• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

That compilation thing is fucking annoying. I listen to 2 hour podcasts and they all have 20 or songs from different artists, so every time I update my iPhone I have to tell it these podcasts are compilations or they get listed 20 times each.

>=[

So, is it just me or is Dead Space (the first one) really not that good a game, and in parts quite frustrating?

Every time I try to make a valiant push to finish it, it stonewalls me with yet another "fuck you" moment and I leave it for a few weeks or months until I try to slog through it again.

Is the second one like this? I want to like it, but it's really making it difficult to do so.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I usually add my podcasts as AudioBooks, give them an arbitrary album title/track title that sorts well, and then set them to "remember position" and "skip when shuffling".

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kritz said:
Bit trip is pretty rad.

Anything that I can listen to podcasts over?
Drop 7 is king of podcast games, if you don't already have it.

Kritz

Banned
Yo', do you like enemy closets and annoying, obvious horror game tropes mixed into a self empowerment fantasy? If so, you'll love the bad game that is Dead Space.

jambo

Rez said:
I usually add my podcasts as AudioBooks, give them an arbitrary album title/track title that sorts well, and then set them to "remember position" and "skip when shuffling".

I use CUE files to split my podcasts up in to individual tracks, makes it a lot easier to listen to, don't have to scrub through an hour and a half to find a track.

Rez said:
Drop 7 is king of podcast games, if you don't already have it.

Drop 7 is more addictive than crack!

Bernbaum

Torchlight and podcasts go together like tea and scones.

Ready to dump a wad of cash on iPad apps and games. Now taking recommendations.

Gazunta

Bern, the four I just suggested (Well Poker Invaders is iPhone, but it's awesome), and:

Forget Me Not
Speedball 2
Galaxy On Fire 2

MrSerrels

I loved the first Dead Space, because it had a fully developed universe, well designed environments and (to begin with at least) it had some solid writing. Sort of got a bit hokey towards the end, and they continued in that vein for the sequel.

Shame.

legend166

I have to come up with some "Personal Stretch Goals" for my yearly review thingy.

What the hell?

Someone give me some generic ideas for things I may want to achieve at work this year.

Mar

codswallop said:
The music is stored in a special format because Apple want you to use iTunes.

WMA anyone? And unlike Microsoft, everyone is allowed to use the M4A (AAC) format.

See, just because everyone grew up on Windows, doesn't mean it's standard.

giri said:
It's a USB device, why the fuck do you need anymore software other than your OS ?

The core idea of iTunes is great. It's more a database than a bunch of files, and having album artwork, a store, conversion tools and all of that in one place is excellent. It's also a device management tool. However, it's now so complicated that it's really easy for shit to go bad.

codswallop said:
You can set iTunes not to try to sync libraries. Instead, you just drag and drop the files you want to put on the iPod from Windows Explorer onto the device in iTunes and it just copies them onto the iPod that way.

This does not solve the issue of the device wiping on occasion, trust me. I've always manually managed my iPods and phones.

Bernbaum

Thanks Gaz. Also on the list is Smallworld, Superbrothers: Swords and Sorcery and Collision Effect plus I'll have all the stuff from my iPhone.

Never took advantage of folders on the iPhone because swishing the screen back and forth gives me a little buzz. Will be looking to make my iPad a much tidier affair.

Gazunta

This conversation has led me to find out about and install CopyTrans Manager, which let me copy a mp3 direct to my device while at work. Lovely.

Ydahs

Since the topic's on iTunes I guess I might post the issue I've had for months now. Whenever I plug my iPod into my MAC it says that it's synced with another PC and I can't sync my music or backup my apps without formatting. Is there anyway to bypass this issue instead of formatting? I don't think it is synced on another computer...

And I can't format since I'll lose the songs I've bought through iTunes that arent synced.

Mar said:
WMA anyone? And unlike Microsoft, everyone is allowed to use the M4A (AAC) format.
I'm not talking about the audio compression format, but the actual files. They're not just stored on the device in the 'regular' way, but they are named oddly and do not appear to correspond with the size of the actual files once on the device.

MrSerrels said:
I loved the first Dead Space, because it had a fully developed universe, well designed environments and (to begin with at least) it had some solid writing.
These are the reasons I want to like the game. I don't even mind the monster closets so much if they're well-placed for maximum enjoyment. What I don't like are the moments where you're expected to do figure things out by trial and error. The error involves you dying because you're so frustrated at having almost no pointers. I don't want everything totally obvious, but when I die 10 times and spend 30 minutes on something I just turn it off.

The trial and error and death thing is what turned me off Limbo as well, even though I understand it was kind of the point, it didn't increase my enjoyment of it any more.

giri

Mar said:
The core idea of iTunes is great. It's more a database than a bunch of files, and having album artwork, a store, conversion tools and all of that in one place is excellent. It's also a device management tool. However, it's now so complicated that it's really easy for shit to go bad.

The idea of it's nice, but iTunes has always been a bloated piece of software. Steam used to get criticised for this, then it got a LOT better over time, it seems itunes never has. And do you know what, it doesn't negate the fact that it could do ALL that, and still let it be a plug & play usb storage device. But apple have specifically chosen with about all of these devices to my knowledge, to still not let it be one.

Danoss

Mar said:

See, just because everyone grew up on Windows, doesn't mean it's standard.
The same thing can be said in regards to FLAC. It's been the default standard for lossless audio for quite some time now (I'm aware there are others, but FLAC is the most popular by far). Apple goes off and uses their own ALAC, which no one outside of the Apple devotees want anything to do with.

Stackboy

giri said:
And do you know what, it doesn't negate the fact that it could do ALL that, and still let it be a plug & play usb storage device. But apple have specifically chosen with about all of these devices to my knowledge, to still not let it be one.

I use my iPod 120gig classic as a hard drive constantly, for moving files.

Choc

Banned
Just to show how much of cocks they are Apple are going to punish stores which took preorders for the ipad 2

maybe apple needs to realise having customers line up outside your store is not everyones fucking cup of tea. in a shopping centre i can imagine it causing huge deals of angst from retailers near by as people can't get around

George street is already amess in sydney

Danoss

Choc said:
Just to show how much of cocks they are Apple are going to punish stores which took preorders for the ipad 2
Apple should really stop making other stores pretend they're not getting stock. They're not so subtly forcing their retail partners to forfeit possible sales to the company they're buying stock from.

Calling them cocks is putting it lightly.

Choc

Banned
Danoss said:
Apple should really stop making other stores pretend they're not getting stock. They're not so subtly forcing their retail partners to forfeit possible sales to the company they're buying stock from.

Calling them cocks is putting it lightly.

if that is happening then that is a major breach of the trade practices Act

Clipper

Stackboy said:
Sup Gaf.

I'm trying to find the best place to import MK from, except my usual places are failing me. I can't import from 365games.co.uk. Any suggestions?
PS3 or 360? If PS3, Amazon US is still shipping to Australia. If it's not region locked, then you could do that for the 360 version too.

Danoss

Choc said:
if that is happening then that is a major breach of the trade practices Act
It happened on release on the last iPad if you recall. If I went into JB and asked if they were getting it, the would say they're not sure, knowing full well they would be. The smart ones I heard were saying "I don't know" whilst nodding their head to get the message across.

This is a clear tactic on Apple's part to generate these lines and get free PR while pissing many people off. If people think the only place they can get their product on day 1 is an Apple store, they line up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall any of this happening before Apple stores even existed.

Stackboy

Clipper said:
PS3 or 360? If PS3, Amazon US is still shipping to Australia. If it's not region locked, then you could do that for the 360 version too.

Think I'm going to go with Amazon UK. Getting a PAL version means I don't have to create a US account to get the inevitable DLC.

Thanks Clipper!

Edit: Dammit, Amazon UK isn't shipping it to Australia.

Clipper

Stackboy said:
As you can see, no.
Aha, incidentally I had edited something in which you missed too, but I undid that and will repost here instead.

You'll need to get a new account even if you go for PAL. The DLC won't release on the Aussie store.

giri

Stackboy said:
I use my iPod 120gig classic as a hard drive constantly, for moving files.
i know you can jailbreak several of the devices, but can you play music that you don't add through itunes?

Stackboy

Clipper said:
You'll need to get a new account even if you go for PAL. The DLC won't release on the Aussie store.

Thanks for the headsup. I may as well go US then. Is it easy enough to create a US account and is there a threat of that account being closed?

Clipper said:
know you can jailbreak several of the devices, but can you play music that you don't add through itunes?

No, I was just talking about file storage, not adding the files to be playable on the iPod.

Choc

Banned
sanity has prevailed

Sydney City Council demanded apple put up barriers this year

so its not so bad

and yes ok shut up ;)

its only not bad as the council stepped in

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Scrow said:
weren't you once called Sactown on here?

anyway, as for finding weed.... i think the general rule is to discreetly ask the artsy "hippy" types at universities who they get their bud from. they should be able to sell you some directly or put you in contact with someone who can. you just need to broach the subject properly so you don't freak them out and make 'em scatter :p

That was me. :) Thanks for the info (reptile too).

Didn't realize that this was a general thread for Aussies to shoot the shit in.

I have a friend who can get me bud, but want to be prepared just in case. Surprisingly good quality and affordable here. With yeyo being ~$400 a gram and not great, I was expecting far worse.

Bogans scare me. How can you be born and raised here and not have a grasp of the English language. How can you have skinnier arms than my mom, and walk around like you're tough?

I love how huge seafood is here. No wonder we call them prawns instead of shrimp. 1 Calamari ring here has a circumference greater than 5 calamari rings in the US.

how do people afford things here. Shit be crazy, especially consumer electronics and videogames. I think I remember SNES games being $129 as a kid, so maybe things are getting better?

Will try to join in on the convo next time, don't own an Ipad or Iphone though. Goog4lyfe

Bernbaum

The PC has provided plenty more hours of fun and functionality than any of my Apple branded stuff has, and PC/Mac discussions in this here thread are usually a celebration of Derp, but goddamn if this isn't the biggest laugh I've had in a longass time:

1zbrqx3.jpg

Clipper

Stackboy said:
Thanks for the headsup. I may as well go US then. Is it easy enough to create a US account and is there a threat of that account being closed?
It's extremely simple. The only issue is that you will need to get somebody in the States to buy US PSN cards for you to buy stuff with. You'll still be able to play the game and stuff you buy on your Aus account just fine too, you only need to switch accounts to buy stuff.

Oh, when choosing your address, pick something in California (I just made up a street name in Beverly Hills so I didn't need to look up a postcode (90210)). California has zero tax on online purchases, so you save money. The only fee I end up paying on the PSN cards and purchases is the Paypal transfer fee when I pay my friend for picking up the card and messaging me the code.

This all assumes that you are indeed getting the PS3 version. I have no clue what hoops may or may not exist on 360.

Fredescu

Fredescu said:
Tossing up whether to vote early this weekend or line up and get a sausage.
Why do election sausage fans always line up for sausages? If you just wait until after the election you don't have to line up at all. Besides, they're just going to bring out new sausages next year anyway.

Clipper

Fredescu said:
Why do election sausage fans always line up for sausages? If you just wait until after the election you don't have to line up at all. Besides, they're just going to bring out new sausages next year anyway.
Heh, you just made me think about the hilarity if they were actually releasing the iPad 2 tomorrow (due to NSW election). I wonder if they would accept "I was waiting in line for an iPad 2" as an excuse when they send out the letters to people that failed to vote.

legend166

This from the school up the road from me:

"LEPS Band Sausage Sizzle
Bacon and Eggs + Sausages from 8am-2pm. The best cakes, slices and biscuits on the North Shore
Cake Stall: Yes Sausage Sizzle:Yes"

YES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom