• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernbaum

Halfway through my second play of Killzone 3, this time with the Move.

It really is awful.

- Most pointless cover system in a game ever - why did they even bother? Feel just as vulnerable behind cover as I do dancing about in the open.
- Does a terrible job of communicating whether shots against enemies in cover register or not.
- Gunplay lacks fluidity and rhythm - best results achieved by standing still and shooting enemies one by one. Gunplay feels like an on-rails shooter but you get to decide where to park your arse before picking off enemies.
- Walker mech is a clunky piece of shit.
- On-rails turret sections are messy, confusing and worst of all - boring.
- 'Stealth' section is pissweak - no diversity in how it can be approached and completely lacks any sort of tension. Also - magic space grass that makes you invisible in broad fucking daylight.
- Every gun feels the same, except they go pfffffffffffffffffffft at different rates.

I'm convinced the '3' in the title stands for BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS.

What about the story? Does it attain the magnificent bro-ey-ness of the previous entries?

Planet_JASE said:
1fDrR.gif

If either of you guys take this material on tour let me know.

If you think that someone's about to rape you, surely the last thing you want them to do is smile... :T ALSO, I pretty much match you're description; youngish
notanymore
, white, shaved head... just without the tracksuit.

And hey, she was the one wearing a hat and sunnies. At night, forfucksakes.
If you smile politely and nod your head then go back to ignoring the woman, she's less likely to see you as making a beeline for her.

Were you wearing clothes that suggested you have a respectable white-collar job? As we all know from watching A Current Affair, rapists don't wear suits or ties.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Bernbaum said:

It really is awful.

- Most pointless cover system in a game ever - why did they even bother? Feel just as vulnerable behind cover as I do dancing about in the open.
- Does a terrible job of communicating whether shots against enemies in cover register or not.
- Gunplay lacks fluidity and rhythm - best results achieved by standing still and shooting enemies one by one. Gunplay feels like an on-rails shooter but you get to decide where to park your arse before picking off enemies.
- 'Stealth' section is pissweak - no diversity in how it can be approached and completely lacks any sort of tension. Also - magic space grass that makes you invisible in broad fucking daylight.
- Every gun feels the same, except they go pfffffffffffffffffffft at different rates.

so killzone 2.1

Nemesis_

Bernbaum said:
That wiki really is great. I've been using it largely as a spoiler-free reference tome for the many subtle intricacies of the game, avoiding plot and character stuff. I'll have it loaded up on my MacBook beside me at all times while playing, it's almost part of the experience.

The Mass Effect 1/2 wiki is great too, although I didn't really pore through that until I wrapped up the second game.

You know what I want? A snazzy 'Codex' app for iPad that has all the codex entries presented in a whiz-bang super futuristic Star Trek style interface so that I can geek out and catch up on my Mass Effect infos.

Seriously looked into creating something like this for iOS, but didn't realise all the hoops I had to jump through. >_> Oh well. =(

Mush

Bernbaum said:

It really is awful.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Sooooooooooo glad I cancelled my order when the Multiplayer Beta came out and just rented it for the SP instead. But then again, had I known the game would have been that bad, I wouldn't have even bothered with that.

Salazar

viciouskillersquirrel said:
If you smile politely and nod your head then go back to ignoring the woman, she's less likely to see you as making a beeline for her.

Ugh. This thread is making me feel awful about my performance with the girl sat next to me at dinner tonight.

Cowardice as an art form.

markot

Banned
The first Killzone was a steaming pile of good graphics and terrible gameplay.... I dont get where the series got its 'OMGOMGOMG' from... it was always sub par with nice graphics. Well, maybe not sub but at least par. Always felt like sony guys were trying to turn it into their own halo, when it... just wasnt. The studio can make pretty graphics, but they need to work on the whole 'fun gameplay' thing that actually makes games memorable and enjoyable.

Bernbaum

Just wrapped up the 'Return to Ostagar' DLC for DA:O.

I meant to play the Stone Prisoner DLC, but triggered the wrong quest by accident. It played out much better than any of the story content thus far and did a good job of making it feel like a worthwhile part of the story whilst not necessarily being required gaming. I daresay BioWare learnt a few things about what worked in DA:O when they made that DLC, and I now wonder whether earlier DLC will be as good. Not too worried, as had I chosen to play that particular story later in the game, I'd have a hard time accepting that a corpse could be hung up that long and still look fresh.

The point is, I really like Dragon Age now.

Nemesis_

Bernbaum said:

I meant to play the Stone Prisoner DLC, but triggered the wrong quest by accident. It played out much better than any of the story content thus far and did a good job of making it feel like a worthwhile part of the story whilst not necessarily being required gaming. I daresay BioWare learnt a few things about what worked in DA:O when they made that DLC, and I now wonder whether earlier DLC will be as good. Not too worried, as had I chosen to play that particular story later in the game, I'd have a hard time accepting that a corpse could be hung up that long and still look fresh.

I always liked it. ^_^

Warden's Keep - A bit average but you might appreciate the Item Chest it introduces.

Stone Prisoner - I didn't like it that much but Shale is a great character so it's worth it.

Leliana's Song - I really liked the delving into the back story of Leliana, but if she's a character you don't really care for it's probably not worth it. Goes into a lot of the relationship between her and Marjolaine and her subsequent turning to the Chantry.

Darkspawn Chronicles - Pretty decent although it's really just a big WHAT IF scenario, and despite playing as Darkspawn the game's mechanics are not changed at all.

Golems of Amgarrak - Not really story heavy, although it is pretty much made for the hardcore with how fucking difficult it is. I have still yet to complete this one, though the lack of a compelling narrative makes me really reluctant to.

Witch Hunt - Biggest disappointment. Amazing sounding concept on paper, which was ruined for me by a relatively short quest line and a very stupid glitch that misread my original Origins save and as such gave me an ending that was not as consistent with what I did. Massive oversight by BioWare IMO

EDIT: Just found out that Witch Hunt was patched and works properly now. I also hear it saves the outcome of the "final encounter" following completion, which leads me to believe there may be some kind of rammification in Dragon Age II. >_> Speculation is fun!

Bernbaum said:

Are you playing on PC or console? I picked up Awakenings for $20 pre-owned from an ebgames for 360 and would rate it much higher than vanilla DA:O.

Big W having daily specials every day for the next 14 days. Will be interesting to how much Red Dead goes for tomorrow and what other games will go under the chop.

$44 unfortunately. It has been that price at EB and JB a few times now, still cheaper to import too. Hopefully they have a few other, non-casual games a good prices too.

Actually, I had stopped to catch my breath after an exertive, prolonged period of running (feeling the burn, eye of the tiger style). If anything, she was making a bee line for me. I felt threatened, I tell you. Having said that, if she did believe me to be a pervert, I'm sure the excessive sweating and heavy breathing wasn't helping.

Were you wearing clothes that suggested you have a respectable white-collar job? As we all know from watching A Current Affair, rapists don't wear suits or ties.

Tuxedo. Why, what do you wear whilst running?

Salazar said:
Ugh. This thread is making me feel awful about my performance with the girl sat next to me at dinner tonight.

Cowardice as an art form.

Never be ashamed of your mastery of an art form. There are some people that are able to just walk up to girls, talk to them and attain dates
and sweaty nudey time
with women. Oh how I pity those men. Where's the fun and sense of achievement if it's easy
answer: sweaty nudey time with women

Shaneus said:
Using that picture alone should be enough to bump you from Junior to full status. Bravo, sir.

Thank you, my fine gentleman. I have to stop myself from saying "Champagne Comedy" in real life - and holding up a non-existent glass and bottle of bubbly - in the same situations. Sadly, the knowledge of one of Australia's best comedy shows is not that great. A truly sad thing is that much of their best sketches and sections can never be released due to copyright issues. I would pay many, many, many real-life dollars to have a Complete Late Show Collection. Every show. In full.

Nemesis556 said:
Seriously looked into creating something like this for iOS, but didn't realise all the hoops I had to jump through. >_> Oh well. =(
Create a website targeted at mobile devices. Benefits? Cross-platform, lower barrier to development, only one "build" needed. Drawback? Harder to charge for it.

Stackboy

Planet_JASE said:
Having said that, it gives the confidence a bit of a kicking. Do I look like a rapist during the day, too?

Maybe she's had an experience previously at night time with some guy trying to rape her. Don't get butt hurt about strangers treating you badly.

Bernbaum

reptilescorpio said:
Are you playing on PC or console? I picked up Awakenings for $20 pre-owned from an ebgames for 360 and would rate it much higher than vanilla DA:O.

$44 unfortunately. It has been that price at EB and JB a few times now, still cheaper to import too. Hopefully they have a few other, non-casual games a good prices too.
Imma playing vanilla DA:O on the 360 but I have all the DLC including Awakenings and excluding the Feastday stuff installed. Awakenings doesn't change anything in the core game does it?

After playing through Fable, which I thought was alright but missed a lot of the stuff Molyneux talked up, I played through Fable 2 with a bit of apprehension and thought 90% of the game was pretty dull.

Not even $20 would be enough to get me to play Fable III...

Shaneus

jambo said:
Crysis 2 will ship DX9 only on PC, DX11 patched in at a later date.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.
Holy shit... what the hell are they thinking? Does that mean Warhead (or even the first Crysis) continue to be the sole system pushers (along with 2033)?

Agyar

Bernbaum said:
Imma playing vanilla DA:O on the 360 but I have all the DLC including Awakenings and excluding the Feastday stuff installed. Awakenings doesn't change anything in the core game does it?

It doesn't and it's outside of Origins in that you need to import a character save from Origins to play it.

In terms of the DLC, Stone Prisoner, Warden's Keep and Ostagar all take place within the Origins world map. The other pieces of DLC all require a save to be imported and some produce a save at the end which can then be imported into other DLC etc.

I really liked Stone Prisoner, Warden's Keep and Return to Ostagar. Awakening is also really good and is a sizable expansion. As mentioned, Witch Hunt provides an autosave at the end which is intended to be imported into Dragon Age 2. You can import a character from Origins, Awakening or Golems of Amgarrak (which is ok but exists in a bubble without any real story or character interaction). Darkspawn Chronicles is terrible and you should not even bother buying it unless you have some allards you really want to get rid of. It's buggy, half-baked, boring and forgettable.

Choc

Banned
So i am in brisvegas and i gotta say (currently in South Bank) you guys have cleaned this place up GOOD

be proud :)

rass

Megadrive said:
man i want to so badly. i downloaded the trial and love every second of it. i only have 40 points however.
can you gift moonbux™? I still have some I think and I'm selling my 360

Mar

Bernbaum said:
Pac-Man CE DX is 50% on XBLA right now. Buy it or I'll cut you.

I need this game, though even with the 50% off I don't believe I have the points.

I've been so stingy the last few months with gaming. I haven't bought anything for ages and my 'want to buy' list is getting out of control. I've hardly done any gaming either, as since moving to Newtown I end up going to the pub instead of playing a game most times.

IS THIS THE END OF VIDEO GAME?!

jambo

Further to the Crysis 2 DX9 news, the game won't have any graphics customisation, just 3 preset options, Gamer -> Advanced -> Hardcore.

facepalm.jpg

Agyar

Mar said:
I need this game, though even with the 50% off I don't believe I have the points.

I've been so stingy the last few months with gaming. I haven't bought anything for ages and my 'want to buy' list is getting out of control. I've hardly done any gaming either, as since moving to Newtown I end up going to the pub instead of playing a game most times.

IS THIS THE END OF VIDEO GAME?!

Dragon Age 2 soon, there are pubs inside the video game.

rass

rass said:
can you gift moonbux™? I still have some I think and I'm selling my 360
apparently you can not give away MS points.
I have 360 of them.
lame.
If anyone knows a way to give away the points, or use them to buy something for another account, then they can have 360 free moonbux.

Bernbaum

Agyar said:
Dragon Age 2 soon, there are pubs inside the video game.
Mar, see if you can take your 360 to the pub so you can be in a pub in a video game whilst in a pub.

BWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Must go deeper

Clipper

Bernbaum said:
Must go deeper
There must be some game that includes a pub with a playable game inside of it. Even if it's just a darts minigame or something.

That's playing a game in a pub in a game you are playing in a pub... I doubt you'll get further than that.

Rahk

Planet_JASE said:
Actually, I had stopped to catch my breath after an exertive, prolonged period of running (feeling the burn, eye of the tiger style). If anything, she was making a bee line for me. I felt threatened, I tell you. Having said that, if she did believe me to be a pervert, I'm sure the excessive sweating and heavy breathing wasn't helping.
You did say she crossed the street multiple times. What's the likelihood of crossing paths with someone so many times? I don't blame her since it is apparent that you were stalking her.

Cohsae

jambo said:
Further to the Crysis 2 DX9 news, the game won't have any graphics customisation, just 3 preset options, Gamer -> Advanced -> Hardcore.

facepalm.jpg
You're joking right? Like, seriously.

Clipper said:
There must be some game that includes a pub with a playable game inside of it. Even if it's just a darts minigame or something.

Fable 2 beer pouring and card games match that, anything further is too meta.

jambo said:

Crytek makes PC games FUCK YEAH PC! Massive config files, only on the PC. Yeah games! D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom