• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
i am incredibly jealous that my teenage/early 20s did not include US style college

to be able to live on campus the way they do and have that culture, but also have that fucking amazing NCAA level stuff and big tournaments to watch in sport and cheer for your college would be sooooooooooo good

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
To be fair, most Americans are aware of the irony when it comes to the "World Series". George Carlin made popular jokes about how the "US wins the World Series again!" years ago.

I think the name is more tradition dating back to a time when the US was the only country that really played it in an organized manner. I don't think baseball got really popular until the 30s in other countries.

giri

Choc said:
i am incredibly jealous that my teenage/early 20s did not include US style college

to be able to live on campus the way they do and have that culture, but also have that fucking amazing NCAA level stuff and big tournaments to watch in sport and cheer for your college would be sooooooooooo good
the down side is, their degree aren't as good.

Fredescu said:
American sports are pretty fascinating really. If I had the time I would get right into them I think. On the one hand NFL amazes me with how short the regular season is, each team plays just 16 games. Then you have the complete opposite with the MLB, where each team plays 162 games before the finals start! Also, people can be full on supporters of even college level stuff, and those guys play in front of packed houses. It's an amazing culture that most Australians don't even look into beyond mindless parochialisms.

Baseball is a weird sport, the amount of effort exerted outside of the pitchers is so minimally draining, that they do play twice on the same day, regularly. Performance in the second game is usually worse, but mainly due to mental fatigue. But i dont pay it much mind, don't like the sport that much.

NBA is sort of in the middle, 82 home and away games each year, plus 4 rounds of 7game series play off ball.

It goes even weirder, In texas in particular their high schools can have 40 - 50 thousand seat stadiums.

Deeku

Choc said:

Yeah.

I kinda miss primary/high school where there was a pretty decent sport scene. It was all about losing to Joeys in Rugby and Head of the River.

Agyar

Bulletstorm is amazing. The demo is a level of the score-attack mode and I've played it a bunch of times now, increasing my score each time and trying to discover new skill combos and cool stuff. Definitely looking forward to picking it up on release.

The demo also unlocks some content in the full game and has a leaderboard for the included level.

If anyone has experience getting PHP 5.3.5 in FastCGI mode successfully working on Server 2008 R2 64-bit, IIS 7.5 with Oracle 11.2g (Instant Client), tell me what you did to make it work (everything but Oracle POS is working fine).

*crying self to sleep tonight*

Or if you can tell me how to fix these damned "Access Violation" errors that crop up randomly when used on PHP/Oracle pages (on PHP 5.2), I'd like to hear it.

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
If anyone has experience getting PHP 5.3.5 in FastCGI mode successfully working on Server 2008 R2 64-bit, IIS 7.5 with Oracle 11.2g (Instant Client), tell me what you did to make it work (everything but Oracle POS is working fine).

Or if you can tell me how to fix these damned "Access Violation" errors that crop up randomly when used on PHP/Oracle pages (on PHP 5.2), I'd like to hear it.

Try turning 32 bit applications allowed on in the application pool you are using to run oracle

Dead Man

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Attempting to correct Americans on their mislabelling of their local sports championships is a bit like calling Amir0x out on his bullshit. Sure, they're wrong and their tendency to try to make up for the gaping logical holes in their arguments by shouting louder and insisting that their opinions are facts is infuriating, but you've got to let some things slide. Especially since you'll be swamped on all sides all at once. The end result is that nobody learns anything out of sheer bloody-mindedness and you've wasted a ton of time.
This is harsh reality.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, it's false, bitter equivalency with misused labels

Danoss

evlcookie said:
I also ordered this - http://www.mensbiz.com.au/shop/shav...of-old-bond-street-sampler-pack/prod_531.html
See how they go and if it works well with my skin.
Nice choice man, I'm using the Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Soap. Very nice, I think I need to get a mug to lather in now (thinking of using my Aperture Labs mug from the Valve Store). With the soap in the wooden bowl, the brush pushes some of the lather over the sides of the bowl as it builds it (most ends up in the brush, it's just extra cleaning up afterwards). Besides that, it lathers quite well and after 2 weeks shaving, it looks like no soap has actually been used.

Trumpers shave creams are meant to be very nice and I have heard promising reviews of the Tabac shaving soap, which seems like it lasts forever.

For the aftershave routine, I've found that Witch Hazel is great as a toner/astringent follwed by Truefitt & Hill Aftershave Balm, which is just boss (seems this bottle is going to last a very long time).

Salazar

Hmmmm.

I expected to love Bayonetta and merely like AC: Brotherhood.

I adore AC: Brotherhood, and after about fifteen minutes of Bayonetta, I'm really, really not keen. Weird. I know it's a failure on my part.

Bernbaum

Watching video game related news on commercial TV is like being forced to witness your own genitals as they're forced into a blender and pureed.

First, there's the initial thrill and giddy anticipation of a stranger aggressively removing your undergarments. Then, before you're fully aware of the situation, you can do nothing but watch as you're forced into a squat position above a Black and Decker Crushmaster™ and your still-attached wedding tackle is slowly lowered into the blending apparatus. There's the quick cool twinge of bare steel against your nether regions and before the shock has fully set in, your unhinged cognitive functions hold onto the last thread of false hope that this might be something you could enjoy.

Then, you watch in horror as something you've always enjoyed playing with and sharing with others is indiscriminately torn apart in a repulsive display of sadism.

Nemesis_

Zaro said:
Anyone else here getting MvC3 for PS3? Just pre-ordered from the UK (steelbook lol).

The MT Framework engine performs better on 360. I would like to stick with it on 360.

Plus friends on 360, of course.

CryptiK

Nemesis556 said:
The MT Framework engine performs better on 360. I would like to stick with it on 360.

Plus friends on 360, of course.
performance wise it only betters the PS3 in graphics the frame rate like SSFIV will be stable on both.

rass

what are some decent mst3k episodes to watch?

I've seen:
Squirm
Space Mutiny
Mitchell
Time Chasers

and a couple more but names escape me. I love the show but there are dozens of eps up on youtube and I don't want to commit an hour and a half to something that's no good

Rahk

rass said:
what are some decent mst3k episodes to watch?

I've seen:
Squirm
Space Mutiny
Mitchell
Time Chasers

and a couple more but names escape me. I love the show but there are dozens of eps up on youtube and I don't want to commit an hour and a half to something that's no good
Manos.

You could also try some RiffTrax, which is pretty much MST3K for newer movies. That's how I managed to watch all of Transformers 1 and 2.

Choc said:
Try turning 32 bit applications allowed on in the application pool you are using to run oracle
Thanks for the suggestion. 32-bit applications are already enabled. Depending on whether I use the 10g or 11g driver the DSNs appear in either the 32-bit or 64-bit ODBC Control Panel applet, so who knows which it's really using. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Uhh... Video games!

rass

Rahk said:
Manos.

You could also try some RiffTrax, which is pretty much MST3K for newer movies. That's how I managed to watch all of Transformers 1 and 2.
Manos ey, will look into it. Thanks!

I will get into rifftrax soon, but I can't justify buying the RT then renting movies at the moment, saving for a holiday in 4 weeks' time haha. I have looked through the RT website though, going to get "the room" at some point.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Bernbaum said:
Watching video game related news on commercial TV is like being forced to witness your own genitals as they're forced into a blender and pureed.

First, there's the initial thrill and giddy anticipation of a stranger aggressively removing your undergarments. Then, before you're fully aware of the situation, you can do nothing but watch as you're forced into a squat position above a Black and Decker Crushmaster™ and your still-attached wedding tackle is slowly lowered into the blending apparatus. There's the quick cool twinge of bare steel against your nether regions and before the shock has fully set in, your unhinged cognitive functions hold onto the last thread of false hope that this might be something you could enjoy.

Then, you watch in horror as something you've always enjoyed playing with and sharing with others is indiscriminately torn apart in a repulsive display of sadism.

Least Maude was in it.

Mako_Drug

Bernbaum said:

The worst things were:
- 'Its for kids!'
- Shots of multiple people staring at the screen from different angles pretending to see the 3D "Wow!"
- "Nintendo won't let us show their top secret screen tech!!!" is actually the PR not wanting the 'double vision' to be shown on camera.
- $400 boo

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Mako_Drug said:
The worst things were:
- Shots of multiple people staring at the screen from different angles pretending to see the 3D "Wow!"
- "Nintendo won't let us show their top secret screen tech!!!" is actually the PR not wanting the 'double vision' to be shown on camera.
-

No shit sherlock, what do you want them to do? Nintendo won't show it because it'll come across bullshit on screen, thus further confusing people.

3D Tech has been latched onto Glasses since it's inception, breaking that will be hard. You can't show the screen because people won't understand it. People are dumb, they think it's a 3D DS.

Mako_Drug

VOOK said:
No shit sherlock, what do you want them to do? Nintendo won't show it because it'll come across bullshit on screen, thus further confusing people.

3D Tech has been latched onto Glasses since it's inception, breaking that will be hard. You can't show the screen because people won't understand it. People are dumb, they think it's a 3D DS.

I don't want them to do or say intentionally deceptive things. Obviously its not important or anything but the program isn't meant to be an advertisement.

Edit: btw I wasn't complaining they didn't show the 'double vision' thing it was just that they tried to spin the reasoning in another ridiculous way.

Darklord

Banned
jbTrP4.jpg

jbTtXC.jpg

The first one is idiocy but the second...how does that even happen?

Darklord

Banned
Wow, I won a 600ml Milk from Trivial Pursuit in the Herald Sun. Better not drink it all at once I need to savor this grand and amazing prize.

Choc

Banned
so shane watson won AB medal again, good.

Mitchell Johnson polling 3rd shows just how fucking stupid

a) cricket administrators are

and how bad we are at cricket :|

MrSerrels

Choc said:
message to mr serrels

ensure you do not take kotaku US redesign its a PIECE OF SHIT

We're not using it - we have our own redesign in the works, but it's absolutely nothing like the US one. We just want to tighten up comments, keep the blog format and make it a bit cleaner.

Darklord said:
jbTtXC.jpg

The first one is idiocy but the second...how does that even happen?
There is actually a fairly strong secessionist movement in North Queensland and it's been there for decades. The idea behind it is that the state government pays too much attention to Southeast Queensland and not enough to the rest of the state, especially the north. I think recently, the mayors of North Queensland towns/cities had a meeting to discuss it.

If they ever succeeded, the new state would be Capricornia (because that's what the region north of Wide Bay is already called).

Anyway, the guys who made that map are either:

a) Disgruntled North Queenslanders

b) Low-paid uninformed interns who did a quick web search on Queensland's geography, found a map of the state broken down by regions and got confused because the actual label that said "QUEENSLAND" straddled the Central/Wide Bay and Southern regions.

Choc

Banned
There is actually a fairly strong secessionist movement in North Queensland and it's been there for decades. The idea behind it is that the state government pays too much attention to Southeast Queensland and not enough to the rest of the state, especially the north. I think recently, the mayors of North Queensland towns/cities had a meeting to discuss it.

If they ever succeeded, the new state would be Capricornia (because that's what the region north of Wide Bay is already called).

b) Low-paid uninformed interns who did a quick web search on Queensland's geography, found a map of the state broken down by regions and got confused because the actual label that said "QUEENSLAND" straddled the Central/Wide Bay and Southern regions.

yeah when i was in the far north they were going on they want to be their own state and Brisbane doesn't look after them etc on the tele

whats the excuse for Tasmania being Queensland VKS :D? none, thats right :D

Choc said:
yeah when i was in the far north they were going on they want to be their own state and Brisbane doesn't look after them etc on the tele

whats the excuse for Tasmania being Queensland VKS :D? none, thats right :D
No excuse at all.

I'd actually be curious to see what would happen if North Queensland decided to secede. I don't know if there's an actual process for it (say if Nth QLD National Party MPs and Bob Katter put forward a piece of legislation) that would actually work.

If it failed, they could pull a Confederate America and just take over Townsville RAAF base to start what would later become known as the Bogan War.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
A North Queensland state with Bob Katter as its Premier would be amazing.

I want it to happen. It would entertain me for years.

in other news Palin is starting to make a push for presidency in 2012

maybe the world really will end then

giri

codswallop said:

i got PHP working on win 7 premium with my sql.

It wasn't easy.

In fact, it was down right painful.

giri

Except when it was recently brought up when mad kater said it was one of the conditions for getting his vote to form a minority government, everyone up in the far north said they didn't really want it. It's one of those things they bitch about, but never really want to see happen. Unlike the abolishment of state governments, that we'd all like to see.

giri said:
i got PHP working on win 7 premium with my sql.

It wasn't easy.

In fact, it was down right painful.
PHP with IIS isn't too difficult, though IIS seems needlessly complex when used in simple environments. It's just Oracle that I always, always have trouble with (whether with web apps, or desktop apps, or dealing with its antiquated permissions system and inflexibility as an SQL language), and wish I could smash it into a million pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom