• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agyar

Bernbaum said:
I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of content in the last print magazine I bought in, oh, October last year.

Anyone with half a clue knows that the best writers typically aren't the guys or gals who play the most games - the real strength is in the art of mashing words together in a creative and articulate way. The Hyper I grew up reading did that well, and the recent examples of Edge, and the local ONM, OXM rags have contained some great examples of quality writing.

For the online guys like IGN, I get the impression that all they really know is video games. Sure, they might have other interests like Firefly or a Marvel comic franchise, but too many of their core hobbies are closely intertwined 'nerd' interests with gaming at their core. Yesterday I watched a semi-professional behind the scenes of the IGN offices. It was crap, and only reiniforced my bias against that cesspool of mediocrity. But what really stood out is that gaming permeates every aspect of their lives - their desks are littered with gaming - and only gaming - paraphernalia, and it's all they talk about on their blogs. At least the Giant Bomb guys voluntarily let a bit of non-gaming chatter leak into their weekly deliberations.

I'm sure the kids at IGN et al. know their games really well - the history; technical aspects; the names behind the product - better than most on GAF, but because they've studied themselves into a corner, their 'cultural myopia' limits the amount of colour they let bleed into their work. I'll take an article written by a guy who only plays a dozen games a year but listens to Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky; is familiar with pre-1980's cinema and has read a book that doesn't have a dragonsword/space hero/cape-wearer on the front, over that of something dribbled out by the guy who sleeps in Yoshi pyjamas and has read all the Halo books.

For whatever reason, either culturally or by experience, I think the people in print have a better appreciation for the editorial process and produce better copy (even if they bitch and moan on my twitterfeed). There is a noticeable canyon in the level of quality between online and print journalism. The print guys also enjoy the liberty of not being tied down by the internet timescale, where if it's already online, it's already stale. As such, they have the freedom of time to really bang out a well-written chunk of text (even if it is borderline advertisement) and they take a more considered approach to their work.

So yes, from the few opportunities I've had to read it, I like print gaming journalism. Too bad the format is no longer amenable to my digital lifestyle.

EDIT: I really like what the guys at Pixelhunt are doing. More power to 'em.

I like you.

The concept of "cultural myopia" really rings true of the video games press and I think it's damaging to the industry as a whole. Games press are revered and rewarded for existing in a vacuum and as such, contributors with a modicum of experience with anything outside of video games/technology/anime are drowned out and either move on or change to suit the apparent needs of the audience. The end result is the homogenised group-think that makes us believe the plot in GTA-4 deserves an Oscar.

I guess one could argue that it's our fault for lapping up the firehose of shit IGN et. al. produce but when you have to put so much effort into finding something of value, I think there's a wider problem.

Gazunta

I just want to add that I used to be one of those guys Bern's talking about - and realising it was one of the greatest days of my life. Never looked back!

I would still sleep in Yoshi pyjamas if they came in my size though

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
see, I don't think it's damaging to the industry as a whole because i don't believe the majority of the people actually building games, or at least directing and pitching games, are living in the great big gaming-sphere exclusively. particularly in the indie space, and the like.

It may be damaging to the gaming press, specifically, but as far as I'm concerned that's a long since lost battle.

edit: to be less vague, I feel like creativity itself is just one big interconnected sphere that the best of the best are usually aware of the different degrees. I feel like in order to do something creative in one field, you need to, at the very least, be aware of what others trends are developing in another, and read the current culture surrounding your medium appropriately and then work up from there.

for instance, I think some of the best musicians in the world have a very deep understanding of certain kinds of literature or film or art. it's all about drawing inspiration from a huge palette of sources to keep things from become too homogenised. The ability to step outside yourself and view things from a zoomed-out perspective is one of THE most important qualities when you try and create anything. I'd like to believe gaming feeds into this same stream, albeit in a much less influential way.

the obstacle the gaming press has to overcome is that it is very rarely creative. there is very little need for them to draw influence from other fields simply because Greg Miller-alikes are employable. Culture doesn't care about the gaming press, so it's up to the press themselves to apply themselves, and -- uh -- sometimes it's just more comfortable to keep wearing away that one track in your brain, I guess.

Omikron

Fredescu said:
Just another day in Western Sydney.

I live in the north-east fringes of melbourne and it feels much the same, no nice sea breezes to cool you down in the afternoons! :(

I should move home back south I think. Hobart weather is pretty awesome.

Agyar

Rez said:
see, I don't think it's damaging to the industry as a whole because i don't believe the majority of the people actually building games, or at least directing and pitching games, are living in the great big gaming-sphere exclusively. particularly in the indie space, and the like.

It may be damaging to the gaming press, specifically, but as far as I'm concerned that's a long since lost battle.

Individual members of development studios might not be, but when they're being run and bankrolled by publishers who use the games press as a marketing mouthpiece, it can only be damaging to the creative evolution of the industry as a whole. If more of the games press acted like real journalists and called out some of the industry's bullshit, publishers might have to adjust their priorities. Until then, we will all continue to buy Modern Ballsfare 3 because IGN told us it's the new hot shit because Activision told them it's the hottest new shit and Activision will keep making Modern Ballsfare because 6 months has passed and IGN are recording a buttload of page hits against the "announcement of the announcement of Modern Ballsfare 4" story they splashed across every page on the internet.

Rez said:
edit: to be less vague, I feel like creativity itself is just one big interconnected sphere that the best of the best are usually aware of the different degrees. I feel like in order to do something creative in one field, you need to, at the very least, be aware of what others trends are developing in another, and read the current culture surrounding your medium appropriately and then work up from there.

for instance, I think some of the best musicians in the world have a very deep understanding of certain kinds of literature or film or art. it's all about drawing inspiration from a huge palette of sources to keep things from become too homogenised. The ability to step outside yourself and view things from a zoomed-out perspective is one of THE most important qualities when you try and create anything. I'd like to believe gaming feeds into this same stream, albeit in a much less influential way.

I understand and agree with what you're saying about creative palettes but as above, I do believe the current state of video games press discourages this from occuring.

legend166

Choc said:
thats a rental? really?

i thought you would own that place (well your parents)

Interesting story that maybe one day I'll tell.

Run down is this:

- Parents got divorced (this is when we moved from the Northern Beaches)
- Father now lives in Brisbane, may have been washed away in floods, not sure, don't care
- Four out of five of my siblings (oldest is married) now live with my mum on the North Shore in which is more akin to a share house situation than a traditional 'living at home' situation.

Moral of the story - Fred, find four other people to split rent with!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I actually kind of addressed that in my edit to my edit!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
to be honest I can't even remember why I started saying what I was saying and what I said

thinking out loud syndrome

Danoss

Agyar

I'm still intending to purchase a 24" UltraSharp at some point. Any leads on a better price than Dell.com for that model?

Edit: Harris Technology has it for $598 plus $14 postage, which is about $100 cheaper than buying from Dell.

Mar

I've read gaming publications and web sites for most of my life. I've never found much of a reason to be upset over badly written articles or reviews. I find the publications I like and stick with them. Gamasutra, Edge etc.

You're always going to have the critics that drive the dumb stuff for dumb people. Hollywood has their Entertainment Tonight, pop music has their commercial radio stations and MTV. IGN and other mainstream websites and magazines are just catering to the masses and doing what every other medium does. Just as a commercial radio station will push the worst pop song and therefore more terrible pop songs get made, IGN will push metacritic and encourage more vapid games.

But that's just the way people work. There's still plenty of cool stuff to play, movies to watch and music to listen to.

The whole broohaha over that IGN Dead Space 2 review was ridiculous. Kids who don't have a mastery of the written word getting paid to write? Shocking. That's never happened before. I just think it's cool the guy gets paid to do what he enjoys.

markot

Banned
Wait for a deal, dell always have deals and I think once up to $100 off on that model... I almost got one >.< But I dont think you can actually get dell moniters from anywhere but dell australia.

They also have an ebay channel that they do some deals on too.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mar said:
I just think it's cool the guy gets paid to do what he enjoys.
You know what I think is cool? Hard-work. Lot's of it. A heart-warming story would be a 'kid' putting in the hard-yards, learning the ropes over a couple of years and genuinely adding something worthwhile into the giant pool that is gaming discussion (a subset of the larger internet discussion, which is in turn a subset of 'thinking'). Rewarding mediocrity isn't helping anyone get anywhere.

jambo

So I need to get an amp and some speakers. I currently have my Logitech Z-5500D's plugged in to my HDTV via optical out, but they only give you 5.1 when you're watching digital or HD television. Anything over HDMI (PS3, 360, etc) will come out as PCM stereo.

So I figure the best plan of action is to save up and buy a decent amp and some speakers. I want something with at least 3 HDMI inputs (PS3, 360 and Foxtel) and obviously a HDMI output so I can run it to the HDTV.

Suggestions?

Mar

Rez said:
You know what I think is cool? Hard-work. Lot's of it. A heart-warming story would be a 'kid' putting in the hard-yards, learning the ropes over a couple of years and genuinely adding something worthwhile into the giant pool that is gaming discussion (a subset of the larger internet discussion, which is in turn a subset of 'thinking'). Rewarding mediocrity isn't helping anyone get anywhere.

For all we know he could have worked harder than both of us combined.

Agyar

jambo said:
So I need to get an amp and some speakers. I currently have my Logitech Z-5500D's plugged in to my HDTV via optical out, but they only give you 5.1 when you're watching digital or HD television. Anything over HDMI (PS3, 360, etc) will come out as PCM stereo.

So I figure the best plan of action is to save up and buy a decent amp and some speakers. I want something with at least 3 HDMI inputs (PS3, 360 and Foxtel) and obviously a HDMI output so I can run it to the HDTV.

Suggestions?

Buy the finest cheapest Pioneer receiver, speakers are harder and depend on a number of your requirements.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mar said:
For all we know he could have worked harder than both of us combined.
if a tree falls in the woods and all that

Danoss

Agyar said:
I'm still intending to purchase a 24" UltraSharp at some point. Any leads on a better price than Dell.com for that model?

Edit: Harris Technology has it for $598 plus $14 postage, which is about $100 cheaper than buying from Dell.
For the same price, you could have 2 Dell 23" Ultrasharp monitors. If you don't need the wide colour gamut, then 2 x 23" is the better choice (especially for gaming). Unless you don't have the deskspace for them of course.

rass

Zaro said:
Anyone elses Gmail hacked by Nigerians recently?
one of my friends' was about a month ago, got all sorts of interesting business proposals from him for a week or so until he got it sorted

Arozay

rass said:
one of my friends' was about a month ago, got all sorts of interesting business proposals from him for a week or so until he got it sorted
It took me like 10 minutes to sort it out and change all of my passwords. Only annoying thing is I don't know how long it was compromised for and what was sent (only one email wasn't deleted, usual money begging scam).

Last recent activity doesn't go back far enough so I only know that the hacker had it for 1 hour minimum.

Choc

Banned
In entertainment there is a saying, you're only as good as your last performance

The same goes for writing reviews. You are going to be critqued, fuck knows that david and margeret are constantly critqued by people same with Ebert etc

If you're going to be in a position to critque things you have to expect critique yourself. Greg lots a lot of respect that day.

The thing is everyone writes differently that is fine. But when a paid professional writers a review that feels like its something you see as a first game review of someone on a blog (actually no thats unfair i wouldnt go that bad but not what you would expect from the worlds leading game site) then its a bit much.

The guy has produced reviews in the past which are good or do the job. That one i'm afraid didn't. We are all speculating as to why he wrote that way but his credibility right now is shot because of that last review

you're only as good as your last review.

The best response from him would be to review the next big game and review it well however anotehr fair response would be to review it the exact same way. If its his review style so be it, but its not and thats what caused the absolute shitstorm.

Anyone in games industry has tons of gaming shit all over their desk guys. When I worked in the media I was sent dead set promo shit for games almost every day. It goes on the desk and piles up and you have lots of it. In an office environment where everyone is playing games or writing about them, it becomes a little indication of what shit you like. I am not saying its a good thing but thats what happens.

Gaming is a lot different to every other medium for reviews and media for a number of reasons. Why do gamers want to review games?

1) free games
2) Seeing stuff early
3) street cred and being seen as cool
4) they may generally want to write stuff about something they love. That's all good

compared to movie reviewers. When was teh last time a movie reviewer asked or demanded to see an early cut of a film and then write about it, try hardly ever.

Free movies? Sure, but probably not as bigger pull as games

street cred. Sure but you sure as shit are relied upon a lot more. Your name is mud if you get it wrong

4) A VERY big one in movies is this one. You can tell with David and Margeret they have a love of the medium and want to drive it forward.

Game reviewers, generally not.

Shaneus

Mar said:
It amazes me this mag is still going. So much in fact that I hope to make some good coin when I finally get off my ass and put issue 1 to 50 on ebay.
Not before I do! I think I have 1 through 100, too... I remained a subscriber long after their best years had passed.
Gazunta said:
I just want to add that I used to be one of those guys Bern's talking about - and realising it was one of the greatest days of my life. Never looked back!

I would still sleep in Yoshi pyjamas if they came in my size though
No shit, around which years/issues did you work with them?

I can still roll the names of about three or four of the writers early on that really entertained me. Andrew Humphreys was far-and-away my favourite.

I remember the first few issues of Hyper that had ads in them for a drink called Stuff. It was one of the first drinks to have guarana in it in those days (1993-1994?). Anyone remember that?

jambo

Agyar said:
Buy the finest cheapest Pioneer receiver, speakers are harder and depend on a number of your requirements.
Someone pointed me to this, which is basically the cheapest Pioneer amp that has DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD and multiple HDMI in, plus decent speakers. Might save up my pennies and then ask for $800.

Shaneus

fappenmeister said:
I remember the first few issues of Hyper that had ads in them for a drink called Stuff. It was one of the first drinks to have guarana in it in those days (1993-1994?). Anyone remember that?
Vaguely. One of the things I remember (actually, I remember a lot but that's not what this post is about) was a massive article on Australian dance music (issue 2 w/ Sonic on the cover, I think). When it covered more than games, it was awesome.

I also remember the ads for Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend. For some reason that was the first left-of-centre anime I really wanted to see. Not sure why. Definitely not because of the tits in the ad, though ;)

Agyar

jambo said:
Someone pointed me to this, which is basically the cheapest Pioneer amp that has DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD and multiple HDMI in, plus decent speakers. Might save up my pennies and then ask for $800.

You don't even need one that can decode DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD if your source can do it, which some Blu-ray players and the PS3 can do.

Bernbaum

So Dragon Age is a breath of fresh air.

The visuals are uninteresting and technically bland; it was clearly built to be played as a PC adventure (imma on the 360); and the universe is as generically 'Fantasy 101' as they come.

Because of those shortcomings, I'm playing it without any real drive to take my character, B'ern Baum the elf mage, in any particular direction, and have responded to each situation purely on how my feel I'd personally react. It's refreshing coming off the back of Mass Effect 2: an experience that I was determined to shape in a very particular way (super-Paragon goody two shoes; everyone survives - even Jack). The perpetually grey path the game sticks to means I can play it without my usual OCD approach to a role-playing endeavour. That and the core RPG systems are entirely unrevolutionary but firmly robust because of it.

Bernbaum said:
So Dragon Age is a breath of fresh air.

The visuals are uninteresting and technically bland; it was clearly built to be played as a PC adventure (imma on the 360); and the universe is as generically 'Fantasy 101' as they come.

Because of those shortcomings, I'm playing it without any real drive to take my character, B'ern Baum the elf mage, in any particular direction, and have responded to each situation purely on how my feel I'd personally react. It's refreshing coming off the back of Mass Effect 2: an experience that I was determined to shape in a very particular way (super-Paragon goody two shoes; everyone survives - even Jack). The perpetually grey path the game sticks to means I can play it without my usual OCD approach to a role-playing endeavour. That and the core RPG systems are entirely unrevolutionary but firmly robust because of it.

I always play choose-your-own-adventure style dialog like ME2 and DA as if I was the character the first time through. Next time is usually evil the whole way through, my first run through is generally goody-goody unless I hate a particular character.

Danoss

It's just before 8am (7am non-DST) in Sydney and it's about to break 30 degrees. Gotta love it.

BOM says it'll only be 35 where I am today. Riiiiiight.

One thing I have noticed since going back to Dragon Age is just how much bloody dialogue there is. Maybe its just me but there seems to be a lot more conversation than in Mass Effect 2.

Another thing I noticed which I don't remember from my previous time spent with the game is just how funny a lot of the dialogue is. I also love that they don't really punish you for being a complete smartarse prick, which I enjoy. On my previous play through I stuck to the "good" options, this time I am just reacting depending on my mood at the time.

Only negative I am really experiencing with it at the moment is that I'm finding it hard to play during the week when my time is a bit limited. With ME2 I could pop in the disc and just play a mission or two pretty quickly, I kinda feel with Dragon Age that if I try to play in the same way I start to rush through the conversations and don't stop to smell the roses, which I feel is doing the game an injustice. Cos those roses smell damn good.

Choc

Banned
rez i finished ghost trick, its pretty good.

if you haven't finished don't look at this

did you think the ending was batshit insane. I kinda like how the game didn't give away at all the ending and it wasn't cliche, i was like WTF i am a CAT?!

Rez said:
would you describe it as good, nasty or badass?

Badassssssssssss

But seriously, that was just a DAII demo thing wasn't it? I know there will have to be some sort of flirting option as well... That girl in the trailer has some big cans

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, the ending is rolling along as expected in a typical anime-ish story and then all of a sudde -- oh my god what

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Maybe it's the words revenge for all those beautiful one day, perfect the next adverts and for having all the theme parks in one location.

I have sent samsung an email asking if i can get a replacement PCB for a hard drive. I look forward to them telling me there's not a chance in hell.

I was going to send a "stern" secure message to NAB but then my session in internet banking timed out so i gave up. I'm terrible at being angry at people who are not directly responsible for faults.

Bernbaum

Rez said:
would you describe it as good, nasty or badass?
For what it's worth, a twitterfeed yielding @fullbright @ja2ke @chrisremo and @nickbreckon is the closest substitute we're going to have for a while.

Dragon Age conversations have a liberating 'consequence-free' progression. I can take the discussion in any way I like and not pick up any naughty points. The voicework is pretty damn good and the script has been thought out in a way that all the myriad number of conversational outcomes flows well and feels organic.

giri

Bernbaum said:
For what it's worth, a twitterfeed yielding @fullbright @ja2ke @chrisremo and @nickbreckon is the closest substitute we're going to have for a while.

Dragon Age conversations have a liberating 'consequence-free' progression. I can take the discussion in any way I like and not pick up any naughty points. The voicework is pretty damn good and the script has been thought out in a way that all the myriad number of conversational outcomes flows well and feels organic.
There are some consequences, but not game ending altering ones. You always end up fighting the arch demon, It just tweaks how you get there a bit.

Bernbaum said:

I still can't decide if Leliana's accent is fantastically sexy or fucking terrible.

giri said:
I side with Sexy. Because in comparison to alistair, everythings better.

I don't mind Alistair actually... Although I remember playing DA shortly after finishing Uncharted 2, and hearing Chloe and Harry as Morrigan and Alistair was very strange.

Mar

giri said:
I side with Sexy. Because in comparison to alistair, everythings better.

I still need to play the Leliana's Song DLC. Might do that this week actually.

I wrote a thing on Witch Hunt, the Morrigan DLC. I'll provide a link once this new project thing I'm working on is ok'd for launch (valentines day, of all days).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom