• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stackboy

I still have to finish Dragon Age 1. I'm a comfy coucher most of the time, but I should make myself sit at my PC at night and play (though after a day sitting at my PC at work, I don't want to).

Ausgaf, should I buy Borderlands GOTY edition from EB on the way home today? I already have it on PC, but I think I would enjoy it more on 360.

Shaneus

legend166 said:
At home sick today :(
jambo said:
There's been a few sick people at work the past couple of weeks, seems to be something going around.
Dead-set reckon there is, too. I have a feeling I picked it up when I visited my folks last Saturday and my mum was sick. Fine most of Sunday, Sunday night starting to feel it and Monday, BAM. Fine(ish) for work yesterday and sick again today.

Cold?

In regards to the iPad2 price, look at the exchange rate today as opposed to a year ago.
If I didn't already have an iPad 1, I'd sure as shit be getting the new one (though I would be patient and get it at home)

It was funny when I was in New York last year, I went to the apple store on 5th Avenue and it was packed (this would have been just after the last iPod refresh) it was packed with people, most of whom were lining up to pay for their purchase. Thing is, there were lots of Apple store hiposters wandering around with card scanners attached to iphones so you could pay for your purchase without lining up. That's what i did. It only took 5 minutes to buy a copy of Logic from the time I wandered in (and most of that was getting down the stairs). Hardest thing was trying to work out which employee was the one serving us. They reaaaallly look the same.

Kritz

Banned
giri said:
Finished Dragonage 2.

It was fun.

DA2 was bad and you should feel bad.

And every single boss fight in the game was terrible, because it was nothing more than attacking some asshole with a massive health bar for ten minutes. My party was full DPS (Fenris with 50-60 attack, Varric with 50-60 dex, Avaline as the tank and myself as another rouge with 40-50 dex), and even then it took forfuckingever to kill anything.

The battles weren't hard, and it's not like having a mage would have helped. Bleh.

Didn't like it at all.

jambo

Choc said:
Yak 4 is awesome

kZgBN.jpg

BanShunsaku said:
Apparently Yakuza 4 has broken street date.

So tempted to grab it at lunch, playing the Yakuza series is like gaming comfort food for me.
There is no street date (not at EB at least). It was on the shelf at my store yesterday.

Bernbaum

Holycheck/Shaneus. I have a Polyot, a Chaika and now a Vostok. From my spiffy 'Russian Watch' collector's book, Vostok's look like the coolest. They also make the 'Gagarin' watch and various other watches used by cosmonauts. Those are a bit expensive for what they are, and I'd be looking at spending ~$400 for a Gagarin which is still really just a piece of jewelry. Otherwise, yes they are cheap - the watch, shipping and picking out a nice strap comes to about ~$100 AUD.

I have no idea whether the watches I own and the ones I want to get are dinky children's watches or revered timepieces. I don't care and the mystique is part of the appeal.

jambo said:
Australian pricing has been confirmed by Apple, as well as a Friday 5pm release.

Wi-Fi
$579.00 inc GST for the 16GB model
$689.00 inc GST for the 32GB model
$799.00 inc GST for the 64GB model.

Wi-Fi + 3G
$729.00 inc GST for the 16GB model
$839.00 inc GST for the 32GB model
$949.00 inc GST for the 64GB model

All prices in AUD

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/380570/apple_launches_ipad_2_friday_579/
32 or 64 Gb WiFi for me. Oh, and Apple - thanks be being retarded and releasing this at 5pm on a Friday. Absolutely nothing about releasing a hotly anticipated gizmo that will undoubtedly attract big lines at that particular time is inconvenient at all you fucking idiots.

TheBear

To anyone who bought the 3DS + game from Dick Smith, apparently you are able to return the game (sealed) if you want to exchange for another one of their games apart of that deal. For example, I chose Rayman, which is apparently a bucket of shit, so i can trade it in for the Tom Clancy game (which might also be a bucket of shit but who knows?)

Choc

Banned
bigjimmystyle said:
To anyone who bought the 3DS + game from Dick Smith, apparently you are able to return the game (sealed) if you want to exchange for another one of their games apart of that deal. For example, I chose Rayman, which is apparently a bucket of shit, so i can trade it in for the Tom Clancy game (which might also be a bucket of shit but who knows?)

The tom clancy game looks shit hot

jambo

bigjimmystyle said:

Is this confirmed? I pre-ordered Rayman 3D online, so will I just be able to go in to a store and swap?

Might give Dick Smith a call.

Clipper

Choc said:
why 5pm. I mean what the fuck. I aint buying one and am not fussed but they are already out in the US, why the heck make it 5pm just to be difficult

so whilst people are trying to get home from Sydney, there will be a stupid long queue on george street just to piss everyone off

bet the council and cops aren't exactly pleased. It also opens it up for more people to yell 'fucking nerds' etc as they walk past to go home :p
Wouldn't it be just as bad with the 9am launches and everybody trying to get to work? 5pm means you can line up without needing to weather the entire night on the footpath. Of course there's midnight launches, but that means paying employees massive overtime fees and all that.

bigjimmystyle said:
I think that will probably be a YMMV type of deal. You'll have to show your receipt, so it will be obvious how you got your game, and they may refuse free trades except for other things in the deal. Even if it does work, you're a little bit of a douche if you exploit stuff like this.

Choc

Banned
Clipper said:
Wouldn't it be just as bad with the 9am launches and everybody trying to get to work? 5pm means you can line up without needing to weather the entire night on the footpath. Of course there's midnight launches, but that means paying employees massive overtime fees and all that.

I think that will probably be a YMMV type of deal. You'll have to show your receipt, so it will be obvious how you got your game, and they may refuse free trades except for other things in the deal. Even if it does work, you're a little bit of a douche if you exploit stuff like this.

clipper people generally aren't as annoyed etc when going to work. After a long day at work the last thing you want is thousands of people lining up on the most busy street in the city blocking entrances to bus stops, train stations etc in peak hour. And given its forecast to piss rain on Friday, that just makes it all the worse

its just going be chaotic

Why For?

Banned
That 5pm time is just fucking bizarre. Melbourne's traffic is bad enough, and the car park at Doncaster is already officially been branded hell on earth, imagine Friday night now.

Fucksticks.

In better news, Dane Swan has signed on for 3 more years. 1 down, 2 to go. Pendlebury was always the one we were in danger of losing though. Can't lose Pendles.

jambo

Clipper said:

Wait, how are we exploiting it if we choose to swap for another game of the same price?

=\

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I was going to post about the 5pm friday here when i found out earlier, I can't believe that's actually happening.

Steam is saying they haven't gotten the money yet but that's fine, It should take a few days. Hopefully there's some documentation over on NABs side to back that up if i do need it.

Good thing i'm not working out in the front in retail at 5pm. It's going to be insane.

jambo

Clipper said:
Because the deal includes games people wouldn't usually buy for a reason.

But we'd be swapping it for a game of EQUAL PRICE!

Plus i'd likely swap it for Rabbids 3DS, which is one of the original pre-order options.

Choc

Banned
Apple should have to get permission to pull shit like this they really should

The footpath is owned by the council not the store and it is going to be chockas, people are going to be pissed and then fights can happen and the cops will be pissed

its just ridiculous. And traffic is already fucked enough as it is 5pm on a Friday

jambo

Fights happen? Have there been lots of fights at the 3 iPhone releases and at the last iPad release in Sydney? Everyone was really nice in the lineups I've been in for iPhones.

Danoss

Bernbaum said:
Oh, and Apple - thanks be being retarded and releasing this at 5pm on a Friday. Absolutely nothing about releasing a hotly anticipated gizmo that will undoubtedly attract big lines at that particular time is inconvenient at all you fucking idiots.
That's Apple for you, make as much of a spectacle out of it as possible. I'm imagining people trying to get past the line at the George Street Sydney store after work now. Good job Apple.

New slogan: "Think like a fucking idiot" ?

Clipper

You know, perhaps they'll just let you do the virtual line. Given that there'll be employees there for all of Friday, they can set up a line inside the store for pre-orders and just occasionally go down the line handing out pre-order slips for your position, and the line can then disperse and come back at 5pm or slightly afterwards. They just have to ensure they only give out enough slips to cover their allocation and put a deadline time on when you need to be back at the store by to pick it up. That makes everyone happy, right?

Shaneus

I still can't believe people give that much of a shit about the new iPad. I mean, if you're a fan of the first one then you already have it and there's not that much difference between it and the first one. If you don't have one, then you mustn't be that interested in it in the first place... at least, not enough to queue up on a Friday arvo to pick one up.

Pretty sure that if I decide (one day) to ditch my Eee 900 and get a tablet, it'll be something that has a physical keyboard and is something I can run Windows on.

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
Fights happen? Have there been lots of fights at the 3 iPhone releases and at the last iPad release in Sydney? Everyone was really nice in the lineups I've been in for iPhones.

not in the lines. People trying to walk past on the busiest pedestrian thoroughfare who dont give a fucking wank about the ipad and iphone etc and will just shove etc and then it can kick off

thats the issue.

the other launches have been 12am and 8am, much more sensible. It's very 'hard' to avoid a 5pm launch given its in the main strip of sydney city, tens of thousands if not more walk past the apple store to get home and go somewhere after owrk.

Choc

Banned
Clipper said:
You know, perhaps they'll just let you do the virtual line. Given that there'll be employees there for all of Friday, they can set up a line inside the store for pre-orders and just occasionally go down the line handing out pre-order slips for your position, and the line can then disperse and come back at 5pm or slightly afterwards. They just have to ensure they only give out enough slips to cover their allocation and put a deadline time on when you need to be back at the store by to pick it up. That makes everyone happy, right?

won't happen....

how do they get the tv crews there in that case? thats what this is ALL about

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
Sounds like assholes in Sydney are the problem, not Apple =P

no

its called fucking using your head. Creating a situation where people will crack the shits because of overcrowding because something wank corporate thinks its bigger then the government and council who owns the land they want to use to have a big massive line in the middle of peak hour is ridiculous

i guarantee the police and council will call apple today and say you best fucking sort this out and do it right. Else we will come down on you

Danoss

Shaneus said:
I still can't believe people give that much of a shit about the new iPad. I mean, if you're a fan of the first one then you already have it and there's not that much difference between it and the first one. If you don't have one, then you mustn't be that interested in it in the first place... at least, not enough to queue up on a Friday arvo to pick one up.
Great video man, Conan's awesome. I don't understand the fuss either, I have the first iPad and couldn't give a shit about the new one. It's essentially the 3GS of iPads.

hamchan

ha ha 5pm Friday, awesome.

EDIT: Also I don't think the police or council can do jack shit to Apple, they aren't doing anything wrong.

jambo

Choc said:
i guarantee the police and council will call apple today and say you best fucking sort this out and do it right. Else we will come down on you

How will they "come down" on them exactly?

Shaneus

Danoss said:
Great video man, Conan's awesome. I don't understand the fuss either, I have the first iPad and couldn't give a shit about the new one. It's essentially the 3GS of iPads.
No worries! And I have a 3GS :D

It's a less extreme reasoning of why I didn't get an iPhone 4, either. Sure, better screen and processor but the end experience is practically identical. Probably getting an iSomething for my next phone but if everything I have currently runs just fine on my current one (and there are newer apps that just refuse to run on it) then why bother?

That, and I really wanted a white iPhone 4 :(

Side note to my cold: Not sure how I feel about cold medicine. Sure, they relieve most of the symptoms but the pseudoephedrine fucks with my head something chronic. Restless, light-headed, not quite thinking straight... wondering if it's worth it :/

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
How will they "come down" on them exactly?

At a stretch if it got very much out of hand apple could be charged with a number of offences. Especially if they have not hired cops to handle the crowds (this is why sportnig events have cops, its an offence to have such a large crowd without coppers present)

Apple is doing something wrong by setting up a crowd on a PUBLIC footpath in the middle of fucking peak hour

if you don't think there is anything wrong with that then you clearly haven't had to walk through the epic lines whilst trying to just do something

add 10,000+ people trying to get past and you have a receipie for disaster

Clipper

Choc said:
Would they even be perceiving this as an issue? Without anything similar in the past, would they have the foresight to see that there might be problems?

To be honest, we don't even know if there will be problems. If the people in the line do it properly, taking up only one body thickness of space and leaving space to enter other shopfronts and wrapping around the block rather than crossing roads, then there should be no problem, right? Or are there going to be enough people that they need to cross roads?

Edit: Hmm, reading your previous post makes me think there might be more people there then. I certainly wouldn't have expected thousands at a single store, but I guess if they do get that then there will be potential trouble.

Choc

Banned
Shaneus said:
No worries! And I have a 3GS :D

It's a less extreme reasoning of why I didn't get an iPhone 4, either. Sure, better screen and processor but the end experience is practically identical. Probably getting an iSomething for my next phone but if everything I have currently runs just fine on my current one (and there are newer apps that just refuse to run on it) then why bother?

That, and I really wanted a white iPhone 4 :(

Side note to my cold: Not sure how I feel about cold medicine. Sure, they relieve most of the symptoms but the pseudoephedrine fucks with my head something chronic. Restless, light-headed, not quite thinking straight... wondering if it's worth it :/

Codral cold and flu does not use psueoephadrine anymore. This is why you are no longer asked to see your licence when you buy it

so you can get that :)

Choc

Banned
Clipper said:
Would they even be perceiving this as an issue? Without anything similar in the past, would they have the foresight to see that there might be problems?

To be honest, we don't even know if there will be problems. If the people in the line do it properly, taking up only one body thickness of space and leaving space to enter other shopfronts and wrapping around the block rather than crossing roads, then there should be no problem, right? Or are there going to be enough people that they need to cross roads?

ipad 1 launch it went from apple store to wynyard station.

thats a fucking long way and the main thoroughfare. Without the ipad queue, the footpath is sardines as it is @ 5pm, people everywhere going everywhere almost running into each other.

it will go over roads clip

jambo

I've had to walk through tons of huge crowds when there are things on in the mall and what not. It's 5-10 minutes of mild annoyance and then you are out and you go on with your life.

Just interested to know what would happen, seeing as all the previous iPhone launches have been at peak morning time when everyone is heading to work and I've never heard of any trouble.

And I'm fairly sure there are cops at sporting events because of booze + crowd, not just crowd. I suppose they could use the Riot Act, but that would be laughable on a line of nerds and hipsters.

Agyar

iPad 2 prices are a little higher than what I was expecting given the exchange rates but not absurdly higher than the US prices.

Still debating whether to grab a 32GB iPad 2 or go for the cheap option and get a first gen refurb (32GB) for 499.

Clipper

Choc said:
ipad 1 launch it went from apple store to wynyard station.

thats a fucking long way and the main thoroughfare. Without the ipad queue, the footpath is sardines as it is @ 5pm, people everywhere going everywhere almost running into each other.

it will go over roads clip
Yeah, I just edited in that I thought I was mistaken on the number of people wanting this thing. That's pretty crazy. I guess we'll see what happens on the day.

jambo

Fuck those people. For 10-15 minutes on Friday arvo they will be slightly inconvenienced. It's the end of the fucking world! Call the police, call the councils, BRING DOWN THEIR MIGHTY WRATH UPON APPLE!!!!

Sweet Raptor Jesus!

I'll probably be getting a 16GB 3G, never really used all the space on my 32GB.

Danoss

Choc said:
probaby right but people will still be pissed that the footpath is basically fucked
Guaranteed, the footpath is thin as can be. Trying to move around on it at lunchtime is bad enough.

Jambo, people will be delayed further on their buses, trains and such when they just want to get home after a shitty week at work. If you think people aren't going to be annoyed by the slightest thing at that point, let alone half of the (already thin) footpath being cut off, I don't know what to say.

So glad I don't care about it. Even if I did, I'd buy online or at a JB Hi-Fi instead.

Agyar

Megadrive said:
I'm afraid I'll never understand the 'I want I want' mentality of Apple consumers nowadays. It's pretty interesting how Apple managed to do that.

Create it and they will come.

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
Fuck those people. For 10-15 minutes on Friday arvo they will be slightly inconvenienced. It's the end of the fucking world! Call the police, call the councils, BRING DOWN THEIR MIGHTY WRATH UPON APPLE!!!!

as you do not live in sydney and do not have to put up with the bullshit CBD and people rushing everywhere everyday

you have no idea why this is pissing people in Sydney off.

Mar

Kritz said:
DA2 was bad and you should feel bad.

And every single boss fight in the game was terrible, because it was nothing more than attacking some asshole with a massive health bar for ten minutes. My party was full DPS (Fenris with 50-60 attack, Varric with 50-60 dex, Avaline as the tank and myself as another rouge with 40-50 dex), and even then it took forfuckingever to kill anything.

The battles weren't hard, and it's not like having a mage would have helped. Bleh.

Didn't like it at all.

The video you posted gave it 5/5 though... I think I'll remove it if it's just a joke video. Perhaps post those on kritz.net?

jambo said:

Consider who you're talking to here and take on board hyperbole and history of making shit up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom