernbaum approved.

Kritz

Banned
THE CONTINUING ADVENTURES OF MAGICKA:

It's still broken as shit.

I recorded me, Aniseed and BananaArnie playing tonight. I might edit it together tomorrow and post it for fun. Hopefully the game gets fixed soon. :(

Oh, wait, didn't I say I was working on editing together the amnesia video from our last game night?

Oh, wait, didn't I start a superhero comic that I wanted to complete?

Oh, wait, didn't I start up a Dark Heresy game that we only got two sessions into?

Oh, wait, didn't I ....

Agyar said:
Carcassonne is definitely a staple you want to have. I haven't played Settlers, which is something I've trying to rectify but most of my regular gaming group got their fix a while ago so they don't bring it along anymore. Haven't played TTR either.

Dominion is one of my favourites, it's particularly solid as a 2-player game, which is a really nice thing to have. My brother and I play it a lot and I've started collecting the expansions. Bought Intrigue and now Alchemy is on the way.

My other recommendation is Small World. It's probably the game that got me hooked me on board gaming, alongside Carcassonne. It's also Bernbaum approved.

Thanks for the recommendations, Small World looks good, I'll keep it in mind for my next order ;)

Good to hear Dominion works well as a 2 player game, one of the main reasons I'm getting back into board games is for spending more time with my long suffering partner. She loves board games but isn't as keen on video games.

Does Small World play well with 2 players?

Omikron

Agyar said:

I read up about dominion, but it sounded a bit too similar to Race for the Galaxy which I already have, is that completely the wrong impression?

Omikron

Choc said:
Omi you watching deadline day?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9380667.stm

its going nuts

Haha yeah... keeping an eye on guardian as well, just because I like the guardian. :p

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/31/transfer-window-deadline-day-live

Liverpool despite looking like spending over the odds on Carroll, I think have done ok, Torres out for 50 million (ridiculous), seeing he didn't want to be there seems a good bit of business on their part. And they get Suarez and Carroll.

jambo

Choc said:
by pushing the clock forward you finish work at '4pm' and as such are in higher heat then 5pm (generally)

that is why its a load of shti
But you get an extra hour of sunlight in the evening to do stuff outside.

It only sucks on the 3-4 days of the year when the mercury climbs over 40.

It's not a load of shit, you sensationalist!

Omikron

jambo said:
But you get an extra hour of sunlight in the evening to do stuff outside.

It only sucks on the 3-4 days of the year when the mercury climbs over 40.

It's not a load of shit, you sensationalist!

I am with Jambo, I would much rather have the light at the end of the day to do stuff than have it wasted early in the morning. ;)

jambo

My housemate and I were able to knock the cricket ball around for a bit last night because of DST =D. Without it we would have been doomed to non cricketing boredom =[

Gazunta

AusGAF, what are the best DVRs on sale in Australia? Can they also connect to the internet for things like iView?

I'm really trying to get rid of Foxtel...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Damn you valve and bank! I guess i really do need to wait for the maximum of 45 days, it should be an automated process. I'm guessing it would be a cluster fuck to try and get an affidavit along with faxing it to the USofA. The wait continues i guess D:

Hello, If your bank's system will not work in returning the funds that were charged back to us automatically, you can have them fax us this information so that we can grant an exception to this case. I have copied this information from our first reply to make things quicker: If your bank is unable to withdraw the chargeback, we will need them to fax an affidavit that clearly states that they are unable to withdraw the chargeback and more importantly that the chargeback was not due to the credit card being used fraudulently. Please have them fax it to <Number> Attn: Fraud Department. Make sure that your bank has included the phone number for their dispute department so that we can verify the statement with them. Please reference this ticket number, <number> , on your cover letter. As soon as we can confirm this information with your bank, we will review the situation and try to get authorization to make an exception and reactivate the account even though the chargeback is still pending.

Choc

Banned
evlcookie said:
Damn you valve and bank! I guess i really do need to wait for the maximum of 45 days, it should be an automated process. I'm guessing it would be a cluster fuck to try and get an affidavit along with faxing it to the USofA. The wait continues i guess D:

blood from a stone getting a bank to sign an affidavit

evlcookie said:
Damn you valve and bank! I guess i really do need to wait for the maximum of 45 days, it should be an automated process.
Make sure you keep calling the bank for updates. Whenever I've had disputes they never bother updating you, and will only ever tell you the final result. You could always offer to fax anything yourself and have them reimburse you. I managed to get a credit when my credit card was cancelled while in London (despite me telling them twice I would be there), and the free call number didn't work, requiring me to call long distance to get it fixed.

legend166

Ring up and give em hell, cookie. Say you'll take your business elsewhere unless they help. And you'll call the ombudsman and A Current Affair.

Agyar

Omi said:
I read up about dominion, but it sounded a bit too similar to Race for the Galaxy which I already have, is that completely the wrong impression?

I haven't played RtfG (although I just ordered it from GP on the weekend) but from what I've read, there's a lot of underlying differences between it and Dominion. The biggest difference appears to be that while in both games you're trying to acquire victory points, Dominion is about building an effective deck using a known supply from which you purchase and RftG is about effectively playing the chance-based cards you acquire during the game. Also Dominion appears to have a simpler ruleset and is apparently faster to teach to new players. RftG seems to need more games before you get your head around the iconography and rules.

Being a fan of Dominion, RftG came highly recommended so I imagine that reccommendation works both ways.

jambo

Problems with Optus in Adelaide and possible Melbourne this morning. Both my iPhone 4 and iPad can't get a 3G or data connection. It was fine last night, I downloaded Magicka on Steam via my iPhone tethering, but this morning neither device will connect.

I'm not getting work emails so it's getting very frustrating! >=[

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Gazunta said:
AusGAF, what are the best DVRs on sale in Australia? Can they also connect to the internet for things like iView?

If you want the best option, It's illegal though! Piracy of course.

If you want the best non illegal option for recording local TV then maybe something like a TiVo? That's about the only thing i can think of. There's another box but i'm not too sure if it's as user friendly as the tivo and i've forgotten it's damn name. Not sure if tivo does iview though, maybe the newer version does. I don't remember seeing an iview option on the older version my folks have.

You could of course build a small pc with a tv card and just go from there.

Also, Whirlpool.

I should clarify piracy is only if you want international tv. If you want local only + iview then it's probably going to be a tivo or equiv.

Gazunta said:
AusGAF, what are the best DVRs on sale in Australia?
You could try building a MythTV box (Mythbuntu is pretty easy) and connect that to an XBMC frontend. XBMC can connect to the Live TV (though it's not that user friendly yet), watch recordings and has plugins that are (mostly) compatible with the catchup services.

Personally I use Windows Media Center to record shows and then have them shared over the network to an XBMC frontend in another room. Doesn't timeshift or remove ads, and I can't watch while it's recording (unless I sit at the PC) but it's a lot less work.

Fredescu

evlcookie said:
I should clarify piracy is only if you want international tv. If you want local only + iview then it's probably going to be a tivo or equiv.
Why only for local? I find it easier to justify for local. I have a capture card, but I really cbfd using it when people do the job for me.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Fredescu said:
Why only for local? I find it easier to justify for local. I have a capture card, but I really cbfd using it when people do the job for me.

That's true. But you can set it up so it will capture and encode to whatever format you want, say MKV. I know a mate of mine has run that setup and i think he still does, I should double check.

Gazunta

Sorry guys I think you're overestimating how much effort I'm willing to put into this. :)

I just want to buy a box that I plug into my TV, plug the aerial cable into and it will record local TV for me to watch later from all the digital stations. Ideally, iView would be one of the 'channels' I can watch on it too.

IE: i want to be able to turn my TV on and watch the last few episodes of Conan, which it automatically recorded at 3am the night before or whenever the hell Nine puts it on. And automatically grab Simpsons from when Eleven put it on.

Overseas stuff I can continue to acquire and watch via...traditional means. (Though it would be nice if this box of mine could accept a USB drive and play from that like my Xbox does)

Shaneus

Gazunta said:

A few coworkers have just bought this Topfield box and swear by it. I think they picked it up for around $450 or so and does pretty much everything. It's not Freeview certified either which means you're not crippled by their bizarre standards. I believe you can watch MKVs on it as well, and has component-in recording.

In that case I would recommend any el cheapo PVR you can find, assuming you already know what it is you want to watch. I have a Topfield STB and it's pretty good, but it is almost never used (last use was during the World Cup) so I assume their PVRs would be good as recommended above.

Tivo is good if you want to "discover" new programs as it has a recommendation engine of some sort which looks at what you record. But otherwise they are quite expensive.

Look for a twin tuner unit if you want to record and watch something else simultaneously.

jambo said:
Problems with Optus in Adelaide and possible Melbourne this morning.
http://yesopt.us/15 (why the hell they chose Facebook as a place to make announcements is beyond me)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
3DS back to $348 on EB Games' site. Looks like someone let the cat out of the bag ;)

Shaneus

evlcookie said:
Topfield was the brand i was thinking about but couldn't remember.

Nice work :D
Yeah, they're awesome. I have one of the SD ones with twin tuners and it kicks all kinds of arse. I was swayed to the dark side of anything-but-Topfield by PlayTV (which is a load of toss, especially considering I can't use it while B-speccing in GT5) but still have it in my bedroom. It's well worth checking them out if you're willing to shell out that kind of money, Gaz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom