• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I have like 8 spammers following me on twitter, one has a great icon though, looks like an outstanding rack.

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out what my user name is D: although i can't see me really using it.

Mar

Choc said:
also research the facts kid, fuck. It's not called PSP2 so don't call it that in articles.

The next PSP doesn't actually have a name, NGP is a placeholder. Maybe they will call it the NGP but PSP2 is just as applicable at this point and further, more understandable to the mass consumers.

I thought the article, while not especially well written, was on point and I don't see anything to get up in arms over.

CLEEK

Choc said:
just for shits and gigles i did some maths

it costs $33 AUD per Australian for the AFL TV Rights (23 million) $780 million

it costs $54 AUD per british resident for the English premier League (61 million) 1.7 billion

dunno about 8x :)

Why are you using the population of the UK for the English Premier League. The population of England is 51 million. Scotland has it's own league and the Welsh and Northern Irish, um, they've got sheep banging and killing each other as their nation sports.

$1,700,000,000 / 51,000,000 = $33

jambo

Mar said:
The next PSP doesn't actually have a name, NGP is a placeholder. Maybe they will call it the NGP but PSP2 is just as applicable at this point and further, more understandable to the mass consumers.

I thought the article, while not especially well written, was on point and I don't see anything to get up in arms over.
You're doing it wrong Mar.

You need to use Choc's patented OOP method. Over-react, Over-sensationalise and Patronise.

Choc

Banned
SPE said:
Why are you using the population of the UK for the English Premier League. The population of England is 51 million. Scotland has it's own league and the Welsh and Northern Irish, um, they've got sheep banging and killing each other as their nation sports.

$1,700,000,000 / 51,000,000 = $33

because the rights to the EPL in the 1.7 billion covered the United Kingdom

The population of the United Kingdom is 61 million

i am not implying every australian watches AFL but if you break it down to cost per capita thats what it is

cost per capita of the EPL deal is what i said.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
fappenmeister said:
Cookie can't the doctors cauterize the exposed bit so it's sealed off?
They probably can, I'm just a lazy fuck and I never go to the soca. So going for something so small seems like a waste of time.

Missed my bus by 10 seconds, screw you metro, run your shit on time. Should be interesting to see the changes if it destroys or actually improves reliability. Seems like they are going to try and untangle the loop and throw more trains into the mix as well. It was funny to read that the old trains can't get up to speed anymore with everyone on board, damn old trains.

My twitter. Public transport rage, shaving and face care.

Choc will also dominate posts in this thread, 50% will be his by the time we hit 20k and I thought I was bad!

Agyar

evlcookie said:
They probably can, I'm just a lazy fuck and I never go to the soca. So going for something so small seems like a waste of time.

Missed my bus by 10 seconds, screw you metro, run your shit on time. Should be interesting to see the changes if it destroys or actually improves reliability. Seems like they are going to try and untangle the loop and throw more trains into the mix as well. It was funny to read that the old trains can't get up to speed anymore with everyone on board, damn old trains.

My twitter. Public transport rage, shaving and face care.

Choc will also dominate posts in this thread, 50% will be his by the time we hit 20k and I thought I was bad!

Where's the thing that lets you see how many things people have posted in the thing?

Caramello

For the new page..

Thought I may as well join Twitter too @marc_besnard and I added everybody else from AusGAF so far.

Not sure I'll have a whole lot to say but we'll see.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
You have 2000 posts on a NamcoBandai Partners message board and a giant obnoxious signature

Your roll.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Rez said:
You have 2000 posts on a NamcoBandai Partners message board and a giant obnoxious signature

Your roll.

It used to be the Atari forums.. and before that Gamenation

I've got way more than 2000 on my previous iterations :p

hamchan

nicksig1cw2.gif

Good sirs, how is this not awesome?

HolyCheck

- nintendogs + cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends - $69.95
- nintendogs + cats: French Bulldog & New Friends - $69.95
- nintendogs + cats: Toy Poodle & New Friends - $69.95
- Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition - Price TBA
- Asphalt 3D - $69.95
- Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs - $69.95
- LEGO Star Wars III The Clone Wars - TBA
- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Shadow Wars - $69.95
- PES 2011 3D – Pro Evolution Soccer - $79.95
- Rabbids 3D - $69.95
- Rayman 3D - $69.95
- Ridge Racer 3D - $69.95
- Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell 3D - $69.95
- The Sims 3 - $69.95
- Super Monkey Ball - $79.95

That's a joke right??

how long have handheld games been over like $40 - $50 :(

I hate this if true.

HolyCheck

bastards.

Melbourne GAF, where's good to live?

I don't really know any of your suburbs, but I'm looking for your middle - uppermiddle class type suburbs

if it helps, to equate it to adelaide, Prospect / North Adelaide

Carlton / North Melbourne seem nice from what i've seen when walking around

what about other areas nearish the city, collingwood? richmond? south melbourne?

edit: renting not buying, don't really have a budget, never lived out of home before, but I guess 100 - 250 a week? how much is rent normaly?

more info i guess..

I dunno what i'm looking for.. either a 1 bedroom apartment, or.. fuck it how much is a house?

don't really wanna rent a room in like an apartment with strangers (i have social issues [hence i post on gaf])

what kinds of things do i need to look for? where do i look to rent

i've never lived out of home.. let alone out of adelaide

help me ausgaf. guide me.

what are the differences between studios, apartments, studio apartments and units?

all this termonology

i take it from any of those suburbs above it's pretty easy to get to the MCG?

how much do things like electricity usually cost? I take it in these student type apartments theyre included, other places not, most include water

but how much just incase would a single male living on his own use in water / elect? enough to make me want to decrease how much rent im willing to pay?

internet too i guess, but that's not going to be included as of yet in my budgeting

shit food too, how much do people spend on food?

or should i just save up 5 - 10 grand and then borrow off family and buy a house

how much is a house

or how much is it to buy apartments

where do people go to look at prices

is realestate.com.au a good place to start

how do you get a bank loan

do you need a permanent full time job

oh god

is it worth it or if i have family whom i can likely borrow off (altho i'd feel a bit bad) is it safest / best to just do that (there would be no bad blood.. it's more me being stubborn and not wanting to ask)

how do you buy a house isnt it something like you need 10% on the total price upfront?

or is it 20%? I'm seeing 1 - 2 bedroom apartments for sale for around 200k...

anyone know the basic process to buying? i take it, have some money upfront, + get a bank loan, buy the house, then pay off the bank as you go on?

HolyCheck

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Off to Kiwiland today with the missus-to-be. Wish me luck.

have fun!

make sure you go to dunedin if you're going down south, it's rad.

queenstown is only cool if you're eXTREME

giri

HolyCheck said:
Holy Check Massive Rambling Post.

you can get loans with 5% deposit, you'll just get forced to buy mortgage insurance (which will cost about 5 - 10% of the loan) and the rate that they offer you won't be as good. Having 20% is considered "the standard", but anything over 15 is gravy.

I don't think any bank would ever lend to you if you haven't been in your job for over 3 months, and been working for time for a few years, and you're not permanent (i.e. not on probation).

HolyCheck said:

Being from Sydney I really can't comment on any of the Melbourne specific stuff, however if you want to buy a place the first thing to do IMO would be to call your bank and find out your affordability (ie how much they would be willing to lend you).

Keep in mind this won't be a loan approval, just a general idea of what they would be willing to give you should a loan application be approved.

Once the bank gives you this affordability figure, knock a couple of hundred grand off it. When we applied for our home loan the bank was willing to give us a crapload more than we could honestly afford. Do a serious budget and work out what is the most you could afford, taking into account potential interest rate rises.

Next thing would be to start looking at places online via domain and realestate.com.au, find out an average price for the sort of place you want to buy, and use a home loan calculator on one of the bank websites to work out what you would have to pay per month. If it is more than you can afford then adjust your expectations accordingly.

Also if you are looking at buying a unit/apartment, make sure you know all the strata costs, and budget for them, as these can be quite expensive.

And yeh, as Giri says, the more deposit the better... LMI (lenders mortgage insurance) can be a killer.

giri

Choc said:
thanks to john arsehole howard probation is now six months, well its allowed to be anyway.
Is there anything you don't have a comlaint about?

BanShunsaku said:
Once the bank gives you this affordability figure, knock a couple of hundred grand off it. When we applied for our home loan the bank was willing to give us a crapload more than we could honestly afford. Do a serious budget and work out what is the most you could afford, taking into account potential interest rate rises.

Also if you are looking at buying a unit/apartment, make sure you know all the strata costs, and budget for them, as these can be quite expensive.

Yeah, seriously. I know comm bank said they could loan me upto $750k. I ended up borrowing just over $400, and i would hate to be paying back any more than that on my salary.

And if you're looking at buynig a unit apartment, you really want to inspect it at a time when other residents are home, so you know how much noise from other units in your complex, will filter into your own. I have had many friends who rent/bought apartments in new complexs complain that they really can hear everything that goes on next door. Mine, being older, has brick walls even for the walls between apartments, and that stops a lot of noise coming into each others apartments (actually, i can't hear anything anyone in my own complex does).

Choc

Banned
six months probation is a joke. If you don't know after 3 months you will never know imo.

then again i am not the owner of a company so i guess its hard to contemplate that, just stupid though imo.

also, reposted from 3DS dev thread

Nintendo 3DS (Development only) “Panda” USA – $324
Nintendo 3DS (Development only) “Panda” EU – $324
Nintendo 3DS (Development only) “Panda” AUS – $324

interesting that Australia has its own kit (thats 324 USD) btw.

It is ENTIRELY possible (the carts are after all labeled AUS for DS if you have a look at the stickers) that we will not be regioned with Europe

the 3DS just became a whole lot worse if thats true.

PS. Don't tell me you agreed with workchoices giri?

Also noise with apartment blocks generally works like this (generally....)

if it was built in the early 80s or before noise should be okish from other units. If its a flat pack piece of shit modcon from the 90s, noise will be a major issue

and before you say eh i dont mind hearing other people, you might when you are in bed late at night hearing others get it on. We used to have this problem, then the people moved. (to be fair they were so loud the entire block would have heard them).

Also try and found out the owner occupier/renter ratio. High rental units means that you have the potential of new neighbours every so often and the problems they may bring.

giri

Choc said:
six months probation is a joke. If you don't know after 3 months you will never know imo.

PS. Don't tell me you agreed with workchoices giri?

I can tell you from training MANY people, that 3 months is a very small amount of time, most people aren't expected to know their job after 3 months, and many are JUST starting to get the grasp of the whole of it. It really does take atleast 6 months to know if someone is going to be able to handle a job.

I agree'd with many many aspects of workchoices. It was horribly portrayed by union activists who saw a massive decrease in their own power, and horribly advertised by the government. But not the whole thing. The individual contracts thing was silly. But in general i support the idea of "nationalised" standards for pay rates amongst industries. If you've ever tried to figure out your award rate or what ever, you probably fall into any of 6 different classfications.

Also, what a lot of people forget with work choices is that it didn't remove unfair dismissal laws or allow discrimination or anything like that. It just allowed employers to circumvent unions.

[don't get me started on unions, they're archiac menaces in modern day australia as they currently exist]

I think our apartment is about 15 years old, and we are lucky enough to have really good soundproofing. I honestly have never heard my neighbours on either side, only sound problem we have is that we sometimes get footsteps from above (I'm pretty sure they have floating floorboards up there).

I'm guessing they have some kind of morbidly obese relative who visits, cos its only every now and then we hear it, and its like theres a motherfucking baby elephant up there.

Choc

Banned
giri said:
I can tell you from training MANY people, that 3 months is a very small amount of time, most people aren't expected to know their job after 3 months, and many are JUST starting to get the grasp of the whole of it. It really does take atleast 6 months to know if someone is going to be able to handle a job.

I agree'd with many many aspects of workchoices. It was horribly portrayed by union activists who saw a massive decrease in their own power, and horribly advertised by the government. But not the whole thing. The individual contracts thing was silly. But in general i support the idea of "nationalised" standards for pay rates amongst industries. If you've ever tried to figure out your award rate or what ever, you probably fall into any of 6 different classfications.

Also, what a lot of people forget with work choices is that it didn't remove unfair dismissal laws or allow discrimination or anything like that. It just allowed employers to circumvent unions.

[don't get me started on unions, they're archiac menaces in modern day australia as they currently exist]

oh hey the nationalised awards is a much better system i must agree, and i have had to at times look at the award wages etc in different state and it becomes an absolute mess.

the ability to stand down employees for a few hours while a company was low on orders etc was just ridiculous though etc etc as was the contracts.

by the way giri, it DID remove unfair dismissal laws for any company with less than 15 employees. There was no ability to dispute a dismissal in a business that small. Above that it remained but in a less capacity.

Abbott said last year he wants to bring that back.

giri

Choc said:
oh hey the nationalised awards is a much better system i must agree, and i have had to at times look at the award wages etc in different state and it becomes an absolute mess.

the ability to stand down employees for a few hours while a company was low on orders etc was just ridiculous though etc etc as was the contracts.

by the way giri, it DID remove unfair dismissal laws for any company with less than 15 employees. There was no ability to dispute a dismissal in a business that small. Above that it remained but in a less capacity.

Abbott said last year he wants to bring that back.

You still coudln't be fired for discrimatory or arbitary reasons, such as i don't like you, they company still had to have a valid reason to fire you, they just didnt need to drag it out for 6 - 12months. And if you could prove either, just like now, you would be open to compensation, regardless of the size of the business. Which is what 90% of unfair dismissal cases are.

Even now, small business's have an easier time firing someone than large business's.

The apartment noise thing is really important. I like to watch stuf at relatively loud volumes, and even friday/saturday night like to listen to music relatively loud. If my apartment block wasn't one of the older ones (built around the late 70's) but rather one of the late 90's onwards ones, i'd probably get a lot of noise comlaints ><. As it is, i never hear any of my complex, truely blessed in that regard.

Omikron

giri said:
The apartment noise thing is really important. I like to watch stuf at relatively loud volumes, and even friday/saturday night like to listen to music relatively loud. If my apartment block wasn't one of the older ones (built around the late 70's) but rather one of the late 90's onwards ones, i'd probably get a lot of noise comlaints ><. As it is, i never hear any of my complex, truely blessed in that regard.

I am in a ~2-3 year old apartment block (8 apts in the building) and the noise is minimal between floors and 0 between neighbours. Only odd bit you get is when the people below us crank up the bass really fuck off loud and you get some nice vibration. :p

Is temporary anyways as we look to upgrade in the next 12 months to a house most likely. This place was too good a price to turn down to get us into the market.

giri

Omi said:
I am in a ~2-3 year old apartment block (8 apts in the building) and the noise is minimal between floors and 0 between neighbours. Only odd bit you get is when the people below us crank up the bass really fuck off loud and you get some nice vibration. :p

Is temporary anyways as we look to upgrade in the next 12 months to a house most likely. This place was too good a price to turn down to get us into the market.
It's not to say they don't exist, it's just not the norm. It's one thing in a rental, a different in a purchase :p Just saying, look for it, and inspect during a time when other tennants are home to test it.

Omikron

giri said:
It's not to say they don't exist, it's just not the norm. It's one thing in a rental, a different in a purchase :p Just saying, look for it, and inspect during a time when other tennants are home to test it.

Don't disagree with you at all.

Meanwhile, enjoy your holiday Gattuso you piece of shit. Head butting a 59yo coach ffs.

3359u3b.gif

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
Don't disagree with you at all.

Meanwhile, enjoy your holiday Gattuso you piece of shit. Head butting a 59yo coach ffs.

3359u3b.gif

thats what happens when over paid prima donnas are beaten by a generally under rated english team

he should go for the rest of the UCL but UEFA have zero balls when it comes to the italians

slap on the wrist coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom