• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
Alan Jones is their immortal king though.... That guy is... amazing.

Pretty much has NSW and Sydney by the balls. And they love it!

Oh, Anyone watch last weeks Media Watch? I cant believe Chris Oldfield has a regularly paid gig on the radio.... or is employed at all....

Sydney Radio is so nuts. It like our Fox News channel.

markot said:
Alan Jones is their immortal king though.... That guy is... amazing.

Pretty much has NSW and Sydney by the balls. And they love it!

Oh, Anyone watch last weeks Media Watch? I cant believe Chris Oldfield has a regularly paid gig on the radio.... or is employed at all....

Yeah I saw that. It was pretty much sickening.

And what's sad is that no one besides Media Watch seemed to care about it.

Gazunta said:
The day I decided once and for all QANTM was a pile of shit was the day I went in and the teacher decided to just make us all watch the bonus 'Making of' Metal Gear Solid 2 videos that came with the game. It cost me $20 to go to class that day. I was not happy.

I've had experiences like that. Heck, I didn't mind watching some of the stuff but I'm not sure it falls under 'educational'.

Fredescu

markot said:
We have Adam Spencer in the morning and Richard Glover in the afternoon. There is literally no point competing with them if you're going for intelligent debate, so every other station obviously hires nutjobs.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
9:19 AM - Kritz: blizzard making good games once every half a decade doesn't really do much to promote themselves as high as Valve
9:19 AM - Kritz: like sure they're a good second place at being a pc developer
9:19 AM - Kritz: and it's amazing they haven't jumped ship yet

I think steamchat needs a kritz filter

Gazunta

codswallop said:
So it seems there are still tons of adventure games being put out and I never even knew it.

There's a Simon the Sorceror 5 (five!), new game from the Broken Sword guy ("So Blonde"), and a ripoff of Bladerunner/Beneath a Steel Sky.

Anyone played any new adventure games recently (besides the Telltale ones, which everyone already knows about)? Any good?
I've been playing a lot of text adventures over the last few weeks - I think I'll start a thread about them...but thanks for the heads up!

Agyar

The Dragon Age 2 OT is a steaming pile of bullshit. So much for OTs being for interested parties to discuss and read about the game, apparently now it's a sanctioned zone for PC zealots to troll everything and give Evilore a rim job.

Just raced Ozgameshop and Zavvi with an order.

Ozgameshop
Confirmation: 15/02/2011 10:39 (ETA 4-12 days)
Despatched: 16/02/2011 00:10
Arrived: 23/02/2011 (8 days [6 business days] after order)

Zavvi
Confirmation: 15/02/2011 10:40 (ETA 10-15 days)
Despatched: 16/02/2011 04:11
Arrived: 01/03/2011 (14 days [10 business days] after order)

... so there you have it, I guess.

Gazunta said:
I've been playing a lot of text adventures over the last few weeks - I think I'll start a thread about them...but thanks for the heads up!
There are tons on that website (us-adventureshop.gamesplanet.com) and probably plenty more floating about that I haven't heard about either. I haven't played a new adventure game for years. A couple of years back I went through most of the Lucasarts back catalogue again due to lack of new games.

Agyar said:
The Dragon Age 2 OT is a steaming pile of bullshit.

Yes, yes it is. I don't understand all the hate? Bioware significantly changed up Mass Effect 2 and despite the fact that I didn't agree with all the changes, it was a much better game. They've earned my trust if they want to mix things up a bit. If I wanted to play Dragon Age: Origins again, I'd just play it again.

Fredescu

codswallop said:
Bioware significantly changed up Mass Effect 2 and despite the fact that I didn't agree with all the changes, it was a much better game.
And despite that, every other thread on NeoGAF still turns into an ME1 vs ME2 debate, so I'm not sure what is left not to "get". Developer moves series in a direction that some don't like. Expecting something other than message board controversy is naive.

Salazar

Fredescu said:
Maybe they are, but your link doesn't seem to do anything to support that statement.

Teachers will be expected to cover a substantial proportion of these extended hours. Anything that further entrenches the vision of teachers as childcare providers is, so far as I'm concerned, stupid.

Fredescu

Salazar said:
Teachers will be expected to cover a substantial proportion of these extended hours. Anything that further entrenches the vision of teachers as childcare providers is, so far as I'm concerned, stupid.

The Minister for Education, Verity Firth, said the Coalition's suggestion was not new.

She said schools could already vary their hours to accommodate parent work commitments, student travel and senior study options.

''It's been happening for years,'' she said.

So I guess NSW Labor is pretty stupid too? That much is obvious I guess.

codswallop said:

Ozgameshop
Confirmation: 15/02/2011 10:39 (ETA 4-12 days)
Despatched: 16/02/2011 00:10
Arrived: 23/02/2011 (8 days [6 business days] after order)

Zavvi
Confirmation: 15/02/2011 10:40 (ETA 10-15 days)
Despatched: 16/02/2011 04:11
Arrived: 01/03/2011 (14 days [10 business days] after order)

... so there you have it, I guess.

My Ozgameshop orders are all over the place these days.

Ordered SSFIV a few weeks back. Took 14 days (and my mate in NZ ordered his at the exact same time, received his copy in 4 days!). Yet before that, I ordered ME2 and it was in my mailbox after 7 days.

Think AusPost play a much bigger part in those delivery times haha..

Ordered Bulletstorm and TDU2 yesterday, so it'll be interesting to see how long these two take.

Jintor

My Uni magazine wants me to make a three panel comic about teacher strikes. The hell kind of punchline can you pull out of something about teacher strikes? :T

Bernbaum

Salazar said:
If there’s an issue that doesn’t affect me in any real way but angrys up the blood as I rock back and forth on my rocking chair on the front porch, it’s that one.

Teachers have a tough enough job as it is.

-Deadpool- said:
My Ozgameshop orders are all over the place these days.
Interesting. I think I'll continue to order from Ozgameshop when the prices are comparable but when they're a lot cheaper, I'll order from Zavvi (the 'free' shipping last month certainly helped -- you might be able to get it for another 15 minutes). I only ever order from these guys when I'm not in a hurry anyway.

Jintor said:
My Uni magazine wants me to make a three panel comic about teacher strikes. The hell kind of punchline can you pull out of something about teacher strikes? :T
Teachers don't do any work anyway, so no one noticed they were gone?

Omikron

Bernbaum said:
If there’s an issue that doesn’t affect me in any real way but angrys up the blood as I rock back and forth on my rocking chair on the front porch, it’s that one.

Teachers have a tough enough job as it is.

Indeed they do.

Early childhood teachers are another bunch in a tough situation with the Fed Govt wanting 15 hours of kindergarten per child a week.... try and work out how that would work when a lot of teachers do (a) 2 groups and (b) there is a seriously aging workforce.

Education. Everyone loves to take the piss out of it and say its soooo easy and they are overpaid, but not many want to do it. Is interesting.

Omi said:
Education. Everyone loves to take the piss out of it and say its soooo easy and they are overpaid, but not many want to do it. Is interesting.

When i was going to uni i was basically deciding between teaching and nursing (guess i was fucked either way).

Now im going to go back do my masters and teach nursing at uni (hopefully).

At least this way i shouldn't have to babysit peoples kids, and i wont get paid fuck all.

Bernbaum

Agyar said:
The Dragon Age 2 OT is a steaming pile of bullshit. So much for OTs being for interested parties to discuss and read about the game, apparently now it's a sanctioned zone for PC zealots to troll everything and give Evilore a rim job.
Evilore’s OP did get a chuckle out of me, but I too am disappointed, even though I won’t play it for 12 months.

From what I gather, the game doesn’t have the level of eye-candy in the Witcher 2, and is therefore worthy of nought but scorn.

Yeah it’s fun to have a laugh at some of the shortfallings of the game, but the attitude conveyed in the OP reeks of snobbery. I’m enjoying parts of DA:O fine enough even though it’s clearly not a pretty game – for me it’s about the systems at play.

A lot of the people joining the fray in the OT probably won’t play it, making the whole thread an exercise in redundancy.

Bernbaum said:
I’m enjoying parts of DA:O fine enough even though it’s clearly not a pretty game – for me it’s about the systems at play.
It's as ugly as sin on the 360. Didn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of it.

Salazar

legend166 said:
Speaking of early childhood, did anyone else not go to preschool like me?

You missed out on some epic slippery-slide action.*

*I remember bawling when I forgot my togs and had to sit out.

Ack! I decided I wanted to buy Radiant Historia this morning as I was toying with the idea yesterday, but between then and now, it sold out on Play-Asia. Does anyone know where else I might be able to procure a copy?

I went to pre-school, but didn't understand English at the time, legend. Does that count?

Fredescu

Bernbaum said:
From what I gather, the game doesn’t have the level of eye-candy in the Witcher 2, and is therefore worthy of nought but scorn.

Yeah it’s fun to have a laugh at some of the shortfallings of the game, but the attitude conveyed in the OP reeks of snobbery. I’m enjoying parts of DA:O fine enough even though it’s clearly not a pretty game – for me it’s about the systems at play.
The Witcher comparisons are stupid, but if the graphics stayed the same or got worse and the tactical depth was improved, you wouldn't see the same level of complaint. You would still see some complaining of course, it is Bioware after all.

Agyar

Bernbaum said:
Evilore’s OP did get a chuckle out of me, but I too am disappointed, even though I won’t play it for 12 months.

A lot of the people joining the fray in the OT probably won’t play it, making the whole thread an exercise in redundancy.

My gripe with the whole thing is that the forum for discussion about any aspect of the game other than the PC v. console horse shit has been removed. Having an OT created and governed by someone bearing such an obvious malice towards the game is not something that I've seen accepted on this forum before. Can you imagine the furor if a regular member had created such an OT for Gran Turismo 5? Instead the only people being banned are those disenchanted by the state of the discussion and with the apparently gall to speak up about it.

Fredescu said:
The Witcher comparisons are stupid, but if the graphics stayed the same or got worse and the tactical depth was improved, you wouldn't see the same level of complaint. You would still see some complaining of course, it is Bioware after all.

All I can see in that thread is a bunch of banner-waving shitheads choosing Dragon Age 2 as their next PC-GAF pariah. If only the complaints and discourse were as legitimate and inclusive as you describe.

Fredescu

Agyar said:
Having an OT created and governed by someone bearing such an obvious malice towards the game is not something that I've seen accepted on this forum before.
So you didn't see the first Dragon Age OT?

legend166 said:
Speaking of early childhood, did anyone else not go to preschool like me?
My bro went for just 2 days, but apparently spent all day with his hands on the glass, crying, waiting for Mum to return.

I on the other hand, had to be forcefully removed from the sand pit each day. Think I only cried when I had to leave and was in the middle of a micro-machines race with the other kids.

Agyar said:
My gripe with the whole thing is that the forum for discussion about any aspect of the game other than the PC v. console horse shit has been removed. Having an OT created and governed by someone bearing such an obvious malice towards the game is not something that I've seen accepted on this forum before. Can you imagine the furor if a regular member had created such an OT for Gran Turismo 5? Instead the only people being banned are those disenchanted by the state of the discussion and with the apparently gall to speak up about it.
You haven't seen that? It basically happens every time either EviLore or Amir0x touch something. As soon as they troll anything, it becomes a free-for-all and everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

EDIT: Can anyone help me with Radiant Historia? I'll bake you Internet cookies.

Fredescu

Agyar said:
All I can see in that thread is a bunch of banner-waving shitheads choosing Dragon Age 2 as their next PC-GAF pariah. If only the complaints and discourse were as legitimate and inclusive as you describe.
There is plenty of that, but there is also some discussion about the actual game. If you want to skip the worst, just don't read the start. I'm still the second highest poster in the first Dragon Age thread of which I read every single post, and it basically played out the exact same way. "Hail Evillore" "new shit lol" for a few pages and then general discussion of the game once it came out.

Kritz

Banned
codswallop said:

Ha. I did the same thing two days ago. Zavvi with bulletstorm, Ozgameshop with Crysis 2. Now, normally this wouldn't be a race, as one game is already out. But last time it took Zavvi two months to ship me Mafia II. So I guess we'll see who gets me a game first.

(spoilers: the answer is steam with portal 2)

On another note, centrelink sent me a letter today saying my request for a student allowance was denied. I then check my bank and I got $1.3k from centrelink, I call them up and they say it went through and I'll get $230 a fortnight from now until I get a job (I think).

So that's cool, I guess.

Salazar said:
You missed out on some epic slippery-slide action.*

*I remember bawling when I forgot my togs and had to sit out.
I remember getting overexcited by a passing fire engine and tripping over tearing the nail off my big toe.

Shaneus

Anyone know the best price for Bulletstorm on PC? I've noticed a CD key site (that I've dealt with before) selling it for $25, but as you need the original CD for the install I think I'd need to find... other means of obtaining it. Sucks, but eh.

Omikron

Fredescu said:
There is plenty of that, but there is also some discussion about the actual game. If you want to skip the worst, just don't read the start. I'm still the second highest poster in the first Dragon Age thread of which I read every single post, and it basically played out the exact same way. "Hail Evillore" "new shit lol" for a few pages and then general discussion of the game once it came out.

It is funny how fast the hate tends to dissipate once a game actually comes out and people actually play the damn thing.

That and the fact the trolls tend to disappear to another piece of prey.

Fredescu

Omi said:
It is funny how fast the hate tends to dissipate once a game actually comes out and people actually play the damn thing.

That and the fact the trolls tend to disappear to another piece of prey.
Also, there's not all that much to talk about before anyone has played it. Sure there's a demo, but there's also an active demo impressions thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom