• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

My vote was pretty much throwaway, I'm in O'Farrel's seat.

/edit Also, I was staring at a 3DS for like an hour and now I think my eyes don't work properly. No headache though.

Fredescu

Bernbaum said:
Old people?
Could be. They're losing mostly outer Sydney seats, which is more the working class crowd (31% in Riverstone, holy fucking shit). They would skew older than the inner city seats that they are managing to hold on to. Mostly guessing though.

markot said:
Greens give labor preferences, if you want to make sure Labor is out, you have to vote lib/nat.
No. Greens only give Labor preferences if that's how you personally decide to distribute your preferences. Unlike Federal Elections, you can "exhaust" your preferences by only voting 1, or 1, 2, and leaving the rest blank. It's easier at state level to vote Greens without endorsing Labor at all, just stick 1 next to Greens and leave it at that. Yet that appears to have been a very unpopular option among the previously Labor faithful.

markot said:
And I love how the Libs are trying to turn this into 'more than a protest vote!'
It quite obviously was.

hirokazu

Jintor said:
I only voted Greens because I'd never heard of the BAN PARKING METER PARTY before
Me too!

No vote for Labor because that'd just endorse their performance, no vote for Liberal because they haven't committed to anything important and useful to me.

But alas, I'm in heavy Liberal territory; >80% Liberal on two party preferred.

Fredescu

Jintor said:
I only voted Greens because I'd never heard of the BAN PARKING METER PARTY before
What's the deal with The Fishing Party, The Fishing and Shooters Party, and the Outdoor Recreation Party? Get together guys! Fishing for all!

Jintor said:

I had a good laugh when I saw their name in the senate section...and wow they had a lot of members.

Fredescu said:
What's surprising is not that they didn't vote Labor, but that they almost universally voted Liberal/National instead.

That didn't really surprise me, I think most people just wanted labor to GTFO (completely understandable) so they voted for the party that most assured that outcome.

Given that, I'm kind of disappointed that the greens didn't pick up the two seats it had a solid chance at (because now the government is even more DOMINATED by the right).

Fortunately one of my good friends managed to pick up 17% of the vote in his electorate (willoughby) beating even labor, pretty nice result for him.

Clipper

The Storyteller said:
I had a good laugh when I saw their name in the senate section...and wow they had a lot of members.
You have to have 15 members to qualify to fill in one of the groups on the NSW Legislative Council (equivalent to the Senate, but that's federal) ballot. Otherwise, people can only vote for you by voting under the line. Thus, pretty much everyone forms these gigantic groups as there's no way you'll be voted for otherwise.

The rule was set up after 1999 when there was 81 columns on the ballot (there was only 17 this year, so imagine the paper being almost 5 times longer). Did anybody here actually vote in that election? I was still living in Queensland at the time.

For this and other useful election trivia and analysis, ensure you check out Antony Green's blog. He puts up some amazingly interesting stuff on there. Definitely the leading electoral commentator within Australia.

guidop

legend166 said:
._.

Yay for incompetence and corruption?

It would have been pretty stupid of NSW to give the Liberal party every seat in parliament. Call me cynical but I would have thought that giving either party as much power as has just been given to the liberal party is a bad idea, they have been voted in in such a majority that its going to take 2 elections to get them out. I did hear Mr O'Farrell's acceptance speech and it sounds like he will do a good job(will take a Victorian to fix up you lot). In saying that Baillieu our recently elected Liberal leader in Victoria who i didn't really have a problem with as someone who considers himself on the left side of politics. Ran on a platform of transparency and 'open book governance', he has since broken a couple elections promises, hired a few of his mates in cushy positions and is looking squeamish when it comes to the transparency promised

tl;dr Politicians can't be trusted

markot

Banned
legend166 said:
._.

Yay for incompetence and corruption?
The liberals have been such incompetents in opposition that Labor was able to stay in power for 16 years. Its only that Labor stinks so much that has given them this victory...... They havent swept people away with promises, with grand ideas, with visions of the future, its been 'Send labor a message'.

guidop said:
In saying that Baillieu our recently elected Liberal leader in Victoria who i didn't really have a problem with as someone who considers himself on the left side of politics. Ran on a platform of transparency and 'open book governance', he has since broken a couple elections promises, hired a few of his mates in cushy positions and is looking squeamish when it comes to the transparency promised

tl;dr Politicians can't be trusted
Pretty much every politician is full of shit, will say what they need to say to get into power and then say, "Whoops, sorry guys. You believed that horse shit? We are going to do whatever the hell we want until you guys kick us out again. Have fun!"

Shaneus

Yeah, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the only reason any party gets voted in is because they're different to the old one.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Internet browsing and typing in general has been the really surprising thing about the iPad. Probably the most easy to overlook feature, but the extra screen real-estate really does wonders for Mobile Safari. I've always liked iPhone typing and autocorrect, though, so your milage may vary.

Rez said:
Internet browsing and typing in general has been the really surprising thing about the iPad. Probably the most easy to overlook feature, but the extra screen real-estate really does wonders for Mobile Safari. I've always liked iPhone typing and autocorrect, though, so your milage may vary.
One really cool thing about my gf's Android is that when I rotate the screen it automatically word wraps the text on screen to the dimensions I have zoomed in. Makes reading NeoGAF an absolute joy compared to on my iPod Touch. Does it do this on the iPad as well? Might be something for me to think about if any other decent tablets are on the market.

Also Crysis 2 is fantastic, all my fears were for nothing (well, once DX11 is patched in). Along with Bulletstorm it has been the best shooter I've played since COD4. Great fun Jelly hunting, Cloak-Stalk-Armour-Shotgun to face-repeat. Pure awesome.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
There's a fantastic Safari-app thing that makes GAF viewing really great, I haven't actually visited the vanilla NeoGAF yet. Try this on any iOS device:

secondapps.com/neogaf

Deeku

Hey Clipper, is your 3ds order from amazon being prepared for shipment?

I've been charged and Pilotwings is being prepared for me, but not the 3ds:(

Yagharek

Shaneus said:
Yeah, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the only reason any party gets voted in is because they're different to the old one.

Ironically, they end up being booted out for doing the exact same shit.

Clipper

commanderdeek said:
Hey Clipper, is your 3ds order from amazon being prepared for shipment?

I've been charged and Pilotwings is being prepared for me, but not the 3ds:(
Yes, it's being prepared. My Pilotwings/Lego Star Wars III order is also prepping. Unfortunately, it seems DHL doesn't pick up on Sundays, so they may ship on Monday morning, but we can still hope they hit some sort of late evening target...

Edit: I'll just add that a Monday morning shipment does translate to a Thursday morning delivery by my calculations, and possibly earlier. Thus, we should get it on the Aussie launch day at the very latest.

Rez said:
There's a fantastic Safari-app thing that makes GAF viewing really great, I haven't actually visited the vanilla NeoGAF yet. Try this on any iOS device:

secondapps.com/neogaf

Yep a must-use on the iPhone and still my default way of viewing NeoGAF on the iPad. ckohler is a champ for making it.

Deeku

Clipper said:
Yes, it's being prepared. My Pilotwings/Lego Star Wars III order is also prepping. Unfortunately, it seems DHL doesn't pick up on Sundays, so they may ship on Monday morning, but we can still hope they hit some sort of late evening target...

Edit: I'll just add that a Monday morning shipment does translate to a Thursday morning delivery by my calculations, and possibly earlier. Thus, we should get it on the Aussie launch day at the very latest.
Gahh, I knew I shouldn't have cancelled and made a new combined order. Hopefully mine won't be delayed by too long.

Rez said:

secondapps.com/neogaf
Yup been using it for the last few years on my phone. I actually prefer the regular version though.

Jintor said:
I have this hideous feeling that the Liberals are going to be just as full of shit as Labor.
So far the Victorian election gives that feeling a bit of weight to it.

Bernbaum

Secondapps 4 life.

Although it seems better suited for the iPhone than iPad. Shrinks images and embedded YouTube videos on the pad and would be better if they were bigger.

roosters93 said:
Don't you get sick of zooming in and stuff?
Only use the full version on PC and iPod but yes the zooming gets annoying, that is why I was impressed by the Android version where you can zoom but it also wraps the text for you. Best of both worlds. Secondapps has been a godsend on my crappy old phone but I've found it can be delayed and very glitchy some days. Probably more to do with my Samsung F410T than secondapps itself. Basically when I want to check neogaf somewhere other than my PC I'll grab my gf's phone rather than mine or the iPod Touch because it seems more comfortable.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
guys, buying a 3ds from america, what kind of power convertor do i need? any? or just the simple plug thing form a normal travel shop?

Deeku

HolyCheck said:
guys, buying a 3ds from america, what kind of power convertor do i need? any? or just the simple plug thing form a normal travel shop?
Just get an Aus DSi charger.

Oh and Clipper, amazon seems to be prepping all my stuff now. Excitement!

Clipper

commanderdeek said:
Just get an Aus DSi charger.

Oh and Clipper, amazon seems to be prepping all my stuff now. Excitement!
Yay, congrats!

Also, I'm so glad I went and purchased this on a whim last year. I got it so I could have one cable to charge both my DS Lite and my iPhone with the same cable. Now it's going to be powering my 3DS too :).

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
legend166 said:
draw.

._.

m7qark.png

Let's call the season!

Jintor

So AssCreedBrotherhood has some amazingly fun multiplayer (it finally came to PC). I just wish fuckers would stop run-stabbing me.

Kritz

Banned
I've been playing Project Reality a heap these past two weeks. God this game is so fucking awesome. I'm just consistently having some of the best experiences of my gaming life. I hope Battlefield 3 eventually gets this mod too.

Shaneus

Family Jewels on now, they''re trying to sell Carlton Blues to Gene Simmons, everyone's telling him they're shit :lol

And they're subtitling what we're saying because of our accent :lol

Yagharek

justin.au said:
Year of the Don, TBH.

Was Knight really that bad of a coach?

He wasnt terrible, but he had no defensive plan. Pure attack was his focus, and essendon would wind up with one defender in their back 50m and 5 attackers from the other side. And the ball.

Basically they only matched up well against st kilda.

Shaneus

Guzzling a half-litre bottle of Magners in the space of around 5 mins = so much win.

Gene Simmons show: Apparently he got Fevola to sign with Carlton... in 2008 :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
legend166 said:
Guys, I'm going to put hours and hours into Anno.
Idle Thumbs got me onto it back in the day. Half the fun of it was the eye-candy for me, but man did it taste good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom