• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
So did Harvey Norman have anything to add to the Backlogathon? Still got the twitch in the back of my spine to run down and check if they have any bargains (even though I know they won't).
Didn't really check... TBH I actually start to feel guilty almost every time I think about buying a game. Well, not guilt... more, that thing the main protagonist in A Clockwork Orange gets when he's about to beat the shit out of someone or grab someone's tits.

Shaneus said:
Didn't really check... TBH I actually start to feel guilty almost every time I think about buying a game. Well, not guilt... more, that thing the main protagonist in A Clockwork Orange gets when he's about to beat the shit out of someone or grab someone's tits.
Like a spider biting the back of your head but every time you reach around to swat it away it disappears only to bite you again the next time you think bad thoughts?

Rezbit

reptilescorpio said:
Are you looking to pick up local or able to wait 2 weeks for an import? $39 at OzGameShop. It is a fantastic game, especially if you loved AC2. JB has it for $69 if you want to pick it up today.

Also I am having problems watching avi files on my PS3. Works fine most of the time with TV shows but the last 2 movies I've tried to watch haven't had the sound playing. Is the sound encoded to low or something? Works fine on the 360 but looks a lot worse than on the PS3.

Yeah think I will just go and snag it to play, while I have an xbox here!

Bernbaum

Well BrisGAF 3DS was the quietest one yet and the Mana Bar (at least now) seems pretty flat on a Sunday afternoon. Thanks heaps to those who attended! - weekend afternoons are a precious commodity and I think we'll stick to mid-week after work hours if we have another one.

Nothing hurts more than asking someone to play SSFIV and hear them say "Oh, don't worry, I'm terrible at it" and then have them roundly hand you your own arse within seconds.

PC version of Bioshock 2 that comes with an awesome 96 page Art Book for $12 from Zavvi. Just want you to know that the artbook is great enough that I would pay $50 for it by itself. If you haven't played Bioshock 2 and have a capable PC you should definitely pick it up.

Just finished the Prologue again in The Witcher so I have a save file for TW2 in May. Game has held up fantastic. My Q6600 is holding it back a bit since the old engine only uses one core but certainly doesn't burn the eyes as much as I expected. No shit mountains here.

Bernbaum said:
Thanks for the heads up. I already have it on Steam but I'm all over that art book.
It is still my favourite art book, wish I could get a hold of the HL2 Raising The Bar or Uncharted 2 books at a reasonable price.

reptilescorpio said:
It is still my favourite art book, wish I could get a hold of the HL2 Raising The Bar or Uncharted 2 books at a reasonable price.

The Bioshock 2 artbook is great, and for that price it should be a no-brainer for anyone who doesn't have it/hasn't played it.

mandiller

Bernbaum said:
Well BrisGAF 3DS was the quietest one yet and the Mana Bar (at least now) seems pretty flat on a Sunday afternoon. Thanks heaps to those who attended! - weekend afternoons are a precious commodity and I think we'll stick to mid-week after work hours if we have another one.

Nothing hurts more than asking someone to play SSFIV and hear them say "Oh, don't worry, I'm terrible at it" and then have them roundly hand you your own arse within seconds.
It was good fun even if there were only five of us.

Oh and FYI button mashing counts as 'being terrible' :p

Bernbaum

reptilescorpio said:
I recently paid $100 for the Mass Effect 1 art book. It's a beautiful hardbound book that is as much a record of the evolution of that universe's aesthetic as it is a celebration of the final product's visual design. It's super rare to track down, but I don't regret the excessive amount I paid because I absolutely fucking love Mass Effect.

Jintor

Bioshock 2 is a pretty good game.

It doesn't have a good climax (well, mid-game climax) like Bioshock 1 has but I think it has some interesting things to say. And the plasmid/weapon dual wielding is a nice touch. Not like you're really playing Bioshock for the combat though.

Cheers for the heads up though. Been wanting that artbook for a while

Aon

It is really on par with raising the bar. The guys aren't afraid to just put hella words about what the hell is happening there. So good.
Much like Bioshock 2 itself. Gill Alexander, inexplicably older and harrowed Andrew Ryan, it's pretty damn good.

Bernbaum said:
I recently paid $100 for the Mass Effect 1 art book. It's a beautiful hardbound book that is as much a record of the evolution of that universe's aesthetic as it is a celebration of the final product's visual design. It's super rare to track down, but I don't regret the excessive amount I paid because I absolutely fucking love Mass Effect.
That book would be totally worth it. Best part of ME is the universe they created and the amazing artwork. Kind of thing I wouldn't mind leaving around for non-gamers to look at.

Shaneus said:
What's the game itself like?
8/10. Combat is sublime, story is good (Minerva's Den DLC is supposed to be fantastic), multiplayer surprisingly good, fairly lengthy playtime. Kind of like a Doom approach to Bioshock.

Jintor said:
Cheers for the heads up though. Been wanting that artbook for a while
Just so I don't get hung and quartered later this ISN"T the super duper version of the artbook. This version is 96 pages compared to 130 pages and is the size of a dvd since it is sloted in next to the DVD packaging of the game. Here is a picture showing the relative size.

Playasia has the PS3 CE edition with the full size artbook (along with record and posters) for $40 but I'm not sure if it being the Asian version would mean Asian writing on the book. Edit: Also postage is $50!
This is what is included.
pa.172380.14.jpg

I'm still very happy with the Rapture edition artbook, especially at that price.

Jintor

Ah dicks, I already put the order in.

Ah well.

I really wish developer stores would just sell their goddamn artbooks right from the site.

Jintor said:
Ah dicks, I already put the order in.

Ah well.

I really wish developer stores would just sell their goddamn artbooks right from the site.
I had thought of buying the Play Asia CE but I don't want to play it on PS3, I already own it on PC and borrowed a friends copy to try on 360. $12 for an awesome artbook is a good deal but $40+50 postage might be pushing it (since I already waste an awful amount of money). Better to keep saving for the Uncharted 2 art book.

Here is a youtube unboxing of the Rapture edition. The artbook is still a good size and hard back. Much better than the PSP ones I've been getting lately.

Here is a youtube of the CE unboxing at 2K. Wish they bundled better posters with it. The interwebs has much better ones available.

Here is a pretty awesome looking litho available for sale. $20 but not sure about postage.

Edit: Wow, just checked and postage from that CE from Play Asia is a measly $50. I remember now why I buy from sites that do free postage.

Jintor

Bioshock's climax moment is arguably about halfway through it, followed by a long period of killing things and collecting garbage and then some shitty-ass boss fight masquerading as an actual climax

Deeku

Are the Mass Effect novels worth reading?

I just finished ME2 and kinda feel like nerding out on the expanded universe stuff.

I dunno about the books but I recommend the DLC packs if you havent played them. They are all pretty neat.

Kasumi's Stolen Memory - kinda like Ocean's Eleven
Overlord - sort of like Lawnmower Man
Lair of the Shadow Broker - has shades of The Fifth Element
Arrival - didn't really remind me of any movie but you get to spend more time with your character shooting hoards of identical dudes

I'm really sorry that I wasn't able to come to the meetup, fellow BrisGAFians. Like I said, I was working yesterday and got stuck here 'till late. It really sucks because this was the best chance I had at attending. I don't work in the city and live out in the middle of nowhere, so getting to a meetup during the week is going to be tough.

Maybe next time :(

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Train girl was back in her original position today but she was wearing makeup :/

Not a huge fan of makeup. Always looks odd.

So first day back in melbourne has been good so far D:

I also played a lot of shooting bad guys in the face over the weekend. For some reason that's all i wanted to do after i got my steam account back. Blops, BC2 MP and TF2 were my main gaming choices, BC2 i think got most play time out of the three.

For some reason i also told myself not to buy any new games (apart from portal 2 i guess) until i upgrade my PC in june. Let's see how long that lasts.

Bernbaum said:

Thanks for organizing the meetup, was good fun.
Look forward to the next one when it comes along.

Stackboy

Can't wait for Portal 2 next week. Perfect timing, just before the easter break.

Curious to see who gets announced for Splendour this Wednesday, won't be going as I just can't stand most festival crowds these days, but if Bon Iver gets announced, I daresay I will travel to Sydney or Melbourne for a sideshow.

Aon

commanderdeek said:
Are the Mass Effect novels worth reading?

I just finished ME2 and kinda feel like nerding out on the expanded universe stuff.

I've read two of the expanded novel things. The meat of the first one isn't terribly good, but it does have a really nice opening which expands on the First Contact War, which is one of the cooler parts of the fiction. The second book is perhaps a tad better written, although the plot's main meat is dull as sin. Again the most interesting bit is when the author goes on a long tangent describing day to day life aboard the Migrant Fleet.

Both are pretty quick to get through though, so it's not like you'll have to spend too long with the less inspiring bits of the books.

legend166

Dropped a truth bomb.

I like the NBA too. But the last round of the Masters when 6-7 guys are in contention, including 3 Australians and Tiger Woods is great to watch.

giri

Choc said:
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE LEGEND
Probably nothing? i don't plan to go running to the NBA thread, and i can respect that people have different values over what they find entertaining as a spectator.

I personally, can't stand watching golf.

legend166

choc is a drama queen.

On another note, no more animated gifs for avatars.

Out of all the changes they've made her over the last year or so, I mind this one the least. Honestly, there were so many obnoxious gifs people used as avatars. This means I'll never have to see that swirling tongue again.

legend166 said:
Thank God for that. Who wants to download a 2MB avatar just to see some stupid scene from a movie you haven't cared about for years?

I turned off the avatar thing in the settings but it doesn't work for externally-linked ones.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
choc is a drama queen.

Out of all the changes they've made her over the last year or so, I mind this one the least. Honestly, there were so many obnoxious gifs people used as avatars. This means I'll never have to see that swirling tongue again.

and when i mention cars vs cyclists you had the same reaction ? :p

Shaneus

evlcookie said:
What? No more animated gifs for avatars on gaf?

What about mine :(
Just put it at the top of every post you make. Like with a macro or something.

They can't do anything 'bout that!

Edit: Also means that Gaz & co. won't be able to have rotating images. Not knowing whether I'd see Gaz in "like a boss" mode or Viva Pinata mode is going to throw me for six :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom