• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maccas

Danoss said:
Damn, that was quick. I've gotta get a wriggle on and read that before the series comes out. I've got 8 days (though the footy is on for 3 of them).

Yes, but you have at least 15 years until the series of books is finished.

DualShadow said:
So guys should I play ME1 before playing ME2?

Yeah, totally. ME1 is a pretty fun game even though there are quite a lot of gameplay differences to ME2. And it only takes like 15 hrs to complete the storyline if memory serves.

Jintor

More importantly, once you finish ME2 you won't be able to stomach the way that ME1 plays.

Well, that's what I found anyway.

Deeku

I'm actually playing through ME2 at the moment on PS3 and am seriously enjoying the shit out of it. Right now I just finished the loyalty missions for all my guys (except for the one I'm still missing) and will start getting back into the story missions. Seems to be looong game too - on 27 hours.

Shaneus

So, AusGAF. Looks like my Kinect might be fucked... the window in the lower-right of the screen just displays either grey or black (still, not moving) dots and I can't calibrate because it won't display an image. Would I need to send it back to MS to get fixed/replaced or can I just box the sucker up, grab the receipt from my folks (it was a Christmas present) and return it from whence it came for a replacement?

DualShadow said:
So guys should I play ME1 before playing ME2?
Hell yes. Female Shep all the way. Enjoy the story and RPG elements. The Mako doesn't come back in ME2 so you only have to tolerate it for so long. The 3rd Person Cover Shooter gameplay is polished to perfection in ME2.

commanderdeek said:
I'm actually playing through ME2 at the moment on PS3 and am seriously enjoying the shit out of it. Right now I just finished the loyalty missions for all my guys (except for the one I'm still missing) and will start getting back into the story missions. Seems to be looong game too - on 27 hours.
Base storyline for all Bioware games this generation seem to be around 9 hours, it's all the side missions that make up the bulk of the content (and the best moments in my opinion).

Shaneus said:
Would I need to send it back to MS to get fixed/replaced or can I just box the sucker up, grab the receipt from my folks (it was a Christmas present) and return it from whence it came for a replacement?
Return it for store credit. Put credit on Portal 2. Remember to thank your glorious parents for giving you Portal 2 for christmas.

Megadrive said:
Problem is you'd need it to run in the background, which i don't think you can do on either platform.

Also does anyone know if harvey norman are still selling games on the cheap today and or tomorrow?
I'd say it will be able to run in the background on both platforms. In fact, I'm sure it's the least of the problems with the whole Idea.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Return it for store credit. Put credit on Portal 2. Remember to thank your glorious parents for giving you Portal 2 for christmas.
I [heart] it though! I actually asked for it.

lol?

Shaneus

Forza 4, Child of Eden, Michael Jackson: The Experience... as well as what I already have: Sports, Dance Central and Adventures.

Sad thing is, it was working this morning when I queued up downloads of Kinectimals and the other new "pet" one and it was fine. Now, the IR thingy on the left-hand side doesn't spit out any IR beams at all :(

Shaneus said:
and the Twisted Pixel one.
20hx7pv1.gif

I kid, I loved 'Spolosion Man. Gunstringer doesn't look like my cup of tea though unfortunately.

Mar

First time on a computer since Thursday night. Shits been busy.

Danoss said:
That might be why. I had something like 5 pints of that, a schooner of Carlton Draught and a James Squire IPA.

I can't remember how many I had, nor what sort. Though I think most of it was Bulmers pints. Good to hear I've converted more people!

evlcookie said:
I have to say, while not surprising, the 3DS didn't do all that much for me. It looks cool for the first minute and then i just got bored of it

That's how I felt. Initially I was really surprised at how good the 3D looked and was really excited by the system. But then after seeing more than just the menus, such as a couple of games and apps running, I sort of tired of the effect pretty quickly. Some of it looks good, others not so good. I think it's the inconsistency that gets to me. It's not an effect that's constant throughout all the experience. It's kind of hit and miss.

Once the wow factor of the 3D goes away (pretty quickly) you're left with the games. And there's still nothing on there that interests me just yet.

evlcookie said:
Question for those who have been to any of the syd/brisgaf meetups. Did anyone actually make any real life friends? A lame question i know, But i'm curious if anyone from bris actually hangs out from time to time since the meets or it's back to gaf business?

I like to think so, even though I've only met you guys once. Not friends in the way that other get togethers have occurred already, but more that other social events will most certainly occur and I enjoyed talking to everyone and look forward to the next.

Also, something for choc to think about: Education, including uni degrees, should be free for everyone.

Discuss.

legend166

Danoss said:
Damn, that was quick. I've gotta get a wriggle on and read that before the series comes out. I've got 8 days (though the footy is on for 3 of them).

I've been sick the last 2 days, so I've had a lot of time to read it. 78% through according to my Kindle.

justin.au

Mar said:
Also, something for choc to think about: Education, including uni degrees, should be free for everyone.

Discuss.
The system as it is, is basically perfect. HECS-HELP acts as a form of targeted taxation and the current CSP arrangements ensure the costs don't spiral out of control. I would like to see more tertiary funding to offset the sector's reliance on international students, but as far as paying for your degree goes, I think we've got it right in Australia.

Because, these days, who even thinks about the costs of a course when weighing up their options? I know it was the last thing on my mind.

Youth Allowance/some sort of student stipend is another issue, and I think there is a case to be made for making access to government payments easier. When people worry about the "costs" of uni, it isn't the course costs that concern them, it's the rent/books/travel, etc.

justin.au said:
I would like to see more tertiary funding to offset the sector's reliance on international students, but as far as paying for your degree goes, I think we've got it right in Australia..
My uni has shifted heavily towards research and taking advantage of the medical sector. All the focus is on getting government grants for stuff like carbon fibre wheels and pharmaceuticals. Training doctors and soon optometrists, veterinarians and pharmacists. Plenty of money out there for universities to chase.

When people worry about the "costs" of uni, it isn't the course costs that concern them, it's the rent/books/travel, etc.
Case in point: Claiming textbooks against your centrelink income. They fought tooth and nail to stop it before it finally was laid to rest this year. You need textbooks in order to study your degree which is the reason you get centrelink income, it should be claimed.

Shaneus

Lazy Saturday arvo = Golden Wok frozen dimmy in the microwave while catching up on Conan.

ps3_this_is_living.jpg

Fascinating random fact: Dim sims were actually invented/created right here in Australia!

Shaneus said:
Fascinating random fact: Dim sims were actually invented/created right here in Australia!
Yup, remember being told this fact as a kid at the local footy, the woman behind the counter told everyone who bought steamed dim sims that they were chinese footy pies. I think the thing I love most about them is the versatility. Taste fantastic steamed at the footy and make a great late afternoon snack deep frying them on a cold day.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Rezbit said:
South Melbourne Dim Sims are fucking ultimate.

I keep hearing this as i work in south melbourne but i don't like dim sims at all. I still might try one though from this special place.

justin.au

Whiskey, cricket, and the weekend. I refuse to believe that you can be happier than this.

Damn MHuss just went out. I guess I could be happier :( Maybe a beer might cheer me up.

justin.au said:
Whiskey, cricket, and the weekend. I refuse to believe that you can be happier than this.

Damn MHuss just went out. I guess I could be happier :( Maybe a beer might cheer me up.
Scotch! Also the cricket has been pretty mediocre.

Edit: 100 up for Clarke, was worried he didn't have enough time to get it done.

justin.au

The way Clarke consolidates his slow start is different to many other batsmen. You don't really notice it most of the time (today he did hit a lot of boundaries though). He is a good batsman and I hope he can find and keep good form for the next few tours so the team doesn't fall apart.

Good knock today though, really held it together. (Punter was unlucky though, Watto needs to learn how to call runs).

justin.au said:
The way Clarke consolidates his slow start is different to many other batsmen. You don't really notice it most of the time (today he did hit a lot of boundaries though). He is a good batsman and I hope he can find and keep good form for the next few tours so the team doesn't fall apart.

Good knock today though, really held it together. (Punter was unlucky though, Watto needs to learn how to call runs).
Watto can plunder runs, he don't care about anyone else. If it was up to him it would be stand and deliver, none of this running down the wicket caper.

Captains knock from Clarke today gives us a reasonable total. That 31 off the last 2 overs will be a huge psychological impact on Bang, if they kept the total to 240 odd they might have felt like they were in the mix.

justin.au

Good stuff from Johnson as well. I don't think we can rely on him to deliver every time, but if he comes in past the 45th over, he generally adds a few valuable runs to the total.

I actually don't think our ODI team is in bad shape, (not the best in the world, but around the top), it's our Test team that worries me. On a deck that doesn't play perfectly into the hands of our bowlers we're generally in strife.

legend166

Mar said:

Discuss.

Disagree, wholeheartedly.

Agree with Justin, the system is very good as it is.

And if anything, Youth Allowance is way too generous in the amount of people it is given to. That's the example of middle class welfare that needs to be more vigorously means tested.

If it's supposed to go towards text books, the government should subsidise text books directly.

justin.au said:
I actually don't think our ODI team is in bad shape, (not the best in the world, but around the top), it's our Test team that worries me. On a deck that doesn't play perfectly into the hands of our bowlers we're generally in strife.
I would say bowling in general. We have enough great batsmen that we can make up a competitive total but our bowling is really hot and cold. Not to mention we need to find a proper slow bowling option (apart from David Hussey who has been surprisingly great).

mandiller

For the 3DS AusGAF crew - I've made two Miis you might like. They're a little rough, but the best I could make using the Mii Maker.

q8NU9.jpg

EAi6o.jpg

MdwRS.jpg

7rHPs.jpg

I'm looking forward to the BrisGAF meeting tomorrow. We'll get our 3D on.

Jintor

Fuckin' Borders going into administration means they won't accept gift cards

YOU SOLD ME A PROMISSORY NOTE, YOU JACKASSES

Jintor said:
Fuckin' Borders going into administration means they won't accept gift cards

YOU SOLD ME A PROMISSORY NOTE, YOU JACKASSES
They have been in trouble for a long time dude, as soon as I heard they were struggling to meet debts I used my card up. The one in Geelong had even been handing out 40% off vouchers as far back as 7 months ago. Loved hanging out at the Gloria Jeans upstairs with some mates just relaxing with a book or two, especially when they had the Penny Arcade books in. Rarely bought anything but at least Gloria Jeans made a tidy profit off us. If only Book Depository and OzGameShop had gift vouchers...

Jintor said:
I know I know, I should have gone in earlier.

[It's still totally bullshit though]
Any chance of a competing book store that would honour competitor coupons? Worth a shot if Dymocks or somewhere does that kind of thing. Also there will still be 9 stores in Australia so if you go in and annoying the crap out of someone maybe they will give you a free book because of the gift card. People working retail hate it when people annoy you but don't leave.

Dead Man

Fucking channel 10. Delayed qualy for the F1 for SA, live for everyone else. Fuckers. Not even a notice that it is delayed coverage wither, they are talking as if they are live. Only clue if you don't know is the lack of the love logo. Absolute fuckery.

Almost ruined myself by clicking in the F1 thread.

Fuck.

Australian TV sucks soooooo much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom