• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

giri

Fredescu said:
It's mostly for people that want to do PC stuff in places where they don't want to dedicate the space to a PC. Even laptops are cumbersome, especially on the couch. So your choices are netbook or tablet. The netbook sacrifices screensize for ease of composition, but most people would take ease of reading over ease of typing.
What PC stuff? read your emails? Sounds cumbersome to type on it. Read websites? so it's basically a $600 news paper? watch a tv show on the couch? stream it to your tv from the PC.

If you want to do anything that requires communication (other than voice) it seems the more cumbersome option.

codswallop said:
iPad is for consuming content. It's for browsing websites, watching Youtube (or TV while out and about), listening to music, playing games while on the train, etc.

If you want to create or participate, it's probably not as good. It has its uses, and if you think "yes, I can do that on my netbook", you're probably missing the point. They're a nice, easy, tactile device to use. And I don't have one either.

I get that, and thats about all the argument that abounds for it, except for one thing. On the train, isn't just using your mobile FAR more convenient. One device, one bill, and they do all of that? I read full books on mobile on the bus to and from work. And then i can put it in my pocket and off i go. Don't have to have a seperate case, or worry about breaking the screen, or taking it out/putting it back in my bag...

I dunno, i just still can't seem to get why they have a corner of the market. It seems more like consumerism for consumerisms sake. I can understand smart phones, i have one. They're basically portable computers that are genuinely portable to any and everywhere, and improved an existing product.

Gazunta

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud_001.jpg

Giri, I used to be like you. Then I owned one.

As I've said a few times so far in this thread, I've barely turned my 360 on since I got the iPad. Maybe it's different for you young folk with your rock and roll bachelor lifestyles, but I just don't like forcing everyone in the house to watch me play a video game / watch Simpsons on the TV.

Anyway.

Speaking of classification, did anything happen to that 'All Apps have to be rated by the classification folks before you can buy them in Australia' thing that was floating around a few months back?

Gazunta said:
Speaking of classification, did anything happen to that 'All Apps have to be rated by the classification folks before you can buy them in Australia' thing that was floating around a few months back?

I haven't heard anything more about it, but then again I haven't been actively searching for more news. I rekcon they just said it to appear relevent and realised that it would have cost them so much time to do it.

Fredescu

giri said:
What PC stuff? read your emails? Sounds cumbersome to type on it. Read websites? so it's basically a $600 news paper? watch a tv show on the couch? stream it to your tv from the PC.
Emails? Pfft. Email is dead. The people that need it for business have a Blackberry already. The new consumer media requires far less input. Most people don't want to have multi paragraph internet arguments. The most they want to type is some vapid bullshit on facebook or twitter.

If you bought hardcopies of all the media available on the iPad, it would probably cost more than $600. So I guess it's an ok deal.

The TV isn't portable at all, you can't sit outside in the sun and use it, or lie in bed and use it.

giri

Fredescu said:
Emails? Pfft. Email is dead. The people that need it for business have a Blackberry already. The new consumer media requires far less input. Most people don't want to have multi paragraph internet arguments. The most they want to type is some vapid bullshit on facebook or twitter.

If you bought hardcopies of all the media available on the iPad, it would probably cost more than $600. So I guess it's an ok deal.

The TV isn't portable at all, you can't sit outside in the sun and use it, or lie in bed and use it.
You can lay down infront of the TV. And i don't really want to watch that much stuff on that small a screen, when i could on my TV.

The hard copy argument is sort of vapid, you pay for a fair chunk of content that you buy hard copies of. The only thing you don't is newspapers.

And Gaz, yeah, single, so i get to control the TV. WOO!

And none of these devices are great in the sun. But you could do that with any book/mag you had.

/me shrug.

Choc

Banned
you ca nget it on a pc but whats the point

sorry i should elaborate

the subscriptions are done through zinio.com

the PC software tehy use is shite to say the least

the ipad and iphone versions are very good as is android

Agyar

Gazunta said:

It's one of those arguments that gets thrown into the mix every time classification review is discussed. I don't believe there is any particular push to make that happen but if and when a serious classification review is undertaken, I'm sure that "gap" will be focused on by disgruntled conversatives that think a classification review is for making sure everything ever has been classified.

Mar

giri said:
I still don't get what the hell you'd use it for. I think about it, and... Watch videos? PC would be faster and easier to type on, and while they load i can piss about in irc / post on gaf.

Read websites? eh, maybe, but see above.

Read books? i still tend to buy paper versions.

I'm not saying it out of apple hate, i don't get why anyone needs/would use a tablet.

Want to watch stuff on the lounge? stream it to your tv.

Which is why I haven't bought one yet, I hadn't seen a use for one either. But now that I've got a digital subscription to Edge, and with Games TM, Retro Gamer also available, I'm more open to the idea.

Though the price is still exorbitant for an electronic magazine reader. But the convenience...

giri said:
Is that just a digital subscription, or specifically limited to tablets?

Digital subscription where you can download to all your devices. There's a client for Windows, Mac, iPad, iPhone. Besides that, you download them as pdfs and can move them to anything.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The only use the iPad at our joint has is for my old man to sit on the couch and piss fart around on while they watch tv. Twitter, Mac forums, Random clips are pretty much all he uses it for these days along with the random game.

It's essentially just a replacement laptop but without the real app power, which is what he uses the iMac for.

giri

evlcookie said:
The only use the iPad at our joint has is for my old man to sit on the couch and piss fart around on while they watch tv. Twitter, Mac forums, Random clips are pretty much all he uses it for these days along with the random game.

It's essentially just a replacement laptop but without the real app power, which is what he uses the iMac for.
They don't even seem that portable to me. As in, i'm not sure i'd want to be carring one around in my bag. Are they as heavy as they look?

Salazar

giri said:
They don't even seem that portable to me. As in, i'm not sure i'd want to be carring one around in my bag. Are they as heavy as they look?

Goes fine in my bag. Great for comics and games. Couldn't be happier.

giri said:
The are heavier than I would have expected, but hardly "heavy". A growing number of people who frequently attend meetings seem to be gravitating towards using iPads for reading meeting-related documents, short note-taking and the like. A lot more convenient than a laptop, plus the battery life etc are pretty good. The case protects the screen well enough and is a little stand, which is pretty convenient too.

evl's usage example is what I'd consider a pretty common scenario for iPads.

giri

Salazar said:
List the Gold Coast pubs that aren't shitty.
Hater. There's plenty of ok places to go for a pint on the coast.

I don't remember their names, but that speaks to their quality!

hamchan

I do all the stuff y'all say the iPad is useful for on my iPhone. I suppose it really is a big iPod touch and while that sounds good it's not worth a high price to me. I'll see how cheap the first iPad gets when iPad 2 comes out.

jambo

The iPad isn't heavy at all, it's like 700 grams.

And I use mine 2-3 hours a day, almost every day. I use it on the couch to surf the web, at work for meetings and email and on the bus or on my bed to read comics and graphic novels.

I have a few ebooks on it as well, as well as a bunch of music.

I also have all of my holiday photos and videos on it, so whenever people want to have a look they can pass it around and zoom in on photos really easily.

Games are great fun too, some really good ones like Osmos, Monkey Island, Pixelogic, SimCity and Pinball.

I don't like laptops (Touchpads can burn in hell), but I always wanted a more mobile device than my desktop, so the iPad was a no brainer for me. I also love touchscreen technology and to finally see it in an affordable device with tens of thousands of apps is awesome!

hamchan said:
I do all the stuff y'all say the iPad is useful for on my iPhone. I suppose it really is a big iPod touch and while that sounds good it's not worth a high price to me. I'll see how cheap the first iPad gets when iPad 2 comes out.
Bingo, I see it as a giant ipod touch. Once it gets some apps that I can see myself spending a lot of time with (like the previously mentioned ME2 codex) I would look into buying one instead of a laptop. Or when I have stupid amounts of disposable income lying around. The concept is good, a more comfortable laptop, but it still costs folding money :(

Does it run ScummVM? I also have many .cbr and .pdf files gotten through legitimate means. Would an iPad allow me to use them or is it a locked platform in terms content?

jambo

All of my comics are in CBR and CBZ format and ComicZeal reads them beautifully.

As for PDFs, you can read them with iBooks or any other app that can read PDFs. There are tons.

Bernbaum said:
I will buy an iPad 2.
I really shouldn't have checked out the apple site for it. Looks so damn sexy and that new cover looks awesome. Thankfully it will cost much more than I can plop down on impulse. For now. The fact I can read all my comics and self help books is a huge plus.

Choc

Banned
Megadrive said:
iPads are stupid. I at least get why someone might buy an iPhone.

when you get a job and have to carry a laptop fucking everywhere you will understand why this is a dumb statement.

Choc said:
when you get a job and have to carry a laptop fucking everywhere you will understand why this is a dumb statement.
Burn?

But seriously laptops have gotten really powerful and some are small and light enough that I wouldn't mind lugging them around. Some of the netbooks I've seen at uni have made me think about picking one up for on the couch/bed.

Choc said:

Ahuh. Mr executive with his fancy toys. I carried a laptop every day to the city and back, to friends houses, everywhere I went last year. I didn't complain once. Your point? Youre a fucking crybaby. Get over the fact not everyone thinks iPads are the fucking cure for cancer.

reptilescorpio said:
Burn?

But seriously laptops have gotten really powerful and some are small and light enough that I wouldn't mind lugging them around. Some of the netbooks I've seen at uni have made me think about picking one up for on the couch/bed.

Only because I'm insulting his favourite toy.

Choc

Banned
actually i was originally not a fan at all, i was like giant ipod touch

its not until you really use one day to day that you realise how useful they can be

and im not just talking ipads, pretty much any (capacitive touch) tablet

resistive is not so good

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
all I see here is someone asking "why would someone buy an iPad (insulting comment)", "this is why someone would buy an iPad (insulting comment)"

as of that moment the douchedom was in balance. be a douche and you beget douchindom.

Cohsae

Rez said:
all I see here is someone asking "why would someone buy an iPad (insulting comment)", "this is why someone would buy an iPad (insulting comment)"

as of that moment the douchedom was in balance. be a douche and you beget douchindom.
Douche unto others as you would have them douche unto you.

Bernbaum

Been out all day so I'm sitting down with a frosty Stella and watching the typically opium-induced marketing video from Apple for the iPad 2 whilst I eat a whole fucking packet of barbecue beef jerky.

Don't care for the cameras, but I am getting all up that goodness day one.

jambo

Rez said:

I did not douche, my post is douche free.

Bernbaum said:
Been out all day so I'm sitting down with a frosty Stella

Wife beating juice! =P

At this point, some lucky person is going to get Okamiden, M06 and Metroid Prime for just over a dollar each. Bid! Also, Disgaea DS for like $2.50

OH MY GOD! WE'RE HAVING A FIRE..... sale:

http://shop.ebay.com.au/vicious_killer_squirrel/m.html

Selling:

M-06 Guitar Chord Software (DS, JP)
Disgaea DS
Dragon Quest V DS
Okamiden
LoZ:OoT Master Quest
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
Okami PS2
De Blob
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
No More Heroes

Thought some of you might be interested.

Making some room and recovering some funds from my 3DS outlay. Some of these games are pretty niche or relevant only to the likes of GAF's interests, so I'm posting here for maximum raditude.

If you mention that you're AusGAF in your communications, I'll throw in free shipping. FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY, IF YOU BUY MORE THAN ONE ITEM I'LL TAKE 90% FURTHER OFF SHIPPING

giri

jambo said:
The iPad isn't heavy at all, it's like 700 grams.

And I use mine 2-3 hours a day, almost every day. I use it on the couch to surf the web, at work for meetings and email and on the bus or on my bed to read comics and graphic novels.

I have a few ebooks on it as well, as well as a bunch of music.

I also have all of my holiday photos and videos on it, so whenever people want to have a look they can pass it around and zoom in on photos really easily.

Games are great fun too, some really good ones like Osmos, Monkey Island, Pixelogic, SimCity and Pinball.

I don't like laptops (Touchpads can burn in hell), but I always wanted a more mobile device than my desktop, so the iPad was a no brainer for me. I also love touchscreen technology and to finally see it in an affordable device with tens of thousands of apps is awesome!

See, at my work, if you whipped out your ipad to check your home email, you'd be told to put it away and do some work. I dunno everything you say there sounds like what you'd be almost better off using the...

hamchan said:

Or similar. Except the photo sharing i guess.

Choc said:

I don't get it, you're basically carrying around a laptop, without a keyboard.

reptilescorpio said:
Bingo, I see it as a giant ipod touch. Once it gets some apps that I can see myself spending a lot of time with (like the previously mentioned ME2 codex) I would look into buying one instead of a laptop. Or when I have stupid amounts of disposable income lying around. The concept is good, a more comfortable laptop, but it still costs folding money :(

Does it run ScummVM? I also have many .cbr and .pdf files gotten through legitimate means. Would an iPad allow me to use them or is it a locked platform in terms content?
Same, i guess.

I'll drop the topic, i don't want it to degenerate into a apple hate fest, just.. to me, everything they do seems to be done better by existing tech, except as a reader, but even then, smart phones are fine for books in any situation where you're travelling, and seem more convenient to me.

jambo

giri said:
See, at my work, if you whipped out your ipad to check your home email, you'd be told to put it away and do some work. I dunno everything you say there sounds like what you'd be almost better off using the...
Work email, to check work email.

And to take notes in meetings and if someone needs to Google something it comes in handy.

Everyone at work loves it.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
At this point, some lucky person is going to get Okamiden, M06 and Metroid Prime for just over a dollar each. Bid! Also, Disgaea DS for like $2.50

If you mention that you're AusGAF in your communications, I'll throw in free shipping. FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY, IF YOU BUY MORE THAN ONE ITEM I'LL TAKE 90% FURTHER OFF SHIPPING
Only if you throw in another 80% off shipping. Someone seriously bid $1.05 on Metroid. That is just silly talk.

Just started playing Bloodstone and it isn't half bad for a rushed coverjob for a Bond movie. Very linear and cribs a lot from better games and the graphics suck and the writing is garbage and the driving is irritating but it's an okay way to extend the franchise. You could certainly find worse ways to spend 5 hours or so.

Bernbaum

giri said:
You work in China?

This is AusGAF, as in, Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom