• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

giri

legend166 said:
Is there a more annoying journalist in existence than Mark Riley? I really don't think so.
I'm not sure i should deign to even call him a journo, but peter roebuck is terrible. He writes the stupidest stuff. I swear he's going senile or is just trolling fairfax until they fire him.

hamchan

MrSerrels said:
I don't know - considering that every Nintendo console has launched at $250US / $400AU, I think we got off pretty light. You could (and probably should) argue exchange rates and parity, but games haven't dropped in price, and neither have books. I had fully expected $400.

The DS Phat and Lite launched at $199AU though :-(

I guess portables have reached console level of prices now, that kinda sucks.

rass

is it bad form to sit at work looking at other jobs on seek/mycareer?
I reckon I could get a good 15-20% payrise if I swapped jobs. Mental.

legend166

giri said:
I'm not sure i should deign to even call him a journo, but peter roebuck is terrible. He writes the stupidest stuff. I swear he's going senile or is just trolling fairfax until they fire him.

Eh, I wasn't really counting sports journos. They are in another league.

I don't hate Roebuck. I agree with a lot of what he says, but he has a flair for the melodramatic and uses fluffy prose too much. His reaction after the Sydney test against India in 2008 was laughable, though.

Riley thinks he's top stuff, but at the end of the day he's just another lightweight channel 7 personality who I cannot stand. The absolute worst channel in existence.

Jintor

MrSerrels said:
I don't know - considering that every Nintendo console has launched at $250US / $400AU, I think we got off pretty light. You could (and probably should) argue exchange rates and parity, but games haven't dropped in price, and neither have books. I had fully expected $400.

Well, that's why I import my games and books nowadays, I suppose...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
rass said:

Nope, do it!

You still trying to fix that mac?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Breaking Bad season 3.

TV is so good right now.

Choc

Banned
the disgraceful co-advertising channel 7 has been doing with my kitchen rules is pathetic

also it is unfair to directly compare amazon to australia. For one you dont pay tax importing which is fine and of course you can and will buy from US etc but its not like if the currency fluctuates to 60c US due to a massive tanking of our sharemarket or something nintendo cant just raise the price

this needs to be factored in sometimes. I believe 349 for a premium product isn't so bad.

for joe every day who isnt hardcore and wont import 349 is a much better price than a lot of people expected.

its a $150 premium on the DS which came out 6 years ago. Given inflation and other factors such as technology that isn't so bad.

but like i said, turning half the system off for australia only is fucked.

Choc

Banned
rass said:

it can be seen as a misuse of work resources which in some work places = warning and in extreme circumstances the sack

its poor form imo

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
have they justified their decision to leave street-pass 'off' at launch? I don't understand. Some backwards law or fear of public reaction?

rass

evlcookie said:
Nope, do it!

You still trying to fix that mac?
convinced! Thanks
not very
anonymous internet man!
I'm going on a 7 day trip, wednesday to wednesday, in a month's time, I feel like I should wait until I'm back to start applying.

we have it sort of working so we gave up lol, wasted 2 days on the stupid thing. Boss will do a clean install on the weekend and hopefully everything will go back to normal. It mostly stays connected via wifi now, and finder/inDesign only crash every hour or so. :rolleyes: pos.

giri

legend166 said:
Eh, I wasn't really counting sports journos. They are in another league.

I don't hate Roebuck. I agree with a lot of what he says, but he has a flair for the melodramatic and uses fluffy prose too much. His reaction after the Sydney test against India in 2008 was laughable, though.

Riley thinks he's top stuff, but at the end of the day he's just another lightweight channel 7 personality who I cannot stand. The absolute worst channel in existence.
Roebuck writes nonsense 90% of the time. He just comes up with his own personal whimsy, or steals one of the ideas the commentators threw out there during a game and then got ridiculed.

I refuse to read his stuff anymore as i don't want to give his columns page hits.

Choc

Banned
Rez said:
have they justified their decision to leave street-pass 'off' at launch? I don't understand. Some backwards law or fear of public reaction?

it makes zero fucking sense.

It is entirely possible its to do with classification and them not wanting to deal with that factor until the COB can sort it out but i doubt it. Nintendogs launched here with bark mode which you know is the same.

However, in Australia we have significantly tougher privacy laws than most of the world. The fact the DS's can talk to each other and play games with each other WITHOUT even asking you could be a problem here and nintendo is taking the paranoid option.

They need to add an option to turn street pass off i imagine for Australian privacy laws and guess what, it doesn't have it yet i imagine.

Privacy laws here are insane compared to the rest of the world and that is somewhat a good thing, but in the case of street pass, its a bad thing.

Serrels, might be worth raising this with Nintendo and then possibly also talking to the privacy commission and see if they would see technology such as street pass a breach of privacy.

i might be on to something in my ramblings!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
rass said:
convinced! Thanks
not very
anonymous internet man!
I'm going on a 7 day trip, wednesday to wednesday, in a month's time, I feel like I should wait until I'm back to start applying.

we have it sort of working so we gave up lol, wasted 2 days on the stupid thing. Boss will do a clean install on the weekend and hopefully everything will go back to normal. It mostly stays connected via wifi now, and finder/inDesign only crash every hour or so. :rolleyes: pos.

Techtool or diskwarrior should be able to fix the issues. There should be a demo copy of each around or i'm sure someone you know with a mac is bound to have a disc.

Ignore choc! While it probably is poor form, if you're not doing anything at work then you may as well use your time on something worth it, looking for new work!

markot

Banned
Heh, I cant stand Mark Reily, or channel 7.... or 9..... or 10 >.< for news its just ABC for me really, the rest are just awful. And hell, ABC is like the only channel that has local news in Canberra.

legend166

So apparently it's some big thing that I've never heard of The Young Ones. Is it really?

Speaking of, that Ben Elton show last night was atrocious.

rass

Not a big thing - I only got introduced to it by my gf, 4 years ago.
It is a great show though if you like british comedy. Borrow/buy it, it's awesome (imho).

Mar

legend166 said:
So apparently it's some big thing that I've never heard of The Young Ones. Is it really?

Speaking of, that Ben Elton show last night was atrocious.

Rectify immediately or leave the internet. These are my terms.

Choc

Banned
everyone who drives to the city and whinges the iron cove bridge did fuck all for their car travel time

IT WASN'T BUILT FOR YOU

it was built for the buses which are apparently 20 mins faster now. So suck it up and catch a bus for fuck sake

i have no idea why people drive to the city to work, its insanity in my opinion. Unless they have kids and need to drop them off, then thats a bit more acceptable

but young people just driving because well i want to its stupid.

jambo

I bus in, I don't get why people drive either. Sure, there are a few people who don't live anywhere near bus routes, but the majority of people who drive could easily use public transport.

markot

Banned
Ive been using buses for so long and they seem to get worse and worse, terrible time tables and drivers who seem to think time is an illusion.

>.< cars forever now.

jambo

Buses in Adelaide are pretty good these days. Anything in a "Go Zone" will come every 15 minutes, sometimes even shorter gaps during peak times (morning and afternoon business runs) so it's easy for me to get to work.

giri

Mar said:
They have to justify their purchase of a giant SUV in some way.
Sort of the other way around, if htey only use it on weekends, they can justify the fuel economy if they do actually get use out of it as an SUV.

But, yeah, i don't know why you'd WANT to drive to work. I know some people in each office has to (have to be able to go buy replacement PC stuff if it imploedes) but bah, so much extra cost.

I got work to pay for my bus fare instead of car parking. Much better off this way.

Ydahs

I've relaunched my Dream Team website yesterday, Dream-Stats.com :D

Took me ages to complete (missed launch by a month) but it's finally at a stage where I can launch it. Here's the features page detailing the things I've added.

The 'main attraction', my live (and delayed) match viewer!

viewer.png

Live Demo of it in action starting at the fourth quarter from the drawn GF

Programmed using Python and designed nearly everything from scratch for the relaunch. I've also increased the efficiency by insane amounts so hopefully it can hold out under some heavy traffic...

I've posted it on a small forum I go to and the reception has been positive so far. Exciting times GAF :D

Choc

Banned
fuck me :eek: thats amazing

thats the kind of stuff that generally only the stats men at the ground have

if that is truly live data, you might have people knocking on your door about that one

you have to be careful though, very careful. If you ever sent that commercial i believe you need the AFL's permission to take feeds or data from them if that is what you are doing.

Kritz

Banned
Rez said:
Just finished Breaking Bad season 3.

TV is so good right now.
Fuckin' tell me about it. Breaking Bad, The Wire, Gen Kill, Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire, Walking Dead - pretty much anything HBO or AMC spits out.

Ydahs

Choc said:
fuck me :eek: thats amazing

thats the kind of stuff that generally only the stats men at the ground have

if that is truly live data, you might have people knocking on your door about that one

you have to be careful though, very careful. If you ever sent that commercial i believe you need the AFL's permission to take feeds or data from them if that is what you are doing.
Of course it works live (and delayed) :D

Only major worry is the traffic, since I can't afford a better host atm but I'll upgrade anyway if I need to.

I don't intend to commercialize the site, but I was planning on creating an iPhone app with the live scores and graphs and selling it for a buck or two. So to do that, I need the AFL's permission?

Choc

Banned
Ydahs said:

Only major worry is the traffic, since I can't afford a better host atm but I'll upgrade anyway if I need to.

I don't intend to commercialize the site, but I was planning on creating an iPhone app with the live scores and graphs and selling it for a buck or two. So to do that, I need the AFL's permission?

if you are using their live data feeds um yep as by selling an iphone app you are making a commercial product

you also need to register for an ABN and GST (apples rules)

I would probably try and push this as hard as i could as a free app and try and get foxsports etc attention

they might want to talk to you if it gets big about buying it for fantasy afl etc. I don't believe their fantasy leagues offer live updates.

MrSerrels

Choc said:
everyone who drives to the city and whinges the iron cove bridge did fuck all for their car travel time

IT WASN'T BUILT FOR YOU

it was built for the buses which are apparently 20 mins faster now. So suck it up and catch a bus for fuck sake

i have no idea why people drive to the city to work, its insanity in my opinion. Unless they have kids and need to drop them off, then thats a bit more acceptable

but young people just driving because well i want to its stupid.

I'd never drive into the city with traffic.

Cityrail needs to add built in wi-fi into every train. If I could browse and work on the train, that would be awesome.

Apparently the ferry from Parramatta to Circular Quay has it. Thinking about getting the ferry into work just for that feature.

Choc

Banned
MrSerrels said:
I'd never drive into the city with traffic.

Cityrail needs to add built in wi-fi into every train. If I could browse and work on the train, that would be awesome.

Apparently the ferry from Parramatta to Circular Quay has it. Thinking about getting the ferry into work just for that feature.

all the ferries in Sydney do now, except the shitboxes.

i use it, its great

Agyar

Ydahs said:

These situations with use of data are coming up more and more often, I'd be interested to see what you find out as far as the law is concerned but they're probably able to claim copyright over the data feed and restrict/license it for commercial use. The question is what it would take for your website/app to fall under that commercial use.

Choc

Banned
Agyar said:
These situations with use of data are coming up more and more often, I'd be interested to see what you find out as far as the law is concerned but they're probably able to claim copyright over the data feed and restrict/license it for commercial use. The question is what it would take for your website/app to fall under that commercial use.

i believe as soon as he tries to make money agyar, that line is crossed. If the AFL wanted to be total bastards they could argue the advertising on the site is designed to generate revenue.

the AFL would have rules around the use of their data and would let people licence it, for a fee

Choc

Banned
shady

i dont believe we are trying to scare you here, but you do have to be careful dude thats all :) just be careful before you try to make cash

what you have there however, is a resume. That site is your resume all in one.

Yes you have the paper bit but then you go oh by the way i built this all by myself in my own time and stuff.

Employers would be quite impressed i should think.

also the reaction to that story in US proves that the US government no longer represents its people.

i am glad americans think its fucked.

Ydahs

Choc said:
if you are using their live data feeds um yep as by selling an iphone app you are making a commercial product

you also need to register for an ABN and GST (apples rules)

I would probably try and push this as hard as i could as a free app and try and get foxsports etc attention

they might want to talk to you if it gets big about buying it for fantasy afl etc. I don't believe their fantasy leagues offer live updates.
It's just that I saw this on the AFL website...
Please be aware that all live statistics and scores displayed on the AFL website are provisional and not official and as such should not be re-purposed for commercial use. If any persons intend to use the statistics displayed on the site for commercial purposes ( tipping comps, fantasy football competitions, graphics displays, licensed products, etc) please note that the final scores / statistics will not be ratified until COB on the first business day after the completion of a round at the earliest.
... and assumed it didn't explicitly prohibit commercial apps.

A free app won't bother me too much, but I was hoping to use money made from it towards upgrading my host. Ah well. Thanks for the info!

I wonder how Fanfooty is selling their app?

Gazunta said:
Shady,

Are you using the data from the official AFL Fantasy Football site?

Inquiring minds would like to know ;)
From AFL Dream Team? The prices are from there which reminds me, I need to add a disclaimer somewhere once the stats section is up...

evlcookie said:
Shady, How does the logo not link back to the main site. Come on son!

Impressive work though, god damn.
Done!

Choc

Banned
i believe agyar is a lawyer or in law so he might be able to comment

but based on that paragaph and the fact it mentions commercial things you might be in the clear.

fuck me if the afl is giving that data away for free they are crazy :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking in-app colour palette micro-transations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom