• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
HolyCheck said:
;_; I'm watching that and IEM..

3 way tie in sc2 = epics.

It's confusing having both on..
kjbss.gif

It applies to me too, so it's perfect.

If any of my fellow Aus-Gaffers are wanting to sell their iPad's in order to upgrade to iPad 2, let me know! Would prefer to do business with a Gaffer = )

3ur4zn said:
If any of my fellow Aus-Gaffers are wanting to sell their iPad's in order to upgrade to iPad 2, let me know! Would prefer to do business with a Gaffer = )
In somehow related news some shitty pub up in the Gold Coast gave my sister an iPad her first night of uni. They should have given her 2. So I could have one. She already has a laptop and an iPhone. Bullshit.

Cricket!In happier news how awesome was the Ireland v England match? O'Brien's 113 off 63 was stunning, always nice to see the English bowlers floundering.

If she ever asks, we were um... at a strip club or something.
You were totally hanging out with all the O'week scrags and smashin' down the jager. If my missus and boy were away for a weekend I would spend the entire time working through the backlog. Only taking breaks to replenish the supply of Red Rock Deli chips and scotch.

Mar said:
Ended up having 410 points, so just enough for PMCEDX.

Game is pretty great, though it feels kind of... too easy. It could have done without the bombs I think, there's no challenge to the game as it is.

Though it's nice to play a game and not feel annoyed at the end of the night.

For me, PMCEDX is about strategy and reflexes more than anything else. It's easy enough just to finish every level but that doesn't seem to be the point. The point is that you need to take the most efficient path each level to maximise your score. It's a constant battle between identifying the preordained order through the maze and your reflexes ability to negotiate it. I like it, a lot.

Mar said:
Yeah, should finally place my order with 365games. The only issue is that I keep adding other games I want and the total is well over $200 by the end. How do I force myself to not buy all these games I want that are cheap by themselves but in total make a large hole in my wallet?

firstworldproblems.com

You buy them in dribs and drabs over a course of time. It doesn't mean that you spend less money, it just doesn't feel like you are. That way you can spend large amount of money but feel better that you aren't slinging $200 at games in the one hit.

firstworldsolutions.com

Megadrive said:
I think I'm getting the hang of this game.

Funnily enough, that was the first game I used the GAF tag. So good on you, guys!

Wow, you're actually able to connect?!

I tried for like an hour last night and couldn't even register haha.. Constant timeouts.

-Deadpool- said:
Wow, you're actually able to connect?!

I tried for like an hour last night and couldn't even register haha.. Constant timeouts.
Trust me, i had my day-long issues of not being able to sign up, mycrysis being up, down, whatever. I managed to get it to create an account. Don't even bother putting in a real email, it doesn't matter and won't email you anything. Kritz and Aon had success using a crysis1 account also.

Megadrive said:
Trust me, i had my day-long issues of not being able to sign up, mycrysis being up, down, whatever. I managed to get it to create an account. Don't even bother putting in a real email, it doesn't matter and won't email you anything. Kritz and Aon had success using a crysis1 account also.

Ahh.. email problem was another thing too.

I'll try it again tonight. The tutorial/intro thing looked excellent.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I got to play the Crysis 2 MP demo last night as well and it wasn't all that bad. It did remind me of cod, which depending on what you like could be a good or bad thing.

Movement seemed a little off, I couldn't swing my mouse around like your standard FPS on a PC, It almost stopped at a certain point, slowed down and then kicked back in again. Very console like so that was off putting.

No one seems to be really using the powers all that much either. Not like there's a heck to use at the moment, Just point and shoot at people and pray for the most part.

Might try play along with some ausgaffers over the weekend. Might be a little more enjoyable.

Gazunta

New Jeff Minter game came out and Ella Morton tweeted about my comic that I put her in.

Great day or greatest day? I'll decide right now: GREATEST DAY.

Edit: Kritz you are the king of webcomics

legend166

squirrel, I bid on Muramasa.

I'm going to need to get Lego Indiana Jones from choc to reenable homebrew before I can play it, though D:

commissar

evlcookie said:
I got to play the Crysis 2 MP demo last night as well and it wasn't all that bad. It did remind me of cod, which depending on what you like could be a good or bad thing.

Movement seemed a little off, I couldn't swing my mouse around like your standard FPS on a PC, It almost stopped at a certain point, slowed down and then kicked back in again. Very console like so that was off putting.

No one seems to be really using the powers all that much either. Not like there's a heck to use at the moment, Just point and shoot at people and pray for the most part.

Might try play along with some ausgaffers over the weekend. Might be a little more enjoyable.
if you check the pc demo thread there's a .bat someone made which gets rid of mouse acceleration and some other things. widens the fov as well IIRC.

Seriously guys, some of the stuff is still going for a dollar and two games haven't seen any bids at all.

OH MY GOD! WE'RE HAVING A FIRE..... sale:

http://shop.ebay.com.au/vicious_killer_squirrel/m.html

Selling:

M-06 Guitar Chord Software (DS, JP)
Disgaea DS
Dragon Quest V DS
Okamiden
LoZ:OoT Master Quest
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
Okami PS2
De Blob
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
No More Heroes

Thought some of you might be interested.

Making some room and recovering some funds from my 3DS outlay. Some of these games are pretty niche or relevant only to the likes of GAF's interests, so I'm posting here for maximum raditude.

If you mention that you're AusGAF in your communications, I'll throw in free shipping.

giri

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Seriously guys, some of the stuff is still going for a dollar and two games haven't seen any bids at all.

OH MY GOD! WE'RE HAVING A FIRE..... sale:

http://shop.ebay.com.au/vicious_killer_squirrel/m.html

Selling:

M-06 Guitar Chord Software (DS, JP)
Disgaea DS
Dragon Quest V DS
Okamiden
LoZ:OoT Master Quest
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
Okami PS2
De Blob
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
No More Heroes

Thought some of you might be interested.

Making some room and recovering some funds from my 3DS outlay. Some of these games are pretty niche or relevant only to the likes of GAF's interests, so I'm posting here for maximum raditude.

If you mention that you're AusGAF in your communications, I'll throw in free shipping.
I would, but it's all nintendo stuff for the most. Don't own a DS or a wii.

Choc

Banned
so ipad 2

interesting design, that cover things a bit weird though.

if anyone doesn't mind being behind the game, ipads are slashed

16gig wifi is 449

3g 598

so you cant get 3G for less cost than the original wifi cost

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
iPad 2 isn't an interesting design choc, it's pretty stock standard for apple products. Chance the cover will cost money too haha, If it's free i would be surprised but hey you never know.

Yea the iPads have had a pretty decent slash in prices and there's still no word when AU will be getting the second generation. Nothing on the au apple store about a release date.

giri

Choc said:
so ipad 2

interesting design, that cover things a bit weird though.

if anyone doesn't mind being behind the game, ipads are slashed

16gig wifi is 449

3g 598

so you cant get 3G for less cost than the original wifi cost
When did the last ipad come out? seems like an awfully quick turn around.

Is there anything new with this one that would make someone who didn't get one last time go "must get" ?

Fredescu

Is it possible to use an iPad as your only source of internet? No PC/Mac/iTunes?

Edit: That's worded poorly, I'm sure it's technically possible to use the internet if you're using a 3G sim. I mean, can you download apps directly to the device?

Gazunta

Threw my hat in VKS's ring, so to speak.

Fred: You can install apps / music / video directly to your iPad through its version of iTunes and the AppStore. You still need to plug the iPad in at least once to your computer at the start to synchronise / set up. (And it's a good idea to plug it in / synch at least once a week anyway for backups)

The only time I really "need" to plug my iPad in to get files is with comic readers and importing PDFs into iBooks.

legend166

Gazunta said:
Threw my hat in VKS's ring, so to speak.

Fred: You can install apps / music / video directly to your iPad through its version of iTunes and the AppStore. You still need to plug the iPad in at least once to your computer at the start to synchronise / set up. (And it's a good idea to plug it in / synch at least once a week anyway for backups)

The only time I really "need" to plug my iPad in to get files is with comic readers and importing PDFs into iBooks.

So that was you who outbid me on Muramasa just now?

Pfft, and to think I tried to promote your comic

._.

Mar

Planet_JASE said:
For me, PMCEDX is about strategy and reflexes more than anything else. It's easy enough just to finish every level but that doesn't seem to be the point. The point is that you need to take the most efficient path each level to maximise your score. It's a constant battle between identifying the preordained order through the maze and your reflexes ability to negotiate it. I like it, a lot.

That is immediately apparent, but like I said, I think they shouldn't have included bombs because it's almost impossible to die in the game. Allowing the player to die would at least inject some sense of danger or urgency.

giri said:
When did the last ipad come out? seems like an awfully quick turn around.

Apple usually has a 1 year product refresh on most things. It makes sense as they don't have third parties continually pushing the hardware, as they do the hardware and software. So regular refreshes are required to stay ahead of the game.

It's kind of cool too because they drop prices on the older stuff. I'm thinking of jumping on the older ipads for 450... I really didn't like the 600+ price that it had before.

Omikron

Fredescu said:
Is it possible to use an iPad as your only source of internet? No PC/Mac/iTunes?

Edit: That's worded poorly, I'm sure it's technically possible to use the internet if you're using a 3G sim. I mean, can you download apps directly to the device?

I believe you can yes.

BTW> Steve Jobs looks super unwell :S

Mar said:
I think they shouldn't have included bombs because it's almost impossible to die in the game. Allowing the player to die would at least inject some sense of danger or urgency.

Y'know, there are times that I forget there are bombs in the game. I'll be trying to sneak my way out of a situation and then at the last moment it dawns on me... aaaah yeah, that's right - bomb them, you fucktard.

Sometimes that doesn't happen until I've actually died.

Because I'm stupid.

Mar

Planet_JASE said:
Y'know, there are times that I forget there are bombs in the game. I'll be trying to sneak my way out of a situation and then at the last moment it dawns on me... aaaah yeah, that's right - bomb them, you fucktard.

Sometimes that doesn't happen until I've actually died.

Because I'm stupid.

I keep turning the wrong ways. Need something more accurate than the 360 controller.

Mar said:
I keep turning the wrong ways. Need something more accurate than the 360 controller.

I fear for my directional pad while playing it. It get a pounding.

I think the down direction is slightly gimped on one of my controllers because of that game.

giri

Mar said:
It's kind of cool too because they drop prices on the older stuff. I'm thinking of jumping on the older ipads for 450... I really didn't like the 600+ price that it had before.
I still don't get what the hell you'd use it for. I think about it, and... Watch videos? PC would be faster and easier to type on, and while they load i can piss about in irc / post on gaf.

Read websites? eh, maybe, but see above.

Read books? i still tend to buy paper versions.

I'm not saying it out of apple hate, i don't get why anyone needs/would use a tablet.

Want to watch stuff on the lounge? stream it to your tv.

giri said:
I still don't get what the hell you'd use it for.
iPad is for consuming content. It's for browsing websites, watching Youtube (or TV while out and about), listening to music, playing games while on the train, etc.

If you want to create or participate, it's probably not as good. It has its uses, and if you think "yes, I can do that on my netbook", you're probably missing the point. They're a nice, easy, tactile device to use. And I don't have one either.

Fredescu

giri said:
I'm not saying it out of apple hate, i don't get why anyone needs/would use a tablet.
It's mostly for people that want to do PC stuff in places where they don't want to dedicate the space to a PC. Even laptops are cumbersome, especially on the couch. So your choices are netbook or tablet. The netbook sacrifices screensize for ease of composition, but most people would take ease of reading over ease of typing.

Choc

Banned
the ipad is brilliant on airplanes

read the new edge almost cover to cover on my flight the other day, and it was simple.

Agyar

Mar said:

I need to play more of Pacman CE DX, played two levels when it released with the pad but I'm going to play it more with my arcade stick. Speaking of which, with MvC 3, Deathsmiles and Pacman all getting attention on my 360 at the moment, a new arcade stick is definitely back on the cards.

I'd love to get a Madcatz TE but the new Qanba sticks that are supposed to be available later this month are very tempting. All Sanwa parts, custom PCB that is 360/PS3/PC compatible out of the box and shipping for about $175 inc. postage (compared to about $200 for a TE from Playasia).

Nemesis_

Stackboy said:
Sounds like WB is trying to get Mortal Kombat's RC overturned. Good on them.

They're highlighting the other games that are just as bad, if not worse, that have been let through.

I don't know if that's a good strategy to take though. >_>

Choc

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
They're highlighting the other games that are just as bad, if not worse, that have been let through.

same argument as AVP, worked last time.

the most amazing/fucked thing about our classification system, is that it is the only legal jurisdiction in Australia where precedents are not allowed to be considered and submitted

anyone pick up Fight Night? Do you like it?

Nemesis556 said:
If a precedent has been set, it's a good strategy to use. They don't usually go back and reclassify stuff.

Choc said:
where precedents are not allowed to be considered and submitted
Wait, so they can't use precedents to get stuff to sneak through? WTF?

Choc

Banned
correct. It specifically mentions in the notes to publishers etc that previous decisions can not and will not affect current decisions

this is actually specified in the act. The reason is that the classification board of the day is supposed to be in line with community expectations. That is, it can be expected over time that the balance of society and what is and is not acceptable will change and thus no new legislation is required when the social fabric changes

in theory its a great idea, in practice, it punishes those who are scape goated.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Damn Thai deli, Why must you be so tasty. I shouldn't have eaten it all today, My goal was to keep some for tomorrows lunch but that didn't go so well.

Yea choc it's the 25th, So that gives me some breathing room although i feel for the guys out the front in retail. People are always going bananas over the fucking thing, People are crazy.

Choc said:
same argument as AVP, worked last time.

the most amazing/fucked thing about our classification system, is that it is the only legal jurisdiction in Australia where precedents are not allowed to be considered and submitted

anyone pick up Fight Night? Do you like it?

You have to love the arrogance or stupidity (take your pick or combine, if necessary) of that.

"Classification Denied"

"Why? Our game is highly stylized, over-the-top, almost comical violence which is so exaggerated that no one could replicate it. But this game from last year has realistic portrayals of people being tortured, puppies getting kicked, children roasted and kitten's used as projectiles."

"No we didn't."

"You did."

"'fraid not"

"It's one of our freaking games! It's on the shelf. Now. Right now. You can buy it. Here, here's a copy. See the classification sticker? Here's your report with your rating decision. Why would you let that one through but not this one?"

"... Classification denied!"

Choc

Banned
i think the COB erred in their original decision anyway and that is why i think WBIE has appealed.

if you read the report it says and i quote 'although the violence is within context and the universe clearly fantasy....'

bang thats it. Under our laws if the violence can be classified as within context and a fantasy world and suitable to the universe, the game is supposed to be MA15+

Choc said:

It's the same as the MPAA's film ratings. Both are shitty systems that use the cry of "wont somebody think of the children" to continue there current state of existance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom