• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

Choc said:
oh dear

802974-bear-meme-ad.jpg
I have questions, but I'd probably sound like a CP collector if I ask them.

Omikron

Ok, if anyone wants any of the following, chuck us a PM/post in thread and I will send you a download link + cd-key etc...

Try and be nice and limit yourself to 1 though so as to spread the love around! :p

Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X.® 2 - Deluxe Edition
Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.® 2 - All in one Pack
- claimed by - Rahk
The Settlers® Heritage of Kings
The Settlers: Rise of an Empire
The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom - DLC 3 - Complete Pack
The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom - DLC Pack 1, 2 & 3 - claimed by -Deadpool-
Silent Hunter III
Silent Hunter® 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Silent Hunter® 4: U-Boat Missions
Far Cry - claimed by - untoldhero
Shaun White Skateboarding - Exclusive Deluxe Edition
Heroes over Europe
Call of Juarez® Bound in Blood - claimed by - trinest
World in Conflict Complete Edition - claimed by - BanShunsaku
Heroes of Might and Magic V
Heroes of Might and Magic V: Tribes of the East
- claimed by a mate
Prince of Persia® The Two Thrones™
Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30th - claimed by legend166
XIII - swapped with a mate

(Posted on new page for people that don't read back, won't do it again :p)

Danoss

Fredescu said:
I don't want to make a habit of reposting from the reddit front page. But, my god.

tumblr_li2hssp7zU1qz5tgbo1_500.jpg
Hi Kaylyn's mum! It's Becky. I have a concern about the font you're using to send emails.

Today I was at a friends house and I pointed out the font you've been using to send emails to me. Much to my dismay, he said it was Comic Sans. I pay good money for my email server and I expect that corners won't be cut in the care of font choice. That and I don't want to compromose my values of assuming it's okay to settle for a lesser font. This might be hard for you to understand, but it means a lot to me.

Omikron

viciouskillersquirrel said:
American, right? Please, for the love of all that is holy, someone tell me this woman's American.

Let me tell you as the husband of a kindergarten teacher, I would not put it past some parents to verbalise a similar sentiment.

Believe last year my wife had a child who could only be fed organic fruit when fruit was provided on special occasions. I kid you not. Parent was politely told to provide her own. Heh.

Omi said:
Parent was politely told to provide her own.
This is exactly the right response. Then their kid either gets to feel left out or superior. With parents like that, they are obviously superior and all should be made to acknowledge that fact.

Ventron

Gazunta said:
QLD-GAF: Campbell Newman is going for the QLD LNP top spot. Thoughts?

Ashgrove! He's going for my seat. Awesome.
But I thought it has an ALP margin of 8%, we have a minister in our seat after all.

Omi said:
Ok, if anyone wants any of the following, chuck us a PM/post in thread and I will send you a download link + cd-key etc...

Try and be nice and limit yourself to 1 though so as to spread the love around! :p

Silent Hunter III
Far Cry
Heroes over Europe
Call of Juarez® Bound in Blood
- claimed by a mate
Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30th
XIII

Far cry plzzxxx
Love u

Ventron

Langbroek quits. Looks like the leadership is Campbell's for the taking.

EDIT: Ahhahaha. LNP's odds have shortened from $1.90 to $1.77

Gazunta

And Springborg too. hahah holy crap, what a weird couple of hours. The very thought of Newman starting a campaign to be elected for a position in the party was so powerful that the leader and deputy leader quits immediately - wow.

For the first time in 20 years we might actually have a real election in QLD.

legend166

Omi said:

Silent Hunter III
Heroes over Europe
- claimed by a mate
Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30th
XIII

Bros in Arms?

Edit: I don't know anything about QLD politics, but you guys need to elect Springborg purely because of his name.

Ventron

legend166 said:
Edit: I don't know anything about QLD politics, but you guys need to elect Springborg purely because of his name.

I agree, but he got rejected twice and we got stuck with Beattie. He makes me throw up.

trinest

Omi said:

Silent Hunter III
Heroes over Europe
- claimed by a mate
XIII

Ill take Call of Juarez?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think "application store" is fair game, but Apple has every right to trademark "App Store".

I sure as hell wouldn't want competition piggy-backing off of the millions I've spent on marketing that phrase. It's one of, if not the, iPhone's biggest selling point.

Kritz

Banned
codswallop said:
Yeah, because Apple invented the term 'App'. God damnit Apple, you're starting to look like Sony.
I like to call it an "exe store" or "prog store" just to piss apple fanboys off.

In other news, I'm learning unix commands! They're super easy compared to window's cmd.

Omikron

Kritz said:
I like to call it an "exe store" or "prog store" just to piss apple fanboys off.

In other news, I'm learning unix commands! They're super easy compared to window's cmd.

Excessive use of pipe!

Fredescu

Rez said:
but Apple has every right to trademark "App Store".
You think so? I don't think it's so clear cut to be honest. That's like trademarking "Car Store". On the other hand, Apple have worked to make the "App Store" theirs, so anyone else using it is leveraging Apples work. It's an interesting issue.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
From my perspective, "Car Store" would be the equivalent of "Application Store". I mean, sure, "Automotive Store" or something would be the literal equivalent, but if we're talking about public usage versus any one company's strong arming of a phrase, I don't feel like 'car' owes as much to any one company as App does to Apple.

But yes, it is a greyish area. I guess all I'm saying is that I think Apple are, given their investment in the term, well within their rights to try (not necessarily succeed) to protect their interests without being demonised. I see their side of this as entirely legitimate.

Rahk

Omi said:

Silent Hunter III
Heroes over Europe
Call of Juarez® Bound in Blood - claimed by - trinest
- claimed by a mate
XIII

HAWX 2 still available?

Not sure what the difference is between the two? Is one the DLC? I'd be willing to take both if no one wants the DLC. ;)

Thanks for sharing for those of us that missed out!

Fredescu

Rez said:
From my perspective, "Car Store" would be the equivalent of "Application Store".
"Car" is a recognised generic contraction like "app".

Rez said:
well within their rights to try (not necessarily succeed) to protect their interests without being demonised. I see their side of this as entirely legitimate.
Yeah I agree with that. I have no idea which side is actually legally in the right.

camerooni

Neo Member
Rez said:
From my perspective, "Car Store" would be the equivalent of "Application Store". I mean, sure, "Automotive Store" or something would be the literal equivalent, but if we're talking about public usage versus any one company's strong arming of a phrase, I don't feel like 'car' owes as much to any one company as App does to Apple.

But yes, it is a greyish area. I guess all I'm saying is that I think Apple are, given their investment in the term, well within their rights to try (not necessarily succeed) to protect their interests without being demonised. I see their side of this as entirely legitimate.

The warez community owns app as the singular form of appz!
lol :p

Plus the only reason it's called an App Store as opposed to the Application Store is the silly character limit on application titles :p (Much like it's called Voice Memos as opposed to Voice Recorder)

Omikron

Rahk said:
HAWX 2 still available?

Not sure what the difference is between the two? Is one the DLC? I'd be willing to take both if no one wants the DLC. ;)

Thanks for sharing for those of us that missed out!

No probs, will send you the keys/links :)

Choc

Banned
amazons is called 'amazon appstore'.

not just app store

Also RIM calls theirs app world

seems app is not the problem

not just app store

hmm d hmm could be very interesting how this goes....

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/piracy-are-we-being-conned-20110322-1c4cs.html

That is an amazing story lols

Acting on information from MIPI, police seized "close to 100 CD burners and approximately 25,000 discs containing pirate music housed in a suburban CD store".

Of the 25,000 "pirate" CDs that MIPI claimed it seized, 14,600 were blanks, while the remaining discs were mostly of Asian artists which the store, Lucky Bubble, had a legitimate license to re-produce.

Less than 100 of the discs were proven to be pirated copies and the charges were dropped to the lowest possible level. The manager of the store, who claims the handful of pirated discs were placed in his shop by staff, in the end was let go with a $1500 fine.

"This whole operation from the start has just been a monumental stuff up by MIPI," said barrister Doug Potter, who represented the defence in this matter but has 18 years experience with Victoria Police and has previously helped MIPI with its prosecutions.

"This bloke's got a legitimate license to be selling material and they've tried to characterise him as the greatest pirate in Australia. If their assessment is right they don't have a piracy problem, it's as simple as that."

Yes, Apple has worked hard to make 'App Store' synonymous with iDevices, but on the other hand if they wanted a recognisable name that couldn't be used elsewhere they should've called it the iApp Store (or something not so crap).

"App" is hardly a new term. Can you guys think of any example where a company has tried to maintain "ownership" of such a generic term and succeeded? It happens the other way around in the US quite a bit ("Xerox", "Kleenex", etc)...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So i guess my steam shit should be sorted out within a week, Maybe.

The bank has gone ahead and sent the money back to valve, I won't see the debits on my account since they are absorbing the cost due to them fucking up. In theory valve should see the money within the next 48 hours, So let's see how that goes.

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
Yes, Apple has worked hard to make 'App Store' synonymous with iDevices, but on the other hand if they wanted a recognisable name that couldn't be used elsewhere they should've called it the iApp Store (or something not so crap).

"App" is hardly a new term. Can you guys think of any example where a company has tried to maintain "ownership" of such a generic term and succeeded? It happens the other way around in the US quite a bit ("Xerox", "Kleenex", etc)...

apple announcing the iphone without ciscos permission who had a trademark on the iphone name was probably the best example of this......

pot.kettle.black

lol apple had to pay citrix so much to keep that name

Fredescu

evlcookie said:
So i guess my steam shit should be sorted out within a week, Maybe.

The bank has gone ahead and sent the money back to valve, I won't see the debits on my account since they are absorbing the cost due to them fucking up. In theory valve should see the money within the next 48 hours, So let's see how that goes.
Nice. As a result of your email to the head honcho?

Choc said:
apple announcing the iphone without ciscos permission who had a trademark on the iphone name was probably the best example of this......
That's a pretty good point, with the IOS stuff. I couldn't imagine Apple wouldn't have picked up on it. IMO they just tried to muscle in despite knowing it was an already-used name. Though probably not that widely known outside of tech circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom