• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Gazunta said:
(reloads) OH GOD THEY HATE ME
haters_gonna_hate.gif

Heh.

Compare prices on, say, The Complete Calvin and Hobbes at Booko.

Amazon UK - $78.33.
Borders - $266.95.
Angus & Robertson - $320.95.

All prices include shipping - in that A&R are the only ones who charge shipping, at $6.

hamchan

I bought 15 months of PSN+ for my US account. However since my AU account is my main one no one can see the + next to my name and you can't share premium avatars between accounts too. Booooo

Ydahs

Linear algebra exam today! After failing an exam last year you'd think I'd have learned my lesson, but once again I leave all my study to the last few days :(

Wish me luck GAF

giri

Bernbaum said:
Yeah but unlike non-sentient terminals, some of those staff have bosoms.
The times i've been there, they've either been fat chicks or old chicks. I'm not scopin out DAT cleavage.

**waits to hear berns woman works there**

The staff were helpful enough, but they had a queue for several people wanting to buy stuff, so i had to queue behind people trying to buy stuff, and clog that up for the people behind me, wanting to buy stuff. If they had've just had a terminal... yeah.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The ENB stuff kills performance, Although that guy is meant to be on a quad core with a 570gtx and it seems to be running well.

It looks out of this world, Never thought GTA could look so good.

Not sure on the version. It sounds like he took a bunch of little mods and got it the way he personally liked.

Choc

Banned
AFL fans are 'racist' against other sports

but as collingwood supporters show, you have to be a special type of wanker to like most of those teams.

To be fair, i have been at Victory games vs Sydney where stupid victory fans decided fighting and tearing chairs etc is good

Omikron

giri said:
AFL ? Who cares, the Super season kicks off tonight, WOO!

I care that the sport I love over any other continually gets knocked about because of certain agendas and with little basis. Why is this front page herald sun news? And yet you see
100 people removed from boxing day test' etc get relegated to a sideline article buried deep in the paper?

Even looking at the detail of what the guy says, he mention purely that 'fans show violent tendancies', not even that they are violent! By and large a product of being treated like dogs by the police at games. Its fucking frustrating.

legend166

Soccer violence in Australia doesn't really seem like an issue. There might be a little bit left over from the old NSL days where clubs seemed to be ethnically divided, which was one of the reasons it failed. I'd be more worried at a Canterbury Bulldogs game.

giri

Omi said:
I care that the sport I love over any other continually gets knocked about because of certain agendas and with little basis. Why is this front page herald sun news? And yet you see
100 people removed from boxing day test' etc get relegated to a sideline article buried deep in the paper?

Even looking at the detail of what the guy says, he mention purely that 'fans show violent tendancies', not even that they are violent! By and large a product of being treated like dogs by the police at games. Its fucking frustrating.
100 people over 5 days with crowds of 70,000 each day doesn't sound too bad really.

I've no idea why it's front page news, but i'm not sure why soccer is ever front page news in Aus :)

As legend says, i'd feel much more worried going to a tigers, bulldogs, sharks, dragons, knights game in the NRL than any soccer game in AU.

Omikron

giri said:
100 people over 5 days with crowds of 70,000 each day doesn't sound too bad really.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/ejected-from-boxing-day-test/story-e6frfku0-1225813815984

POLICE kicked 91 people out of the Boxing Day Test at the MCG today, with 13 of them arrested for drunkenness.

Police also issued 28 penalty notices for drunk and anti-social behaviour, such as offensive language.

A police spokeswoman said the known troublespots between bays 11 to 14 were the main target for police but she described the behaviour of the crowd, close to 60,000, as "pretty good".

It is interesting to see

1) The attitude of the police to so many been kicked out.
2) The reporting.

Happens every year and you get 0 reporting on people getting kicked out of AFL/NRL games for the most part.

giri

Omi said:
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/ejected-from-boxing-day-test/story-e6frfku0-1225813815984

It is interesting to see

1) The attitude of the police to so many been kicked out.
2) The reporting.

Happens every year and you get 0 reporting on people getting kicked out of AFL/NRL games for the most part.

0_o

Are you kidding me? Maybe it's because in general (it sounds like) you don't read the rugby/nrl/afl sections much, but they do get narky about crowds. A few clubs have put in cameras that are fixed on all of hte crowd at all times, so they can perma ban members of the public from attending their games.

A lot of its in traditional trouble hot spots admittedly, i know the bulldogs and sharks have perma banned like 100 people at a time for brawls and starting shit in the stands.

rass

Ydahs said:
Linear algebra exam today! After failing an exam last year you'd think I'd have learned my lesson, but once again I leave all my study to the last few days :(

Wish me luck GAF
good luck man, it's been 7 years since I've done an exam thankfully, never studied more than 2 days early (and never did very well haha)

Threadless has a $10 sale on some stuff, just ordered 2 tshirts I didn't need. Stupid sales.

Omikron

giri said:
0_o

Are you kidding me? Maybe it's because in general (it sounds like) you don't read the rugby/nrl/afl sections much, but they do get narky about crowds. A few clubs have put in cameras that are fixed on all of hte crowd at all times, so they can perma ban members of the public from attending their games.

A lot of its in traditional trouble hot spots admittedly, i know the bulldogs and sharks have perma banned like 100 people at a time for brawls and starting shit in the stands.

Ok fair call, I tend not to read NRL news due to lack of interest / living south of the NSW/Vic border, hah!

But the over saturation that the AFL gets here and the seemingly huge control they have on the local media outlets really winds me up. Sure they report the worst stuff, but mostly things go by the wayside.

I don't think I have been 'scared' at any sporting event I have attended, but I have seen far more 'crowd incidents' at AFL games than anything at Football or Cricket tbh. I would be very, very interested to see numbers/statistics for all codes as to the number of people kicked out and/or detained.

Wonder if we can dig that up as opposed to using anecdotal evidence all the damn time.

giri

Omi said:
Ok fair call, I tend not to read NRL news due to lack of interest / living south of the NSW/Vic border, hah!

But the over saturation that the AFL gets here and the seemingly huge control they have on the local media outlets really winds me up. Sure they report the worst stuff, but mostly things go by the wayside.

I don't think I have been 'scared' at any sporting event I have attended, but I have seen far more 'crowd incidents' at AFL games than anything at Football or Cricket tbh. I would be very, very interested to see numbers/statistics for all codes as to the number of people kicked out and/or detained.

Wonder if we can dig that up as opposed to using anecdotal evidence all the damn time.
Pfft, you're not allowed to use real facts in an internet fight.

No, i agree, i've never felt afraid or threatened, but i'm the sort that would just leave a potential danger when i see it building than hang around and wait for the implosion.

And, Victorians and AFL are weird :p

Kritz

Banned
Ydahs said:

Wish me luck GAF
If it helps, Lin algebra is the easiest of all the modeling algebras, and i found it easier than basic algebra itself since you should by that point know how it works.

Unless you're doing some crazy advanced algebra or something.

Choc

Banned
omi you and I both know why it is

Soccer scares the fucking shit out of the administration of the AFL and NRL. the world cup shenanigans they pulled confirmed it

the number 1 amatuer sport by FAR and the number 1 kids sport by FAR. That is a recipe if it ever sorts itself out properly to being a very very big thing in Australia. If everyone is playing it and getting their kids to play it, then obviously there is a love for the sport.

I mean the fact is it probably won't happen, but you can guarantee the NRL and AFL are aware of this.

Shaneus

rass said:
Threadless has a $10 sale on some stuff, just ordered 2 tshirts I didn't need. Stupid sales.
Cheers for the heads-up... the Late Night Barbarian (aka Conan) tee is only a tenner. Bought that one and the Statue of Liberty x-ray one.

First buy from Threadless in yonks*.

Fake edit: *Almost exactly a year to the day.

legend166

Choc said:

Soccer scares the fucking shit out of the administration of the AFL and NRL. the world cup shenanigans they pulled confirmed it

the number 1 amatuer sport by FAR and the number 1 kids sport by FAR. That is a recipe if it ever sorts itself out properly to being a very very big thing in Australia. If everyone is playing it and getting their kids to play it, then obviously there is a love for the sport.

I mean the fact is it probably won't happen, but you can guarantee the NRL and AFL are aware of this.

lol, come on choc. We've had this discussion before. I wish we had an eye roll emoticon.

Soccer participation has always been higher than Aussie Rules/League. It's the same in the States, where people care about the game even less than they do in Australia. Soccer is an easier game to play socially. Basketball has a big participation rate too, but it does nothing for the NBL.

Choc

Banned
lol

a current affair, cereal box journalism @ its best.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/nines-current-affair-to-forget-20110217-1ay72.html

Early in the day, a promo appeared on the ninemsn website for last night's edition of A Current Affair. In a box headed ''reality TV'', a pointer read: "Housing commission uncensored. The new reality TV show targeting Australia's poorest residents - and it's government funded."

The show in question was Housos, and it is scheduled to appear on SBS some time in the second half of the year. But it's not a reality show, it's a comedy, from the creator and star of Pizza, Paul Fenech. One look at the trailer for the show on YouTube is enough to make that abundantly clear.

But as researchers from ACA and Seven's Today Tonight frantically sought outraged comment from social workers and residents in Sydney's western suburbs, SBS realised something was up. Around lunchtime, the broadcaster issued a release stating the bleedin' obvious.

'SBS is aware of media interest relating to a program currently in production … Housos is not a reality series and everyone participating in the series is an actor. Audiences have always understood Paul's work to be highly exaggerated parody.''

''We're big fans of Paul Fenech, and we love a housing commission story, so it goes hand in hand,'' explained ACA executive producer Grant Williams.

The online ''reality TV'' tag was, he added, ''basically a f--- up by a girl working at ninemsn''. No one on his program ever mistook Housos for a reality show.

thats right blame a girl you fuckhead. It goes through approvals process before being shown. You're just not big enough to man up you're a fucking shit journalist who doesn't do research.

LOOOOL

fucking morons.

giri

legend166 said:
lol, come on choc. We've had this discussion before. I wish we had an eye roll emoticon.

Soccer participation has always been higher than Aussie Rules/League. It's the same in the States, where people care about the game even less than they do in Australia. Soccer is an easier game to play socially. Basketball has a big participation rate too, but it does nothing for the NBL.
NBL owners ruined the NBL as much as anything. Not that FIBA ball is exactly exciting anyway.

Choc said:

The A-league is floundering whilst the AFL and NRL are growing. Not only that but it isn't even played at the same time as the AFL and NRL. I doubt either are worried about football at all (its pretty damn obvious that they consider each other to be their main threat).

legend166 said:
Soccer violence in Australia doesn't really seem like an issue. There might be a little bit left over from the old NSL days where clubs seemed to be ethnically divided, which was one of the reasons it failed. I'd be more worried at a Canterbury Bulldogs game.

You would be. I've been to lots of dogs games and never seen a single problem.

Omikron

legend166 said:

The thing that football has over AFL/NRL is a quality international competition called the world cup... if anything Australia loves its their national teams. I can guarantee the AFL/NRL would have been shitting their pants leading up to the 2022 decision.

Choc

Banned
AdventureRacing said:
The A-league is floundering whilst the AFL and NRL are growing. Not only that but it isn't even played at the same time as the AFL and NRL. I doubt either are worried about football at all (its pretty damn obvious that they consider each other to be their main threat).

yes but as mentioned with teh nbl

shit administration kills anything

giri

Omi said:
The thing that football has over AFL/NRL is a quality international competition called the world cup... if anything Australia loves its their national teams. I can guarantee the AFL/NRL would have been shitting their pants leading up to the 2022 decision.
Union will eventually kill off the NRL anyway, so i wouldn't worry about it if i'm soccer australia.

Choc

Banned
giri said:
Union will eventually kill off the NRL anyway, so i wouldn't worry about it if i'm soccer australia.

I would have agreed 10 years ago in the wallabies hey day, but not now, no

giri

pilonv1 said:
lol good one
One has 3 franchises in financial trouble (that could see them fold mid season), the other is expanding.

/me shrug

Truth is, NRL's days are numbered. It might be a 20 year thing, but they are. No international competition means it's still an east coast australia centric sport.

Danoss

giri said:
Haha, cause club Rugby is so compelling.

Rugby doing better on the international stage than League? That's a given, but for weekly local games, it's not even close.

Choc

Banned
giri said:
One has 3 franchises in financial trouble (that could see them fold mid season), the other is expanding.

/me shrug

Truth is, NRL's days are numbered. It might be a 20 year thing, but they are. No international competition means it's still an east coast australia centric sport.

but the AFL has no international competition and it seems to be doing ok

https://music.qriocity.com/ - sonys itunes killer apparently. 12 bucks a month for unlimited music

giri

Choc said:
but the AFL has no international competition and it seems to be doing ok

The AFL is a completely different game, and, is truely an australia wide sport. It's not stuck on one coast.

Danoss said:
Haha, cause club Rugby is so compelling.

Rugby doing better on the international stage than League? That's a given, but for weekly local games, it's not even close.
Really, is that why they can't sustain all the clubs in sydney? cause the local crowds are so strong? i must've mis heard all the reports that season ticket sales are down, for the 3rd year in a row for league.

St George, last years premiers, struggled to break even. Manly, who were title contenders for years, have barely enough funds to see through the season and are looking for a new owner, but so far, the minority owners don't want to increase their share, and they haven't been able to find a new investor. The sharks are... living off a cash grant from the NRL, and new castle, well, they're in serious trouble. Add into that, that the players are seeking more salary?

Maybe rugby won't "Kill" the NRL, but it will dwarf it. It's really just a matter of time.

Omikron

Shaneus said:
Cheers for the heads-up... the Late Night Barbarian (aka Conan) tee is only a tenner. Bought that one and the Statue of Liberty x-ray one.

First buy from Threadless in yonks*.

Fake edit: *Almost exactly a year to the day.

Speaking of threadless, my mum was just saying baby clothes she ordered from threadless have arrived for us haha. :D

Parents really are great sometimes.

giri said:
The AFL is a completely different game, and, is truely an australia wide sport. It's not stuck on one coast.

The NRL also has a team in NZ and will most likely soon have a team in Perth. Once the NRL has a team in Perth it will cover as much of the population as any other code in Australia (it has a team in NQLD, Newcastle and Canberra to make up for not having a team in Adelaide).

giri said:
Really, is that why they can't sustain all the clubs in sydney? cause the local crowds are so strong?

Well no clubs are going under, so im not sure what you're talking about.

giri said:
i must've mis heard all the reports that season ticket sales are down, for the 3rd year in a row for league.

Could you be any more uninformed? Season ticket sales are up by a massive amount and have been for the last 3 years. Last year the NRL broke it's own attendance record and will beat that handily again this year.

Does it compare to the AFL? Of course not but that doesn't mean it isn't improving.

giri said:
St George, last years premiers, struggled to break even. Manly, who were title contenders for years, have barely enough funds to see through the season and are looking for a new owner, but so far, the minority owners don't want to increase their share, and they haven't been able to find a new investor. The sharks are... living off a cash grant from the NRL, and new castle, well, they're in serious trouble. Add into that, that the players are seeking more salary?

I'm not even going to touch this. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

giri said:
Maybe rugby won't "Kill" the NRL, but it will dwarf it. It's really just a matter of time.

LOL talking about falling crowds, hows the union comp doing in this country? You can't even get shown on FTA because no one gives a shit about it.

Even wallabies games rate like utter shit and are lucky to still be shown on FTA (The kangaroos easily outrate them despite having no international competition).

giri said:

Seriously? RL is growing i don't see why anyone thinks its about to die. RL may not have a huge international presence but it's pretty strong in NZ, has a pro comp in the UK and has a smaller presence in wales and france. RL also has a growing presence in Lebanon. It's also the number on sport in PNG and has a pretty strong interest amongst island nations.

It's nowhere near as strong as union (WW in Australia its no contest) but it's growing and im not sure why you think its about to die.

Danoss

giri said:
Really, is that why they can't sustain all the clubs in sydney? cause the local crowds are so strong? i must've mis heard all the reports that season ticket sales are down, for the 3rd year in a row for league.
How's this compare to all these amazing Rugby Union clubs? How big are their crowds?

AFL is an increasingly stronger competitor to League, I will agree. Rugby at a club level, I think not.

EDIT: Well said AdventureRacing, you did what I was far too lazy to do.

giri

AdventureRacing said:
The NRL also has a team in NZ and will most likely soon have a team in Perth. Once the NRL has a team in Perth it will cover as much of the population as any other code in Australia (it has a team in NQLD, Newcastle and Canberra to make up for not having a team in Adelaide).

Well no clubs are going under, so im not sure what you're talking about.

Could you be any more uninformed? Season ticket sales are up by a massive amount and have been for the last 3 years. Last year the NRL broke it's own attendance record and will beat that handily again this year.

Does it compare to the AFL? Of course not but that doesn't mean it isn't improving.

I'm not even going to touch this. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

LOL talking about falling crowds, hows the union comp doing in this country? You can't even get shown on FTA because no one gives a shit about it.

Even wallabies games rate like utter shit and are lucky to still be shown on FTA (The kangaroos easily outrate them despite having no international competition).

Seriously? RL is growing i don't see why anyone thinks its about to die. RL may not have a huge international presence but it's pretty strong in NZ, has a pro comp in the UK and has a smaller presence in wales and france. RL also has a growing presence in Lebanon. It's also the number on sport in PNG and has a pretty strong interest amongst island nations.

It's nowhere near as strong as union (WW in Australia its no contest) but it's growing and im not sure why you think its about to die.
Teehee, your post just skips over all the realities of it, lalalala.

Wallaby games rate really well actually, and get close to sell out crowds most games. Which compared to kangaroo's games that can't get 20,000....

The FTA thing is baffling actually, and annoying, but i believe it has as much to do with the way the whole SANZAR tv rights were worked, as with the ARU's part.

It's UK comp compares to soccer in aus, NZ is a Union first second and third country, and Lebanon & PNG? oh lord, you're stretching.

Overall crowd attendance was up in the australian super comp games player here (down in sydney). Add in Argentina (who do have a large professional player base [they play for french clubs mainly]) to the four nations next year, and it's started.

Rugbys biggest problem is the tradionalist morons in england and france who refuse to encourage the game in japan where japan keep begging to get a world cup to kickstart their domestic comp. It's moronic to ignore the money in japan. The sooner japan is brought into the super comp the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom