• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
Mar said:
The video you posted gave it 5/5 though... I think I'll remove it if it's just a joke video. Perhaps post those on kritz.net?

Consider who you're talking to here and take on board hyperbole and history of making shit up.

yeah and Danoss is backing me up..............

The fact is that they are causing a problem that can be avoided, it does not need to happen. Therefore it should not happen.

Fredescu

Mar said:
Consider who you're talking to here and take on board hyperbole and history of making shit up.
He's right in this case though. Deliberately packing the footpaths of the Sydney CBD at peak foot traffic time is potentially dangerous.

Shaneus

Choc said:
Codral cold and flu does not use psueoephadrine anymore. This is why you are no longer asked to see your licence when you buy it

so you can get that :)
Appreciate the tip, but I hadn't had anything for colds and flu for a while so I figured I'd be able to handle it fine. Think I need to find something to satisfy my annoyingly short yet eager attention span ;)

Ooh, iPhone games!

jambo

Can't wait for the Friday night aftermath, I'll be watching the news and following the ABCNews Twitter feed for the updates.

I'm predicting 20-30 dead, hundreds injured. Taking bets.

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
Can't wait for the Friday night aftermath, I'll be watching the news and following the ABCNews Twitter feed for the updates.

I'm predicting 20-30 dead, hundreds injured. Taking bets.

you don't get it. The apple store is SMACK BANG in the middle of the financial district of the sydney cbd

thousands upon thousands of people work in that area, and all generally leave around 5pm. George street is full of people even without this and i struggle to walk along it without almost running into like 50 people (as do most people who walk it)

unless you live in Sydney you really do not understand. Fred even agrees.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/tablets/glitches-emerge-in-ipad-2/story-fn6vigfp-1226026584248

i CANNOT believe that article says 'fanbois'

what the fuck is wrong with journalism in this country.

lols
Jetstar_Sydney-420x0.jpg

jambo

Let's wait and see then, only 2 and a half days till the release.

And that article is laughable. It mentions the yellow tinge of the glue, but fails to mention the yellow tinge goes away.

Screen bleeding is bad though, hope the Aussie units don't have that issue.

Mar

It's no giant conspiracy though. People like queuing for these things, and people like to see queues. Look at all the fuss it creates just here on GAF when Japan queues for consoles and video games.

If you need to point the finger at anyone point the finger at the people who get excited about this stuff.

Also, who the hell cares if some cold hearted businessman gets upset that he can't freely walk up the street on one day in the calendar year. Yes people are shitty in Sydney but it's for this very reason alone. People can't stop and acknowledge someone having a good time. We don't all have to be sheep led to and from our houses.

Choc

Banned
Someone has to avoid the queue, walks on the road, gets hit

apples fault. Yes you will say the person should look and of course they should but it could happen and it wouldn't have if the queue wasn't there.

I just think having a queue at that very specific time is stupid.

By the way, there is a bus stop right outside the apple store people use to get home

great huh.

You all say this isnt a problem with morning launches and this is true, because people arrive at all different times in the morning due to train times etc

in the afternoon generally everyone leaves 5pm, and then just people everywhere

Fredescu

Mar said:
Yes people are shitty in Sydney but it's for this very reason alone. People can't stop and acknowledge someone having a good time.
Street performers need permits to use the councils footpaths. Why shouldn't some giant corporation who wants to use them for free marketing do the same.

markot

Banned
Why doesnt the ipad have pen input? It would be worth it if they just added that feature. Who wants to use the onscreen keyboard for typing lecture notes >_<?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
markot said:
Why doesnt the ipad have pen input? It would be worth it if they just added that feature. Who wants to use the onscreen keyboard for typing lecture notes >_<?

You can buy a pen for it, Just a third party one.

But it might not be as awesome as a real pen, It's thicker like a texta i guess. Could be a real pen like one out there but i haven't seen one and i have nfi which app would even let you do hand writing.

markot

Banned
Danoss said:
Id rather just put the ipad in my lap and use it as a notebook at times. The fact that you cant is just udderly ridiculous.
Uh, by notebook I mean the kind you write in, not a laptop >.<

I would honestly get one if they had that feature. And I hate apple >.>!

Question for AusGAF.

Looking to getting an e-book reader. Any opinions on the Kindle? Best place to buy? (Or alternatives for around the same coin?)

And cliffs on how it works, downloads/purchasing sites.

Can you get magazines (eg. NatGeo)? Comics?

Fredescu

Choc said:
the MELANIE VALLEJO is hot. She is the chick from the famous Oak milk ad :)
She was in Rafters for a while too *

* is what I would say if I watched that show. Obviously I don't, so this is a guess.

-Deadpool- said:
Looking to getting an e-book reader. Any opinions on the Kindle? Best place to buy? (Or alternatives for around the same coin?)
I don't have one, but have used it. If you're a heavy reader and don't mind switching from physical books, it's pretty good. I don't know of any regular reader who has disliked it.

-Deadpool- said:
And cliffs on how it works, downloads/purchasing sites.
I think you're pretty much limited to Amazon (I don't own one, so can't confirm), though there are ways to get around it.

-Deadpool- said:
Can you get magazines (eg. NatGeo)? Comics?
It's only good for text, so image-heavy publications wouldn't be very good. The Kindle does do graphics, but for a start they're monochrome...

codswallop said:
I don't have one, but have used it. If you're a heavy reader and don't mind switching from physical books, it's pretty good. I don't know of any regular reader who has disliked it.

I think you're pretty much limited to Amazon (I don't own one, so can't confirm), though there are ways to get around it.

It's only good for text, so image-heavy publications wouldn't be very good. The Kindle does do graphics, but for a start they're monochrome...

Thanks for all that. Can't see me having a problem switching from books. Tend to read in bed now so not having to hold up 500-1000 pages should be good.

Naa, all good, just wondered if there were other options besides Amazon.

Monochrome doesn't bother me, NatGeo for example I read cover to cover now, but just wondered if you could get them in e-book format, and if stuff like graphs/tables etc (that are used pretty heavily) transfer over well enough. Might stick to hard copies for that stuff though.

Kritz

Banned
Mar said:
The video you posted gave it 5/5 though... I think I'll remove it if it's just a joke video. Perhaps post those on kritz.net?
What, no. My dragon age review was totally legit. :p

(*hides metacritic bribe money*)

Gazunta

Honestly, I can't see the attraction for Kindles etc after using an iPad. (I admit that's based on me reading a LOT of comics on the device)

But you definitely can't beat the price point of dedicated e-readers and the screens are nice.

And yes Choc Melanie Vajelo is yum.

I'm spending my lunch break drawing a comic for a NZ relief appeal book. Whooooo buildings are fun and easy to draw :(

Gazunta said:
Honestly, I can't see the attraction for Kindles etc after using an iPad. (I admit that's based on me reading a LOT of comics on the device)

But you definitely can't beat the price point of dedicated e-readers and the screens are nice.

Definitely key for me. $600 (plus) versus ~$250?

It would have been good to do comics on the side, but it's not worth the difference personally.

legend166

Choc said:
Media analyst Steve Allen says Top Gear ratings are down 42 per cent compared to last year.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...gs/story-e6frfmyi-1226026711371#ixzz1HO0QjcEj

probably because the useless channel 9 arseholes cut features so they can fit more ads

there's one reason.

also

Winners and Losers is the packed to the rafters for Gen X and Y. Kinda enjoyed it :|

the MELANIE VALLEJO is hot. She is the chick from the famous Oak milk ad :)

Not only that, but Channel 9 were playing like 5-6 episodes a week across 9 and Go for awhile there. Massive oversaturation.

Gazunta said:
iPad is expensive, Kindle is cheap.
iPad has colour screen, Kindle monochrome (you could look for a Nook though, if you wanted colour).
iPad has short battery life. Kindle can last months (haven't tested personally, my father uses it daily and rarely charges it).
iPad does lots, Kindle is for reading.

I would imagine if I had an iPad and tried to use it for reading, I'd just end up on GAF or trawling through my RSS feeds instead.

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
iPad is expensive, Kindle is cheap.
iPad has colour screen, Kindle monochrome (you could look for a Nook though, if you wanted colour).
iPad has short battery life. Kindle can last months (haven't tested personally, my father uses it daily and rarely charges it).
iPad does lots, Kindle is for reading.

I would imagine if I had an iPad and tried to use it for reading, I'd just end up on GAF or trawling through my RSS feeds instead.

kindle has free 3g internet

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
-Deadpool- said:
Definitely key for me. $600 (plus) versus ~$250?

It would have been good to do comics on the side, but it's not worth the difference personally.
$450 for 16GB and Wifi, to be fair. Anyone who knowingly pays hundreds of dollars more than needed for extra hard-drive space is insane.

Hey guys, there is one more spot left for the AusGAF Dream Team.

Round 1 kicks off tomorrow night, which is also the cutoff for Dream Team. If you want, just sign up now, and then complete your team when you have free time either tonight or tomorrow.

We're so close to having a full league of GAFers, so if you're at all interested, make sure you get on it! Remember that there is only one spot left!

Link

The Invite Code is 321888.

Danoss

Rez said:
$450 for 16GB and Wifi, to be fair.
Until the old stock is depleted, then it's back to $579.

Deadpool, the Kindle wi-fi is $232 including the case with a light and couriered to your house. Absolute bargain, I rarely leave home without mine.

codswallop said:
Does that work in Australia? Wow...

It does, but is uses vodafone network. 'Nuff said.

Also, my 2c on the kindle:

I was skeptical, but after using my partner's for a bit I grabbed one for myself, and have never looked back. I find myself reading much more than I used to simply because of how easy it is to take with me everywhere.

Also, one of the guys at work got this when searching for some directions. He wasn't even looking for a pub, it just popped up:

zvx4pl.jpg

Danoss said:
Until the old stock is depleted, then it's back to $579.

Deadpool, the Kindle wi-fi is $232 including the case with a light and couriered to your house. Absolute bargain, I rarely leave home without mine.

Fantastic.

Going to grab something this week.

Shaneus

Gazunta said:
And yes Choc Melanie Vajelo is yum.
Where the hell have I seen her before? We don't get Oak milk ads here in Vic... I think it was an ad for something else but I just can't place it.

This is gonna destroy my afternoon :(

r1chard

-Deadpool- said:

Other people have already said stuff about this, but as someone who's used an iPad and a couple of e-ink readers (Kindle 1st edition and an Eco Reader) I've got a couple of things:

1. e-ink is vastly superior to any backlit screen (eg. iPad, phone, laptop, ...) for long duration reading, and for reading in bright or subdued lighting (ie. on a train or at night in bed).
2. the kindle is superior to pretty much any other e-ink based device: it's typically faster, lighter and most importantly there's a significantly larger range of books available for purchase through a store that's significantly easier to use.

I struggle to buy books for my Eco Reader - often resorting to proxying through my employer's Boston office and borrowing a co-worker's US credit card so I can buy books from US stores. Then there's the pain of getting the book on the device via a computer (well, iDevice users would be happily familiar with that situation). On the other hand my friend sitting next to me pokes at his Kindle a bit and in a few moments the same book is on his reader. No proxying, no US credit card, no moving files about and through the craptulant Adobe Digital Editions crapware.

Fredescu

Shaneus said:
Where the hell have I seen her before? We don't get Oak milk ads here in Vic... I think it was an ad for something else but I just can't place it.
It was for Dare Iced Coffee. You don't get those ads?

Bernbaum

Spotted: passive-agressive note in my gym's change room-

rrr4sh.jpg

Damn, haven't seen one of those since my sharehouse days.

Long after being entertained by his twitterfeed and public displays of inane hilarity, I have discovered the music of Kanye West. Wow.

The iTunes store has a kindle app. This delights me.

'Just Natural' is the flavoured milk for me.

So..... Any news on crysis 2? Are many AusGAFers getting it? Any word on early release or amazing deals? Didn't see anything about it on Ecogamer.

Doesn't someone here in AusGAF run Ecogamer? Regardless, well done - it's an awesome site and I frequently visit (usually daily) and I tend to check out the affiliates too.

Stripper13 said:
Any word on early release or amazing deals? Didn't see anything about it on Ecogamer.
http://www.gamecafe.com.au/GamePrices.aspx?p=PC&Search=crysis 2
http://www.gamecafe.com.au/GamePrices.aspx?p=XBOX_360&Search=crysis 2
http://www.gamecafe.com.au/GamePrices.aspx?p=PS3&Search=crysis 2

Bernbaum said:
Long after being entertained by his twitterfeed and public displays of inane hilarity, I have discovered the music of Kanye West. Wow.
The best Kanye-related Twitter feed was the one that put "Liz Lemon, " at the start of each of Kanye's tweets.

http://twitter.com/KanyeJordan

Bernbaum

Stripper13 said:
So..... Any news on crysis 2? Are many AusGAFers getting it? Any word on early release or amazing deals? Didn't see anything about it on Ecogamer.

Doesn't someone here in AusGAF run Ecogamer? Regardless, well done - it's an awesome site and I frequently visit (usually daily) and I tend to check out the affiliates too.
Anthony doesn't post here. That site isn't quite as good as it used to be and neither is AusGAF for that matter unless it's for 'OMFG free crap'.

PCAusGAF will wait for the PC port of Crysis 2 to get patched post-release.

jambo

Stripper13 said:
So..... Any news on crysis 2? Are many AusGAFers getting it?

Got it on Steam, just waiting for it to unlock.

If you happen to live in Adelaide, EB Games and JB HiFi in Rundle Mall regularly break street release date so there's a good chance it's already on sale :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom