• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agyar

rass said:
I wouldn't call it shitty, more... clever loss prevention by the administrators.
The company is clearly out of money, and if you go in and use that $50 gift card you've had in the drawer for 2 years (Borders gift cards don't expire) they are $50 worse off than now. If you spend $100 then they are at the same point.

Gift Cards are pretty shit though, I don't like receiving them at all. Which, incidentally, is why I have a 4 year old $15 card for Borders in my wallet now.

You missed scenario three, which is that you don't redeem your gift card under those conditions and they still have the stock they can sell back to the supplier/other retailers.

Choc

Banned
as someone pointed out on smh

a far better way if they want to offer 50c to creditors with gift cards (as in administrative business speak)

would be to halve the value of the cards so you at least dont have to spend money yourself to use them.

Agyar

Choc said:
as someone pointed out on smh

a far better way if they want to offer 50c to creditors with gift cards (as in administrative business speak)

would be to halve the value of the cards so you at least dont have to spend money yourself to use them.

Which eliminates the best-case scenario (for them) that I detailed above. One of the best values of gift cards for the business selling them has always been that a percentage of people in possession of them will never use them. The strategy they're employing increases that percentage substantially and directly affects the amount of stock they are able to sell-off to cover debts and costs.

legend166

Choc, just further on soccer participation rates, and to back up what I was saying earlier:

Figures taken from the ABS: http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/DetailsPage/4901.0.55.0012000 to 2009?OpenDocument

For boys only:

5-8 yo: Soccer 112.4k Australian football 72.7k (RL 22.6k, Swimming is no.1)
9-11 yo: Soccer 88.6k (no. 1) Australian football 71.8k (RL 33.9k)
12-14 yo: Australian Football 79.1k (no. 1) Soccer 76.8k (RL 40.7k)

I imagine then once you get older again (>25), it starts to swing back in soccer's favour.

Doesn't surprise me.

Man, this is a good replacement for NPDs :D

Also, what sparked this whole thing - Milicevic is the worst kind of second generation immigrant:

that crazy ljubobobobo mililililicevic guy said:
“I’m Croatian. Let’s be real. I’m not Australian. You guys don’t want me here... Do you think I have any kind of loyalty to the union jack? It’s a flag for rapists and pillagers. I’m Croat. Look at my backyard. Trees filled with fruit. My dad’s got his own little cellar. There’s Croatian music playing in the background. I was born here but I was raised as a Croat. So Croatians are known for being honest and truthful and emotional and passionate...look at Goran Ivanisevic for example. When I look at his interviews I feel normal. When I look at Australian sport I feel disgusted. It is so clichéd. It is so boring.”

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
Choc, just further on soccer participation rates, and to back up what I was saying earlier:

Figures taken from the ABS: http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/DetailsPage/4901.0.55.0012000 to 2009?OpenDocument

For boys only:

I imagine then once you get older again (>25), it starts to swing back in soccer's favour.

Doesn't surprise me.

Also, what sparked this whole thing - Milicevic is the worst kind of second generation immigrant:

i find it interesting that the police want to work at the tennis when djokovic matches go to shit and have riots all the time

markot

Banned
legend166 said:
Whered you get that crazy croat from >.<?

And Djokovic matches dont go to shit all the time, its just when morans drapped in Croat crap and Serb crap meet up at the tennis they act like fuckwits.

< Is a serb >.> Also went to the Aus open the last 2 years.

giri

rass said:
I wouldn't call it shitty, more... clever loss prevention by the administrators.
The company is clearly out of money, and if you go in and use that $50 gift card you've had in the drawer for 2 years (Borders gift cards don't expire) they are $50 worse off than now. If you spend $100 then they are at the same point.

Gift Cards are pretty shit though, I don't like receiving them at all. Which, incidentally, is why I have a 4 year old $15 card for Borders in my wallet now.
I actually think it's an industry that is crying out for legislation for supervision. There is no valid reason to put a time limit on the cards, all that money is MAKING them money, just sitting there in an account earning interest. That they have a time limit is a despicable money making cash grab of the highest order.

markot

Banned
Gift cards are such a scam, they should be banned under the 'put some thought into it bill of 2011'....

Its a worse gift than money, I mean, its like exchanging money for something that does the same thing.. but worse... and gives it an expiry date...

Omikron

markot said:
Whered you get that crazy croat from >.<?

And Djokovic matches dont go to shit all the time, its just when morans drapped in Croat crap and Serb crap meet up at the tennis they act like fuckwits.

< Is a serb >.>

haha, was going to say, but you beat me to it, you would have to be a serb.

I am with legend, 2nd generation of certain nationalities tend to go off the deep end a bit with the whole homeland stuff, Ljubo is just a great example of that, I think he is confused between how good it is here compared to say Croatia/Serbia, and living in Switzerland playing for Thun. :) And that has been echoed by many 1st/2nd gen Croats/Serbs I know.

Choc

Banned
also

the flood levy is going to pass parliament

edit: I dated a serb who was over there during the war. The stories she used to tell me, amazing

i just read they did a flyover in the SuperBowl this year of US Airforce jets, but its a closed stadium

are they that f'ing stupid? :)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Maybe local book companies and stores should look into region locking, I hear it works well.

Choc

Banned
VOOK said:
Maybe local book companies and stores should look into region locking, I hear it works well.

they already have that. Parallel importing of books for resale is banned and that is what is widely being discussed as the reason Borders has finished.

nintendo could learn from this

Dead Man

Mar said:
Far too much sports talk in here these days.

Let's break it up by talking about sex in video games.
What a great blog. Thanks for the link.

Choc said:
they already have that. Parallel importing of books for resale is banned and that is what is widely being discussed as the reason Borders has finished.

Yeah, when you can't compete with prices from overseas due to laws meant to protect local publishers, something is busted.

Kritz

Banned
Just said no to the job offer. :(

As much as I'd love to go back, I really want to do Uni.

Edit: I also drewed this:

punch.png

Ydahs

The first bit of spam on my website. I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere :')

Now... to add a way to ban users off of chat...

edit: oh hai, Rez is unbanned

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Choc said:

Yeah but you could still buy, and USE a book from overseas.

Locked games you can't.

giri said:
Yeah, really, what you're not including in those ch7 rankings is the fact that it airs on Fox at the same time... so it's only including half the audience.

The top rating programs on fox only reach like 300K or so (and most of them are NRL games, go figure). There is no way fox makes up for anywhere near half of the ratings for wallabies games (haven't seen the top 100 for a while but i don't think union was anywhere near the top).

Even if you were right and fox did account for half of the games audience those ratings would still be poor.

giri said:
Plenty of roo's games don't, particularly outside of brisbane. They had a 3 game test series againt england where they didn't crack 15k for one game.

And when i'm talking those figures, thats attendance.

When was this 3 game series? Certainly not in the last few years. Most of the games involving Australia do get over 20K.

giri said:
Actually, all those things about those clubs, are real.

The bullshit i was referring to was the suggestion that league will be dead within 20 years. Rugby league is still growing so if you're going to make a ridiculous claim like that at least try and back it up.

giri said:
Actually, you couldn't be more wrong and are just talking out your ass. Ch 9 and Fox sports don't "share contracts", keep that in mind during this.

How am i talking out of my ass? Where did i say they shared contracts?

I said that the FTA networks are going to have to spend a lot more this time around to get the NRL and AFL rights. There is going to be a lot less money for the lesser rating sports like union.

giri said:
ARU and the NZRU were offered more for their packaged rights by fox sports, than either could get seperately, it works in NZ because over there, fox has some deal where they are shown on FTA. Fox in Aus doesn't. I think just about every wallaby game is shown on FTA. But, you think what you want.

Where did i say they weren't? I said the super 14 (now 15) can't get shown on FTA because none of the FTA networks want it.

Also aren't wallaby matches on the anti-siphoning list? I thought they had to be shown on FTA.

giri said:
What i said about those clubs, was true. NCL were not allowed into their stadium last year for 8 weeks because they didn't pay their rates or electricity bill, iirc. (Thats foggy, not sure if it was over that, or sponsorship). You're welcome to look into the manly thing, but the majority owner got sick of putting in capital, and said he flat out refuses to do it anymore, and that the club has been running at a loss for years, and wants out. They couldn't find someone to buy his interest in the club.

I remember the situation with manly and im pretty sure its improved. With the significant increase in memberships most clubs are experiencing (including manly) i don't think this will be a problem.

The only 2 clubs who were really at major risk of going bust recently were the knights and sharks. The tinkler buyout has ensured the knights future and looks to be a major improvement in their financial situation.

The sharks are the only club currently at risk of going bust. However they too, have drastically increased their membership numbers and are planning to get involved in some development to secure their future.

Even if the sharks do go bust, the CC team is ready to be admitted straight away and would almost certainly have bigger crowds and would be much better off financially. So its not like it would be a major issue.

giri said:
As for crowds at all the super clubs not the waratahs, massively up. The waratahs are playing a horrible style of union that is extraordinarily boring, and they weren't winning whilst playing it. I couldn't blame no one for not wanting to go, it was god awful.

Am i looking at the wrong figures? As far as i can tell the waratahs crowds went up in 2010 as did the reds. The brumbies and force were both down (the force have dropped off significantly in the last few years).

Not that i really care about super 14 crowds. I was responding to your comment that NRL memberships and crowds have been dropping for 3 years. That was just completely wrong and im not sure where you could have heard that.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
legend166 said:
So buying the Billion 7800N fixed my internet. Huh.

BUT, now I'm only getting ADSL speeds (1.5mbps). I need to fix that.

What's your settings and what were you originally connected at ?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's possible they slowed it down in their end to reduce noise or something.

Salazar

UFC Undisputed 2010 is gloriously amusing. Made mutant versions of me and my brother, and spent the afternoon beating pulp out of his head. Planning to actually learn the systems tomorrow.

Quasar

legend166 said:
My opinion on Qriocity:

What's the point of it if it's not mobile? The majority of my music listening (probably 95% at this stage), is done through my phone when I'm at work, or on the train, or in the car. And even if it was portable, does anyone else feel that a streaming music set up just isn't viable in Australia? No one is going to stream music over their 3G connection.

They should have done something like this - $13 for unlimited streaming and one album download per month.

Mobile streaming is a bit of a problem locally. Fixed though is fine.

The trial I have played around with is OK. The audio quality is not as bad as I expected and the variety is wider than I expected. The interface, especially on PS3 needs a bit of work though. Price wise seems fine if you currently buy music with any regularity. Which is probably why I'll cancel my subscription before the trial runs out.

They really ought to have included this (or the basic part) into PSPlus.

markot

Banned
I wish they would go back to 'The Bends' era of awesome >.<

Its ok, but nothing earth shattering. But im only up to track 5 >.>

Ydahs

Shaneus said:
For once, some nice, pleasant rain that doesn't make it seem like Noah isn't about to be floating by any second. Go Geelong!
Like that over here in Melbourne. Will be relaxing during sleep :)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I played handball at 2am, and bought a cassette off a band... I feel so ironically indie it hurts.

I bet megadrive knows how I feel.

hamchan

When I think about it the last Zelda I really really enjoyed was the Wind Waker. Twilight Princess was kinda boring. The DS Zeldas are just alright.

HolyCheck

hamchan said:
When I think about it the last Zelda I really really enjoyed was the Wind Waker. Twilight Princess was kinda boring. The DS Zeldas are just alright.

I'm not hyped one bit for skyward sword, and it saddens me, I recall in year 12 loading up the first TP trailers in class and with the other guys being HOLYSHITSFUCKHESYSEYSESE

but now :( i just cbs.

more excited for OoT on 3ds

HolyCheck

legend166 said:

For boys only:

Doesn't surprise me.

Did you just go against every single piece of evidence you just produced, to state some idea with 0 evidence?

hamchan

I read through that possessed man eats baby thread and I found the pic yet I feel nothing, no emotion, nothing. Either I don't have a soul or I'm really tired.

EDIT: Hey Syth, we rule this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom