• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bernbaum said:
The one feature that may sway me towards getting it on 360 is the camera controls, which for all I know, are completely absent on the Wii/PSMove versions. How well does is work?

Camera is fine 99% of the time. It's like any third person game, you can invert y or x axis and adjust the sensitivity (or press LB to centre to camera behind Blob). There was only one point when I had Blob standing on the edge of a cliff and the camera kind auto-swang around a bit.

I think camera control would be pretty important, especially when you are trying to locate specific buildings or objectives. Also the draw distance on Wii is meant to be somewhat average, which might make finding stuff a little hard. But having said that, there is a neat little HUD which you can switch on or off which will point you in the right direction should you get lost.

But I guess if you got the PS3 version you could play it without Move if you wanted... If I had move I would probably get PS3 version just so I had the option to use it should I felt that way inclined.

Bernbaum

On the GBQL, Vinny was helping Brad as 2p by controlling a pointer that could keep a colour in reserve and 'shoot' de Blob to add that colour. Basically an 'assist' mode similar to that in Super Mario Galaxy. The pointer was controlled by the analog stick but I get the impression this is a translation of the Wii/Move pointer.

Are there any parts of the single player experience that requires 'pointer' controls on the gamepad?

Bernbaum said:
On the GBQL, Vinny was helping Brad as 2p by controlling a pointer that could keep a colour in reserve and 'shoot' de Blob to add that colour. Basically an 'assist' mode similar to that in Super Mario Galaxy. The pointer was controlled by the analog stick but I get the impression this is a translation of the Wii/Move pointer.

Are there any parts of the single player experience that requires 'pointer' controls on the gamepad?

Hmm not so far... But I'm only on the second level and gameplay elements are still being gradually introduced, so I'm not sure.

You can, however, use the stick like a cursor to paint stuff on the loading screens... I think I'm going to have to uninstall the game from my hard drive so I have more time to draw loading screen penises

Bernbaum

Yesterday I went to buy de Blob but was still indecisive about what platform to get it on. I stood there in JB with the 360 version in one hand, and the PS3 in the other, casting my gaze from left to right like Mr Burns trying to decide whether to get Ketchup or Catsup.

I purchased neither.

Instead I got Killzone 3, a game with very few surprises. It is also pretty fucking good. It offers nothing new but does it all exceptionally well. In the ~1.5 hours I put into it, I went through a firing range quasi-training level; I watched a cutscene; I had several exchanges of small arms fire with baddies interspersed with cutscenes; I had a turret section; I had a mounted turret section; I watched a cutscene and then the game gave me sniper rifle and I had to out-snipe other snipers so I could win a cutscene.

I’ve done all of that before in other games, countless times.

Killzone 3 is big dumb fun. I picked it up because I was buggered and didn’t want to think too hard to learn something more complex and that is exactly what I got. Yes, there's the usual baby steps required to get the player up to speed with the setting and introduce the controls, but it gets through it about as quick as it can - borrowing a page from the book of Roxette by not boring us and getting straight to the chorus. Technically, the game is much more refined than its predecessor and the controls feel tighter so I guess that’s a plus. In the 30 minute window at the beginning of a game when I’m actually impressed by visual flair before not giving a shit how it looks, I admit to being Blown Away™.

Big budget shooters like this are the spaghetti bolognaise of gaming – it’s easy and accessible, if a bit familiar, but you always walk away satisfied.

I look forward to thoroughly enjoying the 6 hours that Killzone 3 has for me before I put it aside and promptly forget all about it.

Waikis

jambo said:
Haha, I will if you will, suicide pact style.

That's besides the point, it should be fully featured and unrestricted from the get-go.

PC modding community to the rescue again.

There's a graphic glitch that plagued 6900 series owners too Jambo.

rass

evlcookie said:
Ah well then, considering it's so old then yea it might be worth upgrading. I figured you were on a 2009/2010 model. That tends to be how the apple hive mind works, hardware is 1yr old zomg upgrade!
haha, I'm glad I'm not like that. I've had no real issues with mine until about a year ago when things started to get slow. Before this I had a white G4 iBook for 2 and a half years.

I am an Apple fanboy though, maybe I need to hand in my badge. Don't have an iPad and my laptop is 4 years old? suicide.

Thinking of selling my 360 to help pay for living - anyone here interested before I eBay it?
It's an arcade with HDMI out, got it on Skate 2 launch day.
Have:
60GB HDD
2 controls (no play and charge though)
skate 2
skate 3
CoD: Modern Warfare
CoD: Modern Warfare 2
Viva Pinata
other stuff probably

Only game I'd miss would be Trials HD, but I'll live.

Bernbaum

evlcookie said:
Ah well then, considering it's so old then yea it might be worth upgrading. I figured you were on a 2009/2010 model. That tends to be how the apple hive mind works, hardware is 1yr old zomg upgrade!
I thought I would be immune to this.

My MacBook has a few subtle scratches across the surface but it is otherwise in tip-top condition. It runs everything I want it too (with the exception of a few Telltale games I wouldn't have minded playing on my Mac) yet for unexplainable reasons I feel like I'm doing it wrong by having something that isn't the latest hotness.

Kritz

Banned
2 hours early to uni. The morning crowd here is pretty boring. Bar appears closed.

Looks like it's gonna rain. Should've bought a jacket.

legend166

Why would you go to uni early?

I was never one of those guys that hung around uni. For me it was basically straight in, straight out.

Probably why I only ended up with one good Uni mate, lol.

Kritz said:
2 hours early to uni. The morning crowd here is pretty boring. Bar appears closed.

I read this post like Matt Damon in "The Informant!"

I've been to Tokyo. They sell little-girl underwear in the vending machines right on the main drag, the Ginza, or whatever. Guys in suits buying used girl panties. How is that okay? That's not okay.

Fuck I love that movie.

Kritz said:

Reads like Rorschach's journal if he went to uni.

Faint smell of rotting meat. Filth of the vermin scurrying around starting to build.

One day will cleanse gutters. Sweep whores, pimps and human waste down with rest of sewage.

First must learn C+. Lecturer may be evil. May possibly kill.

Herm.

Kritz said:
Mostly just learning the busses. Expected to be here way later.

I feel like I should find a computer and fix it.

Mostly just learning the busses. Expected to be here way later.

I feel like I should find a computer and fix it.

First fix city. Evil must be punished.

Herm.

Stackboy

Just moved office from West End, Brisbane to Coorparoo. It's pretty nice, we have windows now, so my eyes are stinging from the sunlight.

Is Killzone 2 worth picking up if all you know is Unreal Tournament and Halo?

OH MY GOD! WE'RE HAVING A FIRE..... sale:

http://shop.ebay.com.au/vicious_killer_squirrel/m.html

Selling:

M-06 Guitar Chord Software (DS, JP)
Disgaea DS
Dragon Quest V DS
Okamiden
LoZ:OoT Master Quest
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
Okami PS2
De Blob
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
No More Heroes

Thought some of you might be interested.

Making some room and recovering some funds from my 3DS outlay. Some of these games are pretty niche or relevant only to the likes of GAF's interests, so I'm posting here for maximum raditude.

If you mention that you're AusGAF in your communications, I'll throw in free shipping.

Kritz

Banned
Ico and shadow :eek:

If I remember by the time I get home, will totally take a crack at those.

Never too late to start a ps2 collection…

Edit: ONE DOLLAR :D
(I'm sorry)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Same kritz.

My goal, for some reason and maybe it's because i tend to see the "Look what i found in goodwill" posts on reddit where they find old awesome consoles, I want to build a nice little collection of classic machines and games. I would be throwing them in storage though until i get my own joint and can put them on display in the tv cabinet. Whip them out whenever i feel the need to relive memory lane.

Of course that requires effort and i have none of that. So there's a good chance that will never happen. And looking back at old 3D titles makes my eyes hurt.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
jambo said:
Haha, I will if you will, suicide pact style.

That's besides the point, it should be fully featured and unrestricted from the get-go.

PC modding community to the rescue again.

You're a disgusting human being.

(it is tempting :()

Bernbaum said:
Soldier is a very good way of playing the game a very particular way.

Please divulge more on why you enjoyed this lovely game from 2007.

Well, aside from occasional glitches in regards to clamping to walls while hiding, the combat for Soldier was amazing and gives you a pretty nice set of choices for weapons to use. I really enjoyed using the typical shotgun/assault rifle/sniper combo. The dialog was great and kept me watching, the great sense of "this is my character" makes the game much more believable and enjoyable. I'm not really much on commenting on games, though.

evlcookie said:
I would be throwing them in storage though until i get my own joint and can put them on display in the tv cabinet.
You'll also run into the problem where you might not have the right sort of inputs. I have a SNES, Megadrive and up until last year, an Amiga 500. I never plug any of them in. If I want to play my games I find it less effort to use an emulator to play the games I already own.

Mar

codswallop said:
You'll also run into the problem where you might not have the right sort of inputs. I have a SNES, Megadrive and up until last year, an Amiga 500. I never plug any of them in. If I want to play my games I find it less effort to use an emulator to play the games I already own.

Not a fan of emulators.

I have my C64 hooked up at all times on my computer desk. I've now replaced the disk drive with a 1541 ultimate cartridge which virtualises the drive and I can have thousands of disks on a USB stick.

Mar said:
Not a fan of emulators.

I have my C64 hooked up at all times on my computer desk. I've now replaced the disk drive with a 1541 ultimate cartridge which virtualises the drive and I can have thousands of disks on a USB stick.
I know they're not perfect, legal questions aside, but it's a hell of a lot easier than digging through all the cables, having to connect using RF if you can even find the cable. Nothing for me beats playing Super Mario World with the real SNES controller though. I wonder if I could still play it through from start to finish in under 15 minutes...

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
codswallop said:
I know they're not perfect, legal questions aside, but it's a hell of a lot easier than digging through all the cables, having to connect using RF if you can even find the cable. Nothing for me beats playing Super Mario World with the real SNES controller though. I wonder if I could still play it through from start to finish in under 15 minutes...

I have one these;

6PfoK.jpg

Bernbaum

^ Club Nintendo SNES pad is all sorts of amazing.

viciouskillersquirrel your list of games contains some amazing personal favourites that I couldn't possibly imagine ever parting ways with - even if I'll never touch most of them again.

Agyar

codswallop said:

15 minutes? What a ripoff so short that's even worse than Vanquish.

Bernbaum

rass said:
what the hell?
where can I acquire such a thing?
WHERE!?
If you weren't born Japanese, it's already too late.

PlayAsia are out, and the prices have been climbing on eBay for the last few years or so

rass

Bernbaum said:
If you weren't born Japanese, it's already too late.

PlayAsia are out, and the prices have been climbing on eBay for the last few years or so
$100.
ouch.
I will inevitably buy one :(

Bernbaum said:
^ Club Nintendo SNES pad is all sorts of amazing.

viciouskillersquirrel your list of games contains some amazing personal favourites that I couldn't possibly imagine ever parting ways with - even if I'll never touch most of them again.
It actually hurts a little, letting some of these go, especially after all the effort I went to to find them in the first place. Thing is, I know myself. With my lifestyle, I can't see myself ever playing through more than two or three console games in a good year, meaning that some of these aren't ever getting replayed.

Okami, for instance, was amazing when I first played through it. Totally justified my PS2 purchase. Thing is, it's a 70 hour game. The guy who played it for a few hours every weeknight for about two months just isn't here anymore. I have to let it go.

I was *this* close to throwing SMG and LoZ:TP on the list as well, but I just couldn't do it.

Also, three of them are the result of me double-dipping.

Bernbaum

viciouskillersquirrel said:
It actually hurts a little, letting some of these go, especially after all the effort I went to to find them in the first place. Thing is, I know myself. With my lifestyle, I can't see myself ever playing through more than two or three console games in a good year, meaning that some of these aren't ever getting replayed.

Okami, for instance, was amazing when I first played through it. Totally justified my PS2 purchase. Thing is, it's a 70 hour game. The guy who played it for a few hours every weeknight for about two months just isn't here anymore. I have to let it go.

I was *this* close to throwing SMG and LoZ:TP on the list as well, but I just couldn't do it.

Also, three of them are the result of me double-dipping.
I have Final Fantasy's V through XIII, not including XI, for GBA, PSX and PS2 all just sitting there unplayed, some still in the plastic wrapper. There's no goddamn way I'm gonna have the billion hours required to play the console-only entries. I don't know why I'm still holding onto the bloody things.

I still have my Super Mario 64 cart with a 120-star save. My 64 controllers are shot to shit and there's always the VC port, but no way am I getting rid of that - I may even be buried with the thing.

The hunt for the next Bernietar (or is it Avabaum?) is over.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Well I put a bid in for ICO, ViciousKillerSquirell. Very reasonable prices. :)

Ive never played it, so there's no time like the present I guess.

Bernbaum said:
I have Final Fantasy's V through XIII, not including XI, for GBA, PSX and PS2 all just sitting there unplayed, some still in the plastic wrapper. There's no goddamn way I'm gonna have the billion hours required to play the console-only entries. I don't know why I'm still holding onto the bloody things.

I still have my Super Mario 64 cart with a 120-star save. My 64 controllers are shot to shit and there's always the VC port, but no way am I getting rid of that - I may even be buried with the thing.

The hunt for the next Bernietar (or is it Avabaum?) is over.
Yeah, I don't have any gaming heirlooms left over from my childhood (or any earlier than 2008, for that matter). I gave my NES and SNES to my younger cousins after I was done with them, along with all my games, so I don't have the same kind of attachment.

Even with stuff like Zelda where I played every game in the series over the course of about three or four years, I knew I had no hope of amassing the cool collections some people have, so I never bothered and just sold off the stuff I knew I wouldn't replay. I don't think I've ever even held one of the original gold NES cartridges in my hands.

legend166

I think I've sold about 4 games in my life, and I regret selling 3 of them.

First of all, I sold Yoshi's Island. For $25. What the hell was I thinking? My stupid 10 year old self was a moron.

I sold Skies of Arcadia on GCN. I regret that a lot.

One game I don't regret selling is Eternal Darkness. Because that game sucked.

Choc

Banned
soooooooooo apparently the sports illustrated psn magazine swimsuit thing went up on au/eu psn today

and unlike the yanks, its free

and 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom