• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

Make sure you all get the DSiware game "Starship Patrol" when the estore is up. Amazing tower defence game from the pixeljunk monsters devs.

Bernbaum

Since around the time Pixar had put out enough films to know they were bankable as a source of top-tier entertainment and Dreamworks et al. caught up in the creativity stakes, I had been looking forward to one day watching a film that takes CG animation to tell a story that was not targetted at children and used the medium to paint a dark rich and inventive world in a way that only the use of a computer can.

Pixar or otherwise I enjoy a large number of CG animated film but all too often they are broadly-focussed affairs that aimed to please mixed audiences. The greatest films in the genre such as the Incredibles and Toy Story 3 did a remarkable job of pleasing the adults just as much as the kids, but at their core, it felt like the producer’s priority was on younger audiences. Even Ratatouille, the one film in my opinion that had largely adult-oriented subject matter, was presented in a format that made it digestable for the kids. Most modern animated films were certainly creative but relied too much on the ‘whimsy’ to keep audiences engaged.

The technology used to create such stories has been crafted and refined and there is now very little that cannot be told in the art form. With so many opportunities at hand, I savoured a story that started from a fresh creative palate with younger audiences as an afterthought and the focus clearly on exploiting wildly inventive camera angles and animation styles to create a world, narrative and cast of characters that are as original and complex as the story is fun and entertaining. Plenty of animated films for kids also had something for the oldies, but I wanted the opposite.

I am delighted to report that Rango is that film.

Hey, chaps.
This is probably a long shot, but if anyone in Melbourne or Sydney happens to be near Polyester Records, 288 Flinders Lane or Redeye Records, 66 King Street, respectively, after 12 today, could they please grab me one of the (free!) Radiohead newspapers being handed out?

Mostly I am curious as to what the hell it is, but it would be neat to have one. And obviously Perth misses out otherwise. Will pay postage + bonus. Cheers!

Also, video games.

Bernbaum said:
I am delighted to report that Rango is that film.
Twas pretty awesome.

legend said:
Guys, I'm going to put hours and hours into Anno.
The Ubisoft rep for DD is crying in the corner
in disgrace or joy to see so many people enjoying a fantastic game?

So has anyone mentioned how much Monday sucks?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
AnkhWeasel said:
Hey, chaps.
This is probably a long shot, but if anyone in Melbourne or Sydney happens to be near Polyester Records, 288 Flinders Lane or Redeye Records, 66 King Street, respectively, after 12 today, could they please grab me one of the (free!) Radiohead newspapers being handed out?

Mostly I am curious as to what the hell it is, but it would be neat to have one. And obviously Perth misses out otherwise. Will pay postage + bonus. Cheers!

Also, video games.

feel free to grab me one too anyone...

Have some zavvi.com coupons I just realised expire in about half an hour. First to use gets them.

980-9VSZ-C6SP - 10% off order
981-40PW-PM98 - £8 off £60
983-DQNS-WNH8 - 15% off when buying two games

Kritz

Banned
codswallop said:
983-DQNS-WNH8 - 15% off when buying two games

used. :D

Ordered brink and witcher 2.

Product Name: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Platform: PC
Qty Ordered: 1
Amount: $0.00
Serial Number: RS6-VXF0-XPA0-NNGX-UB70

oh my how did that get there

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Someone had a fun night last night.

DTHCU.jpg

Hai BrisGAF!

So I'm coming up there for a brief visit in a couple of weeks to visit my new baby niece. Can anyone recommend a decent hotel in the CBD? I can spend between $200-$300 a night.

Last time I was up there we stayed somewhere pretty nice a couple of mins from Queen Street, near some sort of bus station thingo, but I can't remember what it was called.

BanShunsaku said:
Hai BrisGAF!

So I'm coming up there for a brief visit in a couple of weeks to visit my new baby niece. Can anyone recommend a decent hotel in the CBD? I can spend between $200-$300 a night.

Last time I was up there we stayed somewhere pretty nice a couple of mins from Queen Street, near some sort of bus station thingo, but I can't remember what it was called.
My work uses the Sebel Citigate whenever they need to get people in from interstate etc. It's close to Queen Street Mall and I've never heard any complaints.

Don't know about the cost, though.

Choc

Banned
So Crysis 2

I kinda like it but i also don't like it. The storyline is just shite, really shite to be honest. Follow this man and talk to him and blah blah spoilers spoilers etc then walk through new york city.

but other than that the game is brilliant. Being able to take out enemies how you choose to do so is really good. The stealth option does seem a bit like the win button, but all the other options are just as good.

Just a shame the story is so bad

jambo

Choc said:
So Crysis 2

I kinda like it but i also don't like it. The storyline is just shite, really shite to be honest. Follow this man and talk to him and blah blah spoilers spoilers etc then walk through new york city.

but other than that the game is brilliant. Being able to take out enemies how you choose to do so is really good. The stealth option does seem a bit like the win button, but all the other options are just as good.

It's been pretty standard from what I've played so far, but I've heard that the last 2/3 of the game is a lot better.

Choc said:
So Crysis 2

Hoping my copy arrives this week.

Loved the multi demo, so really bought it for that, but can't wait to give the campaign a throw. My mate grabbed it off Steam and is enjoying it immensely.

r1chard

BanShunsaku said:
Hai BrisGAF!

Just pre xmas last year I stayed a few days with my family at the Ibis on Turbot Street. It was perfectly acceptable - clean, quiet and a reasonably good breakfast spread. They were renovating their dining area so we had to go to the hotel next door for dinner a couple of nights - no problem though, just a short walk indoors. It should come in under your price range, even if you're talking about the Easter weekend...

Gazunta

BanShunsaku said:
Hai BrisGAF!

When in Brisbane I always stay at the Marriott.

So let's have the BrisGAF meetup when BanShushaku's up then lads. :p

Kritz

Banned
Blah, was totally acing my programming test, finished before everyone else, and right as I left the room I realized I submitted the wrong file.

It's still mostly correct, but I used a char type instead of a double, and a char doesn't use primitive data types for its input.

I also got hit with a fuckin math question.

(5+2)*3%(4+2)… which I think is 5. Not sure. :/

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I tried to get you guys the radiohead paper however there's a giant fucking line there for it and they only got 1000 in and you can only have 1. They also take your picture when you receive it, lame. Line was longer than the iPads.

I also forgot my pin number, there goes lunch lol.

Aon

Do you guys know whether there's anything out there on most sales sites to prevent underage people buying games? Like over here it's less of an issue, since under 15s wouldn't have access to interdependent online credit most of the time, but what about if an 18+ rating is introduced?

Does anyone know whether America tries to police its 17+ rating online against 16 year olds with jobs and paypal?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kritz said:
Blah, was totally acing my programming test, finished before everyone else, and right as I left the room I realized I submitted the wrong file.

It's still mostly correct, but I used a char type instead of a double, and a char doesn't use primitive data types for its input.

7*3 / 6

21 / 6

3 remainder 3

so the answer is tre

giri

Kritz said:

7 * 3 mod 6
21 mod 6
==3

(depends on the language but most use % to say, display the remainder of dividing A by B)

^5 --> Rez

Bernbaum

BrisGAF 3.0 planning-age:

It has been about twice as long as the time between the first two meets and now, so it's long overdue. The last one was a shotgun affair but fun nonetheless, so for BrisGAF 3.0, we'll arrange ahead of time a bit earlier so more people can come than what attended at the last one. There's a few BriGAF people who haven't been able to make either so it would be great if the next one could have the most people yet. Mana Bar is, of course, the venue of choice because of the location and relevance to our interests.

It also looks like a gaffer will be visiting from interstate, and of course moreness = merriness.

Hopefully this time around there will be plenty of fresh faces!

Suggested time: 3pm on a Sunday afternoon, April. Date TBA.

Alternative suggestions welcome.

That way, people from further out of town can come in.

I have $100 worth of bar tab (which should really cover the lot), so those poor souls still in uni have little excuse for piking.

evlcookie said:
I tried to get you guys the radiohead paper however there's a giant fucking line there for it and they only got 1000 in and you can only have 1. They also take your picture when you receive it, lame. Line was longer than the iPads.

I also forgot my pin number, there goes lunch lol.

Cheers, Cookie, I appreciate the trip. Pretty hardcore to take photos.

Is your pin 1234? D:

Thanks for the accommodation tips guys, much appreciated. (I think the Sebel citigate is where we stayed a few years ago).

Re: BrisGAF meetup - probably don't worry about planning around me. This will be our first weekend away since forever... If I sneak off to the manabar for some sherbets with you guys there is a good chance I will be returning to Sydney sans penis and/or testicles.

Kritz

Banned
Next time I'm just gonna write the program during the test. It's like, three minutes of work.

Or, you know, double check my program instead of compiling it, seeing that it works and submitting it without looking at the spec sheet.

Caramello

Hey guys, want a bit of advice, I have a 3DS pre-ordered at JB Hi-Fi but I don't want any games for it at launch.. Should I cancel and buy an iPad 2 instead? My 21st birthday is in June so I could get either one of them then.. I'd probably get more use out of the iPad from now until June though..

Any advice?

Jintor

Choc said:
So Crysis 2

I actually found the storyline kind of weirdly compelling. I wasn't expecting much more than a 'head to x, then head to y', and that's about all I got. But it was wrapped in enough sci-fi bullshit I felt compelled to keep doing what the voice in my head said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom