• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
ClivePwned said:
yes- in the end- it didn't like my USB hub. connected direct to the computer it was fine.
Connected to my wife's computer via dell monitor, it was also fine. Hubs are fine and dandy until someone gets hurt.

also- Catch of the day on Wednesday 3DS $199. Hmmm.

Bernbaum

Rez said:
Holy shit. I'm in Warnambool for totally unrelated reasons, and they had one black 32GB 3G iPad 2 left in Target, which I was browsing through for DVDs.

Fucking score.
Hi-five! I'm starting to think that 3G should have been the way to go, unless I can figure out an elegant iPhone-tethering solution. Also, 64 gb may have been overkill, but I guess I'll have to wait a few months to determine for sure. Couldn't give a crap about colour - when I rocked up at the front of the queue there was a sales assistant with a list of what was still left. They had plenty of black 64's but only one white. I said "you know what, I have no idea what colour I want" and she took me down to check them out. My justification for getting a white was that it would look "newer" and I could do a better job of rubbing it in the face of my colleague who not long ago bought a 1st-gen 64gb 3G model and lives a life of regret and sorrow.

Clive, I'm almost tempted to offer $199 to anyone in this here thread if they actually manage to secure a 3DS from CotD I'm that confident the site will break in half.

I have never bought from them before- though I nearly bought some stuff on friday- does it make it easier to have you CC details registered with them beforehand?

Rez said:
Holy shit. I'm in Warnambool for totally unrelated reasons, and they had one black 32GB 3G iPad 2 left in Target, which I was browsing through for DVDs.

Fucking score.
Ha. Small world, my gf and son are in Warny shopping with her sisters. Celebrating my free weekend with Scotch, Crysis 2 and Global Strategy & International Management.

Rezbit

ClivePwned said:
I have never bought from them before- though I nearly bought some stuff on friday- does it make it easier to have you CC details registered with them beforehand?

Not really; with these deals the website always times out. It's just the (100 or so?) people who are lucky enough to get through.

Agyar

Bernbaum said:
Hi-five! I'm starting to think that 3G should have been the way to go, unless I can figure out an elegant iPhone-tethering solution. Also, 64 gb may have been overkill, but I guess I'll have to wait a few months to determine for sure. Couldn't give a crap about colour - when I rocked up at the front of the queue there was a sales assistant with a list of what was still left. They had plenty of black 64's but only one white. I said "you know what, I have no idea what colour I want" and she took me down to check them out. My justification for getting a white was that it would look "newer" and I could do a better job of rubbing it in the face of my colleague who not long ago bought a 1st-gen 64gb 3G model and lives a life of regret and sorrow.

Clive, I'm almost tempted to offer $199 to anyone in this here thread if they actually manage to secure a 3DS from CotD I'm that confident the site will break in half.

Do you have an iPhone 4, so you can use the Wifi tethering via the Personal Hotspot thingo? If not, there would be a jailbreak equivalent for sure.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bernbaum said:

iPhones have a cool new 'Wireless Hotspot' feature in 4.3 that allows you to broadcast your 3G connection as a Wifi hotspot. It isn't super-fast, but for casual net browsing or social networking it seems to work fairly well.

Kind of makes the 3g models a tad redundant, to be honest.

Bernbaum

Ha! Literally just figured it out just then! Sweet, this will be ideal - a single phone bill for all my data, as my iPhone is always on me.

EDIT: aaaaaaaaand, tested. It's quick enough. Real test will be on the train. I'll stick with a 2gb/month data package me thinks.

Clipper

I had a fun experience the other day that I thought I might mention. A colleague got a new Wii so I wanted to do the Wii Ambassador thing that I'm sure plenty of you are beginning to get sick of me mentioning, but it brought up an interesting challenge.

Now, the challenge was that he only had a cable Internet connection at home and the wireless Internet at the Uni I work at uses WPA2-Enterprise, which is not supported by the Wii. Could we manage to get his Wii connected to the Internet at either his home or work without buying any additional hardware?

Warning: This description is going to get a little techy. Those unfamiliar with network stuff may want to skip to the end ;)

The first thing I tried was using my laptop's wirless card an an additional wireless USB dongle my friend had to set up an ad-hoc network with Internet Connection Sharing. It was easy to set this up and test via my iPhone connecting to the Internet via the PC. However, while the Wii could detect the network and correctly determined stuff like the authentication protocol in use, the connection test would report that it couldn't find an access point.

Thus, we move to round 2 (which I had planned for anyway) where I was to use the new Personal Hotspot feature for the iPhone (also mentioned here in recent posts). I tested this with my PC connecting to the iPhone just fine and getting data via the iPhone's 3G connection just like it had worked with tethering beforehand, so I was hopeful it would work. The Wii could see the iPhone's SSID just fine and again went through the password process without problem. However, the connection test reported that the Wii couldn't connect to the Internet (a different error to previously). The iPhone's status bar didn't change colour like it usually does when a device connects, so I really don't know what was going on here.

At this point, I'm a tad annoyed and I leave it to the next day when I bring my combo ADSL modem/WiFi router from home into work. My Wii at home connects to this router perfectly fine, so all I'd need to do is plug the router into my laptop via Ethernet and then turn off DHCP on the router so that the router simply bridges the Wii to my laptop and Internet Connection Sharing takes care of the rest. Unfortunately, I discovered that the Ethernet ports on said router, which I have long had trouble with, were no longer working. Now that I write this, I realise I probably could have just used the dual network adapter approach idea I had in the first attempt and it might have worked, but I didn't think of it at the time. Using somebody else's router would have worked too, of course, but we didn't have access to any.

Anyway, I'm now at breaking point of things to try (given that the proposed methods all worked with other devices, just not with the Wii). Searching online wasn't really helping until I tried to do one more search. Instead of searching for Wii connection methods and so on, I just looked for an alternative approach to share Windows Internet connections. Given that the inbuilt sharing in Windows Vista and 7 works so well for everything else, I was surprised to discover an alternative application has been made, it being Connectify.

Now, I'm seriously doubting this will work given my multiple failures so far. I am surprised to discover that it allows you to create an access point from your WiFi interface without you needing to disconnect from other networks on the same interface, though (something you absolutely cannot do with Windows networking). The fact that it calls this an 'access point' mode rather than an 'ad-hoc' mode (which it also had choices for) was very promising. Thus, I start up the software, turn on the Wii and go through connection settings once more and amazingly, the Wii reports success. I'd finally managed to connect the incredibly picky Wii to an Internet connection it didn't support using nothing more than a Windows PC with a wireless card.

Now, the connection wasn't perfect. The connection would often drop if you left it idle for very long (causing applications to quit), but it was enough to update the Wii and get on the Wii Shop to do the Wii Ambassador Program stuff and demonstrate the News and Weather channels and stuff. The only room we could connect the Wii to a screen in didn't have the best WiFi signal, which could have been the cause of the drop-outs, or perhaps it would have worked perfectly if I wasn't trying to share the same connection as the one I'd set up the access point on. It was certainly enough to get everything done, though, and my friend can do the same at his home to connect the Wii via his laptop that connects to his cable modem.

I'm amazed it worked so well and was so easy compared to the other, more complicated methods which all failed to work. I didn't see any other references to the program on any of the other pages I was reading about people trying similar things with their Wiis, with multiple people attempting ad-hoc stuff like I did without any luck. It's also a great thing to keep in mind when travelling with your Wii.

tl;dr version: If you have a Wii that you haven't been able to connect to your Internet connection and a PC with a wireless interface, just get Connectify and your problems will be solved.

If anybody wants any more info, let me know. Also, if this allows you to get your PAL Wii online for the first time, let me know so that we can do the Wii Ambassador thing too. Both you and I will get 500 free Nintendo points for doing it and I'll be another step closer to Nintendo giving me all the Nintendo-published SNES and N64 games for free (13 Wiis down, 7 to go).

I've been playing Speedball 2 on the iPad. At first it was a lot of fun and sometimes challenging. But now, my team is 5 star and I win games by margins like 500-2. it kind of loses its charm when from the kickoff I can just run straight ahead (through the goalie too) and score goals constantly. I'm a bit bored of it now.

Ventron

2hdnytv.jpg

I'd put that in budgie smugglers.

...Ahem... will there be a new BrisGAF meetup soon?

Bernbaum

Ventron said:
...Ahem... will there be a new BrisGAF meetup soon?
I was going to post about this on Monday, when the 9-5 crew are present and active in the thread.

It has been about twice as long as the time between the first two meets and now, so it's long overdue. The last one was a shotgun affair but fun nonetheless, so for BrisGAF 3.0, we'll arrange ahead of time a bit earlier so more people can come than what attended at the last one. There's a few BriGAF people who haven't been able to make either so it would be great if the next one could have the most people yet. Mana Bar is, of course, the venue of choice because of the location and relevance to our interests.

Current time? I'm still thinking midweek at the Mana Bar at any week in April, maybe Wednesday the 6th or the following week on the 13th.

The other option is to have it on a weekend afternoon. That way, people from further out of town can come in. I'm usually pretty protective of how I spend my weekends (except for today, but I has iPad) and would prefer midweek, but we'll see what people are able to make.

I have $100 worth of bar tab (which should really cover the lot), so those poor souls still in uni have little excuse for piking.

Will re-post on Monday.

Agyar

Bernbaum said:
I was going to post about this on Monday, when the 9-5 crew are present and active in the thread.

It has been about twice as long as the time between the first two meets and now, so it's long overdue. The last one was a shotgun affair but fun nonetheless, so for BrisGAF 3.0, we'll arrange ahead of time a bit earlier so more people can come than what attended at the last one. There's a few BriGAF people who haven't been able to make either so it would be great if the next one could have the most people yet. Mana Bar is, of course, the venue of choice because of the location and relevance to our interests.

Current time? I'm still thinking midweek at the Mana Bar at any week in April, maybe Wednesday the 6th or the following week on the 13th.

The other option is to have it on a weekend afternoon. That way, people from further out of town can come in. I'm usually pretty protective of how I spend my weekends (except for today, but I has iPad) and would prefer midweek, but we'll see what people are able to make.

I have $100 worth of bar tab (which should really cover the lot), so those poor souls still in uni have little excuse for piking.

Will re-post on Monday.

I wouldn't mind a weekend afternoon to be honest.

Gazunta

Rooster, how the he'll did you manage that? My team aree struggling to stay in the premier league. I'd love to see an online league in an update, and especially manager mode. Most of my time on the MegaDrive version was spent on Manager mode, I'm actually pretty terrible at playing the game :)

Generally it's a lot harder for me to make it into the city / valley during the weekend.

CrazedProfessional said:
LaborBloodbath[IMG]

ABC News - You're already dead.[/QUOTE]

Was at 4-12 when I went to have a shower, just came back to my PC to see it at 8-56. What a slaughter. I laughed at the update that said that there were apparently no TVs in the Labor headquarters.

Bernbaum

FreeFallin' said:
Was at 4-12 when I went to have a shower, just came back to my PC to see it at 8-56. What a slaughter. I laughed at the update that said that there were apparently no TVs in the Labor headquarters.
Or sharp objects or loose items of clothing that could be used for self-strangulation.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Megadrive said:
So when's the MelbGAF meet? Are we waiting for the Mana Bar to open?

It's never happening, Guaranteed!

Also, Did Labor do a shit job in NSW, did they suck that much? I don't keep up with politics :D

Danoss

Had a last minute drop yesterday from Labor, trashing the local Liberal member in detail. If they had only put the same effort into running our state, this wouldn't have happened.

CrazedProfessional said:
egbca.png

ABC News - You're already dead.
Wow, stunning defeat. You know you dun effed up when you don't even last until the footy starts.

Also MelbGAF should go on a roadtrip down to sunny ole Geelong! It's awesome down here with all the kittens and cheap beer and sexy women of ill repute. They totally said they are dying to meet you and they already find your jokes fascinatingly droll.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I know a lesbian in geelong, She claimed she wanted to shag me a few months back and now we don't talk to each other.

So maybe geelong is a great idea!

MelbGAF would be interesting but i think a bunch of us live miles from the city, So it would be a pain in the ass getting home at some random ass time at night. Not sure if that's a factor to really kill off a potential meet and greet though.

Rezbit

evlcookie said:
I know a lesbian in geelong, She claimed she wanted to shag me a few months back and now we don't talk to each other.

So maybe geelong is a great idea!

MelbGAF would be interesting but i think a bunch of us live miles from the city, So it would be a pain in the ass getting home at some random ass time at night. Not sure if that's a factor to really kill off a potential meet and greet though.

Damn Melbourne and its big-ass sprawl! I'm guessing the Night Riders don't go out far then?

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Wow, stunning defeat. You know you dun effed up when you don't even last until the footy starts.

Also MelbGAF should go on a roadtrip down to sunny ole Geelong! It's awesome down here with all the kittens and cheap beer and sexy women of ill repute. They totally said they are dying to meet you and they already find your jokes fascinatingly droll.
Where are they? I think I'm yet to see them :lol

Fredescu

What's surprising is how badly the Greens have screwed the pooch. A 13% swing away from Labor and only 1% went toward The Greens. They're unlikely to get any lower house seats at all. You'd think they'd get some sort of protest vote, but it looks like people are sick of hung parliaments and want to guarantee a not-Labor premier.

Fredescu said:
What's surprising is how badly the Greens have screwed the pooch. A 13% swing away from Labor and only 1% went toward The Greens. They're unlikely to get any lower house seats at all. You'd think they'd get some sort of protest vote, but it looks like people are sick of hung parliaments and want to guarantee a not-Labor premier.

I wonder if this will transfer onto other elections where voters will associate the Greens with a Hung Parliament and put the protest vote to one of the big two instead.

Fredescu said:
Seems like a general 'Labor are crap so I'll vote the other guy' swing rather than 'I like the Greens policies, I think I will vote for them'.

Shaneus said:
Where are they? I think I'm yet to see them :lol
They must be on the other side of town to you.
Play along man! Nobody can know that Geelong is boring and no one wants to come here!

Fredescu

reptilescorpio said:
Seems like a general 'Labor are crap so I'll vote the other guy' swing rather than 'I like the Greens policies, I think I will vote for them'.
What's surprising is not that they didn't vote Labor, but that they almost universally voted Liberal/National instead.

markot

Banned
Greens give labor preferences, if you want to make sure Labor is out, you have to vote lib/nat.

And I love how the Libs are trying to turn this into 'more than a protest vote!' as if people liked their policies, when they ran on 'send labor a message' >.>

Danoss

markot said:
'send labor a message'
It either worked, or people were going to do it anyway. I assume the latter.

If Labor were voted in again, it would prove that they can do whatever they want and NSW would sit back and let them. That said, I would sit back and let Kenneally wrap her lips around my doodle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom