• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
question

will the victims of this cyclone be exempt from the flood levy

hmmm this could get very interesting for gillard soon

Omikron

Thanks to news.com.au, love the flashing red light.

ughhhh.png

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
What's classified as landfall? The edge of the cyclone or the eye?

Edit: nevermind i think it's the eye since someone mentioned the eye should hit ground around midnight.

markot

Banned
Category 5 is crazy >_< really hope no one gets hurt. Looks like they have had alot of time to prepare and get ready for it, at least no one is being caught with their pants down.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
well there's play asia and well there's lik sang play asia

Kritz

Banned
hamchan said:
So when did our dollar reach 1.01 USD? Did we ever make that list of good US import sites?

Dollar's been higher than the US, on and off, for the past few months.

Speaking of importing, does anyone know where you can buy those coloured iron beads (god if anyone responds with bees I will kill them), preferably with the option to choose what colours you get / or just a large bag of assorted colours.

I want to make a whole bunch of the megamens with them for no apparent reason.

Axiom

I guess that guy who shows up with the Delorean to Armageddon every year is gonna have to fit in another con.

Gaz, sign Shawnee Smith's epic tits for me. If we work on two fronts then one of us has a chance of succeeding.

True though, when I went to Supanova it was all Anime all the time. My girlfriend at the time wore a hand-made skin-tight 60s Catwoman costume and the main interest was in 14 year old cat girls and guys in Naruto outfits.

But granted I stopped paying attention to anime when the original Read or Die came out, because they would never make anything that good again.

Don't die Queensland

Axiom said:
I stopped paying attention to anime when the original Read or Die came out, because they would never make anything that good again.
I haven't watched since the days of Initial D, Love Hina, Chobits, GANTZ (first season?), and stuff around the same time. Prince of Tennis was big then, too.

So... what's big in anime land nowadays? I was thinking a day or two ago of asking the AusGAF hivemind for some suggestions.

Axiom said:
My girlfriend at the time wore a hand-made skin-tight 60s Catwoman costume
She's your wife now, right? Right?

Axiom said:
My girlfriend at the time wore a hand-made skin-tight 60s Catwoman costume

Fantastic.

codswallop said:
So... what's big in anime land nowadays?

Last anime I watched was Great Teacher Onizuka, which was pretty good from memory. But that was many years ago.

Also, my gf is watching the new season of fatties. Since when has there been a hot blonde trainer on that show?

BanShunsaku said:
Last anime I watched was Great Teacher Onizuka, which was pretty good from memory. But that was many years ago.
Ahh yes, I do remember watching some GTO but not being able to get into it. Honestly, I don't know if I'm over anime, had just had too much of it at that time or if it was no good anymore.

So, has there been anything truly revolutionary in the last couple of years anime-wise?

hamchan

codswallop said:
Ahh yes, I do remember watching some GTO but not being able to get into it. Honestly, I don't know if I'm over anime, had just had too much of it at that time or if it was no good anymore.

So, has there been anything truly revolutionary in the last couple of years anime-wise?

Not really, no. Stuff that comes off the top of my head is Gurren Lagann and Baccano though those are still from 2007, quite a while ago.

How about anime movies? I really enjoyed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, 5 Centimetres per Second and the new Evangelion movies.

Gazunta

Best costume I saw at Supanova was this girl dressed up as Cynder from Spyro. Seeing someone dressed up as a character you helped create was a really cool headspin.

Axiom, consider that a mission accepted.

Oh hey turns out that the NiGHTS controller works as a steering wheel in Daytona and Sega Rally. Neat!

Axiom

codswallop said:
I haven't watched since the days of Initial D, Love Hina, Chobits, GANTZ (first season?), and stuff around the same time. Prince of Tennis was big then, too.

So... what's big in anime land nowadays? I was thinking a day or two ago of asking the AusGAF hivemind for some suggestions.

She's your wife now, right? Right?
Nope, still pals though. She's in Adelaide now if any of you see Skrull Electra running about.

I saw something at Supanova once called xxxHolic which was really quite good, but it was also saddled with this godawful 'crossover' episode from a different series that took place in a parallel universe where the two series directly interacted for all of 30 seconds due to a sky portal conference call.

It was really shocking that these two products were even from the same company, xxxHolic seemed quite clever and had a nice bit of mystery and that fun Japanese mysticism. The other show seemed like the Complete Lord of the Rings Trilogy edited down to 80 minutes, made no fucking sense and was godawfully edited.

The latter was just full of cliches and anime tropes that weren't even done well, hell getting so familiar with all those tropes is probably what killed my interest in the typical JRPG.

I sometimes miss reading Amos writing about Dominion Tank Police and Akira in the back of NMS and loving just how different and cool it all sounded.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

So you haven't watched anime since 2004? there's actually been a significantly amount of great series in 2005-2007 such as mushi-shi, gurren lagann, black lagoon baccano! eureka seven mononoke and so on. And to be perfectly honest, most of the shows you listed there are pretty terrible.:p

So my internet cut out. Related to cyclone? Can adsl die if i'm in melbourne? Is internode based in north qld? I've restarted my modem and router multiple times, so it can't be that.

Kirby102

So I got a monitor now, but it was on impulse. Originally, I wanted an Acer G245HDmid, but they were out of stock at some places, since I wanted to take advantage of the cashback scheme.... now after the whole finding alternative monitors, I managed to find one at MSY :D, with only one left. I nabbed it and bought that shit :p (Got it for $194... going to claim $39 cashback = $155) :D

Tis hard getting used to it... from 17" to 24"... it hurt brain.

In other problems, my iPhone 4 is giving me the shits. Today, I made a number of calls. About 9 of those calls have mic issues, which just cuts off as soon as I enter into the call. So basically, I'm calling the number, they pick up, I say "hello", they don't hear it at all...

Should it be a hardware issue? It's giving me the shits, it's been happening for a while now. I got the iPhone 4 1 week after launch. ):

Shaneus

Gazunta said:
Oh hey turns out that the NiGHTS controller works as a steering wheel in Daytona and Sega Rally. Neat!
I remember picking up an as-new 3D controller at a Cashies for about $6 about 5 years ago. It felt like I was playing games with a discman as a controller but there was something I really liked about that thing.

So theres a dude threatening to jump off the top of the building across the street from my work. Cops have been trying to talk him down for more than 2 hours. Meanwhile no cars are allowed down the street and I'm the only person here. Strange times.

BanShunsaku said:
So theres a dude threatening to jump off the top of the building across the street from my work. Cops have been trying to talk him down for more than 2 hours. Meanwhile no cars are allowed down the street and I'm the only person here. Strange times.
That's kind of crazy. Though surely if be truly wanted to jump he would've done it without waiting for cops.

Yeh if he was going to jump you'd think he would have done it by now, but he is still up there now clinging on to the railing talking to the negotiators.

evlcookie said:
You taking any pictures?

Nah, not into that sort of thing. My partner saw that dude from All Saints land on the awning across from her work a few years ago, messed her up pretty badly. Shit is serious business and taking photos seems wrong to me.

giri

Kirby102 said:
So I got a monitor now, but it was on impulse. Originally, I wanted an Acer G245HDmid, but they were out of stock at some places, since I wanted to take advantage of the cashback scheme.... now after the whole finding alternative monitors, I managed to find one at MSY :D, with only one left. I nabbed it and bought that shit :p (Got it for $194... going to claim $39 cashback = $155) :D

Tis hard getting used to it... from 17" to 24"... it hurt brain.

In other problems, my iPhone 4 is giving me the shits. Today, I made a number of calls. About 9 of those calls have mic issues, which just cuts off as soon as I enter into the call. So basically, I'm calling the number, they pick up, I say "hello", they don't hear it at all...

Should it be a hardware issue? It's giving me the shits, it's been happening for a while now. I got the iPhone 4 1 week after launch. ):
Sounds apple related, take it back to the Orchard.

Mar

BanShunsaku said:

You in Sydney? Alexandria? My bus got diverted this morning by a closed off road.

Mar

BanShunsaku said:
Yep, Rosebery... Guy is still there, roads still closed. He's been up there for more than 4 hours now

Wow... Well there you go. I hope the poor bastard is ok. The world is a shitty place.

MrSerrels

BanShunsaku said:

Holy shit. That's crazy.

They need to send Mel Gibson up there, so he can Sgt Riggs that poor bastard down.

Bernbaum

My mum is the suicide bereavement officer for Qld Police on the Sunshine Coast. Her job is to inform and assist families with the news of a person’s suicide. She is frequently the first point of contact for people to learn that someone they know has killed themselves. It isn’t well known, but places like Noosa and Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast have some of the highest suicide rates in the country. I don’t envy anyone that job.

A sizeable hero of mine.

Deeku

Hmm, looks like I might have to make a detour past there a little later. Thanks for the heads up.

Also, Happy Chinese New Year AusGAF!!

Choc

Banned
not to make light of a tragic situation

but have they got those things they use in Asia and the US out, the trampolines?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Neverender said:
Something about people making a spectacle of their suicide (meaning the person threatening to jump) really annoys me.
For people to deny their most fierce instinct ("FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS SCARED IN THIS WORLD I DON'T WANT TO DIE AND I WILL DO ANYTHING TO STOP THAT FROM HAPPENING"), something is clearly imbalanced in their brains. I don't think it's fair to give them the "attention whore" title.

I mean, I'll never understand suicide because death is in itself is the cause of most anything in my life that even resembles clinical depression. When I'm despairing it's usually because I'm contemplating dying else worrying about someone I know dying, so the thought of speeding up that process is literally the furthest thing from my mind at those times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom