• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

giri

Choc said:
just for shits and gigles i did some maths

it costs $33 AUD per Australian for the AFL TV Rights (23 million) $780 million

it costs $54 AUD per british resident for the English premier League (61 million) 1.7 billion

dunno about 8x :)
EPL clubs aren't just limited to the EPL though, FA Cup, Champions league. They gets tons more exposure. I'm also not defaming the EPL, just saying, the comparison isn't of like vs like.

Here's an example of the comparison being made.

Comparing AFL in England, to AFL in Australia. And using the Austrlian game in the argument when talking about the popularity of the english AFL code in england.

Choc

Banned
ok for comparison the a-league costs

50c per Australian (lol a bit :) )

also

In 2010 Fox Sports coverage of National Rugby League games held 73 out of the top 100 programs of any type aired Foxtel.

hrm interesting huh. NRL > AFL on Fox.

Bernbaum

If twitter has served any purpose, it's an alternative venue for me to waffle on about whatever inane crap fills out my day, thus sparing you guys in AusGAF the ordeal of constant updates of whatever I happen to be eating.

Bulletstorm, Killzone 3, de Blob 2 and Kirby's Epic Yarn all next week.

I will not be buying all of those games.

jambo

Choc said:

also

In 2010 Fox Sports coverage of National Rugby League games held 73 out of the top 100 programs of any type aired Foxtel.

Isn't that because there's way more AFL on FTA?

legend166

Choc said:

also

Yeah, there are reasons for that. Mainly, basically every AFL game on Foxtel (bar the twilight Sunday game, which is usually the worst of the round), is also shown on FTA in the relevant city. So often you'll find on say a Saturday night, a Swans game is playing on both Foxtel and Channel 10 in Sydney. So unless you're a follower of one of the lower ranked Melbourne sides, you'll always get your team on FTA.

So both figures get diluted. It didn't used to be like this before the latest TV rights deal. If Channel 10 in Sydney were showing a Fox Sports produced game involving the Swans, Fox Sports would show the FTA produced game. I think it's Channel 7s fault this doesn't happen, because Channel 9 and 10 had no problems doing it last time around.

legend166

In other news, 3DS software prices are ridiculous. That is much more likely to make me import. The hardware is just a one time cost. Paying >$70 (and who knows what they'll do if the dollar falls) every time I want to buy a game? No thanks.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Remember the 360 launch how everything was $120? Yeah same thing here.

Use your head, don't buy from guys selling at full price or buying the games that are more expensive. Big W will have most games for $58 on launch day.

legend166 said:
Yeah, there are reasons for that. Mainly, basically every AFL game on Foxtel (bar the twilight Sunday game, which is usually the worst of the round), is also shown on FTA in the relevant city. So often you'll find on say a Saturday night, a Swans game is playing on both Foxtel and Channel 10 in Sydney. So unless you're a follower of one of the lower ranked Melbourne sides, you'll always get your team on FTA.

So both figures get diluted. It didn't used to be like this before the latest TV rights deal. If Channel 10 in Sydney were showing a Fox Sports produced game involving the Swans, Fox Sports would show the FTA produced game. I think it's Channel 7s fault this doesn't happen, because Channel 9 and 10 had no problems doing it last time around.

Fuck all people in Sydney watch the AFL on FTA or fox so i doubt that has much of an impact.

Edit:
legend166 said:
In other news, 3DS software prices are ridiculous. That is much more likely to make me import. The hardware is just a one time cost. Paying >$70 (and who knows what they'll do if the dollar falls) every time I want to buy a game? No thanks.

At this point i just don't buy software new (excpet some games like SC2). I'm willing to wait a while, especially for DS games as you can always get them cheap.

jambo

I bought a Telstra pre-paid SIM for my iPad at lunch, gonna see how I go on Telstra again. It's certainly been a while. If I see a large improvement in data speeds and less drop outs I might change to Telstra in 2012!

Dead Man

Salazar said:
Sign me up for the Far Cry 2 is amazing team.

So remarkably late to it. Grabbed it cheap this morning from JB. It is so good.
I'll be interested on what you think after a few more hours. Hope you still enjoy it.

legend166

AdventureRacing said:
Fuck all people in Sydney watch the AFL on FTA or fox so i doubt that has much of an impact.

Well, Swans games usually get around 100k in Sydney on FTA.

A lot of people watch the AFL in Perth and Adelaide where the exact same thing happens. If you could only watch a lot of West Coast/Freo/Adelaide/Port games on Foxtel, something tells me Foxtel subscriber numbers would shoot up and that top 100 list would look a bit different.

Salazar said:

Console?

If so, have fun trekking halfway across Africa only to be killed by a respawning intersection brigade.

Although I do tend to suck at FPS's, so maybe I was just doing it wrong (or maybe they patched in a save anywhere function?)

legend166

Salazar said:

Far Cry 2 was an interesting experience for me. I bought it for real cheap during a Steam sale. I played it for about 30-45 minutes, and absolutely hated it. I didn't play it for another three months. I picked it up, and really started enjoying it. I put about 10 hours into it and finally got to the second map. I thought to myself "what, there's a second map? I've had enough." That was probably six months ago. I haven't touched it since. I really did like it though, I just felt there was no reason to keep playing. It didn't look as though they were really adding any new mechanics or anything.

I'd probably give it a 7/10. I think it could be a 9/10 game with mod tools. Get some smart people to fix up the horrible UI, dramatically increase the time it takes for checkpoints to respawn, a better fast travel system, etc. It would be so good.

Dead Man

legend166 said:
Far Cry 2 was an interesting experience for me. I bought it for real cheap during a Steam sale. I played it for about 30-45 minutes, and absolutely hated it. I didn't play it for another three months. I picked it up, and really started enjoying it. I put about 10 hours into it and finally got to the second map. I thought to myself "what, there's a second map? I've had enough." That was probably six months ago. I haven't touched it since. I really did like it though, I just felt there was no reason to keep playing. It didn't look as though they were really adding any new mechanics or anything.

I'd probably give it a 7/10. I think it could be a 9/10 game with mod tools. Get some smart people to fix up the horrible UI, dramatically increase the time it takes for checkpoints to respawn, a better fast travel system, etc. It would be so good.
Yeah, that would help a lot.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Doc-Aus-Gaf time.

Anyone had experience with removing a blood vessel or restoring the skin around it? I might hit up the docs if i can't find a nice simply solution, maybe get an injection or surgery fo shizzle!

Also, Something sports and something far cry 2 and twitters.

jambo

Far Cry 2 without respawning checkpoint guards would be godly.

Also a GTAII style gang system would propel it to epic godly status.

Dead Man

evlcookie said:
Doc-Aus-Gaf time.

Anyone had experience with removing a blood vessel or restoring the skin around it? I might hit up the docs if i can't find a nice simply solution, maybe get an injection or surgery fo shizzle!

Also, Something sports and something far cry 2 and twitters.
Wat? Your blood vessel? What the hell?

jambo said:
Far Cry 2 without respawning checkpoint guards would be godly.

Also a GTAII style gang system would propel it to epic godly status.
This too. Although the super awareness of the guards would need to be turned down too, and the way you seem to have a mark on your back for EVERYONE in Africa with a gun to shoot you, and the way they always know where you are.

legend166 said:
In other news, 3DS software prices are ridiculous. That is much more likely to make me import.

Our 3DS will work with European games. Europe is already the best place for Australians to import from. It shouldn't be so bad over there, especially once the games have had a few months to age.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Dead Man said:
Wat? Your blood vessel? What the hell?

Sure, Why not :D. Going by some googling people would call it a blood vessel. It's like a permanent small blob of blood, it's tiny, like there's no skin around it or something to protect it. Knick it and you will be bleeding like mad. It's going by pictures and all that, a broken blood vessel.

Bernbaum

Sooo....

In amongst the mindless Ministry of Sound generica they blast out over my lunchtime gym session is the inclusion of a great little Florence + the Machine track – a performer that I on occasion include in my own gym mixes. The only good track they play all day, and Captain Douchebag McFauxhawk loudly complains about how terrible he thinks it is before flexing his buns in front of some trashy skank who probably likes all sorts of terrible shit that I hate like reality TV and Midori Illusions.

Then...

I return to the change rooms, to the sheer horror of one of my favourite Sigur Ros tracks being butchered into a plodding dance remix by Chicane.

Yes, it’s a futile thing to complain about, and horses for courses and all that business, but wow, mainstream culture I just don’t get you.

#BernbaumNews #GetOffMyLawn #I’mComplainingAboutThisHereBecause140CharactersJustDoesn’tCutIt

Dead Man

evlcookie said:
Sure, Why not :D. Going by some googling people would call it a blood vessel. It's like a permanent small blob of blood, it's tiny, like there's no skin around it or something to protect it. Knick it and you will be bleeding like mad. It's going by pictures and all that, a broken blood vessel.
Oh, thought were talking about replacing an artery or something :p

Salazar

Dead Man said:
This too. Although the super awareness of the guards would need to be turned down too, and the way you seem to have a mark on your back for EVERYONE in Africa with a gun to shoot you, and the way they always know where you are.

If I start hating it, I have Assassin's Creed: B to finish.

evlcookie said:

Like on Derryn Hinch's nose?

Dead Man said:
Although the super awareness of the guards would need to be turned down too, and the way you seem to have a mark on your back for EVERYONE in Africa with a gun to shoot you, and the way they always know where you are.

It's a big enough issue that I knew what game you were talking about by that sentence alone. Of course, they justify it in part by pointing out that the faction troops don't know that you're working for them - so they'll all want to kill you. Doesn't make it any more enjoyable, though.

Which is a shame, because the game has some cool ideas, and looks wonderful.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
Why would you send someone who doesn't like handheld gaming to preview the 3DS?

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/games/preview-nintendo-3ds-20110215-1auja.html?rand=1297742074384

to see if the 3DS will sway your viewpoint.

it's not always best to send someone that loves something to preview something.

the writing and grammar on that article is IGN level, ie fucking shite. For a site with the prestige of smh i am amazed at that.

also research the facts kid, fuck. It's not called PSP2 so don't call it that in articles.

Complaining about a systems games based on its launch titles is also amatuer.

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
Yeah but you don't send someone who doesn't like cars to review a new Ferrari.

no you wouldn't not solely anyway

you would send a car nut and perhaps someone who doesn't like cars for alternate views

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
Next time I read Car I'll see if they have a whole bunch of people on their staff who don't like cars/

:lol

SMH is not just a car site

of course a car site it would be stupid, on a mainstream site/mag it is not

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
So that IGN review of Football Manager 2009 is the sort of thing you think we should see more often?

The IGN review of football manager 2009 was a disgrace. You would originally give a product review to someone who has some level of understanding and interest in the topic of choice

however to conduct a 2nd review or alternate view is not such a bad thing as well.

is there a cache of that FM 2009 review, ign pulled it

found a cache

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/75/video-games/american-reviews-football-manager-2009-a-361919/

Caramello

Thought I may as well join Twitter too @marc_besnard and I added everybody else from AusGAF so far.

Not sure I'll have a whole lot to say but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom