• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeku

hamchan said:
You need to do some non-engineering electives to meet women. 60% of people are female in my Japanese class.
Are the people in your Japanese classes all crazy japanophiles? Because there were a good 10-20 chicks in my lectures that you could tell were a bit strange eg wearing cat ears.

Gazunta

commanderdeek said:
Are the people in your Japanese classes all crazy japanophiles? Because there were a good 10-20 chicks in my lectures that you could tell were a bit strange eg wearing cat ears.
315lwz8-2.jpg

Am I doing it right

So the Funny Webcomic thread seems to have died off without people calling for my head too much. I should be relieved.

(reloads) OH GOD THEY HATE ME

Kritz

Banned
I don't want to be that guy, but if you committed genocide over an entire race and a half of people and then urinated on the statue of tall man (ironically the statue was shortened due to regulation SC2033 in 200X) you would probably not be as bad as a person you are now for simply existing.

Mar

Kritz said:
Also, Rez, I'm doing a B in Computing with a minor in Game Design.

Ahh, the game industry. A pinnacle of employment security.

You couldn't pay me enough money in the world to work in game development.

I have no problems with an MMO FPS. Sounds like a great idea to me. But really only if free to play... which Activision would never put out.

If they're going to charge monthly fees for it, it'd better fucking kill.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mar said:
Ahh, the game industry. A pinnacle of employment security.

You couldn't pay me enough money in the world to work in game development.
on the other hand, doing what you love doing, climbing ladders over many years, eventually being a lead. dreamy proposition.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Only to be crushed by those above you when your game doesn't sell 4 million copies, destined to be that guy with shitty sales but a lovely review rep.

While game development was my dream since I was 10, I realised the industry seems to be a giant clusterfuck and would only cause me to despise my favourite hobby. I would rather sit from afar and enjoy playing what it produces instead with part of my head planted in the sand.

I think if I were interested, talented and driven enough to do development ala Jonathan Blow and the Team Meat guys, I would find game development to be a dream job.

But given I'm a lot less creative and talented, I would end up being a code monkey designing save/load screens and hate every second of it.

Gazunta said:
I will never, ever forgive OpenOffice for what they did to me. Ever.
I still want to hear about this!

giri said:
These days i alternate between Maxthon and Chrome.
Just Chrome for me, unless I'm checking compatibility in Firefox and cursing IE for the same. Wish it had better integration with my Android account though... And wish it were easy to do out-of-Google backups of all this stuff (it probably is, and I should probably investigate it further).

Gazunta

Oh yeah the OpenOffice thing.

So we had to present...I think it was the Pinata GDD? Something incredibly big and chunky and almost a gigabyte in size...to the powers that be overseas. So I had been working on the document at work in MS Word, and copied it to my work laptop for the trip. I was all prepared to be able to open the document while in meetings and make changes to it during the meeting.

One problem I discovered upon arrival in America: the laptop didn't have MS Word on it. It did, however, have OpenOffice. No problem, right?

Well, except that OpenOffice ISN'T compatible with MS Word. If anyone tries to tell you otherwise you have my full permission to punch them square in the tongue. Not only did it completely garble the document, but it automatically saved itself on top of the original on my hard drive, TEN MINUTES BEFORE I WAS ASKED TO PRINT OUT THE DOCUMENT AND GO INTO THE MEETING.

FUCK YOU OPENOFFICE FUCK YOU FUCK YOU I LOOKED LIKE A CHUMP.

The irony of the fact that I was in a Microsoft meeting and needing a copy of MS Word was not lost on me.

That is certainly the definition of irony and bad luck. I've never really bothered with OpenOffice either, actually, and Google Docs is all I need.

But now Oracle owns it, I'd never ever ever touch it. Ever. I wish Oracle a short, painful death.

Can you tell I don't like Oracle?

Quasar

Well Borders/Angus & Robertson Has been placed into voluntary administration.

Rather concerning I must admit. Though not actually unexpected.

Given the limited scope the independents and department stores offer I am rather concerned. I'd hate to be forced to buy the next Winton book in american because of a lack of local options.

Kind of interesting timing given the inquiry into online sales started this week.

Salazar

Quasar said:

A couple of Dymocks stores around me are closing too. They won't be greatly missed for themselves, but I never like to see a bookstore close.

Has Bungie denied that they have let go staff or that they did so at Activision's request ? The phrasing allows for both.

Salazar

BanShunsaku said:
Shit, now I feel bad for buying all that stuff from book depository

Hell no. Book Depository is a blessing. They've even had some of the weird scholarly stuff I've needed over the past year or so.

I'll miss the Borders in Brisbane CBD when it goes. Big, conveniently-placed, air-conditioned, quiet, and filled with books. Archives is musty as fuck.

Bernbaum

My favourite bookstore was a Dymocks in Brisbane's Macarthur Center in the CBD. Nice big old grand place with shitloads of everything, balanced between a classic old building with a modern interior layout.

Was gutted when it got turned into a no-name mass clearance book store, complete with gaudy orange banners strewn haphazardly across the place. You know those discount bins in front of newsagencies? The whole shop is now one big shitty discount bin.

Sure, the Dymocks moved around the corner to a position much closer to the Queen St mall, and the range is probably just as comprehensive (they're diagonally across a Borders which is pretty good), but the old place had such a great charm.

That said, Brisbane's two libraries - the State Library on Southbank and the Council library in the council tower are both wonderful places. I visit both often with my own reading material in tow just because they're such nice places to relax for a read.

Jintor

My haunt of choice is Kinokuniya in the city so I'm not too guttered, but I'll be sad if any of those big comfortable Borders stores disappear.

Hello AusGaf, I've just relocated to Melbourne from the UK and am looking to build a new PC. What would be the best sites to check for parts?

(I did check the OP but couldn't see any. Forgive the gaucheness of this post, but I'm still in a state of nervous shock after paying EIGHTEEN DOLLARS for two pots of lager earlier this aft)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
BaptistBlacktick said:
Hello AusGaf, I've just relocated to Melbourne from the UK and am looking to build a new PC. What would be the best sites to check for parts?

(I did check the OP but couldn't see any. Forgive the gaucheness of this post, but I'm still in a state of nervous shock after paying EIGHTEEN DOLLARS for two pots of lager earlier this aft)

Welcome to our fair country :)

yeah you need to find cheaper places for beer :O

Jintor said:
My haunt of choice is Kinokuniya in the city so I'm not too guttered, but I'll be sad if any of those big comfortable Borders stores disappear.

Me too. Borders is way too overpriced and Kino has a much larger library of books that cater to my tastes.

Jintor

Honestly Kino is just as overpriced on everything but the manga, but I really like browsing bookstores. Being online is great if you know what you want, but sometimes I don't and just want to wander the shelves.

hamchan

commanderdeek said:

People seemed normal. I kinda want to see these cat girls though.

evlcookie said:
http://staticice.com.au/ is a decent search site for parts if you know what you are looking for.

Most people in melb would honestly shop at http://pccasegear.com/ anyway
I use Scorptec (scorptec.com.au) because I have been for years, they're close, they give me discounts if I ask (I've spent a bit with them for the office) and it's easy to return stuff. They can be expensive, though.

MSY (msy.com.au) is cheap, but selection and service usually poor.

I've lived in Melbourne all my life and never used pccasegear.com.

Edit: MSY, dammit... Not MSI.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I've used scorp as well but as you mention, it was always slightly more expensive. Heck i even went for a job interview there years ago lol. MSY is MSY, service is pure shit but it's the cheapest around.

There's a bunch of other online stores that you can buy from but pcg is probably the most suggested with scorp and msy right behind it. There's umart as well and auspcmarket but i haven't checked in ages what their prices are like.

Aon

MSY always seems like the best idea while you assume that statistically nothing will go wrong with your parts. And then it statistically doesn't. But there's one guy who will have everything fail.

I am lucky I aint been that guy yet.

hirokazu

ClivePwned said:
this just came from Amazon UK

"We now offer FREE Super Saver Delivery to Australia and New Zealand when you spend £25 or more on Books, DVD and Music."

now, I spend a lot with them. And it looks as though I will continue to do so...
No games? :(

I love the ideas of bookstores. I particularly love the idea of large bookstores like Borders, Dymocks (the one in Sydney) and Kinokuniya (which hasn't made its way north)

But I haven't bought too many books from any of them unless I needed them there and then. My wife and I have been buying much more from the various amazons. And now she has a Kindle for books and zinio on the iPad, Borders in brisbane are fucked.

also- being in administration doesn't mean they will close completely. Its weird how Australia can rarely sustain more than one large chain of anything.

Kritz

Banned
BaptistBlacktick said:

Step 1: https://www.pccasegear.com/
Step 1b: do not accept advice from myself or mega on how to put together computers.
Step 2: http://store.steampowered.com/ -> download steam
Step 3: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AusGAF
Step 4: Friends -> Scroll all the way down -> Join chat
Step 5: Internet memes go here (note: internet memes do not go in the chat room that was a joke because steps and question marks and all that)

Whoops... MSY not MSI. I'd blame the phone since I was typing on that, but it was the brain's autocorrect this time.

I love second-hand books and bookstores, but I hate buying anything else second-hand. Go figure.

Bernbaum

Yeah it's weird how I'm willing to accept the Bungie rumours with a more modest than usual serving of salt than that which I usually sprinkle on Kotaku articles, through sheer virtue of the favour that Serrels has curried up in this thread and my familiarity with his work at ONM and elsewhere.

If the story carried a moniker like Crecente, Plunkett, Fahey, Good or if Bashcraft managed to actually learn enough english to post a coherent article, then I would have written it off without a second thought.

I mean, I don't really give a shit what what Bungievision are up to, but if the story holds merit, then it does paint an interesting picture about what many expect would be an almost bulletproof partnership between two of the industry's most reputable organisations.

I'm willing to give you benefit of the doubt.

MrSerrels said:
I think the Bungie statement is very clever in what it says and how it says it.
I do love the way they make it sound like what you've reported is totally false, even though they don't actually say that when you read it with a more critical eye.

Without wanting anyone to get in trouble, is there more that you haven't reported?

giri

Quasar said:

Rather concerning I must admit. Though not actually unexpected.

Given the limited scope the independents and department stores offer I am rather concerned. I'd hate to be forced to buy the next Winton book in american because of a lack of local options.

Kind of interesting timing given the inquiry into online sales started this week.
In australia, we brought it on ourselves. Not opening the market up to the cheap foreing printing houses kept prices artificially high. So people just went elsewhere, online, or whereever.

Bernbaum said:
My favourite bookstore was a Dymocks in Brisbane's Macarthur Center in the CBD. Nice big old grand place with shitloads of everything, balanced between a classic old building with a modern interior layout.

Was gutted when it got turned into a no-name mass clearance book store, complete with gaudy orange banners strewn haphazardly across the place. You know those discount bins in front of newsagencies? The whole shop is now one big shitty discount bin.

Sure, the Dymocks moved around the corner to a position much closer to the Queen St mall, and the range is probably just as comprehensive (they're diagonally across a Borders which is pretty good), but the old place had such a great charm.

That said, Brisbane's two libraries - the State Library on Southbank and the Council library in the council tower are both wonderful places. I visit both often with my own reading material in tow just because they're such nice places to relax for a read.

I like that dymocks, but i hate that they have no instore search terminals, you HAVE to ask one of the staff. Just annoying.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Is there a reason you haven't jumped into the bungie thread Serrels?

I've setup twitters, well a profile pic and i've now started following whoever the hell added me. Joyus!
Oh i think i set my tweets to private, Don't need my old man finding me! D:

hamchan

evlcookie said:
Is there a reason you haven't jumped into the bungie thread Serrels?

I've setup twitters, well a profile pic and i've now started following whoever the hell added me. Joyus!
Oh i think i set my tweets to private, Don't need my old man finding me! D:

That's like walking into an asylum full of insane people with guns.

guidop

BaptistBlacktick said:

Welcome

Just a little tip. Don't support scum ie. Whatever you do don't barrack for the Collingwood football team.

I second PC Case Gear. Cheap enough, really good customer service and pretty cheap delivery. Bought a comp from them recently only cost $14 for a case along with pretty much everything else. Also MSY is good, almost always has the cheapest price. I'd recommend getting your case and a few other things from pccasegear then getting anything that has a significant saving from MSY. check their PDF price list for MSY prices undated every 12 hours or so.

MrSerrels

hamchan said:
That's like walking into an asylum full of insane people with guns.

Yeah, pretty much.

There is no doubt in my mind that the source is legit. Whether or not he is a disgruntled guy who was totally fairly dismissed and started exaggerating, that might be the case - which is why I've written the story the way I wrote it - but there is still truth in this as far as I can see.

If I'm wrong, I'll be the first person to throw my hands up and apologise to all involved. This was not click bait, and it wasn't invented. It was considered, I took my time, I spoke to the right people before running the story. I've always done that with every single thing I write, because my reputation is important to me.

I know that sounds pompous, but yeah.

Gazunta

In this thread, we discover a species long thought extinct - an actual games journalist working at Kotaku - is still in the wild!

Mar

MrSerrels said:
I didn't pluck this story from nowhere - if you've read my work and what I do I hope you know that I'm not that kind of writer.

Like Bern said, the only reason I gave the story any credence was because it had your name attached. I know you have integrity.

Be interesting to see how this all pans out. Contractors are killed off all the time where I work. If Bungie got rid of a few it doesn't surprise me in the least. That's what contractors are for right?

Omikron

BaptistBlacktick said:

Welcome to little ol' Melbourne, please excuse our expensive 'bar' culture and find a decent pub. :D

Bernbaum

giri said:
I like that dymocks, but i hate that they have no instore search terminals, you HAVE to ask one of the staff. Just annoying.
Yeah but unlike non-sentient terminals, some of those staff have bosoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom