• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikron

With Rugby League, how much are the clubs still propped up with poker machine money out of interest?

And

Have they yet implemented a board that isn't run by News Limited?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
giri said:
Wallaby games rate really well actually, and get close to sell out crowds most games. Which compared to kangaroo's games that can't get 20,000....
Not really..
I can't find any example of Wallabies and Kangaroos playing at the same time. To give some idea what people would rather watch.

So this from September is the closest I can get:

6 Rugby League Final Series Qf2 Nine 737,000 471,000 23,000 224,000 5,000 13,000
19 Seven’s R.U: Bledisloe Cup Rugby: Aus V N Z Seven 316,000 152,000 25,000 122,000 9,000 8,000
Not sure who was playing in the League, 2 Sydney teams I think (or 1 Sydney and 1 Canberra) Not the highest drawing matchup.

Then in November (all 1 week apart, near identical timeslots):
19 Seven’s R.U: Bledisloe Cup Rugby: Aus V N Z Seven 378,000 177,000 23,000 164,000 1,000 12,000
14 Four Nations Rugby League 2010 Nine 472,000 246,000 40,000 171,000 9,000 7,000
(verse England)
11 Four Nations Rugby League 2010 Nine 642,000 338,000 17,000 277,000 3,000 6,000
(verse NZ)

Even on Fox the NRL massively out rates Super Rugby.

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
With Rugby League, how much are the clubs still propped up with poker machine money out of interest?

this is why NRL clubs in NSW are in debt/in trouble

the NSW government takes a TON of tax from pokies now

also if you ever have tried to get Bledisloe tickets, you know how hard it is

Danoss

Choc said:
Don't they make you buy tickets to another game before you're eligible for Bledisloe tickets? That shows REAL confidence in their own sport.

legend166

Choc said:

And so they should.

That whole furor about everyone whinging about the pokie tax was pretty disgusting.

That tax should apply to all gambling operations.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
And so they should.

That whole furor about everyone whinging about the pokie tax was pretty disgusting.

That tax should apply to all gambling operations.

O'Farrell is going to repeal the legislation

he is also your local member.

giri said:
Teehee, your post just skips over all the realities of it, lalalala.

As does yours. I'm not the one saying that union is dying out. If you want to make outrageous (and downright stupid) claims like that then you are the one who has to back them up.

giri said:
Wallaby games rate really well actually, and get close to sell out crowds most games. Which compared to kangaroo's games that can't get 20,000....

I'm sorry but if you think that then you've never actually seen the ratings. Most Wallabies tests have terrible ratings.

Plenty of kangaroos games get well above 20K.

giri said:
The FTA thing is baffling actually, and annoying, but i believe it has as much to do with the way the whole SANZAR tv rights were worked, as with the ARU's part.

No FTA station is going to pick up the rights to the super 15 because it rates poorly. Even on fox its ratings aren't very good.

After the next tv deals where AFL and NRL are both going to be getting more money it will be even more difficult.

giri said:
It's UK comp compares to soccer in aus, NZ is a Union first second and third country, and Lebanon & PNG? oh lord, you're stretching.

I know how big the comp is in the UK, i never said it was huge. NZ is a union country but league still does alright there.

Lebanon isn't that far away from having its own professional comp. I'm not sure whats wrong with mentioning PNG either.

giri said:
Overall crowd attendance was up in the australian super comp games player here (down in sydney).

Sydney crowds are up for the NRL as well. How did the rest of the rugby comp do?

How can you possibly suggest the NRL is dying because of crowds and then with a straight face say that union is taking over?

Choc said:

No NRL clubs are going to go bust. The only one with any real chance is the sharks.

No doubt the wallbies have a strong core following but it doesn't change the fact that their games rate like shit.

Omikron

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/socc...urne-victory-soccer-louts-20110218-1ayus.html

He said officers volunteered to police sporting events in Melbourne, shifts that were carried out in their time off but for which they were paid.

"I'm not saying police fear for their safety. I said that police were reluctant (to work) because .... the policing of these sporting events is done voluntarily," Superintendent Wilson told SEN.

"We ask people who want to volunteer for Saturdays and Sundays on their days off .... all they're saying 'we'll come and work at the football, we'll come and work at the tennis or the racing, we don't want to work at the soccer."

<snip>

"I make no apologies if we've put our riot police there or our public order management police at these events because, quite frankly, none of my police officers deserve to be punching bags when they've gone along on voluntary duties to police a sporting event for the betterment of the game."

lol. so the police are punching bags? why so few arrests then?

such a beat up.

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/socc...urne-victory-soccer-louts-20110218-1ayus.html

lol. so the police are punching bags? why so few arrests then?

such a beat up.

possibly the police dont like soccer so they dont want to give up their own time to do it....

maybe they like F1, AFL and Tennis...

also what the fuck kind of state has police VOLUNTEERING to do sporting events.

in NSW they get paid by the venue owner to be there. No wonder you have fucking issues.

ridiculous.

Omikron

Choc said:
possibly the police dont like soccer so they dont want to give up their own time to do it....

maybe they like F1, AFL and Tennis...

also what the fuck kind of state has police VOLUNTEERING to do sporting events.

in NSW they get paid by the venue owner to be there. No wonder you have fucking issues.

ridiculous.

Err, choc... they would be asking for people to volunteer to WORK the weekends. THey would most definitely get paid. lol.

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
Err, choc... they would be asking for people to volunteer to WORK the weekends. THey would most definitely get paid. lol.

i dunno man. read the sentences again. They imply its voluntary

"I make no apologies if we've put our riot police there or our public order management police at these events because, quite frankly, none of my police officers deserve to be punching bags when they've gone along on voluntary duties to police a sporting event for the betterment of the game."

may not be right but if you read it the way media is reporitng it...

so what he is saying is its ok for police to be punching bags in the middle of the week where you know they are forced to work.... but not when 'volunteering'

not exactly teh right fucking word is it

Like volunteering to work on a public holiday. Happens all the time.

Wonder if the Housos thing will make it to Media Watch (which is back for the year, by the way.)

jambo

We'll have to make do Omi

cUr0s.jpg

Choc

Banned
AnkhWeasel said:
Like volunteering to work on a public holiday. Happens all the time.

Wonder if the Housos thing will make it to Media Watch (which is back for the year, by the way.)

did you see ep 1 this year ankh

virgina trioli, smh

legend166

My opinion on Qriocity:

What's the point of it if it's not mobile? The majority of my music listening (probably 95% at this stage), is done through my phone when I'm at work, or on the train, or in the car. And even if it was portable, does anyone else feel that a streaming music set up just isn't viable in Australia? No one is going to stream music over their 3G connection.

They should have done something like this - $13 for unlimited streaming and one album download per month.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
My opinion on Qriocity:

What's the point of it if it's not mobile? The majority of my music listening (probably 95% at this stage), is done through my phone when I'm at work, or on the train, or in the car. And even if it was portable, does anyone else feel that a streaming music set up just isn't viable in Australia? No one is going to stream music over their 3G connection.

They should have done something like this - $13 for unlimited streaming and one album download per month.

its coming to android and ios soon

r1chard

Choc said:
Yeah.

But frankly I'm well over this shit:

US$10
AU$13
NZ$14

FOR THE SAME GODDAMN PRODUCT.

Edit: actually, I'm going to assume we don't even have access to the same catalog of music.

legend166

Choc said:

That doesn't negate what I said about streaming, though. It's pointless. You'll have to be in a Wi-Fi hotspot if you want reliable service that doesn't kill your data cap.

Maybe when Telstra launch 20GB caps on their 4G network it will be good. Until then, I really think Sony are wasting their time.

giri

user_nat said:
Not really..

Even on Fox the NRL massively out rates Super Rugby.
Yeah, really, what you're not including in those ch7 rankings is the fact that it airs on Fox at the same time... so it's only including half the audience.

I'm sorry but if you think that then you've never actually seen the ratings. Most Wallabies tests have terrible ratings. Plenty of kangaroos games get well above 20K.
Plenty of roo's games don't, particularly outside of brisbane. They had a 3 game test series againt england where they didn't crack 15k for one game.

And when i'm talking those figures, thats attendance.

Danoss said:
Don't they make you buy tickets to another game before you're eligible for Bledisloe tickets? That shows REAL confidence in their own sport.
nah, like most sports that have an international season, they offer season ticket holders to the domestic teams, first option on the international games.

So for first chance to get a bledisloe ticket, yeah, get your self a season ticket holders pass to your states club.

AdventureRacing said:
As does yours. I'm not the one saying that union is dying out. If you want to make outrageous (and downright stupid) claims like that then you are the one who has to back them up.

Actually, all those things about those clubs, are real.

No FTA station is going to pick up the rights to the super 15 because it rates poorly. Even on fox its ratings aren't very good.

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong and are just talking out your ass. Ch 9 and Fox sports don't "share contracts", keep that in mind during this. ARU and the NZRU were offered more for their packaged rights by fox sports, than either could get seperately, it works in NZ because over there, fox has some deal where they are shown on FTA. Fox in Aus doesn't. I think just about every wallaby game is shown on FTA. But, you think what you want.

No NRL clubs are going to go bust. The only one with any real chance is the sharks.

What i said about those clubs, was true. NCL were not allowed into their stadium last year for 8 weeks because they didn't pay their rates or electricity bill, iirc. (Thats foggy, not sure if it was over that, or sponsorship). You're welcome to look into the manly thing, but the majority owner got sick of putting in capital, and said he flat out refuses to do it anymore, and that the club has been running at a loss for years, and wants out. They couldn't find someone to buy his interest in the club.

As for crowds at all the super clubs not the waratahs, massively up. The waratahs are playing a horrible style of union that is extraordinarily boring, and they weren't winning whilst playing it. I couldn't blame no one for not wanting to go, it was god awful.

Kritz

Banned
Man. Just when I think I have everything figured out, I get a job offer from DOE.

I'm going to say no, but man is it tempting.

Axiom

Mar said:
Far too much sports talk in here these days.

Let's break it up by talking about sex in video games.
Considering I've made 2 comments on that blog, and that's 2 more comments than I've made on a blog in 2 years, I think you guys are doing some great stuff.

I've never played Silent Hill (I love horror movies, I can't play horror games), but Silent Hill 2 has always facinated me considering how incredibly rich and deep the thought that went into it is. It just seems on an entirely different level when it comes to subtext, that even when the subtext is pretty much just bolded text, people still miss it.

There's not many games I can think of where you play it once and go 'That was fun' and then you look into it more and suddenly you go 'Oh...OOOOH...wow...OH, holy crap' again and again.

Ydahs

Got out of the exam a couple of hours ago. I think (hope) I did okay...

Now, a two week holiday. Finally I can play me some Chrono Trigger :D

rass

Choc said:
Borders and Angus & Robertson customers left holding gift certificates after the booksellers fell into voluntary administration are being told they must spend double the amount of each voucher in order to redeem the cards.

hmmm

http://www.borders.com.au/gift-cards
I have a $15 voucher in my wallet for next time I go past a store, I wouldn't have had a clue - cheers

Gazunta

When I ordered a book from Borders Australia online it took 3 months to get to me, because they had to import it from America first. They would have lost twenty bucks on postage easily on the $10 book. Fuck 'em.

Agyar

Choc said:
Borders and Angus & Robertson customers left holding gift certificates after the booksellers fell into voluntary administration are being told they must spend double the amount of each voucher in order to redeem the cards.

hmmm

http://www.borders.com.au/gift-cards

Wow, way to be shitty. This is why gift cards are horrible and people should stop buying them because there is absolutely no advantage for the consumer over cash.

Mar

Axiom said:
Considering I've made 2 comments on that blog, and that's 2 more comments than I've made on a blog in 2 years, I think you guys are doing some great stuff.

Thanks. I've really enjoyed reading your comments.

rass

Agyar said:
Wow, way to be shitty. This is why gift cards are horrible and people should stop buying them because there is absolutely no advantage for the consumer over cash.
I wouldn't call it shitty, more... clever loss prevention by the administrators.
The company is clearly out of money, and if you go in and use that $50 gift card you've had in the drawer for 2 years (Borders gift cards don't expire) they are $50 worse off than now. If you spend $100 then they are at the same point.

Gift Cards are pretty shit though, I don't like receiving them at all. Which, incidentally, is why I have a 4 year old $15 card for Borders in my wallet now.

r1chard

Gazunta said:
When I ordered a book from Borders Australia online it took 3 months to get to me, because they had to import it from America first. They would have lost twenty bucks on postage easily on the $10 book. Fuck 'em.
This happened to a guy I work with. He's still not got the damned book. Apparently they were perfectly fine that "in stock" on their website really meant "yeah, we reckon we can probably source one of those eventually".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom