• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bernbaum said:
Spotted: passive-agressive note in my gym's change room-

Damn, haven't seen one of those since my sharehouse days.

Ugh. I have certain family members who send me this kinda shit via text message, and then follow it up with a smiley face to make it "nice".

giri

Kritz said:
DA2 was bad and you should feel bad.

And every single boss fight in the game was terrible, because it was nothing more than attacking some asshole with a massive health bar for ten minutes. My party was full DPS (Fenris with 50-60 attack, Varric with 50-60 dex, Avaline as the tank and myself as another rouge with 40-50 dex), and even then it took forfuckingever to kill anything.

The battles weren't hard, and it's not like having a mage would have helped. Bleh.

Didn't like it at all.
The boss fights aren't as tense or interesting as DA:O, but they were still very inline with the rest of the game. Mages defenitely gave out the best DPS though, and i had 2 in my party. Avaline, Merill, Isabella, me (mage). Avaline didn'teven tank that often, i just had so much crowd control, that it didn't matter. I seriously considered switching in Fenris instead. Rogues certainly weren't far behind, particularly as i specced merill heavily (read all) of the debuff tree.

The game wasn't bad, it just wasn't DAO. For what it was, it was fun. It was a bit more about killing mass hordes of enemies, than overly complex single enemies like in DAO. Sort of like the comparison between Baldurs Gate (DAO) [complex but small amount of enemies] and Ice wind dale series (DA2) [simple but giant hordes of enemies].

I found my self only needing to go back to a traditional mix once, against the high dragon. (Tank, Healer, & 2dps). I did find that in the 3rd "chapter" that there was quite a few bugged quests.

I liked DAO, and i liked DA2. I think i played DA2 more .... full on. But i think as an experience i enjoyed DAO more.

Stripper13 said:
So..... Any news on crysis 2? Are many AusGAFers getting it? Any word on early release or amazing deals? Didn't see anything about it on Ecogamer.

Doesn't someone here in AusGAF run Ecogamer? Regardless, well done - it's an awesome site and I frequently visit (usually daily) and I tend to check out the affiliates too.

I hold ecogamer partially responsible for the fact that I can only get about $2 for any trade ins these days.

Also re iced milk beverages, this shit is good too:

nippys.jpg

BanShunsaku said:
I hold ecogamer partially responsible for the fact that I can only get about $2 for any trade ins these days.

Also re iced milk beverages, this shit is good too:

nippys.jpg

Yeah I see your point about trade values. The site goes into a frenzy whenever someone finds a way to make $5. Realistically I want a site that has a list of upcoming and recent releases with prices that can be sorted by lowest/highest and brick & mortar/online/import.

It's a shame that I have to scroll through half baked reviews and affiliate plugs to find concrete information.

As for flavored milk, Breaka or go home.

Stripper13 said:
So..... Any news on crysis 2? Are many AusGAFers getting it? Any word on early release or amazing deals? Didn't see anything about it on Ecogamer.

Pre-order in with Ozgameshop on PC.
Thought the multi-player demo was excellent. Only FPS I've been hyped for in a loooong time.

Kritz

Banned
I just saw the windows 7 beta fish.

I like that fish.

Also, I have crisis 2 commin' frpm some import shop. Not interested in it at all. It just looks like another call of duty clone. I'll save my empathy for Portal 2.

Bernbaum

Good thing the first Crysis and Warhead are highly replayable with their open areas, range of abilities and variety of tactics. It’s pretty much the FarCry 2 of FPS games. I don’t mind at all if sequels are dramatically different from the original – even if it’s a step back as in the case of Crysis 2. It doesn’t make the original stop existing.

Flavoured milk is instantly rewarding with its sweet, stomach-filling goodness, but after that it leaves a feeling of bloated glugginess and regret. It’s pretty much the KFC of beverages.

Agyar

giri said:
Dragon Age 2 stuff

I started playing DA2 yesterday. Really disappointed by the jump ahead in time after reaching Kirkwall. Game encourages you to spend time choosing a faction to sign up with for your indentured servitude and then throws up a loading screen and fast forwards to everyone going "how about that last year, huh?" and Hawke trying to get into a Deep Roads expedition for no apparent reason. I was really getting pumped to be a smuggler.

Jintor

Stripper13 said:

I can't tell you anything about prices, but I can tell you that it's pretty baller.

Mar

Agyar said:
I started playing DA2 yesterday. Really disappointed by the jump ahead in time after reaching Kirkwall. Game encourages you to spend time choosing a faction to sign up with for your indentured servitude and then throws up a loading screen and fast forwards to everyone going "how about that last year, huh?" and Hawke trying to get into a Deep Roads expedition for no apparent reason. I was really getting pumped to be a smuggler.

Played it for the first time last night too.

I like the combat. While it's essentially the same as the first DA, now you mash a button for no other reason than to feel more engaged. That kind of worked for me once I got used to it.

I don't like that manual targeting has no audible cue confirming your selection. In the first, when you targeted something the character would say "right" or "yes". It took me quite a while to realise my manual targeting was actually working in DA2 because there was nothing indicating that my selection was selecting (other than the attack symbol pulsing).

The story is engaging and I've enjoyed it much more than the first game so far, however like you, I have a bit of a problem with my decisions disappearing as soon as I make them. The smuggler vs merc choice being the example. Though to be honest, I wasn't looking forward to doing random fetch quests anyway so was kind of pleased they just jumped past it.

What's annoying me quite a bit so far however is there is minimal engagement with my party members. Whereas in DA you'd go to camp and open all manner of dialogue trees with characters, so far in DA2 there's nothing of the sort. To be fair, I'm not very far into the game and I imagine these opportunities arise at some point... I hope.

Otherwise, I'm a bit disappointed no characters have come along that immediately represent bonable material. Other than the chick in the time lapse cut scenes anyway.

Rahk

-Deadpool- said:
Question for AusGAF.

Looking to getting an e-book reader. Any opinions on the Kindle? Best place to buy? (Or alternatives for around the same coin?)

And cliffs on how it works, downloads/purchasing sites.

Can you get magazines (eg. NatGeo)? Comics?
I haven't used any E-Readers apart from the Kindle 3 I bought a couple week ago, but I love it. The text is pretty much the same as reading a book. Much better for reading than iPhone/iPad.

Unfortunately it appears they have to region lock some books on Amazon (Feast for Crows is one I've come across), no doubt due to retailers. It is possible to simply change your region to America, however if you download a book in Australia over 3G while your region is set to US you might get hit with roaming charges or something. Haven't tried it though so I'm not entirely sure, this is just what I found from a quick Google. Should be fine if you buy over wifi/PC.

Fortunately, you can convert any DRM free books to Kindle format using Calibre. Pretty simple to do and takes just a minute, so you can still buy e-books from other sites if you choose. Bit more of a hassle than simply buying on the Kindle, but the option is there.

I ordered one of these awesome cases: http://www.oberondesign.com/Kindle3.php Slightly pricey though.

Jintor said:
I can't tell you anything about prices, but I can tell you that it's pretty baller.

Yeah I figured as much. The 2nd 360 demo was amazing - a really awesome take on the COD formula. The SP footage has me jizzing over Halo campaign vibes - and the graphics are eye melting for a console game. So I've been hyped for ages, however many of my friends etc found the demo shit (they are COD fans through and through) and didn't appreciate the visuals or the abilities/options available. So I'm starting to wonder just how much interest there is.

Anyway, tomorrow can't come soon enough.

I got region-free Crysis 2 (360) from Play Asia for $53 shipped (with a few bucks going to Japan, apparently)

also- started DLing some of those $0 Freebisoft games while I was out looking for a printer. Looks like I picked the right month to increase my monthly quota

excited? not so much. Just make sure when you use a knife to cut open the box that you use a shallow slicing action.

Jintor

Stripper13 said:
Yeah I figured as much. The 2nd 360 demo was amazing - a really awesome take on the COD formula. The SP footage has me jizzing over Halo campaign vibes - and the graphics are eye melting for a console game. So I've been hyped for ages, however many of my friends etc found the demo shit (they are COD fans through and through) and didn't appreciate the visuals or the abilities/options available. So I'm starting to wonder just how much interest there is.

Anyway, tomorrow can't come soon enough.

I want to play more multi, man. I sure hope the PC version can get its .ini options hacked so I can customize settings like the original, though.

Kritz

Banned
Bernbaum said:
Good thing the first Crysis and Warhead are highly replayable with their open areas, range of abilities and variety of tactics. It’s pretty much the FarCry 2 of FPS games. I don’t mind at all if sequels are dramatically different from the original – even if it’s a step back as in the case of Crysis 2. It doesn’t make the original stop existing.

Sure, it doesn't retroactively make the previous game worse.

But I kind of like it when new games are better than old games, because I like playing new games, and if they are better than old ones it helps justify all the money I spend on this hobby instead of on important things, like drugs.

guidop

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Today I discovered that I love the nutty (and meggy, I suppose) taste of nutmeg!

I'm going to put it in all my coffees from now on.

Next time you cook pasta with a tomato / pomodoro sauce add some to it. Netmeg goes amazing with cooked tomato, just don't add to much

giri

Agyar said:
DA2 stuff.
Mar said:
DA 2 stuff

I sort of felt the same way Mar did about the happy not doing the same fetch quest over and over at a low level stuck in the town. But i can see how the pre-amble to the choice is bit of a let down if you really got into it. It does alter some quest lines that open up later (pre- dark roads) though, so thats good, and it does affect some ineractions with merchants.

Spoiler, get used to it skipping years in time though. But never as disjointed as that first one.

The comppanion driven stuff opens up more after the dark roads, where you start to get your full compliment of companions. It's not AS involved as DAO, but still very relevant, and the choices you make with them can affect the end game. And the backgrounds are very different and each story ok enough to listen too. So don't fret, it's there, and it's good.

If you loaded a previous save of DAO to start the game, there are several nice tie-ins too.

It's maybe not AS polished as DAO, but the bugs are few and far between, i only really noticed 2, and 1 was just a marker on the map not going away.

Also i'd bone isabele and merill
i boned both in the one play through, and still completed a full romance with one!

giri

Gazunta said:
My boxes of comics for Supanova arrived today - so now I will celebrate with a chocolate Breaka. WHO'S EXCITED, I AM EXCITED.
Whens supanova? i feel like i should go to stalk gaz and purchase his crummy comics!
his comics are awesome

Agyar

giri said:
Also i'd bone isabele and merill
i boned both in the one play through, and still completed a full romance with one!
I similarly boned both Morrigan and Leliana in Origins. Also had a massive all-in orgy with Isabella, which led to a nice reference in DA2 when speaking to her in which knew states that she "knew" the warden.

Also for Mar, there are similar dialogue opportunities for party members but they occur at the member's "home base" (e.g. The Hanged Man for Isabella).

Kritz said:
What, no. My dragon age review was totally legit. :p

(*hides metacritic bribe money*)
Your review was the best thing to come out of DA2.

Crysis 2 is awesome and hopefully I can talk a few people into buying it for 360 and have it replace Reach as the go to multiplayer game for us. Loved the beta and love Free Radical. Single Player is linear but still more openended than any other FPS in recent memory.

iPad 2 hype is silly, just goes to show that Apple can re-release their products every 12 months and still sellout. I would LOVE to be a part of their Marketing team. Absolute legends. They really shouldn't open sales at close of work on a Friday though, glad I live in Geelong so it's a non-issue for me. A few mates in Melbourne have already vented their annoyance on the Facebook of course.

So sports betting advertisement hey? Makes a boatload of money for teams and the governing bodies but at the cost of a bunch of gambling addicts who ruin their families lives? Or is gambling addiction a myth just like nymphomania and female teachers having sex with students? Should the advertising rules go back to the way they were several years ago? Since Andrew Wilkie hates Pokies is he all over this issue too? Isn't the situation similar to how tobacco companies advertised in motor racing? What responsibility's do the sports team have socially because of they coming from gamblers? Would abolishing spot fixing just move it underground like in the subcontinent? Will anyone release a better album than Dance Gavin Dance this year? Is there anything cuter than kittens?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't buy an iPad 1, neither did a few of my friends, so we're jumping on now.

The majority of people don't have an iPad. I'd assume the excitement is primarily coming from a subsection of those people.

Rez said:
I didn't buy an iPad 1, neither did a few of my friends, so we're jumping on now.

The majority of people don't have an iPad. I'd assume the excitement is primarily coming from a subsection of those people.
If you didn't buy it the first time around are you camping out to make sure you are one of the first to get one on Friday?

I didn't really have enough money to get the iPad one last year and by the time I did I figured I might as well wait for the 2nd iteration. So I'm ordering online. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to arrive.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
iPad 2 hype is silly, just goes to show that Apple can re-release their products every 12 months and still sellout. I would LOVE to be a part of their Marketing team. Absolute legends. They really shouldn't open sales at close of work on a Friday though, glad I live in Geelong so it's a non-issue for me. A few mates in Melbourne have already vented their annoyance on the Facebook of course.
Did... I know that you live in Geelong? I remember there was someone (other than me) from here but thought it was someone else.

High five!

Shaneus said:
Did... I know that you live in Geelong? I remember there was someone (other than me) from here but thought it was someone else.

High five!
You like Archer AND live in Geelong? High five indeed mate. I actually live in Lara so I'm not really in Geelong but I work in Waurn Ponds and lived there for 5 years. I've only been a gaffer for about a month so it could have been someone else too.

Edit: Just checked out your blog, very popular. One of your posts has 51 comments! Do you still make much music? I think you did that DJ set at 4play when it came back into popularity at uni, spent many drunken rambling nights with a mate trying to convert people to non-religion. Also see you like Underworld which means you remember how freaking awesome the album they released last year was, one of the albums of the year without a doubt. Great year of Electronic music. Pendulum redeemed themselves, so did Chemical Bros. Alright I'll stop being creepy stalker now.

2nd Edit:
Scientist said:
Wow i also live in Lara. Haha this blows my mind.
If you live in the unit behind me I will vomit in terror.

guidop

my gawd watching some of this "Carbon tax" protest and the footage is hilarious. Tony is doing himself a dis-service associating with those loons

reptilescorpio said:
You like Archer AND live in Geelong? High five indeed mate. I actually live in Lara so I'm not really in Geelong but I work in Waurn Ponds and lived there for 5 years. I've only been a gaffer for about a month so it could have been someone else too.
Wow i also live in Lara. Haha this blows my mind.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:

Edit: Just checked out your blog, very popular. One of your posts has 51 comments! Do you still make much music? I think you did that DJ set at 4play when it came back into popularity at uni, spent many drunken rambling nights with a mate trying to convert people to non-religion. Also see you like Underworld which means you remember how freaking awesome the album they released last year was, one of the albums of the year without a doubt. Great year of Electronic music. Pendulum redeemed themselves, so did Chemical Bros. Alright I'll stop being creepy stalker now.
Yikes, holy shit etc. PS. Those comments are all (and I mean ALL spam).

Oh, get yourself to the electronic music threadtoo if you like. Plenty of electronic music-GAF over there, myself included :)

Danoss

Rahk said:
It is possible to simply change your region to America, however if you download a book in Australia over 3G while your region is set to US you might get hit with roaming charges or something. Haven't tried it though so I'm not entirely sure, this is just what I found from a quick Google. Should be fine if you buy over wifi/PC.
This may have changed since I last did it because I haven't bought over 3G for a long time (as you can see by the date below). I found that if you buy or have a kindle book delivered over 3G in Australia, regardless of where your region is set, you will be hit with an "International Book Service" fee.

Like so:

ijWGMw.png

Now I just download on the PC and load directly onto my Kindle 2 via USB. This is obviously more convenient with the new Kindle 3 wi-fi.

Weird, I've bought a couple of dozen books over 3g on my kindle 3 and never paid any fees...

Edit: But I've only had my kindle since last August so I guess they changed it

Agyar

reptilescorpio said:
iPad 2 hype is silly, just goes to show that Apple can re-release their products every 12 months and still sellout. I would LOVE to be a part of their Marketing team. Absolute legends.

I don't understand why this is the battle-cry of the Apple hater. Releasing new/updated products every 12 months is hardly an Apple-exclusive behaviour. I cannot think of one competitor in any of Apple's markets that updates their product lines less frequently and on the odd occassion they do, it's usually seen as falling behind or the product line being abandoned.

Is it just because other manufacturers manage to bamboozle you with inconsistent and divergent designs that you think Apple is in fact releasing the exact same product and fooling millions when they keep the designs and features that perform well?

Axiom

Dragon Age 2 was pretty damn good.

Charisma Carpenter replacing Julie Benz at Supanova is an affront to me personally.

Xbox I won should be coming next week, the game I won with it will come next month...buh?

OkCupid is seriously depressing these days.

Agyar said:
I don't understand why this is the battle-cry of the Apple hater. Releasing new/updated products every 12 months is hardly an Apple-exclusive behaviour. I cannot think of one competitor in any of Apple's markets that updates their product lines less frequently and on the odd occassion they do, it's usually seen as falling behind or the product line being abandoned.

Is it just because other manufacturers manage to bamboozle you with inconsistent and divergent designs that you think Apple is in fact releasing the exact same product and fooling millions when they keep the designs and features that perform well?

Wouldn't call myself a hater, i get a lot of use out of my 2nd gen iPod touch and plan on picking up a first gen wifi iPad cheap. I was more commenting on the fact that people I know have sold their iPads so they can buy almost exactly the same thing on Friday. I look at Apples revisions the same way that car manufacturers re-release models as Mark I, Mark II. I understand it is to fix flaws in a timely manner and not have to spend stupid amounts of money in R&D but I would have the same response if my friends who bought a BA falcon in 2003 and then traded it in towards the Mark II in 2004. Seems excessively wasteful. When the PSOne came out I didn't trade my original unit for it, I only got one when my original died. Same with every console I have had. Nintendo also do a similar thing. My DSPhat could still play 99% of games until the 3DS arrived.

So to me the hype is silly, I don't see it as a brand new iPad. I see it as a slight revision. Apple simply knows what their fans want and market directly to them, new customers come along because they make damn fine products regardless of when you pick them up. Both them and Nintendo are companies I would love to see marketing documents released from, as a marketing graduate it is the kind of stuff that is right up my alley.

Edit:
axiom said:
Charisma Carpenter replacing Julie Benz at Supanova is an affront to me personally.
I had a bigger crush on Charisma Carpenter than Benz during the Buffy years so I'll take it as a slight win.

Also I agree that digital releases should be worldwide and not staggered as if there is a truck/boat bringing the data to me.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Apple is in a unique position with pushing out new items every 12 months, No one else really does it in the IT industry as good as they do. I think the problem with the anti apple crowd is that they see it as you're forced to buy an entire new machine every year since you're told it's just THAT much better when in reality it isn't at all. It's adding that 1 feature like thunderbolt that tells you it's sooo goood even though it probably won't get used until next years macbook model since there's stuff all support for it right now.

I guess it's like buying a 2009 model car on day 1 and then buying the 2010 model on day 1, Who the fuck does that? No one does. Most people have their PCs for 2+ years yet apple turns around and acts like you need a new one every 12 months. I'm sure most people have their cars until they smash it into a tree which could be 1 week or 5+ years, There's little reason to upgrade if something isn't wrong.

It's not a simple upgrade path like with a PC, it's a brand new $1300 - $3000 machine every year.

No one really needs it and it's more about the apple fanboy hive mind that makes you believe you really need to get this updated piece of hardware because it can do something you don't really do 2x faster. If you don't have the latest and greatest apple product then you're clearly not worthy of their time either, You're not up with the crowd and all the cool shit.

Both sides have their points and neither is right or wrong.

Apple just really has the "package" to do it all with. You get the apple hardware and software all in one. If Google turned around and said here's our Google phone and OS, No one else is able to use it, I honestly think Android would be bigger than it is right now. Since you have all the other handset manufactures dicking around with their own hardware versions and android versions, It's a little bit of a cluster fuck and you can't get a group of people all that excited about it.

Danoss

reptilescorpio said:
I had a bigger crush on Charisma Carpenter than Benz during the Buffy years so I'll take it as a slight win.
Totally agree. I was surprised when I found out what her age was on Buffy.

She won't be at the Sydney show, so it won't affect me. Only she bottom of the barrel show up at Supernova Sydney (bar a very select few).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom