• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

So damn hot in Sydney today.

According to weather.com.au the heat wave isn't going to last as long as they originally said though. 27 on Saturday.

jambo

legend166 said:
So damn hot in Sydney today.

According to weather.com.au the heat wave isn't going to last as long as they originally said though. 27 on Saturday.
It was 11 degrees hotter here yesterday.

Pansy =P

Gazunta

About $500 was what i was expecting to spend, so the Topfield looks just about perfect! Thanks very much for the heads up Shaneus!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Gazunta said:
About $500 was what i was expecting to spend, so the Topfield looks just about perfect! Thanks very much for the heads up Shaneus!

I have a Topfield, it is awesome, look into IceTV too.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wow, looks like I'll be importing 3DS everything when Paper Mario is released (because Paper Mario is the killer app everyone needs to own, if you haven't played Paper Mario Gamecube you are missing out on so much quality END BRACKETS)

Kirby102

So I'm looking for a decent monitor setup to replace my crappy 17" LCD.

I'm looking at this monitor here (Asus VE248H), which is going for $245, but I'm intending on getting two.

Looking for something similar, help me AusGAF!

VOOK

2zizih3.jpg

^ Bet ya someone sexy wrote that 3DS feature. Just saying.

Gazunta

I will buy Hyper for the first time in 15 years to support the sexiness of sexy writers.

(And by "15 years" I mean "15 years ago when we politely asked them to stop stealing stuff from our website and they laughed")

Kirby102

giri said:
In general i believe these are considered about the best gaming monitors going around.

http://www.computeralliance.com.au/parts.aspx?qryPart=10688
Hmm, 3D monitors... would that be necessary, though they're not full HD though, I was hoping I'd take advantage of the 1080p.

Fredescu said:
Any particular requirements, like certain ports, a certain minimum size, a certain budget? If you're willing to sacrifice size for image quality, something like this could be worth it to you: http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/p...dhs&redirect=1

>24", Full HD and HDMI at least... :D and... erm maybe max $250 for one monitor.

giri

Kirby102 said:
Hmm, 3D monitors... would that be necessary, though they're not full HD though, I was hoping I'd take advantage of the 1080p.

>24", Full HD and HDMI at least... :D and... erm maybe max $250 for one monitor.
They get used a lot by pc gamers for the 120hz refresh rate. If you're using it more for tv/console stuff, might not be as necessary.

VOOK

evlcookie said:
Bern or Vook, Both would at least create someone sexy i guess!

I didn't make the cover, just the words for the feature inside :p

Gazunta said:
I will buy Hyper for the first time in 15 years to support the sexiness of sexy writers.

<3

Shaneus

'grats Vook! I have a pile (well, several) of Hyper mags, I will add to the collection after abstaining for at least a decade (possibly longer).

Gaz: Don't quote me on the MKV stuff. I know it says it supports the h264 codec, but I don't know in what capacity. I suspect you might struggle to find it at that price (there's the same model with a larger HDD for a bit more) but that should give you a ballpark figure to go by.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Grats vook.

VKS just spam buttons in sf4, stick your tongue out of your mouth while you play to intimidate local players the 3DS picks up on and win.

The cool change in melbourne is finally here. So gooooood

Mar

hamchan said:
I'm sitting in the nice cool air-con at 24 degrees. Mwahahahaha

Not anymore!

VOOK said:
2zizih3.jpg

^ Bet ya someone sexy wrote that 3DS feature. Just saying.

It amazes me this mag is still going. So much in fact that I hope to make some good coin when I finally get off my ass and put issue 1 to 50 on ebay.

hamchan said:
We can start an AusGAF SF4 group. We're all bad at the game right?
When I tried it out, I played as some goth lolita chick and somehow, by mashing the buttons, managed to beat another chick with a fake wearing a vest and yellow glasses. My finishing move appeared to be to slap her with my scarf. My goth-lolita scarf.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
HAHA. Looks like the residents around malvern are sucking up too much power with their Aircon (open your doors, it's fucking cool outsite!) and there's now a power outage.

Hilarious.

Aon

About that Dark Heresy game mentioned on the other page, I have content waiting to go once we hear from Clipper again.

He's gone missing.

Choc

Banned
just so everyone knows it officially hit 40 in the Sydney CBD for 10 mins earlier today

so syd's first 40 degree day in a while

also, well done vooko, i should have that soon and will let you know what i think :)

i was thinking of going to the second session of the one day tommorow at SCG but its going to be 31 degrees for evening session, no thanks

its going to be 29 fucking degrees @ midnight tonight

Stackboy

I stopped buying Hyper when one of the issues included 2 whole pages on one of the writers getting married. Because it was a video game themed wedding it made press. Yeah.

Bernbaum

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of content in the last print magazine I bought in, oh, October last year.

Anyone with half a clue knows that the best writers typically aren't the guys or gals who play the most games - the real strength is in the art of mashing words together in a creative and articulate way. The Hyper I grew up reading did that well, and the recent examples of Edge, and the local ONM, OXM rags have contained some great examples of quality writing.

For the online guys like IGN, I get the impression that all they really know is video games. Sure, they might have other interests like Firefly or a Marvel comic franchise, but too many of their core hobbies are closely intertwined 'nerd' interests with gaming at their core. Yesterday I watched a semi-professional behind the scenes of the IGN offices. It was crap, and only reiniforced my bias against that cesspool of mediocrity. But what really stood out is that gaming permeates every aspect of their lives - their desks are littered with gaming - and only gaming - paraphernalia, and it's all they talk about on their blogs. At least the Giant Bomb guys voluntarily let a bit of non-gaming chatter leak into their weekly deliberations.

I'm sure the kids at IGN et al. know their games really well - the history; technical aspects; the names behind the product - better than most on GAF, but because they've studied themselves into a corner, their 'cultural myopia' limits the amount of colour they let bleed into their work. I'll take an article written by a guy who only plays a dozen games a year but listens to Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky; is familiar with pre-1980's cinema and has read a book that doesn't have a dragonsword/space hero/cape-wearer on the front, over that of something dribbled out by the guy who sleeps in Yoshi pyjamas and has read all the Halo books.

For whatever reason, either culturally or by experience, I think the people in print have a better appreciation for the editorial process and produce better copy (even if they bitch and moan on my twitterfeed). There is a noticeable canyon in the level of quality between online and print journalism. The print guys also enjoy the liberty of not being tied down by the internet timescale, where if it's already online, it's already stale. As such, they have the freedom of time to really bang out a well-written chunk of text (even if it is borderline advertisement) and they take a more considered approach to their work.

So yes, from the few opportunities I've had to read it, I like print gaming journalism. Too bad the format is no longer amenable to my digital lifestyle.

EDIT: I really like what the guys at Pixelhunt are doing. More power to 'em.

Fredescu

legend166 said:
You can always rent like we do :p
Manly-ish right? Rentals there cost more than my (minimum) mortage repayments. I'll take the heat along with easy access to cheap produce and generally cruisy local traffic conditions. I can handle the lack of cafes and culture, I'm too old for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom