• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agyar

I'm glad other people are recognising the great things Bulletstorm does within the FPS genre. I could see and feel it straight out of the gate, which is why (as some people will know) I've been advocating it strongly from the demo alone.

I can't wait for my copy to arrive next week so I can dive in and fuck some fools up.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Salazar said:
Sniping in Bulletstorm is fucken superb.

I am usually dreadful at "guide the projectile" stuff in games, but this suits me very nicely. Don't know how far I am through the SP, but I'm not really too bothered. I will play this again. I am frightfully keen to show it to people.
I had no idea the sniper rifle did that, when it actually happened in game I had an 'oh my god THEY DIDN'T' moment, and then giggled like a school girl. embarrassing for everyone involved.

Bernbaum

Agyar said:
I'm glad other people are recognising the great things Bulletstorm does within the FPS genre. I could see and feel it straight out of the gate, which is why (as some people will know) I've been advocating it strongly from the demo alone.

I can't wait for my copy to arrive next week so I can dive in and fuck some fools up.
I don't care a single bit for points, combos or leaderboard score-chasing.

I am interested in the moment to moment feel of the gunplay and variety in level design.

The 'Echoes' mode will go untouched.

Sell me on Bulletstorm.

jambo

Bernbaum said:
Sell me on Bulletstorm.

m96Dj.jpg

You have to see it for yourself.

Jintor

You bastards are making me want this game now

Will it ever come to the steams

/edit oh yay it's on the steams

//edit why doesn't Steam refer to my DOB (or have an input field to refer to my DOB) so that I don't get these age verification screens when browsing the store?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bernbaum said:

I am interested in the moment to moment feel of the gunplay and variety in level design.

Sell me on Bulletstorm.
It isn't about scoring. It's about, effectively, trying new things to earn more "money" (which is presented as points, which many mistake for a score) to further upgrde your weapons and abilities. The constant stream of new scenarios and weapons is masterfully balanced in relation to the "economy".

One of my favorite shooters of all time, RE4, puts a heavy emphasis on precision shots by making the enemies slow down as they get nearer to you, offering different incentives to hit certain body parts (enemies drop their weapon, else they crouch over and you can kick them) and headshots alone are later discouraged thanks to the parasite.

All of these things are adapted to an FPS environment with a genuinely surprising amount of skill. Nothing is copied wholesale. Some of the decisions made in Bulletstorm imply that the developer understood the actual theory of, well, fun, I guess, that originally dictated these decisions be made in the first place.

You're given abilities that bring enemies up toward you in slow-motion. You have a variety of weapons that all function differently (they all have their own unique, useful purpose, in addition to complementary alt fire modes). You have an upgrade economy that effectively promotes you playing the game imaginatively. You have a slide that gives you that old-school Mario Bros jump feeling of instant gratification for basically doing nothing. The ramp up of new gameplay ideas is gradual, but extremely clever.

I could go on, but I don't want to ruin it. It's a game that is best discovered for yourself. I went in expecting a big dumb action game, and instead I've discovered one of the most exciting games since Bayonetta.

Buy. Buy. Buy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
They're really similar. One's a tiger and one's a lion. They share an ancestor, have a lot in common genetically, but in practice they're very different.

HolyCheck said:
lol thats how it was asked! (I was drunk and it seemed funny at the time!)

I'll let them know you're interested. If you'd like to prepare any form of statement, detailing your attributes, likes and dislike I can pass that on, too.

I'll also need a cheque for $500 for my matchmaking services. Direct Debit is also an option.

rass

played through the killzone 3 demo yesterday.
KZ2 was the game that got me into fps (and subsequently took over a couple of years of my life haha :/) but I wasn't feeling KZ3 at all. I either grew up or it got worse. Oh well, saved myself some cash.

Omikron

The lara croft game continues to be enjoyable even single player only. :)

Oh and a 3-1 win makes monday morning that much more enjoyable. :D

Omikron

Yeah all good, except Birimingham won. Fucking shit footballing side.

Edit: Oh and how good were the a-league finals on the weekend? Bloody awesome stuff.

Bernbaum said:

Sell me on Bulletstorm.
I don't care about score attack or points or multiplayer in anyway. The story is good enough to carry me along fantastically designed levels with incredibly solid mechanics that reward fun gunplay rather than just going for headshots. I haven't felt forced to change my playstyle just to maximise my points which was the biggest surprise for me. It also looks great. Plus you are a drunken space pirate.

Stackboy

I loved bulletstorm, gameplay is fun completely the whole way through the campaign. Might play some echos, but I doubt MP is for me.

I stuck mostly to the flailgun and sniper rifle. The gun that released the explosive ball didn't seem to do that much damage on impact and the big nailgun thingie didn't feel that epic as a final weapon.

Kritz

Banned
I'm now outbidded on both ico and shadow. I think I am going to leave it like this. Gives me more money to spend on current games.

Games I have paid for and am waiting to arrive / release:

Portal 2
Assassin's Creed Bro
Bulletstorm
Crysis 2

Games I still kind of want to buy:

Dragon Age 2
Everything Else

:(

jambo

Salazar said:
3, if I remember right. Getting close to the "damsel in distress".

Making heavy, almost comically frequent use of the slide to knock over creeps.

You're not even halfway! =D Game went a bit longer than I thought it would, awesome when you thought it's done and then you keep going.

And I'm sliding about 80% of the time whilst fighting, so awesome to slide along, shoot someone, reload and then kick someone off a cliff.

Choc

Banned
Gutter journalism continues

Today Tonight filmed earthquake survivor Anne Vos in her hospital bed without permission from the hospital, according to The Australian.
Canterbury District Health Board’s Amy Milne said Today Tonight had “blatantly” accessed the hospital without permission.
Anthony Vos described the filming of his mother in her hospital bed as immoral and unethical. Vos is outraged that TT filmed her with a small digicam while she was recuperating in hospital.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2011/02/today-tonight-world-exclusive-lacked-hospital-permission.html

question about entourage

just watched episode where Vincent is based up at Eminem party and goes to hospital. Gets caught with coke by the cops, show ends. Is that the final ep of the season?

jambo said:
Fucking people not using the 3DS properly.
True, and they're probably using the 3D slider at "full", but one would think that during a two-hour gaming session-- if you're on a couch or whatever--you would move and shift position quite a bit, putting you in and out of the sweet spot more than a few times.

Mar

jambo said:
Fucking people not using the 3DS properly.

Blind defence of Nintendo technology much?

It is a concern that the main feature of this new system causes issues with eyesight for a lot of people. The guys at Giant Bomb say exactly the same thing. After extended periods anything besides turning 3D off entirely can be troubling and cause eye strain and motion sickness.

I honestly worry how this is going to affect young kids eyes as they are growing up. Sure Nintendo say kids under a certain age shouldn't use it, but that's like telling kids they can't eat a lolly pop.

Choc

Banned
its not a huge factor for me because quite frankly i see myself putting it in 3D for 5-10 minutes when i get a new game to see what its like then just going 2D

yes its somewhat defeats the purpose of the system but eh, as long as the gameplay is awesome then the 3D effect should not matter......

jambo

Mar said:

You really think that I meant that? =P

Mar said:
It is a concern that the main feature of this new system causes issues with eyesight for a lot of people. The guys at Giant Bomb say exactly the same thing. After extended periods anything besides turning 3D off entirely can be troubling and cause eye strain and motion sickness.

I honestly worry how this is going to affect young kids eyes as they are growing up. Sure Nintendo say kids under a certain age shouldn't use it, but that's like telling kids they can't eat a lolly pop.

I don't think there will be any long term effects. 20 to 30 years of research have turned up no long term effects from extended use of computer screens. I doubt 3D will have an effect.

You mean my eyes will get sore while playing a 3DS while riding my bike to places? D: Hopefully by the time I get to a place where I want to get back into portable gaming there is new tech that makes this less of an issue. For now 3D in my pocket will have to wait.

legend166

FreeFallin' said:
You mean my eyes will get sore while playing a 3DS while riding my bike to places? D: Hopefully by the time I get to a place where I want to get back into portable gaming there is new tech that makes this less of an issue. For now 3D in my pocket will have to wait.

wat?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mar said:

Dont ask me to quote a study, because I can't, but I believe that a separate non-Nintendo organization has deemed the tech safe for developing eyes, despite Nintendo's "WE REALLY DON'T WANT TO BE SUED" warning.

Bernbaum

The 3DS works fine enough even if the inclusion of the technology runs counter to the philosophy of handheld gaming. Not bothered too much by that because mine will get played at home on the couch. I foresee that many a game will be played in full 2D, namely stuff like SFIV which doubles the frame rate when played in 2D.

I listened to last week’s Bombcast and cannot agree with Gerstmann on Killzone 3. He did state that back half of the game begins to crumble, but there were plenty of caveats I thought he would mention.

I am thoroughly looking forward to the XBLA release of Beyond Good and Evil. After that, Bulletstorm.

Choc

Banned
There is some interesting points in that article such as the fact the sexual acts do not occur in the game and would occur in the loungeroom make it something the board is not allowed to consider as its not part of the entertainment in the game.

So basically they are saying if a game encourages you to kick the shit out of someone but it doesn't happen in game, its ok.

What, i mean what the fuck?

I understand why the censors cannot consider what a game does in terms of the actions inside the persons house, but what i can't understand is if the game ACTIVELY encourages this, why it cannot be taken into account.

wow

Interestingly, the board's decision noted that Ubisoft had suggested We Dare be given an M rating but the censors decided that PG was adequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom