• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shaneus said:
Agreed, JASE. Good points on Hyper.

I think Wildgoose was one of the original writers for Hyper (or PCPP) a very long time ago... I remember not minding his stuff so it's probably better than the really bad years (I think around 2000 or so?) where I cancelled my sub. Sad fact is, there's no real relevance to me now. If I want a good review, I'll go to the Eurogamer website. If I want news, I'll check out the first page or two of GAF threads. If I want witty banter, I'll listen to Idle Thumbs.

Pretty sure it's not $4.95 either, which was a major selling point for me when I was a junior.
Far from $4.95. At the same time, it's still not as expensive as some of the overseas mags were when it was that price. I'm pretty sure I remember paying over $10 for some of those US mags, back in the day.

Choc said:
hyper is $9 which is way to much
I assume that has more to do with dwindling circulation numbers. I can't imagine the financial pressure that small print run magazines work under.

Choc said:
if you knew wilks and shea you would understand why the magazine changed and was run into the ground under them.
Is this something that you can elaborate on? I understand if you can't.

The part that surprises me it that I get the impression that Wilks didn't leave on good terms or was supplanted. I have started to doubt that as he now appears as a columnist and is reviewing a large number of games.

Choc said:
Wildgoose is a man on a mission to save two magazines, PCPP and Hyper. So far he is doing well. DW is one of my most respected games journalists around.
What's PCPP like these days? Did it suffer from the same problems Hyper did? Or is it purely a print vs internet issue for that mag? I did get a few issues of it back in the day, but not being a PC Gamer there wasn't much in it for me. It seemed fairly intelligent and had a better value for money feel due to the included CD/DVD and larger page count.

Danoss

So it seems my 3DS package arrived in Sydney shortly after 10am this morning. If it wasn't for the 24 hour delay at Amazon, I would have it in my hot little hands this morning, ready for StreetPass action and such at the SydGAF meetup this evening.

I'm assuming there'll be a morning delivery of it tomorrow.

I've been reading Hyper since issue #3. Still got all the old one's in a box at my parents place along with other old stuff they always ask me to "deal with" when I visit. Of course I conveniently change the topic and forget about it because I really don't want to throw anything away (see: hoarder).

It's a hard sell these days at $10, but I still like the magazine and I'm glad they've managed to stick around all these years.

Hell, reading Hyper is probably directly responsible for my interest in gaming news- and subsequent membership on this forum.

Might go buy the latest issue at lunch time for old times sake!

Clipper

commanderdeek said:
Heh, yeah it's on.

Maybe I'll pocket it instead of shoving it into my bag.
Head past the Australian Hotel after 7pm tonight and I bet you'd get a few StreetPasses... :p

Danoss said:
So it seems my 3DS package arrived in Sydney shortly after 10am this morning. If it wasn't for the 24 hour delay at Amazon, I would have it in my hot little hands this morning, ready for StreetPass action and such at the SydGAF meetup this evening.

I'm assuming there'll be a morning delivery of it tomorrow.
If it has cleared customs already, you might make it onto the afternoon delivery. Alternatively, if you have time, you could go out to the airport and pick it up. It'd be great to have another 3DS present tonight, so good luck in any case :).

Mar

legend166 said:
Definitely won't be coming tonight. Sick day today. Feel like rubbish.

How does it feel being the first to make a lame excuse for our social gathering. HOW DOES IT FEEL.

Also, get well soon.

Jintor said:
Working, yep

Oh you work at Hyper, that's cool. I haven't read the mag for well over 10 years so I have no idea if it's any good these days. Loved it back in the 90s though. I have the first 80 issues which I'll pop on eBay one of these days. No idea if they're worth anything.

Free subs for every SydGAF member who turns up tonight. amirite?

Choc said:
Street pass really is what makes the 3DS

its amazing and makes people take teh system whereever they go

Everyone's talking about it, but no one says what it actually does. What does this thing do anyway?

Shaneus said:
If I want a good review, I'll go to the Eurogamer website.

Hmm. I'm not a fan of their scoring at all. I love their podcasts but like Giantbomb, I don't agree on their critique. Eurogamer score too high, and Giantbomb are pretty much opposite to my own view on games.

There's only one source I trust for video game critique, and that's Edge.

Shaneus

I bought my first Hyper magazine (#2) at a newsagents in Ocean Grove because of a cheat for NBA Jam. The articles they had on Australian electronic music were ridiculously good, too.

For Mar: I was just throwing the Eurogamer name out there as an example. Figured it was better to namedrop them than, say, IGN. What's the presence of Edge like in Australia? Is it just a UK import-only or is there an Australian (ie. less wallet-damaging) equivalent?

ManeKast

Living at North Coast NSW I have not had any streetpass luck yet at all with the 3DS. Will be purposefully heading to Robina tonight to try for some hits, has anyone else had luck on the Gold Coast? Does it make a sound or anything? Going to go see Rango and dont wanna be 'that guy'.

I feel for you guys dealing with couriers. I refuse to use them anymore unless its to work as I have been stuffed around so much. Last thing was AAE could not deliver to my adress (steep driveway) and my post office wouldn't take delivery (weirdos, though apparently they have to, depends whos working there / small town) so my Iphone 4 ended up in Limbo for over a week. Never again.

With this post I finally become a member after a few years and thought this the thread to be unleash the moment (I follow this thread every day but don't post much), when I click 'Submit Reply' will anything awesome happen...?

Edit: apparently not. Still a junior? Damn. How embaressing.

Jintor said:
It's like a block from Wynyard and it's in the direction of the Rocks, man.
No what I mean is meeting at 630 at circular quay jetty 6 which is near the train station is like 10 min from lang park so we would have to walk 5-10 backwards to walk forwards.

Doesn't matter really but just an observation.

Anyway I will be walking around quay for a while beforehand with either a Gaf logo on my backpack with Syd or Untold. I will be in a suit almost with white shoes, my backpack will be the nerd beacon lol

Mar

Shaneus said:
For Mar: I was just throwing the Eurogamer name out there as an example. Figured it was better to namedrop them than, say, IGN. What's the presence of Edge like in Australia? Is it just a UK import-only or is there an Australian (ie. less wallet-damaging) equivalent?

The web presence is pretty much non existent. Eurogamer are probably the leading website for video game journalism in my opinion, though as I said I don't like their scoring.

Edge are still very much magazine based. Grab the latest issue from selected news stands for $16 a piece, or sign up for a 13 issue digital subscription for $39.

Deeku

Clipper said:
Head past the Australian Hotel after 7pm tonight and I bet you'd get a few StreetPasses... :p
I actually might have joined you guys if I wasn't busy with work and uni.

There's a pokemon battle comp at Myer in the city next sunday so I might go and hang around for the street passes lol.

Danoss

Clipper said:
If it has cleared customs already, you might make it onto the afternoon delivery. Alternatively, if you have time, you could go out to the airport and pick it up. It'd be great to have another 3DS present tonight, so good luck in any case :).
I've never experienced an afternoon delivery after goods had arrived in Sydney in the morning. If it happens, it'll be a first.

I could go out and meet it at the airport, but since I have poor knowledge of buses and such around Sydney, I'm bound to get myself in trouble and be late for the meetup. At least I'll have one for the next meetup (hopefully this one goes well enough for that to happen).

Interesting all you guys who keep your mags in a box. I had mine boxed up for years before donating them all to the guys at Blue Tongue. Whether they dumped them in a bin or use them for reference/recreation I have no idea since I don't know anyone who works there any more.

jambo

I really need to get some boxes and sleeves for my comics. Ever since I started going back to buying them weekly I've just been piling them up in a corner.

Danoss

What's this?

im7pb4.jpg

Fingers crossed.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So a prepaid bus just means i need to buy a ticket before stepping onto the bus since the driver won't sell me one right?

I picked up a single mybus2 for my trip so i'm guessing i can use that to jump on the M20 bus which is a prepaid service.

Sure is a pretty blue ticket.

Choc

Banned
evlcookie said:
So a prepaid bus just means i need to buy a ticket before stepping onto the bus since the driver won't sell me one right?

I picked up a single mybus2 for my trip so i'm guessing i can use that to jump on the M20 bus which is a prepaid service.

you should blog your experience cookie then we can send it to the government and show just how anti-tourist our systems are

fucking useless

also cookie, maybe, depends on work

Deeku

Just ordered some stuff off playasia and noticed that the delivery time for the cheapest option is now "up to 21 days"....no wonder shit takes so long to arrive these days. Good thing fedex is only 10 bucks more.

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
What's wrong with pre-paid public transport? It works rather well.

its fine. what is not fine is how complex our systems are vs other cities in the country and world for foreigners

Shaneus

Mar said:
Works on PC and Mac as well. But yeah, I feel the need for an iPad for this purpose too.
I saw a few e-magazines on a mates iPad 2 and for that purpose alone it's quite tempting... far more than for web browsing or playing games. Doubt I'd get one for movies or music so I could probably even just spring for a 16gb wifi-only model. I'll wait and see what happens with the iPhone 5 first, though... that's probably my next electronic gadget.

Clipper

evlcookie said:

Yep, those buses don't take money at all. You won't be able to take the M20 back, but you'll be able to take any other bus back.

When you get on the bus, there'll be a green box in front of the driver and another just around the corner on the other side of the aisle. Drop your ticket into one of them with the arrow pointing down and facing you, then take it when it pops back out with some funky writing on the back and you're good to then sit down (or stand if there are no seats).

Also, please vacate seats for elderly or disabled passengers and, if standing, move as far to the back of the bus as you can to allow room for more people. Do not talk to the driver while the bus is in motion and do not consume food or drink, or smoke while on the bus. In case of emergency please head to the emergency exit window, grab the handles and...

OK, that's enough. Too much time spent on buses with nothing to do but read the various information messages printed everywhere...

Danoss said:
What's this?

im7pb4.jpg

Fingers crossed.
In transit means it's on its way. Now you just need to make sure somebody is home to answer the door and sign for the package...

Mar

Clipper, it's going to be funny when we meet if we actually know each other. BSS works with me also so I wouldn't be surprised if we recognise you. We've been here 10 years.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The AR card functionality on the 3DS is truly amazing.

Bernbaum

Rez said:
The AR card functionality on the 3DS is truly amazing.
'twas my first out of the box experience with the 3DS. Had a total mind flip when I couldn't find the target to shoot before realizing I could physically move around the level to get a clear shot of the bullseye.

Kids are gonna lose their shit over it.

Jintor

untoldhero said:
No what I mean is meeting at 630 at circular quay jetty 6 which is near the train station is like 10 min from lang park so we would have to walk 5-10 backwards to walk forwards.

Doesn't matter really but just an observation.

Anyway I will be walking around quay for a while beforehand with either a Gaf logo on my backpack with Syd or Untold. I will be in a suit almost with white shoes, my backpack will be the nerd beacon lol

Actually you have a point. I'll head down to the Quay at 6:30 then. Which wharf? Six?

Danoss

Clipper said:
In transit means it's on its way. Now you just need to make sure somebody is home to answer the door and sign for the package...
Heh, I know what it meant, I was just surprised. :p
I'm more inclined to believe that it's in transit to a local depot where it will sit until tomorrow morning.

If it is delivered today, I'm home until just before 5pm, when I leave for the meetup. I just hope I don't get this, again:

ikqxMS.jpg

Clipper

Jintor said:
Actually you have a point. I'll head down to the Quay at 6:30 then. Which wharf? Six?

Yes. Outside Wharf/Jetty No. 6.

And thanks for changing your mind. It gives us all some time to do some sightseeing on the way :).

Danoss said:
Heh, I know what it meant, I was just surprised. :p
I'm more inclined to believe that it's in transit to a local depot where it will sit until tomorrow morning.
It would have made it to the depot already by now, I assume.

Mar said:
Clipper, it's going to be funny when we meet if we actually know each other. BSS works with me also so I wouldn't be surprised if we recognise you. We've been here 10 years.
Indeed, although I don't get out into the other parts of campus much so I doubt we've seen each other. At a high school reunion a few years back, I also discovered that one of the other guys at the reunion had been working at UNSW for a few years. We knew each other's faces well and had never spotted each other.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Micheles patisserie is now on my list of places to buy food at. I got me a huge donut (so good, so bad) and a tasty sausage roll.

So i might be up here for 3 days next week, monday, tues and wed. Part of me can't be assed coming back, It just feels like a silly stop gap for this place getting it's shit sorted.

Will see what they say i guess.

Rezbit

Hey dudes, added all of you who have SSFIV to my 3DS friends list. How do you actually play with friends online...can you invite people or something?

hamchan

Rezbit said:
Hey dudes, added all of you who have SSFIV to my 3DS friends list. How do you actually play with friends online...can you invite people or something?
You can't. Nintendo's online still sucks.

Bernbaum

What kind of numbers are people enjoying with streetpass hits?

Since getting my 3DS yesterday, I picked up two before my train even got into the city this morning and another four from a lunchtime sweep of Brisbane CBD which may or may not have included a brief random running into of another BrisGAFFER who totally figured out what I was up to within seconds of reading my guilt-ridden facial and body language.

Considering how busy Brisbane is at lunch, I figured I'd pick up more, but it may be early days.

Danoss

Clipper said:
It would have made it to the depot already by now, I assume.
Perhaps, or it's on its way there. It seems "On Vehicle for Delivery/Out for Delivery" are the magic words. Tomorrow it is.

Clipper

Bernbaum said:

Since getting my 3DS yesterday, I picked up two before my train even got into the city this morning and another four from a lunchtime sweep of Brisbane CBD which may or may not have included a brief random running into of another BrisGAFFER who totally figured out what I was up to within seconds of reading my guilt-ridden facial and body language.

Considering how busy Brisbane is at lunch, I figured I'd pick up more, but it may be early days.
I'm on 1 and only 1 from my walk home 2 nights ago. I don't even think that one was from campus either, but from someone in Randwick instead.Lots more tonight, though, and perhaps even some that aren't other SydGAF attendees.

Rezbit

hamchan said:
You can't. Nintendo's online still sucks.

Damn that does suck. I guess it'll still be online organisation. Are there plans to fix it?

Also, haven't taken my 3DS out and about in Melbourne yet, so no Streetpass. My mate who lives in Hobart said he's already got 3!

Clipper

hamchan said:
Heh it'll be awesome if I streetpassed Clipper.
It was some guy called Cheru. Tonight, though...

Rezbit said:
Damn that does suck. I guess it'll still be online organisation. Are there plans to fix it?
You can set up friend matches within the game, I think (don't know for sure as I don't have it). People in chat keep mentioning an option to play friend matches.

Choc

Banned
‘‘One will now broaden its focus on engaging and entertaining males 25-54 and the schedule will centre on targeted drama, HD movies and documentaries, and premium sport.

FUCK YOU LACHLAN MURDOCH.

honestly.... and changing ONE to not have sport is going to get more ratings? yeah.. no

all the digital tv channels rate like shit, why, because outside techheads hardly anyone has jumped to digital or gives a fuck. The fact they don't market and tell people this shit exists doesn't help either

if he has cost us F1 live, he just made the list.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Choc said:
‘‘One will now broaden its focus on engaging and entertaining males 25-54 and the schedule will centre on targeted drama, HD movies and documentaries, and premium sport.

honestly.... and changing ONE to not have sport is going to get more ratings? yeah.. no

all the digital tv channels rate like shit, why, because outside techheads hardly anyone has jumped to digital or gives a fuck. The fact they don't market and tell people this shit exists doesn't help either

It would interesting to see Choc's list;

Lachlan Murdoch
Clouds
The Boy...

Shaneus

Choc said:

Yeah, fuck that. I'm guessing it came from the decision made recently that the AFL was only going to be Foxtel/7 and not Ten.

Back on the page-old topic of game magazines, flicking through old magazines is very enjoyable.

I was thinking the magazines from the pre internet days might actually contain some interesting lost news, screen shots and whatnot. Maybe someone should make a digital back up of some of this stuff?

Fusebox

Banned
Bernbaum said:

12 so far in Sydney, but I travel from the Shire to the North shore everyday so I cover a fair bit of public transport.

Choc said:

I only watch NBA so if they cut back on that, especially with the finals starting I will be well pissed. Sorry for all the other sports people because this will effect you more, but I'm going to be selfish and only care about the sport I watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom