• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waikis

Just received the following email from Amazon.
Thank you for purchasing a Nintendo 3DS console from Amazon.com. It is our pleasure to let you know that you have earned a $25 credit toward the purchase of a qualifying Nintendo 3DS game, good until 6/30/2011.

I cant seem to get the site to apply the discount tho, halp?

Bernbaum

Salazar said:
Touched down at Heathrow. Writing this on airport internet point. Venice amazing. London cold.
So you've gone from a country with some of the best food in the world to a country whose populace would happily eat microwaved cardboard provided it came served with ample gravy/custard/both.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Bernbaum said:
So you've gone from a country with some of the best food in the world to a country whose populace would happily eat microwaved cardboard provided it came served with ample gravy/custard/both.
you can get some amazing food in London if you know where to go.

Shaneus

jambo said:
Anecdotal evidence, yay!
I really don't know anyone (even people with kids who have previously bought most iterations of the DS... namely the "lite", the DSi and the XL) aren't the slightest bit enthusiastic about it. More excited about the iPad 2, which is weird.

justin.au said:
Got myself one of the best seats in the uni library today (it was in a dead quiet area). Sat down ready for four hours of solid work. Write one sentence in my book and my fucking pen has run out.

Unbelievably frustrating. Had to trek out of the library and hit the bookshop up for a new pen. Of course, when I got back, my seat was taken and I had to settle for a shittier spot.

Livejournalling it up in this shit.
Need an iPad ;)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mar said:
Same. I don't know anyone who's getting one, nor mentioning it in discussion. Most of these people are DS and Wii owners who haven't turned them on for a couple of years too.

That's not to say Nintendo won't sell a bajillion units, they will, but I think they lost the hardcore crowd quite some time ago.

It's kind of funny. Handhelds and specifically the DS heralded my return to console gaming and I thought it was the best thing ever. Now, I couldn't care less about new hardware nor the games that get put on them, regardless the title.

I think smart phones have changed the way people think about many things.
I think you might be projecting a bit here. I'm not sure it's so much that the world has substantially changed so much as you've just got a bit older.

Clipper

Ah good. It's nice to wake up and find that my packages didn't get split up after all. According to the tracking, my 3DS must have stowed away on the flight to LA without DHL's knowledge (it must already feel attached to the games) and both packages left LA at 12:48.

That means they probably caught the last flight of LA destined to Sydney (due to Sydney curfew), will arrive tonight, processed through customs tomorrow morning, and in my hands sometime in the afternoon as predicted.

Those not shipping to Sydney, did we get split up or not?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Clipper said:
Ah good. It's nice to wake up and find that my packages didn't get split up after all. According to the tracking, my 3DS must have stowed away on the flight to LA without DHL's knowledge (it must already feel attached to the games) and both packages left LA at 12:48.

The only thing I don't really understand is that was an hour ago. That means they probably caught the last flight of LA destined to Sydney (due to Sydney curfew), will arrive tonight, processed through customs tomorrow morning, and in my hands sometime in the afternoon as predicted.

lol. still in newark.

i like that your 3ds and games are already friends <3

If anything I would argue that the marketing for the 3DS has been a lot weaker than in the past. The DSlite commercials catered perfectly to middle age with celebs and such. The 3DS commercials I've seen have consisted of watching someone look like an idiot playing the 3DS. People don't like to know how they look when they play games, like with the Wii you gotta pretend it is all smiles and happy families. I haven't seen anything that makes me want to check it out, although it is pretty hard to show off the 3D of course.

Clipper said:

That means they probably caught the last flight of LA destined to Sydney (due to Sydney curfew), will arrive tonight, processed through customs tomorrow morning, and in my hands sometime in the afternoon as predicted.

Mine's still in LA. I'm assuming it'll be on a direct flight to Brisbane before long.

I can just see my 3DS saying goodbye to your 3DS, tears in its cameras, your 3DS and games holding flowers. :')

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
reptilescorpio said:
If anything I would argue that the marketing for the 3DS has been a lot weaker than in the past. The DSlite commercials catered perfectly to middle age with celebs and such. The 3DS commercials I've seen have consisted of watching someone look like an idiot playing the 3DS. People don't like to know how they look when they play games, like with the Wii you gotta pretend it is all smiles and happy families. I haven't seen anything that makes me want to check it out, although it is pretty hard to show off the 3D of course.
keep in mind, the DS marketing was very similar at launch. they're in it for the long haul with these things, expect many, many, many marketing pushes as relevant software is released and holiday season's approach.

I am surprised that so many are jumping in early, though. Especially when it seems like the games worth playing are such a long way away.

Paper Mario seems like it will be the tipping point for me.

Clipper

Waikis said:
Just received the following email from Amazon.

I cant seem to get the site to apply the discount tho, halp?
I just checked by using my credit. You need to go to the final page (with the confirm button) before you will see the discounts.

It applied my $25 3DS credit, 2*$10 game credit, my 3DS Accessory credit and the $10 credit for buying two more launch games all in the same purchase. $65 in savings all up (although only $55 really as I wouldn't have bought the free accessory if it wasn't free).

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I can just see my 3DS saying goodbye to your 3DS, tears in its cameras, your 3DS and games holding flowers. :')
Yes, it must have been a very touching scene. They journeyed together for so long and survived so many hardships...

The fact that I haven't pulled the trigger on a 3DS yet probably indicates that I shouldn't do it. Was so close to clicking "buy now" on Amazon last night :(

I think I will wait to read some impressions from my trusted AusGAF.

Megadrive said:
Get a seafood one or subway melt or turkey or shit..

Seconded.

Bernbaum said:

I would eat almost anything if it came with sufficiently tasty gravy on it. Even though I love roast dinners and all they contain the thing I look forward to most is the gravy. Don't blame it for being awesome and the lone highlight of England's culinary achievements. That's not gravy's fault. Blame the food. Gravy's doing his bit.

However, I'm originally from England, so I think I just proved your point.

fuck

However, you seem to have first hand knowledge of the food, so you know why it exists.

Gazunta said:
My 360 avatar is wearing a CRACKDOWN shit OH MY GOD I LOVE CRACKDOWN.

Oh dear, you'd probably have to... I'm surprised that made it past the Microsoft approval process.

Rez said:
I am surprised that so many are jumping in early, though. Especially when it seems like the games worth playing are such a long way away.

Even though I was guilty of it back in the N64/PS1 era, I don't understand Day 1 / early adopters (anymore). The rush of owning a console immediately (I still don't know why that thought was attractive to me then) was quickly gone by the second day when you looked at the games and said "I don't really like these games. I never really wanted them, either. I just needed something to play on my shiny new machine..." I look at the 3DS lineup and I get nam-like flashbacks to the N64 launch. Except there's no Mario.

Only getting an 360 last year was awesome; the console was cheap, plenty of games to choose from, most of the 'classics' dirt cheap and no sense of immediate buyer's remorse. Sure, I won't be experiencing the "latest greatest you are no one if you don't have this" thing but I'm quite happy to wait.

The way I see it, the early adopters are all subsidizing my future cheap console. Carry on, my fellows, buy up. Buy up.

legend166

All this 3DS talk is making me want to get one.

I have a bonus coming with my next pay cheque.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?!

If I do get one - order off Amazon or buy in Australia?

Bernbaum

Scrow said:
you can get some amazing food in London if you know where to go.
Yes but whilst countries like Australia produce a normal distribution that has the bulgey bit right over the halfway mark on the graph of food quality, the median of England's curve sits down at the 'stubbornly average' end of the plot with a very thin tapering decay curve up to the 'damn son, that's TASTY' end of the plot.

My 3DS departed LA at 13:43! Yey!

legend166 said:

WHAT SHOULD I DO?!

Litmus test: do you care about games like Radiant Historia, 999 or Phoenix Wright? If you do, import. If not, you're probably better off buying local and just putting up with a few months delay.

I also got some credit on my Amazon account, good until the 30th of June. I'm thinking I'll spend it on OoT3D if it comes out around that time.

legend166

viciouskillersquirrel said:
My 3DS departed LA at 13:43! Yey!

Litmus test: do you care about games like Radiant Historia, 999 or Phoenix Wright? If you do, import. If not, you're probably better off buying local and just putting up with a few months delay.

I also got some credit on my Amazon account, good until the 30th of June. I'm thinking I'll spend it on OoT3D if it comes out around that time.

The point of games not being released in PAL land is indeed a good one.

BUT, it seem like it would be cheaper to go PAL. Games are $50 on ozgameshop, but $61 (including shipping) on Amazon.

Clipper

Planet_JASE said:
Even though I was guilty of it back in the N64/PS1 era, I don't understand Day 1 / early adopters (anymore). The rush of owning a console immediately (I still don't know why that thought was attractive to me then) was quickly gone by the second day when you looked at the games and said "I don't really like these games. I never really wanted them, either. I just needed something to play on my shiny new machine..." I look at the 3DS lineup and I get nam-like flashbacks to the N64 launch. Except there's no Mario.

The way I see it, the early adopters are all subsidizing my future cheap console. Carry on, my fellows, buy up. Buy up.
The thing is, I actually want to play the launch games I am buying. I actually want to take 3D photos. I actually want to show this to my friends that I haven't even discussed this with and see their reactions to the magical device which looks apparently bigger on the inside without glasses ;).

Also, I can't wait to see Pilotwings in action. There are several things that I have always had a little trouble with in 2D gaming... jumping to hit blocks above you, timing the hit of the ball in baseball games, landing a floating character on a platform or target and judging exactly where a floating platform is when in a 3D third person view from the side. In all cases, I am forced to use the shadows, and pretty much only the shadows, where these floating objects really are. Miyamoto has told us the block jumping has been solved by this (which should also fix floating platform jumping) and impressions of Pilotwings Resort indicate that the floating character onto a target problem is also fixed. I want to experience this technique that solves so many minor gripes I've had with platformers for so long and I want to experience it now :).

I can perfectly understand your points, though. The launch lineup is definitely not for everyone.

legend166 said:

WHAT SHOULD I DO?!

BanShunsaku said:
The fact that I haven't pulled the trigger on a 3DS yet probably indicates that I shouldn't do it. Was so close to clicking "buy now" on Amazon last night :(

I think I will wait to read some impressions from my trusted AusGAF.
Order off Amazon guys, you know you want to. You can even have fun tracking your packages together....

And yeah, import. The only thing you give up is the convenience of buying local games and having local games bought for you. US release day prices plus shipping are way less than even the best sale prices in Australia, so you are saving there with every game you buy. You also get access to most games weeks or months earlier than their Aussie releases. Perhaps we'll get a region free method in the future which means the only real negative disappears, too.

legend166 said:
The point of games not being released in PAL land is indeed a good one.

BUT, it seem like it would be cheaper to go PAL. Games are $50 on ozgameshop, but $61 (including shipping) on Amazon.
I'm only buying games on Amazon due to the savings right now. US games from Play-Asia games are about $48 including shipping, and if you buy two at once each time, you get the $5 coupon off the next purchase.

Gazunta

It's not even 9am and I've already been asked three times if I bought a 3DS yet.

As much as I love the idea of playing a new Julian Gollop game, the idea of paying $50 for a game is so foreign to me now I don't know if I could actually do it.

jambo

1 day to go, 1 day to go =D

And $48 for a new release 3D game isn't too bad, especially if Paper Mario 3DS and Zelda 3DS are that price. Can not wait for Ocarina!!!

Gazunta

Or I could buy $50 in iTunes cards and have about 30 new games for my iPad.

I will end up getting a 3DS, no doubt about it, so put down the pitchforks people :)

giri

Clipper said:
The thing is, I actually want to play the launch games I am buying. I actually want to take 3D photos. I actually want to show this to my friends that I haven't even discussed this with and see their reactions to the magical device which looks apparently bigger on the inside without glasses ;).

If someone walked up to me with a 3ds going THREE DEE PHOTOOOOOOOOOS MAN. i'd probably go "cool device" then change topics :p

Not to rain on your parade, just seemed a very odd point to justify a day 1 purchase.

legend166 said:

I'm in exactly the same boat. Bonus should come through on Thursday, the day of the 3DS release.

Divine providence?

Bernbaum

Thoroughly looking forward to taking a 3D photo of my junk and spending hours just sliding the 3D settings back and forth to make it pop in and out of the screen.

Nintendo’s ‘Streetpass’ feature for the 3DS and the reward system for walking with it out and about on the street means that 3DS owners will be a growing visible part of the commuter population over the rest of the year. You’ll see these people in the street and maybe they’ll even see you carrying your 3DS. Eye contact will be made, and there will be a brief moment of understanding as you pass each other the way to your respective destinations. You will have the realisation that you just saw another proud Nintendo 3DS who very likely has a 3D projection of his/her genitalia stored on their precious new device.

Warm fuzzy feelings and/or chills of repulsion will then commence.

Mar

Rez said:
I think you might be projecting a bit here. I'm not sure it's so much that the world has substantially changed so much as you've just got a bit older.
I am projecting a bit, sure. I mean it's hard not to when this is the reality around me.

I'm sure there is a world out there going apeshit for the 3DS but I haven't seen it in person yet. And most of my friends are hardcore gamers.

The getting older part? While true (you can't stop time!), I'm as much a gamer now as I have always been, if not more so. Admittedly I haven't played much in the last three months console wise. However my 'bite size' gaming has increased on phones and xblah.

Mar

jambo said:
All of those games combined won't have the depth and brilliance of a Zelda or Mario game.
But they will be unique experiences for the most part. Unlike the 4 millionth Zelda and Mario that's exactly the same game over again.

jambo

I love gaming on the iPhone and iPad, but I've yet to come across a AAA title that comes anywhere near the games you see on dedicated handhelds.

Bernbaum

Sorry but the only Zelda and Mario games that ever felt like rehash have been Twilight Princess and Super Mario Sunshine. Hell, there's even enough progression between Galaxy 1 and 2 that makes each game feel different despite what is ostensibly the same presentation.

Jintor

Gazunta said:
As much as I love the idea of playing a new Julian Gollop game, the idea of paying $50 for a game is so foreign to me now I don't know if I could actually do it.

I went to go grab a copy of Halo: Reach because we needed another copy for a games night, and it was, what, $110? I felt incredibly ripped off, especially when I've been getting quality (PC) games for $50, $40, $10 recently. Steam's spoiled me.

jambo

Bernbaum said:
Sorry but the only Zelda and Mario games that ever felt like rehash have been Twilight Princess and Super Mario Sunshine. Hell, there's even enough progression between Galaxy 1 and 2 that makes each game feel different despite what is ostensibly the same presentation.

Ok then all the other AAA games on handhelds, I didn't mean just Mario and Zelda.

Omikron

Jintor said:
I went to go grab a copy of Halo: Reach because we needed another copy for a games night, and it was, what, $110? I felt incredibly ripped off, especially when I've been getting quality (PC) games for $50, $40, $10 recently. Steam's spoiled me.

Or just showing you we have been overcharged / ripped for years?

Mar

jambo said:
I love gaming on the iPhone and iPad, but I've yet to come across a AAA title that comes anywhere near the games you see on dedicated handhelds.

I agree, and would only say your examples of Mario and Zelda as bad ones.

While others have mentioned that Mario and Zelda have remained fresh, I find them utterly tiring. Zelda is almost entirely the same game over again, and I haven't enjoyed it since LttP. Whereas Mario has had more variation but I've still never enjoyed one since Lost Levels.

Over all though, the game comparisons between a dedicated handheld and an iPhone are vast. iPhone games you buy for a dollar or so and play once and never touch again. On a handheld they are full gaming experiences. Not to mention on screen joystick and buttons is the worst thing ever devised.

But even with all that being true, I feel the smart phone has the leg up. Why? Because when I want to game on a small screen I want something I can play for 5 minutes and then I'm done (though the games I've been getting into can last me an entire day, finish them, then never touch again (Minotron for example)). If I want to play something more involved I want the full experience of a large screen and a controller in my hand, and I play it on a console. I think the dedicated handheld, for me at least, is a middle tier that just isn't necessary anymore.

Gazunta

I was going to post a reply, but then I read Mar's post, and would have just said the same thing but with less word putting together good typing...things.

jambo

Mar said:
But even with all that being true, I feel the smart phone has the leg up. Why? Because when I want to game on a small screen I want something I can play for 5 minutes and then I'm done (though the games I've been getting into can last me an entire day, finish them, then never touch again (Minotron for example)). If I want to play something more involved I want the full experience of a large screen and a controller in my hand, and I play it on a console. I think the dedicated handheld, for me at least, is a middle tier that just isn't necessary anymore.

You're just not a core gamer ;)

Aon

I really value the "middle tier" although not as a portable experience. It just seems that certain genres, like SRPGs, JRPGs, Visual Novels and weird things like Ghost Trick seem to be financially viable on these platforms. Was this tier to die out I'm not sure that all of these kinds of games would suddenly reemerge on the home console and none of them are terribly well suited to my phone. I treat dedicated handhelds as a weird exclusive console for lower budget titles, rather than anything else.

It would be nice to these developers transition over to Steam or PSN, but the bar is so much higher on the "real" platforms that I'm not sure they'd see the success they get in the handheld space. Which would be sad.

Choc

Banned
Salazar said:
Touched down at Heathrow. Writing this on airport internet point. Venice amazing. London cold.

so what do you think about the worlds biggest airport and having to walk 20 minutes from the plane to customs and then sitting in customs queues for 2 hrs ? :)

Mar

Aon said:
I really value the "middle tier" although not as a portable experience. It just seems that certain genres, like SRPGs, JRPGs, Visual Novels and weird things like Ghost Trick seem to be financially viable on these platforms. Was this tier to die out I'm not sure that all of these kinds of games would suddenly reemerge on the home console and none of them are terribly well suited to my phone. I treat dedicated handhelds as a weird exclusive console for lower budget titles, rather than anything else.

It would be nice to these developers transition over to Steam or PSN, but the bar is so much higher on the "real" platforms that I'm not sure they'd see the success they get in the handheld space. Which would be sad.

This is an excellent point. Those types of games just aren't my thing but if they are to you, then handhelds must be a boon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom