• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agyar

giri said:
When did i champion I.E. ? i haven't used IE as my main browser since before Fire Fox came out.

I have a recollection of you saying you preferred and used IE over Firefox because Firefox was Netscape and Netscape was bad.

giri

Agyar said:
I have a recollection of you saying you preferred and used IE over Firefox because Firefox was Netscape and Netscape was bad.
Netscape was bad. Back then, i did prefer IE. And fire fox was built from the Netscape code iirc, though i'm sure highly modified these days.

These days i alternate between Maxthon and Chrome.

Choc

Banned
from my previous link

What are those laws? Apart from the laughable track test stuff, as a journalist you are expressly forbidden from driving any current Ferrari road car without permission from the factory. So if I want to drive my mate's 458 tomorrow, I have to ask the factory. Will it allow me to drive the car? No: because it is of "unknown provenance," i.e. not tuned

wooooooow :eek:

giri

Choc said:
from my previous link

What are those laws? Apart from the laughable track test stuff, as a journalist you are expressly forbidden from driving any current Ferrari road car without permission from the factory. So if I want to drive my mate's 458 tomorrow, I have to ask the factory. Will it allow me to drive the car? No: because it is of "unknown provenance," i.e. not tuned

wooooooow :eek:
They're trying to protect their brand. Once the car leaves their dealership, they don't have much control over the maintenance on it etc. So they don't want a journo going to drive his mates 360 that hasn't seen maintenance in 10 years and runs like a dog, to come back and say "ferrari's aren't what i thought they would be".

When you're as big and powerful as them, you can do that shit. You've got to remember, in these ultra luxury exclusive brands, normal retail rules just don't apply.

Stackboy

Anyone picked up Mahvel Vs Capgod 3 yet? I'm getting it for PS3 this afternoon, but I've heard people are having issues connecting to online games.

I pick up Australian Game Informer every now and then, for the record. Has some good articles from the US version, from time to time. Plus it's pretty cheap.

Choc

Banned
giri said:
They're trying to protect their brand. Once the car leaves their dealership, they don't have much control over the maintenance on it etc. So they don't want a journo going to drive his mates 360 that hasn't seen maintenance in 10 years and runs like a dog, to come back and say "ferrari's aren't what i thought they would be".

any journo worth their salt would realise a car needs to be maintained though.

The journalist makes a funny on the next line saying 'i am tempted to buy a 458 myself just so i need to call italy every morning before i take my kids to school, and see how they like it'

thats beyond ridiculous.

remz

Stackboy said:
Anyone picked up Mahvel Vs Capgod 3 yet? I'm getting it for PS3 this afternoon, but I've heard people are having issues connecting to online games.

I pick up Australian Game Informer every now and then, for the record. Has some good articles from the US version, from time to time. Plus it's pretty cheap.
the net code is really shitty but the game is super fun

giri

Choc said:
any journo worth their salt would realise a car needs to be maintained though.

The journalist makes a funny on the next line saying 'i am tempted to buy a 458 myself just so i need to call italy every morning before i take my kids to school, and see how they like it'

thats beyond ridiculous.

Would they though? How would he know when it was last serviced? Maybe he thought that was how they just "were".

And other manufacturers do the same stuff. 2 weeks ago the ep of top gear that aired, Bentley pulled their car out of the show at the last second when they realised it was going up against the phantom and the mercedes.

Choc

Banned
giri said:
Bentley pulled their car out of the show at the last second when they realised it was going up against the phantom and the mercedes.

I don't have an issue with car manufacturers not wanting direct comparisons like that, fair enough.

but to ask people to call them before they drive a friends Ferrari i mean thats just ridiculous.

I also somewhat don't have an issue with Ferrari customising their car to the test track to give it the best performance, thats what they do, thats their job.

but

controlling you in your day to day is where you say fuck off.

Agyar

Choc said:
controlling you in your day to day is where you say fuck off.

The problem here really lies with press organisations accepting these apparently ridiculous conditions under which they can test Ferrari's cars. Ferrari are only really controlling the day to day motoring of motor-vehicle journalists insomuch as they have all the power in the relationship between the press and their company because the journalists all play by their rules. If you break the rules, they cut you off but it's only because the press as a whole plays by these rules that the threat of ostracism is so great.

If everybody jacked up and refused to cover or test Ferrari's cars under those conditions, the balance of power would be flipped and Ferrari would have to either change their policies or risk having no relationship with the press, who continue to cover and promote their competitors vehicles.

Choc

Banned
Agyar said:
The problem here really lies with press organisations accepting these apparently ridiculous conditions under which they can test Ferrari's cars. Ferrari are only really controlling the day to day motoring of motor-vehicle journalists insomuch as they have all the power in the relationship between the press and their company because the journalists all play by their rules. If you break the rules, they cut you off but it's only because the press as a whole plays by these rules that the threat of ostracism is so great.

If everybody jacked up and refused to cover or test Ferrari's cars under those conditions, the balance of power would be flipped and Ferrari would have to either change their policies or risk having no relationship with the press, who continue to cover and promote their competitors vehicles.

i won't go into details, but Ferrari sounds a whole fuck ton like Nintendo was when i was in the media.

Ferrari wouldn't change, they wouldn't give a shit if they had no press i think. The F1 cars and team sell their cars enough.

giri

Agyar said:

They'd just use the F1 as their media platform.

jambo

Plus there'd be one major magazine still covering and they would get more sales and then all the other ones would buckle.

legend166

TPG support suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

Series of events:

Saturday night - we have a blackout, something happens to the internet. Can't connect. At first I'm thinking it's the modem/router.

Sunday arvo - I ring TPG support, we go through the usual crap (isolation testing, etc). Person says they will escalate to level 2, and they'll ring me on Monday night. In the meantime they suggest either trying a different modem at our house or using our modem at another house to see if the ADSL light will come on.

Monday - After work I take the modem to a different house. To my surprise the ADSL light comes on, so the modem isn't faulty (although I suspect the router part is broken, cause I can't connect it to my PC).

Monday night - TPG don't call me. I call TPG, tell them the ADSL light came on at a different house. They log it as a fault and tell me they'll call in the next 24-48 hours to organise an engineer to check it out.

Thursday morning - I ring them up to find out what's going on. They say an engineer will be able to look at it between 10-11am today. That time comes, nothing happens. They ring me at midday to ask if I'm at home, I say no but someone will be. They call home, talk to my mum. Mum asks where the engineer is. They say there was no record of that being scheduled, basically deny my existence, get my mum to go through all the same damn basic tests we went through on Sunday afternoon. Say they might be able to get an engineer to look at it on Saturday. Mum gets angry and has a go at them. They say they'll ring back later this afternoon.

Now, I'm going to go and buy a new modem/router after work and hope that it just fixes the problem. Either way I want a new one. If not I can then at least say 100% it's a fault with the line and yell and them and tell them to come and fix it.

So, the reputation of TPG support being atrocious is correct.

Where do you reckon I could find a Billion 7800N for sale that I could buy tonight? Harris Technology at North Ryde have it but they're selling it for $250, so stuff that.

legend166

evlcookie said:
That's TPG!

What modem are you going to pick up?

Side note, Bulletstorm is $46 from ozgame.

I edited, definitely thinking of getting the Billion 7800N. You've got one, right? What's the wireless coverage like?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
legend166 said:
I edited, definitely thinking of getting the Billion 7800N. You've got one, right? What's the wireless coverage like?

7800Ns are hard to find, always sold out! I guess the wireless coverage is fine? I'm not too sure, we have like 8 things connected to it via wifi in the house and there doesn't seem to be any issues.

I've never tested the distance on it, never had a reason to. Maybe x3n05 can answer that one.

rass

indesign CS5 is a laggy piece of memory hogging shit. We just upgraded and I am hating it. With ALL the fancy shit turns off it is about 50% as efficient as CS4.

AAAAGGGHHHHH

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Jintor said:
By the way, do you get pre-release press copies or things, or you entirely without devilsupport?

We get supported yup, wasn't always the case. Gotta earn it.

hamchan said:
Saving $20 per game is worth waiting 2 weeks after release, for me anyways.

I'm the exact opposite :p

Omi said:
The Dead Island trailer is pretty fucking cool and kinda sad.

Now just show me some god damn gameplay.

I thought it was a fantastic tralier, so much so that now i feel like watching more of what happened. I just can't see how that trailer will be reflected in the gameplay at all.

Kritz

Banned
Met some new people, got lost a bunch, ate a hotdog and talked about the death of guitar hero.

Decent first day of uni, I suppose.

(total female count in the bcomp: 0)

hamchan

Kritz said:
Met some new people, got lost a bunch, ate a hotdog and talked about the death of guitar hero.

lol females in computing.

giri said:
But don't Oracle own MySQL now?
Yes, yes they do. And as Oracle usually does, they've totally pissed off the community. Have a look at MariaDB if you want truly a OSS again. It's basically a fork of MySQL before the Oracle douches took over.

See also: LibreOffice vs. OpenOffice.

legend166

Kritz said:

I had to take an elective in economics to find any non-Asian women at my university.

jambo

Back when I did a year of Uni at Flinders in 07, there were a number of girls in our subjects. Luckily my mates knew most of them so after about 3 weeks so did I.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kritz said:
There's a gay guy or two. I could lower their standards, maybe?
more like raise your standards. how many gay people come out as straight later in their life?

exactly.

Kritz said:

In most of my classes in nursing there were usually only 2 or 3 guys in a class of 20-30.

Kritz

Banned
I've already met my fair share of uni stundent tropes, too. The guy that yells out with "funny" comments, the 30 year old dude telling you random stories, the language barrier kid, the know it all (spoilers: this is me)... One guy wants to invent google, one guy wants to get into virtual reality (in tasmania?!), one guy sets the standard for social obliviousness (not me).

Also, over half the class is asain (not racist I swear!)

Oh, and my DoE badge doesn't get me into the staff room.

hamchan

Kritz said:
I've already met my fair share of uni stundent tropes, too. The guy that yells out with "funny" comments, the 30 year old dude telling you random stories, the language barrier kid, the know it all (spoilers: this is me)... One guy wants to invent google, one guy wants to get into virtual reality (in tasmania?!), one guy sets the standard for social obliviousness (not me).

Also, over half the class is asain (not racist I swear!)

Oh, and my DoE badge doesn't get me into the staff room.

You need to do some non-engineering electives to meet women. 60% of people are female in my Japanese class.

Choc

Banned
hamchan said:
You need to do some non-engineering electives to meet women. 60% of people are female in my Japanese class.

go to the communications lectures, 99% women, in Sydney at least, generally hot

when i was @ uni anyway

Kritz

Banned
hamchan said:

I was actually thinking about doing that. Not for the girls (okay not only for the girls), but because I did it in high school and was pretty good at it.

Also, Rez, I'm doing a B in Computing with a minor in Game Design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom