• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
shanshan310 said:
I thought you weren't supposed to reheat rice?

I always reheat left over rice the next day for lunch or dinner.

Also, Thai friend rice > everything else. Oh god i love it so much, maybe it's just the thai deli in south melbourne since it's the only thai fried rice i've had. Good chance it isn't even thai fried rice, is there such a thing? Either way, so much better than the local chinese shop at home.

Kritz

Banned
Next time I'll just cook rice normally, add in some bits of chicken and call it a meal.
Then actually wait a day to cook up any remaining normal-ass rice into less burnt fried rice.

jambo said:
$274 shipped is way cheaper than either $358 or $398.

I need to get 2 cause of dumb region lock out anyway, would always be getting an American system at some point I just didn't want to at launch cause I'm sure they'll be in short supply.

If the NZ launch is like 3 months later or something though, f**k waiting/paying crazy NZ price (which will probably be even crazier than Aus one is already). ;(

jambo

Conrad Link said:
I need to get 2 cause of dumb region lock out anyway, would always be getting an American system at some point I just didn't want to at launch cause I'm sure they'll be in short supply.

If the NZ launch is like 3 months later or something though, f**k waiting/paying crazy NZ price (which will probably be even crazier than Aus one is already). ;(
Amazon pre-orders are normally ok.

Plus you'll only have to import 3DS games, not DS games =D

You can reheat rice but you shouldn't leave it standing at room temperature for too long. If you do, you can potentially allow bacteria to grow on it (i think it's bacillus cereus). Of course the way you prepare the rice can effect this but i try not to leave it sitting out too long just to be sure (we're talking quite a few hours here).

jambo said:
Amazon pre-orders are normally ok.

Plus you'll only have to import 3DS games, not DS games =D

:O I had no idea Amazon would even send them overseas..... wow, sucks I didn't order sooner, dunno if that makes a difference or not.

I got a new 360 in the mail today. Thanks MS!
It got the RROD the other week so I sent it away. (with only a couple of weeks left on my RROD warranty phew)

Before it got the RROD the GPU was failing too because the clamps had broken due to overheating. (At least that's what the internet tells me causes you to have no video when you turn on your Xbox)

I'm guessing that had a bit to do with me getting a new 360 and hopefully I won't have any problems with this one.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Listening to the JJJ hottest 100 now! :D

Havent been able to yet

#101 here we go! zomg it's MIA XXXO

edit: I have had ZERO spoilers, so don't be a jerk, spoiler tag if you wanna post any thoughts :( I don't even know the number one :D

shanshan310 said:
I thought you weren't supposed to reheat rice?
Maybe it was talking about uncooked rice? It can be dangerous to do that I think... Some people use it to blind bake tart shells etc.

I've never had problems with reheated rice, and every fried rice recipe calls for it as Fred said earlier. Any food cooked should not sit out at room temperature for more than two hours as that's when things start to get nasty.

If you defrost something frozen, you should never re-freeze it unless it's been cooked inbetween (e.g. defrost, cook, freeze is OK).

Edit: http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/keepingfoodsafe/asksamcooking/#A220063

HolyCheck said:
I have had ZERO spoilers, so don't be a jerk
I hear John Denver did quite well this year.

_Alkaline_ said:
3DS will be $349 and is coming out March 31st.

cyQgC.gif

giri

codswallop said:
Maybe it was talking about uncooked rice? It can be dangerous to do that I think... Some people use it to blind bake tart shells etc.

I've never had problems with reheated rice, and every fried rice recipe calls for it as Fred said earlier. Any food cooked should not sit out at room temperature for more than two hours as that's when things start to get nasty.

If you defrost something frozen, you should never re-freeze it unless it's been cooked inbetween (e.g. defrost, cook, freeze is OK).

Edit: http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/keepingfoodsafe/asksamcooking/#A220063

I hear John Denver did quite well this year.

Kritz said:
1 - I burnt the rice
2 - I didn't realise that rice got bigger when you cooked it, and ended up with way too much.
3 - I didn't mix the eggs properly - I just threw it into the pile and mixed it up. Didn't read instructions proberly which said to put eggs in and to wait for them to cook, then mix them with the rice
4 - I don't think that bottle was soy sauce. I don't know what soy sauce is. It said 'sauce' on it so I figured what the hey.

I also don't think I used enough bacon.

Edit: I'm dying, gaz hahaha >_<
Bacon in fried rice?

Fried rice is fairly simple

This comes from one of Ching-he Huangs books, Chinese Food in Minutes, super easy stuff, great book, and she's hot.

Ingredients -
2tbsp groundnut oil (peanut oil)
3 eggs beaten (crack them into a bowl before you start and whisk with a fork till combined, not much more)
50g peas
50g cooked shrimp (could replace with bacon, i guess, seems odd, optional either way)
400g cooked rice (freshly cooked or the day before, doesn't matter)
2tbsp light soy (normal soy sauce)
1tbsp sesame oil

Heat frying pan over a high heat, add oil, pour in the beaten eggs and then leave to settle for a minute, then start to swirl around to lightly scramble the egg, transfer out of frying pan.

add frozen peas and shrimp (if using shrimp) to pan and fry for 30 seconds - 1 minute add rice and mix well untill the rice has broken down (i.e. it's not sticking to itself a lot).

return egg, and add soy sause and sesame oil mix.

It's done.

giri

markot said:
Whats weird about bacon >.>? Most Fried rice has at least some ham in it.
Not any i recall specifically, most are just shrimp egg & peas. it could work though i guess.

Bacon does go with just about everything.

Kritz

Banned
I've never not had fried rice without some kind of ham or bacon in it.

I say my problem was not enough bacon, because I was trying to use the bacon's fat to help me cook the rice.

Fredescu

giri said:
Not any i recall specifically, most are just shrimp egg & peas. it could work though i guess.
In Indonesia, fried rice is literally leftovers+rice for breakfast. There's no real rules about what it should include.

markot

Banned
Shit happens.

Dont want to defend Tony... but shit does happen and soldiers do die >.>... I dunno, doesnt seem like a huge deal to me.

That said, not the best phrase to use when an Aussie soldier dies >_<

trinest

markot said:
Shit happens.

Dont want to defend Tony... but shit does happen and soldiers do die >.>... I dunno, doesnt seem like a huge deal to me.

Wait he accuarly said shit happens- thats not just you saying it for the heck of it.

I don't know about you guys- yes its wrong he said it- but some how the fact he said it kind of gives him a little respect in my eyes. Hes a bad ass just going around doing a shit job- and shit happens to him.

But I will still not vote for him.

Oh and I agree with what you said.

Omikron

markot said:
Shit happens.

Its not just the fact he said that in the field, yeah it was stupid and insensitive, but on the other hand, if he was a half decent politician, he should have been able to disarm said channel 7 journalist with an explanation.

The fact he couldn't think on his feet and the pained starring just makes him look like a junior completely out of his depth and not someone you would want running a country.

Choabac

trinest said:
Wait he accuarly said shit happens- thats not just you saying it for the heck of it.

I don't know about you guys- yes its wrong he said it- but some how the fact he said it kind of gives him a little respect in my eyes. Hes a bad ass just going around doing a shit job- and shit happens to him.

But I will still not vote for him.

Oh and I agree with what you said.
You should have seen his reaction when a reporter confronted him with the footage and asked him to explain. It was the most excruciating pause that I've ever seen.

Tntnnbltn

I'm outsourcing to AusGAF on this one...

Just out of curiosity does anyone remember a few years back a drink driving commercial was doing the rounds.It was really graphic but probably one of the best ones at the time targeting teens. A few young kids were in two cars hooning down a main street and the run a red and hit a lady and her baby. You still hear the baby crying after the accident. Does anyone remember it and know where I can find a copy??

Edit: Found it

Jintor

Mako_Drug said:
I don't want them to do or say intentionally deceptive things. Obviously its not important or anything but the program isn't meant to be an advertisement.

Edit: btw I wasn't complaining they didn't show the 'double vision' thing it was just that they tried to spin the reasoning in another ridiculous way.

It's fucking ACA. It's never, ever going to be any good.

MrSerrels

I don't really get people complaining about the price of the 3DS. I mean, I get it, but it's way lower than I expected. And actually cheaper than the UK price.

It'll be the games - that'll be the real problem!

Mako_Drug said:
B-But they expose fraudsters and kids who smoke and make Australia a better place for all white christian peoples.
Won't someone think of the True Blue Aussie battler? A shonky property dealer is taking all their money and won't respond to calls!

Question for AusBoardGameGAF:

I placed an order on Milsims first thing yesterday, two in-stock items, but I haven't been charged and my order is still on pending. Is this normal?

Choc

Banned
serrels people are comparing it to US price

which is crazy because a few reasons

1. The US price does not include the sales tax the AU Price does

without GST the AU price is $318 so its only $69 than the US price without tax which is the comparable rate

in that regard its not so bad

the UK price on the other hand, fuck.

WITH THAT SAID

street pass being turned off is fucking bullshit. Does this mean no multiplayer? i believe it does

therefore you pay more for half the console, good job team

serrels did the 3ds give you a headache/headspin in 3D?

Gazunta

MrSerrels said:
It'll be the games - that'll be the real problem!
Hand this man a cigar.

$80 for one 3DS game versus $80 for fifty+ iPod games, this is why Reggie is crying about "cheap" games. I know which one I'll be putting my money into.

Bernbaum

3DS pricing is more of a relief than a celebration - $350 is a lot of coin.

I've settled on what games I'll get with my import consoles - Pilotwings Resort and SSFIV3D. Of all the 'launch window' titles, I'm most interested in the Ghost Recon Shadow Wars game.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Looks like my fraud claim is finally coming to an end, I found another bit of money in my account yesterday so i guess the other two payments aren't too far behind.

Steam is still unresolved and going by how long this second set of fraud claims is taking, the 45 days seems like it might be a legit length of time.

Maybe by early or mid march i can look at having my steam account back, If it all goes well.

jambo

Hopefully everything goes smoothly and you get your account back ok!

Volition are talking about FreeSpace 3. I came.

Jintor

Choc said:
serrels people are comparing it to US price

which is crazy because a few reasons

1. The US price does not include the sales tax the AU Price does

without GST the AU price is $318 so its only $69 than the US price without tax which is the comparable rate

in that regard its not so bad

I don't know

A good reason to compare it to US price might be because I can import it from Amazon for about... I dunno... $30 more than that the US price?

For the average consumer though I guess it's just good business practice

MrSerrels

@Choc - No headaches, although I found some games easier to view than others. I think the 3D effect is going to be one of those things I end up taking for granted - like I do with Blu-ray quality HD.

The effect is really subtle, but pretty seamless.

hamchan

Jintor said:
I don't know

A good reason to compare it to US price might be because I can import it from Amazon for about... I dunno... $30 more than that the US price?

For the average consumer though I guess it's just good business practice

Exactly. The comparison is valid since we can easily get the US system for cheaper.

Also I guess since if you take away GST the price isn't very bad, just bad.

MrSerrels

hamchan said:
Exactly. The comparison is valid since we can easily get the US system for cheaper.

Also I guess since if you take away GST the price isn't very bad, just bad.

I don't know - considering that every Nintendo console has launched at $250US / $400AU, I think we got off pretty light. You could (and probably should) argue exchange rates and parity, but games haven't dropped in price, and neither have books. I had fully expected $400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom