• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Choc said:
dont care

im over it

whenever i leave the ausgaf thread i have to deal with small minded american fucking shitheads

so i will no longer do this

this thread raises the IQ level of this entire board 100 fold

I know what you mean choc.

I get angry too

giri

Bernbaum said:
When people describe DA as the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, are they talking about the presentation and mission structure or the intrinsic combat system?

It feels less 'dice rolly' than Kotor.
Mission structure isn't all that different really, i mean the origins part is obviously different, but it was still very similar. Set out on epic quest, do side quests and options parts at your will.

I think it's still very dice roll heavy, you just don't notice it very much.

But i didn't read up about it as much as i did BG. But i'm fairly certain the class structures and talent/skill points are all D&D based.

Fredescu

giri said:
But i didn't read up about it as much as i did BG. But i'm fairly certain the class structures and talent/skill points are all D&D based.
Not really, DA is heavily simplified. It's a lot closer to WoW than D&D in terms of complexity.

eznark

Banned
Choc said:
oh america never change

quotes from that thread

"Oh shit, Choc burned us all. When your leading contribution to the world is Crocodile Dundee and Yahoo Serious you always have the moral high ground.

You live in a third world country, Croc, so I'm glad you found your way to one of the huts with wifi. Congrats, I think I saw you on one of those cleft lip commercials."

Don't you have some weird creatures to take pics of and post on the net or eat some kangaroo! :p

sigh i tell them the world doesn't revolve around america and they are like yes it does blah blah

i blame fucking American geography and history for not teaching anything but american history and geography in their schools (yes its true)

fucking wankers

AMAhN.jpg

WORLD champs

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why it bothers you. It doesn't effect and shouldn't affect your life in any measurable way.

Do you get angry when we celebrate Australia Day and hundreds of bogans and nonbogans alike call Australia the best country in the world? No? It's harmless. It's national pride. It's inherently stupid. Just roll with it.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Rez said:
I don't understand why it bothers you. It doesn't effect and shouldn't affect your life in any measurable way.

Do you get angry when we celebrate Australia Day and hundreds of bogans and nonbogans alike call Australia the best country in the world? No? It's harmless. It's national pride. It's inherently stupid. Just roll with it.

Considering when usually float around the top few countries in the World for every survey :p

Fredescu

Rez said:
Do you get angry when we celebrate Australia Day and hundreds of bogans and nonbogans alike call Australia the best country in the world? No?
I kinda do.

Asking Choc why he's overreacting is like asking a fish why it swims. You just have to go with it sometimes.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Fredescu said:
I kinda do.

Asking Choc why he's overreacting is like asking a fish why it swims. You just have to go with it sometimes.
I do too, but in a very subtle, waspish, cool way. But shhh.

Bernbaum

Fredescu said:
Not really, DA is heavily simplified. It's a lot closer to WoW than D&D in terms of complexity.
I like how party selection considerations aren’t just limited to combat strengths/weaknesses, and that individual member’s skills influence what can be achieved outside of combat – namely stuff like unlocking chests. I’m at the point where I have particular characters who I just plain all round prefer, either for combat effectiveness or their personality. I get a kick out of Bioware games that let me be an atheist douchebag and be all like ‘Lolz God’s not real!’, but I doubt Leliana is gonna show me her baby-maker at the end of the game if I keep that up.

Fredescu

Rez said:
I do too, but in a very subtle, waspish, cool way. But shhh.
Oh yeah, same, I don't get all Choc about it and go trolling bogan threads on Whirlpool. Like Choc actually does.

Bernbaum said:
but I doubt Leliana is gonna show me her baby-maker at the end of the game if I keep that up.
Don't read this, it's a spoiler goddamnit. This is as much hint as you're going to get!

Fredescu

Bern, I know you like to "game" the game rather than let it happen, but can I suggest mostly sticking with the party members that you personally like? You find out more interesting stuff that way. Chopping and changing cuts off some character depth.

giri

Fredescu said:
Bern, I know you like to "game" the game rather than let it happen, but can I suggest mostly sticking with the party members that you personally like? You find out more interesting stuff that way. Chopping and changing cuts off some character depth.
I'd agree with that.

use those you find you want to, not those you think you should. Games so much more fun.

Oh, except for the stupid lack of healers out side of that goody 2 shoes bitch.

Bernbaum

Fredescu said:
Yes. That is something I really only learned last night.

I thought that character responses to my actions was something that I would just have to tolerate for the extent of the game, but I now have a preferred party that does what I want them to on the battlefield as well as conforms to my character's idealisms. Haven't got the full cast yet, but it's Alistair, Leliana and Mass Effect.

Choc

Banned
oh man there should be a lot of people banned in that thread about the superbowl for racism against australians

but the fuckwits wont be

Fredescu

giri said:
Oh, except for the stupid lack of healers out side of that goody 2 shoes bitch.
Yeah, that's a pretty big fault with the game. I usually play the healer, so I didn't notice it the first time around and went with me, Leliana, Shale, and Alistair. The second time around I modded Morrigan to be a healer, but then I realised I don't like either Wynne or Morrigan much, leaving the game with exactly zero good non mage companions.

I guess by now there's full class switch mods rather than just unlearning the abilities, but I kinda burnt myself on DA1.

jambo

EA - It's in the rage.

Choc said:
oh man there should be a lot of people banned in that thread about the superbowl for racism against australians

but the fuckwits wont be
Actually wouldn't you be the one getting warned or banned for going in to a topic and making a completely unneeded and OT post that could de-rail the thread?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Choc said:

but the fuckwits wont be

Sad thing was that you had an argument at least with basketball and baseball. American (gridiron) football though? That's not really that egregious.

The timing was pretty bad too. If you wanted to have a meaningful discussion about Americans calling our national league winners "World Champions" there could have been many, many better ways of going about it.

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
EA - It's in the rage.

Actually wouldn't you be the one getting warned or banned for going in to a topic and making a completely unneeded and OT post that could de-rail the thread?

oh i knew i was taking a risk :p

i'll take a stint in the penalty box if those useless racist fucks do as well

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
Racist? White against white, the endless struggle.

have you seen the thread? they are pulling every australian stereotype out under the sun

maybe racism isnt the right word.

Narag

Choc said:
have you seen the thread? they are pulling every australian stereotype out under the sun

maybe racism isnt the right word.

Just Americans being arrogant. Imagine that! You could've approached the situation from a much better vantage but opted for a particularly insecure route. Sure, it might be something worth discussing but you've let the issue rile you far more than it ever should. In all fairness though, I shouldn't have linked back to this thread either.

giri

Fredescu said:
Eh, that had several different nations in the world playing for a championship title.

I guess the cricket comparison would be the sheffield shield being the world championship.

legend166

I have to admit, the whole 'derp derp convicts' stuff really is played out at this point.

And you really misfired with that WSC comparison, fred.

I went to a Sheffield shield game once, and was literally the only person in the stand.

Felt like a fucking boss and then I remembered I was watching the Sheffield shield

markot

Banned
Cmon, Cricket is more global than any US sport outside of BBall.

Its like calling the AFL champs the WORLD CHAMPIONS OF TEH UNIVERSEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

jambo

Choc said:
except i wasnt trolling
So what were you doing?

You went in to a thread that was for discussion of the game and started ranting about how the naming of the championship was incorrect and that they were all arrogant bullshitters.

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
So what were you doing?

You went in to a thread that was for discussion of the game and started ranting about how the naming of the championship was incorrect and that they were all arrogant bullshitters.

i said they were arrogant after they started going on like fucks

i didnt say it straight away

Attempting to correct Americans on their mislabelling of their local sports championships is a bit like calling Amir0x out on his bullshit. Sure, they're wrong and their tendency to try to make up for the gaping logical holes in their arguments by shouting louder and insisting that their opinions are facts is infuriating, but you've got to let some things slide. Especially since you'll be swamped on all sides all at once. The end result is that nobody learns anything out of sheer bloody-mindedness and you've wasted a ton of time.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think the fallacy here is that Americans are "Americans", implying some sort of cultural barrier that, in today's day and age, doesn't really exist. If Australia had the capacity to host an event with anywhere near the cultural relevancy of the Superbowl you'd better believe we'd act the same way.

America is just Australia scaled up a couple of degrees. Or rather, Australia is just America on a smaller scale. If we had the biggest dick we'd flaunt it.

Rez said:
I think the fallacy here is that Americans are "Americans", implying some sort of cultural barrier that, in today's day and age, doesn't really exist. If Australia had the capacity to host an event with anywhere near the commercial relevancy you'd better believe we'd act the same way.
Fixed.

Super Bowl in itself isn't relevant at all outside of the US. It is, however, the nexus for a lot of money being thrown around.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Choc said:
do we call the NRL and AFL world champions
nooooooope
Well, League does have the World Club Challenge. Where the NRL premiers play the Super League winners. Whoever wins that is called "World Champions".

Although Australian teams seemingly don't take it all that seriously. It does involve 4 countries at least, hardly the world though :p.

Choc

Banned
user_nat said:
Well, League does have the World Club Challenge. Where the NRL premiers play the Super League winners. Whoever wins that is called "World Champions".

Although Australian teams seemingly don't take it all that seriously. It does involve 4 countries at least, hardly the world though :p.

i knew someone was going to find this, and that is true

but at least its more than one nation, still fucked though.

it's just the way the americans especially with baseball do it.

The world fucking series for fuck sake. With NFL its somewhat understandable, there is no other good league in teh world

with baseball there is more than america

Fredescu

American sports are pretty fascinating really. If I had the time I would get right into them I think. On the one hand NFL amazes me with how short the regular season is, each team plays just 16 games. Then you have the complete opposite with the MLB, where each team plays 162 games before the finals start! Also, people can be full on supporters of even college level stuff, and those guys play in front of packed houses. It's an amazing culture that most Australians don't even look into beyond mindless parochialisms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom