• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

Gazunta said:
I'm going to hell, aren't I :(
If you are, I'll be joining you for laughing.

Neverender said:
Something about people making a spectacle of their suicide (meaning the person threatening to jump) really annoys me.
Some people are clearly unstable when they get to this stage, that is unfortunate. There are, however, some people who put themselves in this situation (these people are also unstable, just in a different way) purely for attention; that, I cannot stand.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Neverender said:
Something about people making a spectacle of their suicide (meaning the person threatening to jump) really annoys me.

I do agree. As many times as i have thought about killing myself over the years not once did i want to do it in front of anyone. I don't like the idea of annoying people and disturbing them with my mental battles and then throwing them out there for the world to see.

I do have an intense amount of respect for Berns mum and the job she has.

Dead Man

Bernbaum said:
My mum is the suicide bereavement officer for Qld Police on the Sunshine Coast. Her job is to inform and assist families with the news of a person’s suicide. She is frequently the first point of contact for people to learn that someone they know has killed themselves. It isn’t well known, but places like Noosa and Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast have some of the highest suicide rates in the country. I don’t envy anyone that job.

A sizeable hero of mine.
Wow, that would be such a draining job, I don't think I could do it, even for a day. Tough one, your mum.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
The latest episode of our podcast is out, has me rambling about the 3DS for an hour + Serrels so you know it's awesome.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
jambo said:
So you just said "they added 3D and lowered the battery life" over and over for an hour?

No I've actually played a 3DS unlike half of the people on GAF and give my impressions on it and the games. ;)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
VOOK said:
No I've actually played a 3DS unlike half of the people on GAF and give my impressions on it and the games. ;)

So it's zelda, but things pop out.
So it's mario, but things pop out.
So it's ridge racer and things also pop out there.

Day 1.

Choc

Banned
gaz called it

CYCLONE Yasi victims will be exempt from paying the federal flood levy as Prime Minister Julia Gillard warns deeper Budget cuts will be needed to help pay for the recovery effort.

Omi said:
Great my games order arrived, missing one of the games :x

Thats going to be fun to explain.

That sucks, mine arrived earlier today as well. Wasn't missing anything though thankfully.

Also, that guy is still hanging on, more than 8 hours later. Crazy shit

Omikron

BanShunsaku said:
That sucks, mine arrived earlier today as well. Wasn't missing anything though thankfully.

Nice, I think in my entire history of ordering stuff online, this is the first fuck up I have had thankfully... so overall not bad.

Edit: Actually tell a lie, one of the books I ordered the other week arrived damaged.

Omikron

Fredescu said:
Where from Omi? I've had stuff from the one order arrive staggered from the UK sites fairly often.

GamesParadise, its an Aus store, and unlikely to be shipped separately as I received a tracking number for the 1 package and all items say shipped on the online store. The item missing is just an expansion, so would have fitted easily inside.

Agyar

Omi said:
Nice, I think in my entire history of ordering stuff online, this is the first fuck up I have had thankfully... so overall not bad.

Edit: Actually tell a lie, one of the books I ordered the other week arrived damaged.

Something is going on at GP, they just cancelled my entire order (for four different games) saying it was "out of stock". Upon emailing them they tell me their manager is away until March and they don't know when the next shipment of games will come in. I haven't even been able to get them to tell me if all the games are out of stock or just some but they went straight ahead and cancelled the order and processed a refund. This has pissed me off because I ordered it during the Mega Sale and they haven't given any indication of being able to take a raincheck on the discount or even when I'll be able to reorder the same items.

giri

Choc said:
gaz called it

CYCLONE Yasi victims will be exempt from paying the federal flood levy as Prime Minister Julia Gillard warns deeper Budget cuts will be needed to help pay for the recovery effort.
Should just exempt QLD, the whole state is pretty much f'd now.

Omikron

Agyar said:
Something is going on at GP, they just cancelled my entire order (for four different games) saying it was "out of stock". Upon emailing them they tell me their manager is away until March and they don't know when the next shipment of games will come in. I haven't even been able to get them to tell me if all the games are out of stock or just some but they went straight ahead and cancelled the order and processed a refund. This has pissed me off because I ordered it during the Mega Sale and they haven't given any indication of being able to take a raincheck on the discount or even when I'll be able to reorder the same items.

Hrmm, frustrating. At least they gave a full refund. Unlike me just getting 2/3 of the order lol. Tried calling them, but all 'busy', sent email.

Perhaps try...

www.gamesempire.com.au

I am fairly certain I have used them before as well.

Agyar said:

That sucks, I seem to have been lucky. Will definitely be careful when ordering next time though.

Omi said:
Perhaps try...

www.gamesempire.com.au

Some good prices there, but everything popular seems to be "pre-order". Weird.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I have to do a voice mail message for my phone at work, I hate this shit. I mumble like a bitch and i hate my own voice lol.

Still no deaths recorded from the cyclone, that's good news.

9 hours later, suicide guy came down. Good result, I'm in awe of people like Bern's mum and those who get up there and talk people down. Makes my job (and problems in life) seem so insignificant.

Bernbaum

Placed my first order with Bookdepository.com. Great price – checked it against the Borders, Dymocks and QBD online stores, and it was cheaper by $20 on the next closest offer, plus there’s the free worldwide shipping. Site is tidy too.

What are others’ experience using them and how long can I expect for my single book to arrive?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It isn't really free worldwide shipping, the shipping cost is thrown into the price. They track your location, if you use a UK proxy then the price is even cheaper. I think the .com and .uk sites are identical.

For time, I think 1 - 2 weeks is the norm from memory. I purchased all of my scott pilgrim books from there and they arrived at different times over a week long period. One did take longer than normal for some reason but it isn't too bad. So your standard shipping time from the UK.

Unless the .com actually ships from the US and not the UK then i'm not too sure on time since i can only talk about the .co.uk website.

Agyar

Omi said:
Hrmm, frustrating. At least they gave a full refund. Unlike me just getting 2/3 of the order lol. Tried calling them, but all 'busy', sent email.

Perhaps try...

www.gamesempire.com.au

I tried to call them today as well to clear up my order and wasn't able to get through. I've received two emails from them and am awaiting a third and still haven't clarified which games in my order were out of stock and whether I can reorder some of them and expect to have the order processed.

Currently looking elsewhere to place the exact same order, as waiting for their manager to return in March doesn't sound like a reasonable solution to me. Apparently Milsims is ok and the entire order including registered post will cost the same as GP during the January sale. Race for the Galaxy is noted as backordered but at least they give me the option to order it all and receive RftG when it comes into stock again.

Will check the prices on Games Empire too.

Edit: No Cutthroat Caverns at Games Empire, placed order with Milsims. Sick of waiting on a reply from Games Paradise, will just take the refund and quit trying to find some better resolution.

Bernbaum said:
Placed my first order with Bookdepository.com. Great price – checked it against the Borders, Dymocks and QBD online stores, and it was cheaper by $20 on the next closest offer, plus there’s the free worldwide shipping. Site is tidy too.

What are others’ experience using them and how long can I expect for my single book to arrive?

Before I got my Kindle I bought pretty much all my books from Book Depository.

I think the quickest I got something was about 9 days, slowest about 2 1/2 weeks. They ship everything separately so stuff tends to arrive a bit randomly though.

Omikron

Agyar said:
Edit: No Cutthroat Caverns at Games Empire, placed order with Milsims. Sick of waiting on a reply from Games Paradise, will just take the refund and quit trying to find some better resolution.

Yeah... I just got this in my inbox...

This is currently not available and will be refunded back to your account.
Sorry for the inconvenience

Kind Regards

Gee thanks. Oh well, got free shipping because of the amount I ordered, just, so won't complain too much. Just a pain in the arse really.

Makes you wonder how much they actually have in stock.

Dead Man

Bernbaum said:

Slow shipping, but all the orders I've placed have arrived just fine, about 6 orders in total I think.

evlcookie said:
It isn't really free worldwide shipping, the shipping cost is thrown into the price. They track your location, if you use a UK proxy then the price is even cheaper. I think the .com and .uk sites are identical.

For time, I think 1 - 2 weeks is the norm from memory. I purchased all of my scott pilgrim books from there and they arrived at different times over a week long period. One did take longer than normal for some reason but it isn't too bad. So your standard shipping time from the UK.

Unless the .com actually ships from the US and not the UK then i'm not too sure on time since i can only talk about the .co.uk website.
Really? Huh, I'll have to check that out. Still cheap as even with a higher price than the UK gets.

Agyar

Omi said:
Yeah... I just got this in my inbox...

Gee thanks. Oh well, got free shipping because of the amount I ordered, just, so won't complain too much. Just a pain in the arse really.

Makes you wonder how much they actually have in stock.

The reason I'm so annoyed by what happened to my order is because what happened to you happened to my last order with them. Ordered before their cut-off for Christmas Eve delivery, then received an email on Christmas Eve saying that one of the games was out of stock and they'd processed a refund. I had to reorder it after Christmas but at least they added some extra reward points to my account to compensate.

I'm not someone that stops buying from somewhere because one order goes awry but when it's happened twice in a row and the communication is consistently abrupt and poor, I'm looking elsewhere.

Agyar

BanShunsaku said:
Let us know how you go with Milsims, I was going to order a couple more games next month, if they are decent I'll use them instead of GP.

Will do, they seem to have a reasonable reputation on BGG and the postage is a flat rate, so hoping for the best.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Dead Man said:
Interesting. Don't think I'd bother, but I am a bit ticked that they advertise free shipping. I guess it works out in a simpler interface, you only pay the listed price. Still the best deal going for hardcopies by far.

Yea they are, by a long shot i would think. I have no issues paying shipping if it's claimed to be free or included. I would expect some sort of price for shipping when it's coming from half way across the earth.

Agyar

evlcookie said:
Yea they are, by a long shot i would think. I have no issues paying shipping if it's claimed to be free or included. I would expect some sort of price for shipping when it's coming from half way across the earth.

I can see why people take issue with them promoting the shipping as "free" when they really mean "shipping included in price" but when they're the cheapest either way, I can't really complain.

Edit: Milsims update. They already replied to my email and said that RftG is due back in stock Monday. I like this store.

The Book Depository is cheap enough, even with the included shipping prices they list on their site. Some of the things those Oz Bargain people come up with is really embarrassing.

Dead Man

evlcookie said:

Agyar said:
I can see why people take issue with them promoting the shipping as "free" when they really mean "shipping included in price" but when they're the cheapest either way, I can't really complain.

Edit: Milsims update. They already replied to my email and said that RftG is due back in stock Monday. I like this store.
Yeah, I've got no issue paying for a bit of shipping, I would just like them to be clearer.

giri

It's not mentioned much here i think, but booktopia.com.au is an online aussie book retailer. Their sales are usually pretty insane, though i can't say i've personally bought from them, but they've been around for a long time.

Bernbaum

Thanks for the insightful feedback on Bookdepository.

Not in a rush to receive my order and I’m not a ‘need it while it’s hot’ kind of person - with the exception of a select few games. I’ve also decided I’ll just be sticking to a single imported 3DS and won’t get a local version. Justification for the local version was so I could join in on the excitement of a midnight launch for an all-new system, as I expect my US one to arrive a week or so after the Australian launch. It’s a nice buzz to enjoy, and one I haven’t enjoyed since the Wii, but I don’t think it’s worth > $350.

Shaneus

Only just realised, I've had a PS3 for yonks but still haven't bought 3D Dot Game Heroes. Can it be picked up locally? Is it worth it?

Choc

Banned
BanShunsaku said:
9 hours later, suicide guy came down. Good result, I'm in awe of people like Bern's mum and those who get up there and talk people down. Makes my job (and problems in life) seem so insignificant.

how much work did you get done today?

Choc said:
how much work did you get done today?

:lol I didn't spend any time watching the guy, just went outside and checked how he was going every now and then. Pretty distracting though.

Some people are fucked though, the cops had to come over every now and then and get rid of the gawkers. Some dude even pulled up a chair to get more comfy while he spectated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom