• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Heh, I actually quite enjoyed the Crysis 2 demo.... Looks and runs much better than BLOPS on my rig. Suit powers are actually pretty damn awesome. Managed to get a big enough kill streak to summon that giant laser thing and it looked beautiful. I think I'm addicted to it lol.
Skyline map is good, Pier 17 is not.

hamchan said:
Heh, I actually quite enjoyed the Crysis 2 demo.... Looks and runs much better than BLOPS on my rig. Suit powers are actually pretty damn awesome. Managed to get a big enough kill streak to summon that giant laser thing and it looked beautiful. I think I'm addicted to it lol.
Skyline map is good, Pier 17 is not.

100% agreeance with this post. Pier 17 is too large and wide open for the suit powers to be useful in any way, and can be a snipers paradise.

The game mode I like is the king of the hill-like one. with the alien pods.

hamchan

Megadrive said:
100% agreeance with this post. Pier 17 is too large and wide open for the suit powers to be useful in any way, and can be a snipers paradise.

The game mode I like is the king of the hill-like one. with the alien pods.

Yeah domination gametypes are always more interesting than just straight up TDM. I also like how the pods explode when their points are sucked dry.

hamchan said:
Yeah domination gametypes are always more interesting than just straight up TDM. I also like how the pods explode when their points are sucked dry.

The one bit I don't like about Skyline (though possibly by my own stupidness) is the one part of the level you think you can make the jump with, but always fall to your death. It's going up towards the helipad area, under the greenhouse. Oh my god I have died there at least once a game.

Edit: I also realised what my sticky-keys issue was. My Xbox360 controller was plugged in and moving/vibrating about and Crysis 2 auto-detects and changes the control scheme when it realises the Xbox controller is doing things. So yeah. Whoops.

hamchan said:
All your bids will come in the last minute.
You are a soothsayer good sir. Now I have ended up with my 3rd copy of Muramasa, which is awesome in my book. Should have made a higher bid on Okamiz though, damn snipers

The one bit I don't like about Skyline (though possibly by my own stupidness) is the one part of the level you think you can make the jump with, but always fall to your death. It's going up towards the helipad area, under the greenhouse. Oh my god I have died there at least once a game..
Thats bad level design for a multiplayer level though. You should be able to run around the level and easily tell if the environment can hurt you.

reptilescorpio said:
You are a soothsayer good sir. Now I have ended up with my 3rd copy of Muramasa, which is awesome in my book. Should have made a higher bid on Okamiz though, damn snipers

Thats bad level design for a multiplayer level though. You should be able to run around the level and easily tell if the environment can hurt you.
Send me a message on eBay that you're AusGAF. That way, I can keep track in my spreadsheet of what to send where (there's like 14 items).

reptilescorpio said:
You are a soothsayer good sir. Now I have ended up with my 3rd copy of Muramasa, which is awesome in my book. Should have made a higher bid on Okamiz though, damn snipers.
JBidWatcher FTW (I didn't bid on any of those items).

Just watched the trailer for Dead Island. I don't watch many trailers for games - so my opinion on this subject is by no means authoritative - but this one was very impressive.

Initially this was down to the music in the trailer. Melancholy, haunting, yet beautiful and slowly building with more emotion. I applaud the developer's bold choice to pair slow, laconic music to the imagery of vacationing family's fight for survival.

Most of the events occur in reverse, which means that you slowly build up an awareness of what has transpired and don't fully comprehend the weight of the imagery until later into the trailer. It's a good way to immediately grab the viewers attention and then allowing themselves time to explain why the events should mean something to them.

Overall I was very impressed; does this mean that I'll buy the game? I don't know. The disappointing thing is that the game is essentially a FPS "with a heavy focus on melee combat, character development and customization of a vast array of weapons." It also states that "All of these gameplay features are presented in a dark story inspired by classic zombie movies with a gritty and engrossing campaign that can be played with up to 4 players in co-op mode." Why is this a concern?

Firstly, I'm not big on FPSs. I've played them, just not that much. I'm not sure if it's my hands, my brain, or the fact that I haven't played them much but I don't seem to do well in them. As soon as the pressure builds by accuracy goes out the window, I have trouble locating where the attack is coming from and not long after that my POV is on the floor and the screen is red. Fallout's VATS system is what saved that for me. Yay, slowdown!

The description and some of the accompanying screenshots of the game seems to be slightly at odds with the trailer and the mood it paints. The trailer creates the impression that this is more of a personal story; a game where perhaps the focus would be on character development, interpersonal interactions and survival. The screenshots and copy, however makes me think this is just going to be a L4D style game. I also get the feeling that the characters in the footage are not going to be who you play as which would be a huge disappointment.

Hopefully I'm wrong and there's a brilliantly FPS Survival Horror Character Driven game on the horizon; somehow, I doubt it.

Planet_JASE said:
Firstly, I'm not big on FPSs. I've played them, just not that much. I'm not sure if it's my hands, my brain, or the fact that I haven't played them much but I don't seem to do well in them.
Have you played Left 4 Dead? Accuracy is not so much required because there are usually large crowds of enemies. Particularly with melee weapons, you can just aim and mash.

Kritz

Banned
By the screenshots it looks like Dead Rising.

Yo, I already played Dead Rising. Two of them, in fact. I don't really need another one in my life so soon. Especially one that isn't called Dead Rising 3.

I hope it's not Dead Rising 2, looked to me like it had a bit more promise than that.

DR2 was one of the worst games I played last year.

Mar

codswallop said:
Have you played Left 4 Dead? Accuracy is not so much required because there are usually large crowds of enemies. Particularly with melee weapons, you can just aim and mash.

Did you seriously just recommend one of the hardest co-op fps games in the world to a person who admitted he isn't so great with them? Golfham.

Kritz said:
By the screenshots it looks like Dead Rising.

Yo, I already played Dead Rising. Two of them, in fact. I don't really need another one in my life so soon. Especially one that isn't called Dead Rising 3.

Watch the trailer. It's probably the second best trailer for a video game ever produced. Which most likely means the game will be nothing like it... But still. It's awesome.

Mar said:
Did you seriously just recommend one of the hardest co-op fps games in the world to a person who admitted he isn't so great with them? Golfham.
I'm not particularly good at FPS games, on lower levels with melee it's great fun. I don't give a crap if I don't finish it as long as I enjoy the time in-game. I'm saying it doesn't require a lot of accuracy to enjoy.

On higher levels in Realism mode, it's bloody tough.

Aon

Is anyone else incredibly excited for that iOS release of Another World?
The opening few minutes of that game are really something, so being able to just show them to someone during ten minutes of downtime or whatever seems amazing to me.

Mar

codswallop said:
I'm not particularly good at FPS games, on lower levels with melee it's great fun. I don't give a crap if I don't finish it as long as I enjoy the time in-game. I'm saying it doesn't require a lot of accuracy to enjoy.

On higher levels in Realism mode, it's bloody tough.

Well, I guess if you play it on easy you can run from the start to the end without even looking back. But I'd hardly call that a game.

Finishing all campaigns on Expert with my friends is one of the hardest things I've ever done in gaming.

Omikron

Mar said:
Well, I guess if you play it on easy you can run from the start to the end without even looking back. But I'd hardly call that a game.

Finishing all campaigns on Expert with my friends is one of the hardest things I've ever done in gaming.

And immensely satisfying once completed. :)

The comment by codswallop that accuracy is unimportant is bullshit once you are playing on either Advanced or Expert. And even more so when using realism.

Jintor

-Deadpool- said:
I hope it's not Dead Rising 2, looked to me like it had a bit more promise than that.

DR2 was one of the worst games I played last year.

You must have played a lot of great games last year

So I have a GAME voucher that needs to be used in the next week.

I'm tossing up between Bulletstorm, Kirby or a preorder for Homefront.

I'm leaning towards Bulletstorm, but need a bit of convincing. I didn't love the demo, thought it was a bit too dudebro. I know that's the point, I don't mind the dicktits stuff as long as there is a bit of an interesting story.

Or should I just get Kirby and smother myself in cute? I need to make a decision cos if I go in to buy without making a decision I'll just end up with both, which I really shouldn't do.

first world problems etc

Agyar

BanShunsaku said:
I'm leaning towards Bulletstorm, but need a bit of convincing. I didn't love the demo, thought it was a bit too dudebro. I know that's the point, I don't mind the dicktits stuff as long as there is a bit of an interesting story.

The "dude bro" stuff is fairly tongue in cheek from what I've seen. There's just a lot of hate from GAF japanophiles who aren't going to buy it anyway because they said naughty words and weren't kawaii enough.

Omikron

Mar said:
I loved Zelda back when I played it in the 90s. The problem is they keep making the same game.

;)

Is true to an extent, just because it is roughly the same game cut from the same mold, doesn't make it necessarily a bad game.... that said I am sorta with you. I enjoy them, but not as much as when I was 14 or so and playing my 64.

Meanwhile... rather big news if you like fantasy books. A Dance With Dragons has a release date.

Agyar

Omi said:
You must really hate video games to hate on Zelda.

I will never understand why Nintendo gets a free pass to release the same games over and over again for thirty years.

Bring it, nerds.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Enslaved was a surprisingly good ride. I really appreciate what they did by pairing the entire game world to two. maybe threeish, characters.

There's some obvious flaws which I won't go over because they're immediately apparent, but in all I really appreciated it.

Omikron

Agyar said:
I will never understand why Nintendo gets a free pass to release the same games over and over again for thirty years.

Bring it, nerds.

Because their games are genuinely fun for the most part? :)

Fredescu

Agyar said:

Bring it, nerds.
I will bring it. It has only been 14 years since OoT. They have only been releasing the same Zelda over and over for 14 years. So there. Also, I guess it's intended as irony, but calling people nerds on a video game message board seems a bit redundant. So there also!

I too am bored of Zelda. The dungeons are usually good but they always have the shittiest pacing. I enjoyed 3D Dot Game Heroes more than Twilight Princess or anything since.

Gazunta

THERE'S A NEW ZELDA GA oh I can't even be arsed to finish that sentence I just don't care.

Haven't finished a Zelda game since LttP. It's one of the greatest games ever made. I just don't have the time for those kinds of games any more. Every one of my Zelda games since I've really tried - REALLY tried - to love, but I end up reloading a save file and have no idea what I'm meant to be doing, realising I need to spend ten minutes riding a horse / sailing a boat / sitting on a train to get to the next bit. And then I just give up and play something else.

...I have no idea what 75% of the games people talk about on GAF are any more.

legend166

I think Zelda is the only franchise where Nintendo makes the same game. And as Fred said, it's only really since OoT. And even then, Majora's Mask was incredibly unique and Wind Waker felt very different. So really, they made Twilight Princess which was a lot like OoT. 10 years later.

If anything, Nintendo seems to get held to this weird standard where if they release a straight up sequel they get criticised for it a lot.

We really know very, very little about Skyward Sword at this stage, and it's bizarre people are essentially writing it off completely. They've shown some trailers highlighting the motion plus stuff, and that's about it.

Gazunta

I think it's more to the point that I own four or five Zelda games already, I really don't care that a new one is coming. I think I can say the same for every other franchise.

I never really cared about Mario Galaxy either

legend166

Gazunta said:
I think it's more to the point that I own four or five Zelda games already, I really don't care that a new one is coming. I think I can say the same for every other franchise.

I never really cared about Mario Galaxy either

That's a shame. You're really missing out on one of the most inventive games of the last 5 years.

I've always thought the way people defined 'innovation' and how it seems directly tied to whether something is a new IP is flawed. No doubt, it's probably easier to innovative with a new IP, because you're not tied down to franchise standards or whatever. Zelda, I think, has that problem. I don't think that problem exists with Mario at all. They basically make whatever they want to make and wrap Mario around it. Galaxy has more new ideas in one level than something like Darksiders, which is essentially Ocarina of Time with an unnecessarily violent skin. And it got praised for being like that.

Bernbaum

In a few years time, I will have no choice but to have to scale back the volume of games and hardware that I buy and consume.

I fully accept the reality of this and am prepared for a single-console gaming commitment.

That commitment will be to the Nintendo platform and the complement of excellent first-party franchises that come with the brand.

When I hear 'video games' I think of Nintendo and all the wonderful experiences they have given me. I dipped my toes outside of the familiar with the first Xbox, and have become an accomplished cross-platform gamer in the years since, but every non-Nintendo game I've played seems like a mere curiosity to me, and slightly removed from the values I hold dear as a gamer.

Omi said:
And immensely satisfying once completed. :)

The comment by codswallop that accuracy is unimportant is bullshit once you are playing on either Advanced or Expert. And even more so when using realism.
Of course. I was trying to encourage a self-confessed FPS-noob get more enjoyment out of games. Sure, winning on challenging levels is gratifying, but if it's far too hard why not set a game's difficultly level lower so you can, you know, actually enjoy it?

I no longer am concerned with being able to brag that I beat a particular game on a more difficult level, and am instead happy to enjoy games at a level I find challenging. Whether that's on Veteran in COD, or easy in Dragon Age, I don't really care, as long as I enjoy the game.

Mar said:
I loved Zelda back when I played it in the 90s. The problem is they keep making the same game.
I agree 100% with this statement. There's almost no innovation with the past few Zelda games. They can do it with Mario, why not Zelda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom