• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikron

@legend - because he is Ljubo Miličević and you better pronounce that correctly, or you will just be another 'aussie bogan'. ;)

Being serious for a minute, Ljubo has mental issues I am sure. Some of the stuff he has been spouting of late is just filled with so much hatred and bile. If anyone has seen the 'interview' with SBS a few weeks back, he was ranting and raving about how no one here is professional etc etc, no one can say his name correctly and how glad he is to be leaving Australia behind. Meanwhile, there he is, sipping on his VB in a special bottle. Hilarious. Good riddance Ljubo, don't let the door hit you too hard on the way out.

PS> SBS / David Basheer certainly gave Ljubo a lot of rope to hang himself in that interview as well. Their 'world game' coverage isn't worth much these days imo. Too much of an old boys club with Les at the helm, much like the old NSL / SA days they said long had to change. :)

Omikron

Salazar said:
I miss Serie A roundup on Sunday mornings.

Heh, I remember full EPL / Serie A games on the weekends... :(

Edit: Thankfully OneHD are covering a lot of it now, so barely touch SBS for football these days.

Choc

Banned
mark, good article. Well researched and yay to domino for agreeing to do it :)

just one thing. It's a shame you didn't get the ACCC to comment. I know you mention the ACCC as does Brennan but it would have been excellent to try and get a statement from the ACCC, even if its a blanket the ACCC says region coding is fucked statement :p

they are the ones that took up the Sony fight because of the restriction to consumers importing and they are the ones that will do it again if need be. It would have been great to get their viewpoint on the current situation.

Gazunta

I just miss seeing Johnny Warren on TV :(

Somehow sitting with his family and friends at the World Cup Qualifier game was literally the best night of my life.

MrSerrels

Choc said:
mark, good article. Well researched and yay to domino for agreeing to do it :)

just one thing. It's a shame you didn't get the ACCC to comment. I know you mention the ACCC as does Brennan but it would have been excellent to try and get a statement from the ACCC, even if its a blanket the ACCC says region coding is fucked statement :p

they are the ones that took up the Sony fight because of the restriction to consumers importing and they are the ones that will do it again if need be. It would have been great to get their viewpoint on the current situation.

That's a good call actually - might give them a ring.

Omikron

Gazunta said:
I just miss seeing Johnny Warren on TV :(

Somehow sitting with his family and friends at the World Cup Qualifier game was literally the best night of my life.

:-o

How did you manage that one? Would have been epic.

I was too nervous to even go out and watch that. I think I sat like 1m away from the TV biting my nails the entire game.

remz

there exists not a unit of measurement small enough to express how quickly I'm buying MvC3 after work today.

THANK YOU, JB HIFI

Choc

Banned
just for those who give a shitzor about the a-league

ONE HD will apparently have the highlights show next season and potentially 1 delayed game. (Fox Live)

legend166

Omi said:
@legend - because he is Ljubo Miličević and you better pronounce that correctly, or you will just be another 'aussie bogan'. ;)

Being serious for a minute, Ljubo has mental issues I am sure. Some of the stuff he has been spouting of late is just filled with so much hatred and bile. If anyone has seen the 'interview' with SBS a few weeks back, he was ranting and raving about how no one here is professional etc etc, no one can say his name correctly and how glad he is to be leaving Australia behind. Meanwhile, there he is, sipping on his VB in a special bottle. Hilarious. Good riddance Ljubo, don't let the door hit you too hard on the way out.

PS> SBS / David Basheer certainly gave Ljubo a lot of rope to hang himself in that interview as well. Their 'world game' coverage isn't worth much these days imo. Too much of an old boys club with Les at the helm, much like the old NSL / SA days they said long had to change. :)

Contrary to what you might think after yesterdays discussion, but I like soccer. Not a huge fan, but I follow it casually. But I'll be damned if soccer in Australia doesn't have the most annoying talking heads in existence. I like Simon Hill and some of the guys on Fox Sports, but the SBS dudes just have the biggest chips on their shoulder that it makes them painful to listen to. Craig 'Fozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzie' Foster is the worst. That guy does more harm to the code in this country than anything else. His work during the World Cup was hilariously bad.

Bernbaum

Mar said:
On Bulletstorm, I really don't think much of it. I don't know how Epic manage it but I haven't been interested in one of their games since the very first Unreal.
I think the pervasive ‘carrot on a stick’ implementation of leaderboards in games like NFS: Hot Pursuit is great because the competitive component is intrinsically part of the racing experience.

In an FPS, however, the inclusion of such a feature works to the detriment of me having ‘my experience’ and it becomes less about what I enjoy on a bullet-by-bullet basis and more about sheer point-scoring. The demo put me off it, and I think THQ’s Homefront (which despite the packaging looks more towards the Half-Life than the CoD end of spectrum) has more of what I crave from a FPS.

Gazunta, your strip on newspapers is brilliant.

MrSerrels

legend166 said:
Contrary to what you might think after yesterdays discussion, but I like soccer. Not a huge fan, but I follow it casually. But I'll be damned if soccer in Australia doesn't have the most annoying talking heads in existence. I like Simon Hill and some of the guys on Fox Sports, but the SBS dudes just have the biggest chips on their shoulder that it makes them painful to listen to. Craig 'Fozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzie' Foster is the worst. That guy does more harm to the code in this country than anything else. His work during the World Cup was hilariously bad.

The thing with Fozzie is, he actually really knows his stuff. One of the few guys that doesn't just talk utter bollocks when he deconstructs moments from the game. He actually talks sense when he sticks to that kind of stuff.

The rest of the guys are just painfully uninformed bullshitters though.

Choc

Banned
Bernbaum said:
Gazunta, your strip on newspapers is brilliant.

also inspired by ausgaf lols

fozzie is good but some of the tripe he writes in the sunday tele is amazingly fantasy level stuff in Australia

and i am a football fan

fuck Australian football clubs (soccer) are so delusional i just got this email right

Sydney FC Corporate Cup
Friday 8 April, 2011
Do you have anyone in your office who claims to be a midfield dynamo like Nick Carle or has a better finish than Bruno Cazarine? As a Sydney FC supporter, you know the passion behind football and what it means to be part of the Sydney FC family. To give our fans an opportunity to show us what they've got we are launching the first ever Sydney FC Corporate Cup at 'The Domain', Sydney.
This is your opportunity to network with other companies in Sydney’s business community, meet some of the Sydney FC players and build on staff engagement as well as tackling that colleague in Sales or making your boss run around for hours!

Match Day Program:

12.00: All teams arrive & sign in
12.30: Group stage commences
15.30: Afternoon catering provided
17.30: Knockout stage commences
18.30: Grand Final match
19.30: Award Presentations at The Pavilion Restaurant in The Domain (Includes finger food & alcoholic beverages)
Presentation of the Sydney FC Corporate Cup by Sydney FC Head Coach Vitezslav Lavicka
Format / draw:
• 6 groups each with 5 teams (maximum of 10 players per team)
• Each team plays a minimum of 4 games
• Each game goes for 2 x 10 minute halves on a ½ sized pitch
• Games are played with 1 goalkeeper and 5 field players per team
• The winners of each group plus the 2 best placed runner up teams proceed to the Knockout stage

sounds awesome right, kinda cool, kinda great

but then you get to this

Total cost per team is $ 2,200 incl. GST

and you say FUCK THAT.

Gazunta

Omi, I went with a Football journalist who got into the VIP area. I couldn't speak for at least a week I was screaming so much.

Before the match started there was a video montage on the jumbotron dedicated to Johnny Warren's life while You'll Never Walk Alone played. not a dry eye in the stadium by the end of it.

Just the feeling that...the last three decades of his life were dedicated to this night, that Australia getting into the World Cup was not only inevitable...but the only right piece of justice the world could deliver for the cruel crime of him not being here...was over us all.

And my God, when Aloisi put that penalty goal in. I still break out in a maniacal grin when I think about it. The feeling in the air was more than electric - it was like every single one of us got hit by lightning at the same time and we loved every volt of it.

I'M NOT CRYING I GOT SOMETHING IN MY EYE OK, THIS OFFICE MUST BE REALLY DUSTY

legend166

Gazunta said:
Omi, I went with a Football journalist who got into the VIP area. I couldn't speak for at least a week I was screaming so much.

Before the match started there was a video montage on the jumbotron dedicated to Johnny Warren's life while You'll Never Walk Alone played. not a dry eye in the stadium by the end of it.

Just the feeling that...the last three decades of his life were dedicated to this night, that Australia getting into the World Cup was not only inevitable...but the only right piece of justice the world could deliver for the cruel crime of him not being here...was over us all.

And my God, when Aloisi put that penalty goal in. I still break out in a maniacal grin when I think about it. The feeling in the air was more than electric - it was like every single one of us got hit by lightning at the same time and we loved every volt of it.

Yeah, it would have been awesome to be there.

I think people who don't follow sports (or at least, don't go to live sports) don't know just how amazing those sporting moments can be when you're at the ground. Anything that can make you hug complete strangers (like I have done several times at Swans matches) is something special.

Gazunta

Thanks guys, really happy people are liking them!

I live in Queensland's bogan capital, there's tons of material every time I go to the shops.

Didn't want to spam this forum any more though :)

Omikron

Gazunta said:

Awesome, I am so immensely jealous of anyone that managed to go. :))

It is one of THOSE moments that will be remembered by those there or not for a very, very long time.

Choc

Banned
The explosive comments came in an interview with football magazine Australian Four Four Two, where he also declared the AFL was riddled with sexist and racist attitudes in which women and ethnic people were treated with ridicule and disdain.

the man speaks the truth

legend166

Choc said:
The explosive comments came in an interview with football magazine Australian Four Four Two, where he also declared the AFL was riddled with sexist and racist attitudes in which women and ethnic people were treated with ridicule and disdain.

the man speaks the truth

As opposed to soccer, where monkey chants abound and women linesman are ridiculed by the commentators?

This crap exists in all sports. For that moron to act as if soccer is above it is just ridiculous.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
As opposed to soccer, where monkey chants abound and women linesman are ridiculed by the commentators?

This crap exists in all sports. For that moron to act as if soccer is above it is just ridiculous.

yes andy grey was poor form indeed.

and its fucking fact that the AFL thinks its above the law and its proven by its drugs policy, 3 strikes and your out

that completely breaks WADA rules. Only reason AFL gets away with it, is that its not an international sport.

WADA controls international sport and 1 drug find is enough for 2 years.

NRL runs under that, so does FFA soooo....... he's right in many ways.

Salazar

Choc said:

Never even picked one up. Love the UK version, but a bunch of newsagents seem to have stopped getting it in favour of the Australian one.

MrSerrels

Salazar said:
Never even picked one up. Love the UK version, but a bunch of newsagents seem to have stopped getting it in favour of the Australian one.

Was it 4-4-2 that did the Barcelona issue a while back? Because that was just an incredible magazine piece.

legend166

Choc said:
yes andy grey was poor form indeed.

and its fucking fact that the AFL thinks its above the law and its proven by its drugs policy, 3 strikes and your out

that completely breaks WADA rules. Only reason AFL gets away with it, is that its not an international sport.

WADA controls international sport and 1 drug find is enough for 2 years.

NRL runs under that, so does FFA soooo....... he's right in many ways.

That is incorrect, choc.

The WADA policy covers testing for drugs in competition, and performance enhancing drugs out of competition. The AFL follows this policy.

The 'three strikes' policy covers recreational drugs outside of competition. Which WADA does not cover.

Gazunta

Salazar said:

Oh God, that absolutely shits me when that happens. When I buy a UK magazine I want to buy the UK magazine, not a photocopy of it with someone else's name scribbled into the bylines. See: Australian Edge, Australian Nintendo Magazine System
Australia Xbox Magazine
. It's not so much that the Australian version exists that pisses me off, it's the fact you can't buy the 'real' version any more.

I hate buying the UK version of Wired accidentally.

legend166 said:
Someone should make a thread on the gaming board for Gaz's comic. They're much better than the crap that usually gets threads.
(Hides under the table)

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
That is incorrect, choc.

The WADA policy covers testing for drugs in competition, and performance enhancing drugs out of competition. The AFL follows this policy.

The 'three strikes' policy covers recreational drugs outside of competition. Which WADA does not cover.

so in your terms if someone gets caught with coke in their system after a match first time around they cop a 2 year ban

that aint how the AFL sprout it. Plus the drug positives in the AFL recently have been during the season, how the fuck is that not in competition.

They comply with WADA on performance enhancing, but not the recreational stuff.

legend166

Choc said:
so in your terms if someone gets caught with coke in their system after a match first time around they cop a 2 year ban

that aint how the AFL sprout it. Plus the drug positives in the AFL recently have been during the season, how the fuck is that not in competition.

They comply with WADA on performance enhancing, but not the recreational stuff.

'In competition' is a WADA term defined by WADA. I think it basically means before and after the match. If an AFL player is found with cocaine in his system 'in competition', it falls under the WADA code.

I'm pretty sure the AFL are the only code in Australia to perform out of competitions recreational testing.

Also, Gaz!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25969530#post25969530

:)

Hopefully people are kind ._.

Choc

Banned
How the AFL's illicit drug policy works
Strike one: player, player's club doctor and AFL medical commissioner advised of the offence. Suspended $5000 fine imposed. Counselling and target testing follows.

Strike two: player, player's club doctor and AFL medical commissioner advised. Suspended sanction of six matches applied. More intense counselling and target testing.

Strike three: player is "deemed to have engaged in conduct unbecoming'' and ordered to appear before the AFL tribunal. Faces a suspension of up to 12 matches - PLUS the six-match suspended sentence for a maximum of 18 matches. The suspended $5000 sanction is also imposed.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=101625

from the horses mouth.

where does that mention in and out of competition. it doesn't. Strike 1 in Soccer and NRL would be 2 year ban end of story as per WADA and ASDA rules

legend: should have put gaz thread in OT

legend166

Choc said:
How the AFL's illicit drug policy works
Strike one: player, player's club doctor and AFL medical commissioner advised of the offence. Suspended $5000 fine imposed. Counselling and target testing follows.

Strike two: player, player's club doctor and AFL medical commissioner advised. Suspended sanction of six matches applied. More intense counselling and target testing.

Strike three: player is "deemed to have engaged in conduct unbecoming'' and ordered to appear before the AFL tribunal. Faces a suspension of up to 12 matches - PLUS the six-match suspended sentence for a maximum of 18 matches. The suspended $5000 sanction is also imposed.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=101625

from the horses mouth.

where does that mention in and out of competition. it doesn't. Strike 1 in Soccer and NRL would be 2 year ban end of story as per WADA and ASDA rules

legend: should have put gaz thread in OT

That's the AFLs Illicit Drug policy. They developed it to run on top of the WADA code. The AFL signed the WADA code back in 2005. It's the same as every other league in that regard.

FIFA are arguing against out of competition testing:

http://www.allvoices.com/s/event-27...tL3Nwb3J0Mi9oaS9mb290YmFsbC83OTU2MjY1LnN0bQ==

Choc

Banned
the cyclone in Darwin may be no yasi but its doing a lot of damage

it could do more damage as i dont think tehy are built to cyclone code in Darwin like they are FNQ

jambo

You don't think that Darwin, which was hit by Cyclone Tracy in 1974, killing some 70 people and wiping out three quarters of the city, is built to cyclone code?

=\

Over 80% of the buildings in Darwin are built to cyclone code.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Holy shit, I guess it just pissed down with rain in my area in melb. Near the station the streets were flooded at least knee high. Some fuckwit tried to drive through it, didn't turn out so well for him haha.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
evlcookie said:
Your name is Pueblo or did you just make up an awesome sounding name ?

It's my friends very awesome nickname for me lol

legend166 said:
I own precisely one fighting game - Soul Calibur 2.

Yes, my 15 year old self bought it because Link was in it.

I was never any good at it.

Yes, this is the reason I bought it, and I became pretty damn good at it :D loved it

Axiom

Just want to chime in and say that the Aussie version of Nintendo Magazine System was bloody brilliant. At least until the revamp where they fired everybody and made it more for younger kids before the N64 hit.

Sniping between different football codes and state bickering is fine if not serious, but rather juvanile when you're acting like the Mega Drive pissed on your SNES' mother.

Kritz

Banned
Man kittens grow up fast.

Kitty's almost completely toilet trained, is super healthy, is warming up to the other animals (except for the ones that try to murder it), has grown quite a bit in only a week, and actually goes to sleep kind of when you want it to.

And every now and then it gets itself stuck in a vase or finds its way to the top of a cupboard with no obvious ways to get down or hides inside your pillows while it sleeps and you only find out when you lay your head down and feel the pillow moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom