• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandiller

BanShunsaku said:
So I'm loving my 3DS after being away from the DS scene for a year or so (I think the last game I bought was Bowser's Inside Story)

What have I missed RPG wise? I wouldn't mind picking up something to play on my shiny new 3DS apart from SSF4.

Any recommendations?

Golden Sun Dark Dawn (if you played the GBA Golden Sun games). Do it! You know you want to :)

Shaneus said:
So, I wake up to that new Forza 4 (fake?) trailer. Part of this complete breakfast, for sure.

So, head tracking with Kinnect. If I turn my head, the view will shift in-game to match it?

If I turn my head away from the TV the view will change in game.

If I look away from the TV.

Mmmmm, 'kay?

I realise that I can keep my eyes centred on the TV while I move my head, but really, it's not the most intuitive nor comfortable thing to do. It also restricts how far you can move your head, so I don't know if the system will then have to exaggerate the movement in game, which therefore seems like it might be a bit finicky. Seems like a useless bit of tech wank, really.

Shaneus

I reckon it'll be more subtle than that. I'm more thinking head "tilting" than actual turning (if I can be pedantic). I've seen head tracking pulled off in tech demos for the Wii and Kinect on PC so it is possible... just whether it'll be implemented well.

Shaneus said:
I reckon it'll be more subtle than that. I'm more thinking head "tilting" than actual turning (if I can be pedantic). I've seen head tracking pulled off in tech demos for the Wii and Kinect on PC so it is possible... just whether it'll be implemented well.

Cool, thanks for that.

But with making the gesture needed more subtle, does this mean that the player has to remain relatively still in order to stop from unintentionally "looking"? When I'm driving (in the non computer game world) I do like to move my head/neck/shoulders in order to keep them from getting stiff and sore. I don't know if other people do this or it's just me.

Let's hope it's implemented well, I guess.

Planet_JASE said:
So, head tracking with Kinnect. If I turn my head, the view will shift in-game to match it?

Mmmmm, 'kay?

I realise that I can keep my eyes centred on the TV while I move my head, but really, it's not the most intuitive nor comfortable thing to do. It also restricts how far you can move your head, so I don't know if the system will then have to exaggerate the movement in game, which therefore seems like it might be a bit finicky. Seems like a useless bit of tech wank, really.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edXRmj4mpvI
Fantastic video by fellow gaffer TTP showing how head tracking works in Gran Turismo 5.

Rahk

Planet_JASE said:

Mmmmm, 'kay?

They've been doing head tracking on PC with Track IR for flight sims and some FPS, which apparently works quite well. That is different tech to Kinect though, so I'm not sure how well it will work in comparison.

Planet_JASE said:
Cool, thanks for that.

But with making the gesture needed more subtle, does this mean that the player has to remain relatively still in order to stop from unintentionally "looking"? When I'm driving (in the non computer game world) I do like to move my head/neck/shoulders in order to keep them from getting stiff and sore. I don't know if other people do this or it's just me.

Let's hope it's implemented well, I guess.
Do you move your head/neck/shoulders when playing a game though? I typically look straight at the screen, and if I were to move my head I'm sure I'd correct myself if the view changed too much. I think it would be pretty intuitive.

Rahk said:
Do you move your head/neck/shoulders when playing a game though? I typically look straight at the screen, and if I were to move my head I'm sure I'd correct myself if the view changed too much. I think it would be pretty intuitive.

First off, I don't have a Kinnect, so all of this conversation - at least from my end - is purely theoretical. But yeah, if I am sitting up and playing games I do tend to wriggle around from time to time. My usual pose is lying down on the couch, where I tend to move my head, adjust the pillows, etc. But this is playing with a controller and not a Kinnect. Obviously I would have to adjust to the new input type.

I just wonder though if this is another case of "the thought being far better than the reality." It's a nice idea to be able to move your head to change the view, but... meh, it really doesn't seem that great to me, in practice. I like the idea of playing a realistic fighting game and being able to actually control the my avatar's complete movement, everything that I do replicated 1:1. Realistically, though, I'm only a theoretical student of fighting, knowing many styles, practices, etc, but only through watching mixed martial arts. I would most likely suck at such a fighting game and would find the reality of it frustrating and not too much fun.

In practice, any game like that will probably have you perform certain motions that will then translate into a animation on screen. For me, there's no more immersion in that than there is having to input (1/4 circle forward + A) on a controller. Sure, I'm moving my body in a slight facsimile of the action I want to be performed but I'm not sure if that puts me 'further into the game' than using a controller.

To bring it back to the original head tracking point, I think that this suffers from the same problem. It's a form of control that sort of requires the real world equivalent of what you want to do but not really. I'm sure you'll get used to keeping your eyes on the screen while moving your head but it kind of takes the shine off of it. At least for me, it does.

I don't know, you can probably all just start ignoring me. I fall further into the ANGRY MAN CHASES CLOUDS AWAY FROM PROPERTY stereotype each year. I know I don't have to use these control methods, and I probably won't (beyond the Wii, which you can't escape most of the time). As long as these devices are offered as an alternative to a traditional controller with there being no disadvantage to using one, I will remain happy (or keep my currently level of 'angry at the world'. At the point that it become a standard "eh, you could use a controller to play the games... but, y'know, I probably wouldn't" is the point that... eh, I just hope we have a completely VR system by then.

Deeku

Clipper said:
I've been importing a lot of my games for a while now. I ship my US Club Nintendo stuff to a friend's address in the States and he ships them to me. You can also use a service such as HopShopGo as your delivery address if you have no friends that could do it for you.
Hmm I'll look into that. Shipping from HopShopGo isn't too bad since nintendo is free shipping.

So I went to the Opera House last night for the Beethoven performance (which was amazing) and found out that they are having a Final Fantasy performance in a couple of weeks.

It's by the Sydney Symphony orchestra through Distant Worlds...but they're all sold out. I'm so devastated, I have always wanted to go to something like that. If anyone comes across some tickets on Ebay or something, please let me know :)

p.s Nobuo Uematsu will be in attendance.

Timely.

headache.png

Sutton Dagger said:
So I went to the Opera House last night for the Beethoven performance (which was amazing) and found out that they are having a Final Fantasy performance in a couple of weeks.

It's by the Sydney Symphony orchestra through Distant Worlds...but they're all sold out. I'm so devastated, I have always wanted to go to something like that. If anyone comes across some tickets on Ebay or something, please let me know :)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Final-Fantas...20703400792?pt=AU_Tickets&hash=item1c1a7bbb58

Danoss

Sutton Dagger said:

I mentioned that the same page as your Beethoven post. They're doing Fellowship of the Ring music soon also.

Danoss said:
I mentioned that the same page as your Beethoven post. They're doing Fellowship of the Ring music soon also.

That was the PLAY concerts, not sure when they are coming to Aus again. I'm thinking about doing the LotR one as well :)

Rezbit

Picked up my 3DS yesterday! Loving it so far, 3D screen is fantastic. Getting used to the circle pad; I really do feel like I'm starting as a total newbie in SFIV. I got slaughtered by Guile on medium! Face Raiders is hilarious, AR Games a nice little distraction. Quite funny holding Mario in your hand!

My friendcode is 1289-8234-7715. I'll get some of youse guys codes from the spreadsheet. Aww, friend! Nintendo friend!

Danoss

Sutton Dagger said:
Damn, sorry dude my mistake, didn't see that post :(
All good, shame you missed out. They were probably sold out when I posted that anyway.

There's always the LotR performance, I'm also heavily considering it.

Clipper

OK, guys. SydGAF Meetup is on like Donkey Kong.

It seems like Thursday at the Australian Heritage Hotel in The Rocks is the most popular day and location still, so that's the plan. I'll try to arrange a table on the night under the name SydGAF. Now we just need a time.

How about we say 7pm? You can go directly to the bar, but I'll be at Circular Quay at 6:30pm then moving to meet Cookie at Lang Park on York St (nearby Wynyard) at about 6:45pm and then we'll go off to the Australian. If you want to meet us at either of those locations, PM me so I know who to look for and we can work out exact places.

We have 7 potential attendees according to the signup form, but everyone who can make it is still welcome. To those that aren't able to come, we'll try to do it again soon (gotta catch up to BrisGAF 3DS after all).

Edit: please note, time and order of the meetups were switched about a bit on Saturday night. I changed the above to reflect the new schedule.

Jintor

Clipper said:

It seems like Thursday at the Australian Heritage Hotel in The Rocks is the most popular day and location still, so that's the plan. I'll try to arrange a table on the night under the name SydGAF. Now we just need a time.

How about we say 7pm? You can go directly to the bar, but I'll be meeting Cookie earlier at Lang Park on York St (nearby Wynyard) at about 6:30pm and we can then move onto Circular Quay at 6:45pm on our way up to the Australian. If you want to meet us at either of those locations, PM me so I know who to look for and we can work out exact places.

We have 7 potential attendees according to the signup form, but everyone who can make it is still welcome. To those that aren't able to come, we'll try to do it again soon (gotta catch up to BrisGAF 3DS after all).

So how do we recognize each other?

Secret callsigns? Stupid hats? Wait until our 3DSes register a streetpass hit?

Coeliacus

Seriously nothing playing tonight as far as gigs go. Guess I'll go crash at a friends place near Lygon, have some good food and play some Marvel.

Raskulls - 400 allards - Cute and enjoyable platformer. Kinda gives me a Monkey Island vibe with it's fantastic writing and artwork. Challenges have been fun and varied so far. Best game I've played by an Australian crew. 5/5

RDR: Undead Nightmare - 400 allards - Forgot how fantastic RDR is, they shot straight for camp with the zombies and it has been great fun so far setting them on fire and hunting Yeti's. If you like RDR and want some more missions I would highly recommend it. 5/5

Talking of allards, is there somewhere that people get discounted point cards from? I know people in the US who do this and would definitely grab more games if they were a bit cheaper. Steam has really hurt my lower-price tier purchases.

Also everybody stop buying 3DS's! It is getting harder and harder to smother the voice of impulse in my head. :(

Took a bunch of 3D photos of scenery and flowers today while scouting out photo locations for my wedding - I took a bunch of 2D photos with a proper camera as well. It's so cool! I seriously can't stop looking at them.

This is making me want a proper 3D camera.

Clipper said:

How about we say 7pm? You can go directly to the bar, but I'll be meeting Cookie earlier at Lang Park on York St (nearby Wynyard) at about 6:30pm and we can then move onto Circular Quay at 6:45pm on our way up to the Australian. If you want to meet us at either of those locations, PM me so I know who to look for and we can work out exact places.

I work in Wynyard dude, prob meet you outside my work - australia square and walk down tobthe rocks?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Thought you couldn't go on thursday untold!

I was excited about checking out luna park for shits and giggles after work only to be disappointed when i checked their open times. They are closed on all days i am there except monday which they close at 4pm :/

Is there anything I should try and check out after work hours? I am in crows nest for the 4 nights i'm there, So i don't want to travel too far to see something for 20 minutes.

There's st leonards park, exciting!

Jintor

Is St Leonard's Park the one next to St Leonard's station, or is it the one opposite North Sydney Boys? I always forget.

Clipper

untoldhero said:
I work in Wynyard dude, prob meet you outside my work - australia square and walk down tobthe rocks?
Good to here you can make it. The fact you said you couldn't make Thursday made me nearly choose another day.

Anyway, I'm thinking Lang Park as the meetup as it's the closest stop for those coming in from the North Side as well as easy for me to get to as I am going to have to walk to Circular Quay and then over to Lang Park and then back to... wait a sec... OK, that was a silly idea.

New plan guys:

First meetup is at Circular Quay at about 6:30pm. Next meetup at Lang Park at about 6:45pm. Then over to the Australian by 7pm. Cookie can see the Circular Quay sites after we finish at the bar.

Gazunta

evlcookie said:
Pics gaz, They are required.
Sorry man been too busy selling stuff to take pics of random passerby :)

Today was great! Fun crowds, lots of interest in my stuff and the opportunity to talk to great people. The big surprise was that people wanted to buy sketches of super heroes
with pot plants on their heads
from me. Nice :)

BrisGAF people who haven't stopped by to say hi - ONE DAY REMAINS!

Bernbaum's excempted since he's off being classy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom