• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clipper

Stackboy said:
So is it going to be possible to import MK and if so which online store would be best to order from?
Technically, it's illegal for you to attempt it, so be prepared to face any consequences.

As stated though, 365games is still shipping it to Australia (as stated by Agyar), as is Amazon US.

hamchan

I can understand Steam not letting you play the game that was chargebacked but banning you from playing every single you game you own is so very fucked up.

Clipper

evlcookie said:
Maybe.

I sent an email to valve regarding the updated situation and they sent back the usual response, I need to fill out an affidavit that clearly states that they were unable to withdraw the chargeback and more importantly that the chargeback was not due to the credit card being used fraudulently. I have to fax that shit off to valve and their wacky number.

I honestly can't see that happening, Do we even have affidavits in AUS and would they even be legal in the US?

The bank is going to tell me that me xyz and then valve is going to say affidavit up the ass. I think i'm officially screwed, It will just keep going back and forth between the two.

I'm going to reply with a) I'm in AUS and not the US so i'm not too sure if an affidavit will work and b) give me my group access to my new account.
We do have affidavits in Australia. You'll basically need to see a Justice of the Peace to get them to witness your signature of whatever you write.

JPs generally should volunteer their services, so you shouldn't need to pay them. If you don't have a JP at your workplace/Uni/whatever, then search for the "JPs in the Community" program within your city/state.

Mar

Clipper said:
Technically, it's illegal for you to attempt it, so be prepared to face any consequences.

As stated though, 365games is still shipping it to Australia (as stated by Agyar), as is Amazon US.

I'm enjoying the fact that this will potentially have a flow on effect. A lot of people that had never before imported video games will suddenly realize we are getting ripped off here and they can buy games for half the price from overseas.

Australian retailers and publishers can die in a fire.

legend166

evlcookie said:
Maybe.

I sent an email to valve regarding the updated situation and they sent back the usual response, I need to fill out an affidavit that clearly states that they were unable to withdraw the chargeback and more importantly that the chargeback was not due to the credit card being used fraudulently. I have to fax that shit off to valve and their wacky number.

I honestly can't see that happening, Do we even have affidavits in AUS and would they even be legal in the US?

The bank is going to tell me that me xyz and then valve is going to say affidavit up the ass. I think i'm officially screwed, It will just keep going back and forth between the two.

I'm going to reply with a) I'm in AUS and not the US so i'm not too sure if an affidavit will work and b) give me my group access to my new account.

An affidavit is just a written statement where you claim something is true and sign it.

Seriously, you need to get angry at Valve and/or the bank. Start threatening to go to the ACCC. Demand that Valve give you a number that you can talk to someone with.

This stuff makes me angry.

Danoss

legend166 said:
An affidavit is just a written statement where you claim something is true and sign it.

Seriously, you need to get angry at Valve and/or the bank. Start threatening to go to the ACCC. Demand that Valve give you a number that you can talk to someone with.

Do this. If they're still giving the same response, it really is showing that they're paying no attention to your issue at all.

If it goes nowhere, just do a chargeback on everything possible that you bought from the Valve store. They've essentially forced you to return all goods you have purchased back to them.

legend166

hamchan said:
I can understand Steam not letting you play the game that was chargebacked but banning you from playing every single you game you own is so very fucked up.

Seriously, it annoys the crap out of me. Valve need to get smacked down in court or something. There are so many better ways to deal with this situation than their "Chargeback? IMMEDIATE AND TOTAL BAN. SUCKS TO BE YOU!" mentality.

You could do a strike system that would work a million times better.

Strike 1: Lock access to individual game, work with customer to determine source/cause of chargeback. If it turns out chargeback had nothing to do with the customer, revoke strike.

Strike 2: Month long ban of account.

Strike 3: Ban.

Makes about a million times more sense. The problem is Valve seem to be incredibly cheap and don't want to hire any decent support staff.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:

You can understand why Valve are bastards about this. They would have passed on the sales to the publisher already and the money has now been taken back off them and they can't do much about it except chalk it up as a loss

Given cookie buys a lot it could be a fair whack of money.

Clipper

Mar said:
I'm enjoying the fact that this will potentially have a flow on effect. A lot of people that had never before imported video games will suddenly realize we are getting ripped off here and they can buy games for half the price from overseas.

Australian retailers and publishers can die in a fire.
I doubt it will have that much of an effect. The people that don't know about importing probably don't know about the game either.

Also, I'm attempting to ship Portal 2 in the same package that MK will be coming in (they release the same day). I'm prepared for MK to get removed, but I'm going to be pissed if they delay my Portal 2 along with it...

legend166

Danoss said:
Do this. If they're still giving the same response, it really is showing that they're paying no attention to your issue at all.

If it goes nowhere, just do a chargeback on everything possible that you bought from the Valve store. They've essentially forced you to return all goods you have purchased back to them.

Best idea ever. I'd love to see the result of that.

MrSerrels

Mar said:

If this decision has any kind of knock on effect, it'll be through this.

Australia is such a small market - I wonder if they'll sell more by having the sales in one region reduced for a greater amount of schlock publicity? I'd say definitely. This makes Mortal Kombat notorious again.

I was wondering if any AusGAF members have been to one of those Videogame symphonies, and if so, what was the experience like.

Anyone know if there is anything of the sort is coming up in Sydney this year?

Danoss

Sutton Dagger said:
I was wondering if any AusGAF members have been to one of those Videogame symphonies, and if so, what was the experience like.

Anyone know if there is anything of the sort is coming up in Sydney this year?
I went and saw "Play!" a few years ago, it was fantastic. Hearing cool video game tunes live out of a full orchestra is incredible.

Eminence came to Australia shortly after, though I heard it wasn't as good. They do anime things as well, which doesn't do too much for me.

I haven't heard of anything about them on the way back out here. If Play! returns, I'll be all over it.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
MrSerrels said:
If this decision has any kind of knock on effect, it'll be through this.

Australia is such a small market - I wonder if they'll sell more by having the sales in one region reduced for a greater amount of schlock publicity? I'd say definitely. This makes Mortal Kombat notorious again.

Unfortunately the few informed people here on the internet don't outweigh sheer numbers of bogans who continue to purchase games at full retail price.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I knew an affidavit existed here, nfi why i asked that lol. I'm just not sure if one signed here would be legal in another country, Although we do have a friendly relationship with the US.

At this point in time it seems like i'm just stuck in between two shitty rocks, The bank is saying valve needs to request the money back and all i'm getting from valve is their scripted response. It's been the same from day 1, It's pretty much the following (this is the latest)

Hello,

You will need to complete the following in order for us to investigate the matter further: If your bank is unable to withdraw the chargeback, we will need them to fax an affidavit that clearly states that they are unable to withdraw the chargeback and more importantly that the chargeback was not due to the credit card being used fraudulently. Please have them fax it to 425-952-2788 Attn: Fraud Department. Make sure that your bank has included the phone number for their dispute department so that we can verify the statement with them. Please reference this ticket number, ******** , on your cover letter. As soon as we can confirm this information with your bank, we will review the situation and try to get authorization to make an exception and reactivate the account even though the chargeback is still pending. If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

I have no idea how the chargeback is still pending when neither party seems to want to send or take the money. On top of that it sounds like i won't even be given my account if i do get an affidavit out there, there's a chance they will look into it.

I have put in the request to have my group access changed for ausgaf, Hopefully that's possible.

Man, that sucks, Cookie. Talk to that girl yet?

Radiant Historia is taking SO LONG to get here. Every afternoon, I get home and check my mailbox, my front door and my back door and sigh.

Kritz

Banned
I wonder if it would be more efficient (or entertaining) to try and stir up INTERNET DRAMA over this steam bollocks.

*looks out of bus window after 15 minutes of browsing on phone*

… where the fuck am I?

Edit:

Oh, right.

E4dEVl.jpg

I'm Gen y!

Bernbaum

GDC must be such a wonderful time for people closer to the 'sausage-making' end of the business. There's a common thread between industry people on podcasts and twitter that I follow who don't enjoy the headache of E3 yet love every bit of GDC.

Not sure if it's something I'd be able to appreciate fully myself - kind of like watching all the special features on the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions. Knowing how every little plastic hobbit foot is made kinda ruins the magic and I'd imagine GDC would take off some of the sheen (Ignorance is bliss I guess). It would be interesting to see how ideas are communicated and how perceptive each and every developer is to each other. From what I gather, attendees don't hold closely to whatever publisher or brand it is that keeps them employed and everyone is viewed as a colleague with common goals. Must be a nice feeling for those guys.

Deeku

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Radiant Historia is taking SO LONG to get here. Every afternoon, I get home and check my mailbox, my front door and my back door and sigh.
Did you order it from Playasia?

I've noticed that their delivery times are getting longer and longer. Few years ago, the cheapest took at most 1 week. These days it's minimum 2 weeks or longer.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bernbaum said:
GDC must be such a wonderful time for people closer to the 'sausage-making' end of the business. There's a common thread between industry people on podcasts and twitter that I follow who don't enjoy the headache yet love every bit of GDC.

Not sure if it's something I'd be able to appreciate fully myself - kind of like watching all the special features on the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions. Knowing how every little plastic hobbit foot is made kinda ruins the magic and I'd imagine GDC would take off some of the sheen (Ignorance is bliss I guess). It would be interesting to see how ideas are communicated and how perceptive each and every developer is to each other. From what I gather, attendees don't hold closely to whatever publisher or brand it is that keeps them employed and everyone is viewed as a colleague with common goals. Must be a nice feeling for those guys.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to going nextish year.

Gazunta

A someone who really wants to see Bern turn into a cynical industry commentator, I think he should go to GDC and get more disenfranchised.

But hell, why stop there. Wait till you're in a meeting with a publisher and they lay out what games (including sequels and spin offs to placate fan demand based on original games that aren't even out yet) they're doing in the next 3 years, complete with what sales and review scores they expect for them all. It's crazy how ahead of our timeline they are.

Edit: Oh and Danoss, I've been to two (...three? hard to remember) Video Games Live shows and loved most of it. A lot of it went over my head (Having not grown up playing NES games and not giving a toss about Final Fantasy) but it was still fantastic.

commanderdeek said:
Did you order it from Playasia?

I've noticed that their delivery times are getting longer and longer. Few years ago, the cheapest took at most 1 week. These days it's minimum 2 weeks or longer.
Videogamesplus.ca

I sort of expected it to take a week or so... not two ;_;

/firstworldproblems

Bernbaum

Gazunta said:
A someone who really wants to see Bern turn into a cynical industry commentator, I think he should go to GDC and get more disenfranchised.
We already have twenty billion of those.

The best media outlets out there all share a common trait - they celebrate video games.

Mar

Danoss said:
I went and saw "Play!" a few years ago, it was fantastic. Hearing cool video game tunes live out of a full orchestra is incredible.

I went to Play! too, the one where Yamaoka played. Was pretty damn awesome. Haven't been to a video game music thingy since though.

Kritz said:
I wonder if it would be more efficient (or entertaining) to try and stir up INTERNET DRAMA over this steam bollocks.

*looks out of bus window after 15 minutes of browsing on phone*

… where the fuck am I?

Edit:

Oh, right.

E4dEVl.jpg

I'm Gen y!

With street names like that, I thought you were in Sydney for a second.

Shaneus

Fuck. Looks like I've managed to find a substitute for spending money on games. So far today I've bought a second-hand pair of Turtle Beach X41 cans (cheers Neverender!), a NAS device (4-bay, $250 a pop on ht.com.au - cheap!) and am inches away from dropping $130 a month on cable internet.

Still haven't bought a game since my self-imposed ban, though. I'm still winning!

Gazunta

I'm having a shit day. Ella Morton dyed her hair brown. HOW CAN I LIVE IN THIS WORLD.

Also, Cafe Press (who?) sent me a cheque for $6.90 (why?) and it costs $7 to cash a cheque from the states (how?)

My PC's DVD drive keeps flaking out, and I'm trying to block out inane co-worker chatter with Simpsons commentary.

Uh video games? *shrug*

Aon

I think I've got a bunch of the Play! stuff on my phone, although I'm not sure. If I've got the right group they do a killer Oblivion medley though.

One thing you might do Cookie, if you're feeling desperate is to bring up your issue in a big EXPOSE post on Neogaf's main forum. With a SCANDALOUS title such as "I got banned because some jerk hacked into my Bank Account" and generally try and force a response that way.

Valve are fairly awake to stuff like that, if you remember all the REDDIT stuff.

Of course, in those cases the guys were sort of douchey, so you have the advantage. It worked for the guy who got forum banned and locked out of DAII, even they were just following the rules.

Of course it might not work. It just popped into my mind.

I should stop posting, it's always with weird ideas.

Kritz said:
You'll have to try a lot harder than that to offend me. :\
Your kitten smells like poop

cookie said:
So now i need to email valve and say, what the fuck is up do you not want my money and see what happens from there. Hopefully i can find another way around it all.
This is the problem with internet businesses in different country's, especially when said company doesn't give a shit about their customer service. Hopefully getting really pissed at them will annoy one of their people to do something about it. They probably help as little as possible so the lazy ones can't be bothered chasing it up.

clipper said:
Sure, the kid was just retaliating for what had probably been building up for ages, but he could easily have snapped the bully's neck. It's certainly not something that should be paraded.
Hopefully this makes the little shit understand it isn't okay to go through life intimidating people in order to get what you want. I have seen a lot of people who were obviously bullys in school and I sure as hell wish they got the shit beaten out of them early to understand it isn't how society should work. This is what I'm talking about.

ClivePwned said:
I need a router
I've been using a cheap D-Link for years. When my parents Netgear died (within 2 years) I got them a $50 D-Link and they have never had a problem. (aside from the usual tech support for the PC every 5 days a son gets)

Here is a link where you can search by postcode for your nearest JP!

Clipper said:
Also, I'm attempting to ship Portal 2 in the same package that MK will be coming in (they release the same day). I'm prepared for MK to get removed, but I'm going to be pissed if they delay my Portal 2 along with it...
I still doubt they are going to check every single package that comes from overseas just because of this ban. As long as it isn't marked "MORTAL KOMBAT: BANNED AND ILLEGAL IN AUSTRALIA" you should be fine. Working with Australia Post has shown how lenient and
blasé they can be about packages (which I fully support).

VKS said:
Videogamesplus.ca
I sort of expected it to take a week or so... not two ;_;
/firstworldproblems
I was shipped Tactics Ogre and Demons Souls on the same day from Zavvi. Tactics arrived last Monday. Still no Demons Souls. :(

Gazunta said:
Also, Cafe Press (who?) sent me a cheque for $6.90 (why?) and it costs $7 to cash a cheque from the states (how?)
Cafe Press do Tshirts and stuff, you must have submitted a design in a drunken rage and some smart soul has purchased one of your turtlenecks. Also her hair is still pretty much red. It'll wear off soon anyway, maybe she washes her hair a lot? Also your PC should already be loaded with classic Simpsons episodes, no need for a stinky DVD drive.

gamereactor83_239491.jpg

This was the worst moment of my day. Frowny face to oblivion.

Fredescu

VOOK said:
So next time something gets banned, instead of screaming about importing, just shut the fuck up!
The quotes in the article make it sound like it's just standard procedure to add RC games to the banned list. Shutting the fuck up will do exactly nothing and nothing has changed.

VOOK

Fredescu said:
The quotes in the article make it sound like it's just standard procedure to add RC games to the banned list. Shutting the fuck up will do exactly nothing and nothing has changed.

There's a reason those little niche horror games get in, no one really cares.

Everyone makes a song and dance about importing MK, they're going to look for it just to spite people. Otherwise next week it'll be 'MK sneaks into Australian homes, customs am fail'. Parents groups outraged, demand a duel in the streets at noon.

VOOK said:
There's a reason those little niche horror games get in, no one really cares.

Everyone makes a song and dance about importing MK, they're going to look for it just to spite people. Otherwise next week it'll be 'MK sneaks into Australian homes, customs am fail'. Parents groups outraged, demand a duel in the streets at noon.
I agree that the first 3 weeks they will be told to check parcels coming in from a list of overseas game distributors but 6 months after release they won't care. L4D2 and Risen got into my hands without any problems and I expect the same when I pick up MKReboot when it hits the $20 mark (note: I'm not really into fighting games so I only want to pick it up as a throwback-to-our-youth party game, not saying the game isn't worth fullprice).

VOOK

reptilescorpio said:
I agree that the first 3 weeks they will be told to check parcels coming in from a list of overseas game distributors but 6 months after release they won't care. L4D2 and Risen got into my hands without any problems and I expect the same when I pick up MKReboot when it hits the $20 mark (note: I'm not really into fighting games so I only want to pick it up as a throwback-to-our-youth party game, not saying the game isn't worth fullprice).

Oh undoubtedly, but that's when everyone here is importing it. Gambling with their money.

guidop

I'm so over all these fucking pro-nuclear people coming out saying how awesome nuclear is and how it would be a travesty if we abandoned the Technology how it is still safe etc. when this Japanese station is completely shitting itself

Salazar

guidop said:
I'm so over all these fucking pro-nuclear people coming out saying how awesome nuclear is and how it would be a travesty if we abandoned the Technology how it is still safe etc. when this Japanese station is completely shitting itself

I'm even more fed up with creeps using the disaster to shit on nuclear technology in general.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
If some one downloads the new mortal kombat game illegally, other than the obvious law you're breaking there, they would be put under this giant fine thingy too right? lmao

Choc

Banned
multiple japanese nuclear reactors shitting themselves

nows not the time

also

for those looking for a potential* (i am not a lawyer but this is one possible loophole) legal way to acquire MK, digital download

if someone puts it up for DD and you can get hold of it, currently under the laws there is a loophole by which data downloaded is not considered crossing the border and this is out of customs jurisdiction

this loophole will go one day as the gvt is exploring how the heck to deal with this (filter being one option) but it is an option

however like i said i am no lawyer and they would still potentially try and prosecute and you'd have to get a fine lawyer to argue the loophole etc and win.

Salazar said:
I'm even more fed up with creeps using the disaster to shit on nuclear technology in general.

+1 Wading into the quake thread and seeing someone randomly drive by post "CHERNOBYL 2 serves us right for not abandoning the technology" every few pages is annoying.

Salazar said:
+1. The reactors in Japan are old and anyone disputing nuclear technology for the future hasn't done their research. Still can't believe that England want to put in Boiling Water Reactors when there are SOOOOO many better alternatives.

Choc

Banned
The biggest problem i see with Nuclear power is teh amount of water it takes and so it needs to be near the coast.

With tsunamis etc thats a big risk but still it shouldn't be written off

We are not going to have Chernobyl 2 even if they meltdown. It's not shoddily built like Chernobyl was and they are actually doing stuff to try and stop it, Chernobyl basically was allowed to meltdown and explode from what i have read

There was no evacuation around Chernobyl before the event.

I was reading however a radioactive cloud is due above Tokyo this evening, thats kinda bad :|

Kritz said:
+50. Forum posts are now call of duty.
Should I have said "You have my sword" rather than "+1"? Not sure on Gaf etique...

Choc said:
The biggest problem i see with Nuclear power is teh amount of water it takes and so it needs to be near the coast.
Jump in the Off Topic Nuclear thread to see some impressive alternatives to the 40 year old reactors currently in trouble in Japan (after a 9.0 earthquake and subsequent Tsunami that has killed thousands and affected millions).

guidop

FreeFallin' said:
+1 Wading into the quake thread and seeing someone randomly drive by post "CHERNOBYL 2 serves us right for not abandoning the technology" every few pages is annoying.

Those types of responses are completely wrong and unwarranted though I still think its fare to highlight the dangers and issues associated with the technology when these disasters happen obviously the dust needs to settle first.

In saying that everything I have heard on Radio National has totally reaffirmed my opposition to the technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom