• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rez said:
Ah. Part-time employment time. Hunting for junior level positions that can operate around uni-hours is just the most enjoyable thing in the world.

If, by any extraordinarily thin chance, anyone here knows anyone else in the Melbourne area looking for an articulate, professional university student/junior/intern level part-time employee willing to work for next to nothing (or even basically voluntarily, because experience is currency for university students) in their IT/gaming/QA/other outfit, you know who to PM.

*winky face*

hey, sounds like me :D

I would say "seek.com.au" has been pretty good, in that there are a TON of jobs going on the site, but since none of them have responded to my emails I'm not sure if I can really give advice to check it out...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
my problem with sites like Seek and CareerOne are that they're generally looking for manager-type roles, else roles that require a lot of experience.

legend166

It seems like the only entry level jobs are from companies running grad programs. Unless you want to start as some crappy help desk job.

I found that when looking for jobs in my last year of uni. They'd all say "Entry level junior networking job!*"

*requires two years experience

Entry level jobs by definition shouldn't require experience!

Dead Man

legend166 said:
It seems like the only entry level jobs are from companies running grad programs. Unless you want to start as some crappy help desk job.

I found that when looking for jobs in my last year of uni. They'd all say "Entry level junior networking job!*"

*requires two years experience

Entry level jobs by definition shouldn't require experience!
Don't even get me started on that shit. And junior positions. Fucking hell. I have no problem with kids working, but they should be paid the same for the same work, that way if I am desperate for a crappy job (I am), I can get the stupid midnight shift at Maccas.

/end old man rant.

Rez said:
my problem with sites like Seek and CareerOne are that they're generally looking for manager-type roles, else roles that require a lot of experience.

its like a horrible endless cycle of never being able to get into the work force. Need job to get experience. Can't get job without experience.

The problem is I have some experience (two years at red rooster) and I'm still not getting hired at even the crapiest of places.

Dead Man said:
Don't even get me started on that shit. And junior positions. Fucking hell. I have no problem with kids working, but they should be paid the same for the same work, that way if I am desperate for a crappy job (I am), I can get the stupid midnight shift at Maccas.

/end old man rant.

I handed in a resume to local deli a few weeks back. The cashier took it into the staff room and seconds later i could hear laughter, "18?! ha ha ha. How old is that?!" :( Now I'm stuck between the "too old for fast food" and "too young for a proper job/ bartending/ part time jobs uni students get". I don't think I'm supposed to feel old...

shanshan310 said:
Now I'm stuck between the "too old for fast food" and "too young for a proper job/ bartending/ part time jobs uni students get".

Retail. I managed to get a retail job through Seek as a first job (well, excluding some online work) - though I probably got fairly lucky. Also, many retail sites have their own employment pages. (For reference, I'm a thi...geez, fourth-year Uni student.)

computer fucking freezing after about 0-5 minutes of nothing. fuck my fucking fuashfkadsjfhdsafas life.

edit: the last program i installed was the new msn messenger (horrible). it wont let me uninstall it through safe mode.

also startup repair fucking sucks. its just sitting on "attempting repairs" doing nothing. i better not have to fucking reinstall windows 7 a-fucking-gain. i am about to fucking lose my fucking shit.

edit2: basically i startup, open chrome (chrome has been open each time this has happened) and then all of a sudden i cant click on anything but can still use the mouse, then the mouse freezes. then i need to do a hard reboot. any ideas

edit3: know what, nvm. freezes even without chrome.

Ydahs

My website is going to relaunch soon. I'm soo pumped :eek:

fake edit: holy shit @ the thunder while typing this message. Shook the damn house and sound like CRAACK boooOOOOMMM :O

just earlier today I said there has been an awful lack of thunderstorms this summer, sorry for the jinx Melbournites

Caramello

Ydahs said:
My website is going to relaunch soon. I'm soo pumped :eek:

fake edit: holy shit @ the thunder while typing this message. Shook the damn house and sound like CRAACK boooOOOOMMM :O

just earlier today I said there has been an awful lack of thunderstorms this summer, sorry for the jinx Melbournites

No need to apologize, I love thunderstorms :D

Also what kind of website do you run?

Dead Man

ABC.com.au front page has a picture of some of the Victorian flooding:

r713383_5600457.jpg

Salazar

shanshan310 said:
its like a horrible endless cycle of never being able to get into the work force. Need job to get experience. Can't get job without experience.

In a mild fever of desperation a few years ago, I ended up going into the Queensland Public Service funnel - those dreadful basic aptitude tests.

I failed, curiously enough. I think my radical innumeracy might have been the sticking point. I scurried, chastened, back to uni.

rass

I went to little bourke street for dinner, little bourke street was a raging torrent, I got saturated. SUMMER!!!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Your PC is fucked again mega? haha, It was working without a hitch.

And who the fuck installs legit MSN? Use pidgin or something. Just enter safemode and check the startup manager, disable everything that isn't essential and see if it doesn't freeze. Since you're installing shitty software it has to be a software issue.

So after all this talk of old games yesterday I just checked out some youtube vids of Trog, a game I probably spent hundreds of hours playing as a kid.

The result: Mind blown. I NEVER EVEN KNEW YOU COULD PUNCH.

Choc

Banned
so for the F1 fans this is rather big

Vodafone has requested the Bathurst Council close mount panorama on a day the week before the Australian F1 GP in March.

Why?

They are going to give Jenson Button a crack at the mountain in an F1 car. Should he successfully navigate the track, Craig Lowndes is getting a shot.

Wow, F1 on Bathurst, could be interesting.

markot

Banned
How long does Melbourne have the F1 locked up for? Wasnt there talk of Melbourne dropping it unless they got $$$$$$$?

Itd be funny to see it go back to Adelaide.

Choc

Banned
markot said:
How long does Melbourne have the F1 locked up for? Wasnt there talk of Melbourne dropping it unless they got $$$$$$$?

Itd be funny to see it go back to Adelaide.

2015 they are signed until.

NSW is sniffing around to take it to the homebush track that the V8s use.

They could put it on the Indy Track on the Gold Coast and it would be alright.

shanshan310 said:

The problem is I have some experience (two years at red rooster) and I'm still not getting hired at even the crapiest of places.

I handed in a resume to local deli a few weeks back. The cashier took it into the staff room and seconds later i could hear laughter, "18?! ha ha ha. How old is that?!" :( Now I'm stuck between the "too old for fast food" and "too young for a proper job/ bartending/ part time jobs uni students get". I don't think I'm supposed to feel old...

This is one of the good things about being a nurse. There are jobs everywhere, and if you're willing to work in aged care the amount of jobs is going to explode soon.

evlcookie said:
Your PC is fucked again mega? haha, It was working without a hitch.

And who the fuck installs legit MSN? Use pidgin or something. Just enter safemode and check the startup manager, disable everything that isn't essential and see if it doesn't freeze. Since you're installing shitty software it has to be a software issue.

I did also unlock my 6950 to the 6970 using the bios hack you showed me. Turns out, that that could've possibly done some permanent damage to it due to the two cards using diff memclocks and whatever else. Least thats what the TechPowerUp article's comments were saying.

Gazunta said:
Mega, could also be dodgy memory.

I'd say that too, but I got replacement memory from PCCG when I had issues with my first card, the 460GTX.

Dead Man

Choc said:

Vodafone has requested the Bathurst Council close mount panorama on a day the week before the Australian F1 GP in March.

Why?

They are going to give Jenson Button a crack at the mountain in an F1 car. Should he successfully navigate the track, Craig Lowndes is getting a shot.

That... the most awesome thing I have heard. Source?

AdventureRacing said:
This is one of the good things about being a nurse. There are jobs everywhere, and if you're willing to work in aged care the amount of jobs is going to explode soon.

If I wanted I could get a job as an orderly, as I don't think you need any kind of qualification to do that. The nursing home near where I live is ALWAYS hiring. Only, I'm not keen on washing old people, and my parents (my dad worked as an orderly many years ago) have sort of forbidden me. Im a bit squeemish, so its probably for the best. And so the hunt continues...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Megadrive said:
I did also unlock my 6950 to the 6970 using the bios hack you showed me. Turns out, that that could've possibly done some permanent damage to it due to the two cards using diff memclocks and whatever else. Least thats what the TechPowerUp article's comments were saying.

Which is why it has a dual bios feature so you can switch back to stock standards and there's always a risk of something going wrong. Switch it back to standard and see if it improves.

evlcookie said:
Which is why it has a dual bios feature so you can switch back to stock standards and there's always a risk of something going wrong. Switch it back to standard and see if it improves.

I know. I did, it didn't help. I have turned off all startup items and non-microsoft services and it hasn't frozen today. I've been running Dolphin, MPC-HC and Chrome (like last night) and it's fine so far.

Caramello

Choc said:

Why?

This is freaking awesome!

Kirby102

Dead Man said:
ABC.com.au front page has a picture of some of the Victorian flooding:

r713383_5600457.jpg

As a Sydney-sider coming from the 40 degree heatwave, I decided to venture to the Victoria and get slapped by some 16 degree rain. I only declared this adventure the morning of my departure (since I drove down), and now I see that Melbourne is flooding.

So, MelbGAF, what do in your glorious (and wet) city? I'm only here till Monday night though, gotta fly back for a special event. ;)

Danoss

Couldn't pass up Darksiders on the THQ Store for $10, especially since it's Steamworks. If only it was on an Australian Steam server so I didn't have to make such a big dent in my cap.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Danoss said:
Couldn't pass up Darksiders on the THQ Store for $10, especially since it's Steamworks. If only it was on an Australian Steam server so I didn't have to make such a big dent in my cap.

It's on 3FLs

Danoss

evlcookie said:
It's on 3FLs
Don't they restrict to Westnet/iiNet or something? I'm with 'Node so pretty much any Aussie server that will let me in won't count towards my cap.

I just turn on Frey's Steam Filter and see what happens. If no downloads come, I assume it's not on an Aussie server. Perhaps the server list hasn't been updated.

Edit: It seems 3FL's NSW Steam server IP has changed (WA's remains the same). I added that IP to the server filter in Frey's and it has made no impact. As soon as I remove the filter, it locks on to another server, which is overseas I assume.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Yea they do restrict now i think, so you're probably screwed if you are on node. I'm surprised node don't have it yet they were always the first with steam files.

Danoss

evlcookie said:
Yea they do restrict now i think, so you're probably screwed if you are on node. I'm surprised node don't have it yet they were always the first with steam files.
Seems that way. I might look into that since I think Steam servers aren't allowed to restrict who can access them.

EDIT: There's hope yet.

icm9i4.png

markot

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
The rating could be a NZ one. The Witcher was sent to Australian stores, and while the box said MA15+, the actual disc had an R18+ logo on it. =/
Probably the EU/US version. I dont think they reprint discs for Australia very often, I think Nintendo does... thats about it.

Nemesis_

markot said:
Probably the EU/US version. I dont think they reprint discs for Australia very often, I think Nintendo does... thats about it.

Why would they have the OFLC rating on them? >_>

These discs were seen almost two years ago, mind you.

Cohsae

ClivePwned said:
Going to see the king's speech tonight- don't give away the ending

he gives a fucking speech? WTF?
Geoffrey Rush steals Colin Firth's powers to give the greatest performance of King Lear in history.
For a fleeting second I thought something like this might actually happen.

Salazar

Picked up Bayonetta and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

Haven't tried Bayonetta yet. I expect to like it.

The lever-pulling and jumping bullshit with Desmond is dismally tedious. It must have been fucking boring to program those sequences; they must have had some notion that they're no fun to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom