• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
the state of origin system is farcical both ways

it should be where you are born really... just like really every other sport under the sun.... in internationals

i know its not an international but it is called the most prestigious and biggest rugby league match in the world

Bernbaum

Saw the word 'Pocky' appear in the latest FWC, remembered I had Pocky in the fridge at work
technically, two packets of Pocky
and ate half a packet. Shared it with a few people to mentally mitigate the guilt of being a pig. Thanks, Gaz...

I also saw the words 'prestigious' and 'rugby league' appear in the same sentence. Well, by 'sentence' I mean 'loose assortment of words without the a period at the end'.

Looks like there'll be a few fresh faces at BRISGAF 3DS MEET REAL BRISGAFFERS WITHOUT THE NEED FOR GLASSES. For the newcomers, we should be reasonably recognisable, but if it helps I'll be the guy wearing a blue Pacman sweatband
eating Pocky

Kirby102

SYDGAF!!1

I'll probably meet at Circular Quay, since that's the only place I know where to go. lol

I might have a clash with my outings, gotta find out about that tomorrow... :S

Choc said:
the state of origin system is farcical both ways

it should be where you are born really... just like really every other sport under the sun.... in internationals

i know its not an international but it is called the most prestigious and biggest rugby league match in the world

My brother was born in a Brisbane hospital. He moved back to NSW when he was less than one years old (our parents are from NSW). He has played most of his football in NSW and hates the QLD side and very much considers himself to be from NSW.

Who should he play for?

This isn't the same as internationals. You can be born in another country/state but still consider yourself aligned with NSW or QLD. I'm fine with the current system and i haven't heard many complaints.

legend166

If international sport had you being born in the country as a prereq for playing in the team, England wouldn't be able to field a cricket side.

legend166 said:
If international sport had you being born in the country as a prereq for playing in the team, England wouldn't be able to field a cricket side.
SNAP. Helps that Ireland have been shafted by the ICC once again, only way they can earn a decent living is to play for England teams.

Dead Man

AdventureRacing said:
My brother was born in a Brisbane hospital. He moved back to NSW when he was less than one years old (our parents are from NSW). He has played most of his football in NSW and hates the QLD side and very much considers himself to be from NSW.

Who should he play for?

This isn't the same as internationals. You can be born in another country/state but still consider yourself aligned with NSW or QLD. I'm fine with the current system and i haven't heard many complaints.
But what if his first senior game was for a side in QLD? Or would he not move there for a go?

legend166 said:
:lol

wait...

Ashes :(

Anyway, not trying to be obtuse, I just really don't understand the state team selection thing. Guess it's good I don't follow rugby.

Mar said:
It's not a bad game, but as a character driven experience (which is what I loved so much about the first), it's a travesty..
Have you tried The Witcher dear sir?
Sorry to pimp it every single post but I found it to be the best story driven RPG in memory

Danoss said:
I'm so close to having an Android device, I can almost smell it. Telstra compatible Nexus S.
Pure sex. Since I go back home to the country every now and then I'm sticking with Telstra so this is looking good for my upgrade in April/May (maybe the Xperia Play depending on how it turns out).

Megadrive said:
Assassin's Creed 2 is an amazing game. Can't wait to head into Brotherhood. I'm up to memory sequence 12 or so and aside from some free-running issues with Ezio jumping or letting go without meaning to and some cases when the fighting system just doesn't kick in and being boxed into a corner with my own thieves and having to reload, it's been great. Since I've heard Brotherhood is basically 2.5, i'm really excited.
It improves and continues the game perfectly, haven't tried the multiplayer yet but the SP has been well worth the price (and wait for the PC version). I would recommend a break between the two games though otherwise you will burn out pretty quickly as they are both long games.

Bernbaum said:
Freed from the confines of its shell, the newborn chick blinks off the mucus and adjusts to the newness of his surroundings. Mother hen pecks off a flake of eggshell sticking to the chick's beak, and the infant spreads its still-wet wings.
Belfine-chicks-unwrapped-2-300x245.jpg

Danoss

Dead Man said:
But what if his first senior game was for a side in QLD? Or would he not move there for a go?
I think that's where they have a choice; if they play a large part of their junior footy in one state and then play senior in another.

Clipper

Jintor and legend166, don't forget to tell us where you'll be meeting the group. Everybody except Mar and BSS will now be meeting at Circular Quay, but we don't know about you two.

giri

Choc said:
why the Queensland origin team makes a complete farce of the State of Origin concept

1. Karmichael Hunt - AUCKLAND, NZ. 2. Lote Tuqiri - KOROLEVU, FIJI. 3. Greg Inglis - BOWRAVILLE, NSW. 4 Mat Rogers - CARINGBAH, NSW. 5. Israel Folau - SYDNEY, NSW. 6. Julian O'Neill - SYDNEY, NSW. 7. Adrian Lam - RABAUL, PNG. 8. Petero Civoniceva - SUVA, FIJI. 9. Wayne Bartrim - KEMPSEY, NSW. 10. Craig Smith - KAITAIA, NZ. 11. Neville Costigan - RABAUL, PNG. 12. Sam Thaiday - SYDNEY, NSW. 13. Billy Moore - TENTERFIELD, NSW. INTERCHANGE: 14. Scott Sattler - CAMPERDOWN, NSW. 15. Michael Crocker - AUBURN, NSW. 16. Brad Thorn - MOSGIEL, NZ. 17. Tonie Carroll - CHRISTCHURCH, NZ.
LoL if you don't think the NSW team is just as bad.

legend166

Still not sure if I can make it. Got hit with a bit of a flu today, so I'll probably work from home tomorrow. If I show up I'd probably just meet you guys at the place.

Clipper

legend166 said:
Still not sure if I can make it. Got hit with a bit of a flu today, so I'll probably work from home tomorrow. If I show up I'd probably just meet you guys at the place.
Good enough for me. Get well soon, mate!

Stackboy said:
Does anyone watch good game? I stopped after that other guy left, but I decided to give it another try. It's a harmless show, though I wouldn't trust any of their reviews. The scores are always very close to each other. Pretty sure they don't even play the games or do the reviews.

jambo said:
They most definitely do play and review the games. I follow them on twitter and they are both massive gamers.

They do, but nowhere near the required levels some games need to be accurately reviewed. Which is why Junglist left.

Danoss

Megadrive said:
They do, but nowhere near the required levels some games need to be accurately reviewed. Which is why Junglist left.
Heh, Junglist. He's the cousin of a friend of mine. He used to be a pretty nice bloke until he did that show, boy is he up himself now.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I tried Indian tonight as per freds suggestion and it turns out i don't think the stuff is for me. I actually dug the naan bread though, that was tasty.

I actually hate not having an awesome palette of taste when it comes to food, My simple style isn't exciting at all but it keeps me fed i guess.

Has anyone here tried to expand what they have eaten as they have gotten older or do you find it almost impossible as the taste just seems off?

senahorse

I believe every 7 years your tastes change, something like that. Some things I never like, certain tree shaped vegetables...yuck.

Some things over time I have learned to love, like beetroot.

Cookie, go get chicken ramen from a good Japanese takeaway, failing that, just go to Wagamama, I am sure you will dig it :D.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Can't believe i haven't tried chicken raman while i'm in sydney. Ah maybe something for next week since i'm guessing i will be back or i will grab it during lunch in melbourne.

Will stick to the good ol simple pizza tomorrow night though :D

evlcookie said:
I tried Indian tonight as per freds suggestion and it turns out i don't think the stuff is for me. I actually dug the naan bread though, that was tasty.

I actually hate not having an awesome palette of taste when it comes to food, My simple style isn't exciting at all but it keeps me fed i guess.

Has anyone here tried to expand what they have eaten as they have gotten older or do you find it almost impossible as the taste just seems off?
Indian doesn't excite me either, the breads are tasty but most stuff is pretty boring to me. Much prefer chinese or japanese. Strange as I prefer savoury snacks over sweet.

Danoss

I've found that I've been enjoying a wider range of food as I've gotten older. It also helps being a bit more open to things that may initially seem strange. Not sushi though, I've given it too many chances and still don't like it, damn seaweed paper. I really want to like it too.

I recommend giving Indian one more try. This time, try a mild Butter Chicken with rice of course and some nice Naan bread to dip in. If you like that, you can expand from there.

Also, x3no5, broccoli is one of my favourite vegetables.

Dead Man

There is a huge range of flavours and styles in Indian food, beside the normal Aussie Indian staples. But if you just don't like it, at least you can say you tried it.

mandiller

markot said:
Is politics in Australia getting worse or do we just have short memories >_<?

It is most definitely getting worse. It's been shit ever since Gillard and Abbott took over. How I long for both of them to be dumped.

markot

Banned
mandiller said:
It is most definitely getting worse. It's been shit ever since Gillard and Abbott took over. How I long for both of them to be dumped.
We should set them adrift >.<

I thought Gillard was ok... then she became PM and turned into this awful...ness.

Its so weird. Its these stupid factions in the parties. 1 vote between us having Malcom as Op leader and freaking Tony Abbot, and it was mainly on the 'Climate change? Lol!' faction. And the right factions in Labor are just so freaking awful... And so many of the people there are so inept and their only skill comes in ladder climbing the freaking machine.

And the attack on the Greens as though they are these aliens who dont 'share australian values' >_> baaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh fffffffffffff. Labor is turning into a joke.

Fredescu

evlcookie said:
Sorry it didn't work out for you. I've always been a fairly adventurous eater, so I don't know.

Shaneus

I fucking LOVE Indian food. Only started eating it (relatively) recently, but now I find I can't wait until I try it again.

Usually only have the stuff that's with chicken, though. Oh, and pakora... ate it at an amazing Indian place in Manhattan and have been hooked since.

Danoss

Shaneus said:
Oh, and pakora... ate it at an amazing Indian place in Manhattan and have been hooked since.
Those things are awesome. I'm a huge fan of bhajis and samosas as other appetisers. There's also some Indian dessert made with semolina that is incredible too.

I've had a couple of vegetarian Indian main dishes, just to try something different. Both of them were fantastic; one was cottage cheese cubes with a spicy sauce, the other was a mushroom and pea curry. I would have both of them again. The mushroom and pea curry was very spicy, even at "medium" hotness.

All this talk of Indian food, I'm so ordering in some Indian this weekend. I'm glad I live near Harris Park, where there is literally a street with one Indian restaurant after another.

Clipper

The only thing I dislike about eating Indian food in Australia is that it is NOTHING compared to the food I ate while in India for a conference a few years back. They had a catered lunch every day with a wide range of curries, naan and sweets and it was some of the best food I ever tasted.

I still eat quite a bit of Indian here, and it does begin to come close, but I really miss the food over there. However, I don't miss the traffic there. Man, that was scary stuff.

Oh man the Indian meals I had in India so good, much greater flavour, but the best part was you were getting an absolute feast for next to nothing. So, even if you didn't like something you could just move on. Had the exact same experience in China; some crazy good sweet soups that were so foreign to me but tasted great.

Dead Man

Clipper said:
The only thing I dislike about eating Indian food in Australia is that it is NOTHING compared to the food I ate while in India for a conference a few years back. They had a catered lunch every day with a wide range of curries, naan and sweets and it was some of the best food I ever tasted.

I still eat quite a bit of Indian here, and it does begin to come close, but I really miss the food over there. However, I don't miss the traffic there. Man, that was scary stuff.
My partner said the same thing when they came back from India, they wouldn't even eat Indian here for a couple months!

Mar

Fredescu said:
Sorry it didn't work out for you. I've always been a fairly adventurous eater, so I don't know.
Same. I'll try anything once. Indeed, I actively seek new experiences and love new foods. It's the reason I switched to vegetarianism for four months.

Clipper

Bernbaum said:
So just what the fuck am I going to do with all these USA Club Nintendo points?!?!?
If you got a different Nintendogs than French Bulldog, I'll happily take it off your hands... Then again, I don't like registering codes of games I haven't bought (I have previously only used friends' CN codes when I've boguht a game locally).

Thus, I propose a new solution: sign up for Club Nintendo using the address of a US friend or one of the sites like HopShopGo. Perhaps it's best for you to wait until July 1 to do that, though, as it would be difficult to make Platinum this year on 3DS purchases alone (you would need 6 Nintendo-published 3DS games by June 30, or 5 cartridge games and 4 titles from the eShop).

The 3DS plus 2 games would easily get you Gold Status, meaning you'd get some Nintendo themed desktop calendars for 2012, so if you want those, go register the stuff now.

hamchan

I find it quite sad that Gillard and Abbott are now the leaders of our parties; both seem so crappy. Much better when it was Rudd and Turnbull.

Jintor

So I'm not going to drink much and I'll probably go home at like 10-ish tommorrow because I was in the city until fucking 12:30 just then and woaaaaaaaaaaaah is my head spinning

/edit i would like to meet you guys at... uh... that park that is up the road from wynyard park. Circular Quay direction. Can't remember the name. 's up York Street. At... uh... 6:45pm i think it is?

Dead Man

hamchan said:
I find it quite sad that Gillard and Abbott are now the leaders of our parties; both seem so crappy. Much better when it was Rudd and Turnbull.
Turnbull would have tempted my vote, if only Pyne wasn't my local member. Would have been happier with him as PM than Abbot, or as it turns out, Gillard.

Clipper

Jintor said:
So I'm not going to drink much and I'll probably go home at like 10-ish tommorrow because I was in the city until fucking 12:30 just then and woaaaaaaaaaaaah is my head spinning

/edit i would like to meet you guys at... uh... that park that is up the road from wynyard park. Circular Quay direction. Can't remember the name. 's up York Street. At... uh... 6:45pm i think it is?
Lang Park at 6:45 then, yeah. You'll be the only one there with 8 of us moving up from Circular Quay, so just look for a pack of 8 nerds.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The only annoying thing about my cookie monster shirt is the fact it's blue. Blue shirt and blue jeans probably don't go well together. But i guess if i'm a nerd i can claim i know nothing about fashionable colours.

*nods*

I've somehow managed to bruise my right elbow and my left ear is all sorts of bruised and sore.

I also have no idea what i'm having for lunch today. I haven't planned this trip very well at all.

evlcookie said:
I also have no idea what i'm having for lunch today. I haven't planned this trip very well at all.
Little Tokyo Sushi Bar in North Sydney is pretty great from my one trip there while I was up in Sydney for an international business meeting.
to get drunk

Clipper

Man, I wish you could earn more than 10 play coins on the 3DS per day without resorting to cheating by calendar manipulation.

I just got around to completing Lego Star Wars III, but I couldn't work out how to unlock some of the characters that looked like they were unlocked by what looked like some sort of gold medal. Having completed the remainder of the game without receiving a single one, I was a bit confused as to what they were. I now just discovered that they are play coins.

Now I have to use 5 days worth of coins just to get my 100% completion... grr. I guess I'll have to stop hiring so many dogs in Find Mii for a few days, but at least tonight should add a hefty sample of Miis towards that goal.

Stackboy said:
Does anyone watch good game? I stopped after that other guy left, but I decided to give it another try. It's a harmless show, though I wouldn't trust any of their reviews. The scores are always very close to each other. Pretty sure they don't even play the games or do the reviews.

Yeah, I started to watch the show towards the latter half of the year. You know, it's the not the best of shows and I have my list of issues with it but I can't really fault it for providing a little bit of entertainment. Both Bajo and Hex seems to know what they're talking about (I'm not commenting on whether or not their reviews are "correct" but that they seems to have appropriate knowledge and experience with games) and their interplay between is natural and fun to watch.

My only real problems with the show is that, really, for a weekly show they don't seem to cover many games at times. It's not like there are a shortage of games coming out these days it just seems like they only cover the bigger releases. I'd like it if they covered more games, even at the expense of time per game.

I'm really not liking the 'feature story' segment that they've put into the last few shows. One was about gamers that play Far Cry2 using permadeath rules. I'm a gamer. I know a couple of gamers in real life. I post on a gaming forum. I listen to gaming podcasts. But there's just something... cringeworthy about watching gamers talk about some facets of video games. I get it, it adds a certain levels of risk and consequence to games but there's no need to talk it up any further; it just sounds a little sad. On top of that it was encased in a bunch of over acted, over stylized and completely unnecessary scenes by Hex.

But, it's free, has entertainment value and is about games.

6 out of 10 rubber chickens.

Fusebox said:
Yep, haven't missed an episode for years. Haters gonna hate but GG is just so easy to watch compared to the crassness of American VG shows like EP and Bajo cracks me up sometimes.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the older episodes when it was more "hardc0r3" and had street cred with the l33t. I know there was a series of events that lead to all of the "proper gamers" getting released from the show. How was it prior to it's current inception?

Fredescu said:
Foreigners keep buying up our shells. It's bullshit.

They'll probably take jobs away from True Blue Ozzie Chickens, too.

Megadrive said:

Is that why he left? I thought there was more to it than that. At least that's the impression I get.

evlcookie said:

Yes. Hell Yes. When I was young there were very few things that I would eat. I can't even imagine what a nightmare I must have been for my parents. Now, I think I'll pretty much try any food a few times and give it a chance. Sure, there's a few items that I really don't care for, seafood especially, so I'm less likely to try new seafood dishes but I think I enjoy trying new food.

reptilescorpio said:
Indian doesn't excite me either, the breads are tasty but most stuff is pretty boring to me. Much prefer chinese or japanese. Strange as I prefer savoury snacks over sweet.

Interesting... I think Indian can be quite exciting at times, especially with some of the spice combinations. Japanese, though... uh, please refer to my previous seafood comment. Fish? No. Uncooked fish? Nonono. Then again, every time I watch Iron Chef and they have Japanese inspired food my brain so very much wants to like it.

Danoss said:
Not sushi though, I've given it too many chances and still don't like it, damn seaweed paper. I really want to like it too.

Snap!

Dead Man said:
There is a huge range of flavours and styles in Indian food, beside the normal Aussie Indian staples.

Sometimes I force myself to not get my favourite curry and order something different. there's always a potential new favourite out there.

Mar said:
It's the reason I switched to vegetarianism for four months.

There's no reason for doing that.

Lastly, what's the go with 3DS Streetpass? Why is everyone eager to get Streetpass hits? Does it give you gaming points or something?

Kudos cookie for trying something new when alone in a foreign place; whether you liked it or not, it's a good thing that you had a crack at something new.

There is a lot of different Indian stuff, so even if you found you didn't like it, maybe in a few months give it another shot. What did you have? Maybe you could give South Indian stuff a try, it's surprising how much it differs from the heavy oily things that we normally equate with Indian food. You could even try buryani, which is Indian, Sri Lankan, Pakistani, Afghani and probably elsewhere too. Everyone who makes buryani makes it different and they're all so, so good.

I've found in my food adventures that a lot of people say they don't like something, until they try a good example of that thing, at which point they find they love it. Take satay for instance, I hate(d) satay. Hot peanut butter? No thanks! In the past year I've had East Timorese satay, Malaysian satay and Singaporean satay. All incredibly different and all amazing. And only the Singaporean one tasted strongly like peanuts (but not as bad as the awful crap we get here).

Also:

Danoss said:
Not sushi though, I've given it too many chances and still don't like it, damn seaweed paper. I really want to like it too.
Try real sushi that's not from a food court. If you're basing your opinions of any food on its food court version, you're not giving it a fair go. Real fresh suhsi (NOT california rolls!) is transcendent.

Shaneus said:
I miss "The Zone" :(

Which one was that? Was it the one from about 10-15 (maybe) years ago? Had people from some of the local magazines on it, like Amos Wong(?), who really wasn't the best choice to be on camera due to his slow, monotonous voice.

Shaneus

Yeah, that's it. There was Adam... someone, Andrew Humphries and Stuart Clarke (from Hyper when it was good), a few people from Gamestar(I think that's what it was called? Was pretty crap, didn't last long) and some others. I still remember when they couldn't show violence on there so when showing background footage for, say, a Doom cheat they'd show IRL first-person with a Super Soaker. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom