• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis_

evlcookie said:
Why is it so hard to get an appointment with a dermatologist, I need to go through a doctor first? Lame.

I should be able to call up and say you, me, 6pm tomorrow. Something like that anyway.

Gateway programs prevent over-use. I don't think it's a bad idea at all. >_>

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Nemesis556 said:
Gateway programs prevent over-use. I don't think it's a bad idea at all. >_>

I guess. I just can't be arsed going through a doc who will probably prescribe something and not let me through to the dermatologist. That's my paranoid parrot theory anyway.

Will see what he says when i actually go see one.

Side note. I've gone through my steam backlog and these are the games I want to try and play and at least finish (if they don't shit me to tears) within the next few months. Hopefully going to do 1 game a weekend at best, That's going to be my main focus.

Bioshock
Darksiders
Far Cry 2
Ghostbusters
Just cause 2
Kane & Lynch 2
Lost Planet
Mirrors Edge
NFS
Oddword - Strangers Wrath / Munch's Oddysee
Prince of Persia
Shank
The chronicles of riddick
Titan quest / Immortal Throne
Warhammer 40k
Zeno Clash

What should i start with this weekend?

legend166

Reposting this for a new page:

Hey smart people:

Say I've got two html pages. On one html I've got a list of contacts. On the other page, I want to be able to display the contact that is relevant to that page, taken from the contacts page.

Is it possible to do this with javascript? And even if the person visiting the second page never opens the first page?

legend166 said:
Say I've got two html pages. On one html I've got a list of contacts. On the other page, I want to be able to display the contact that is relevant to that page, taken from the contacts page.

Is it possible to do this with javascript? And even if the person visiting the second page never opens the first page?
It's possible if you scrape the screen, and the other page is on the same domain. Terribly unwieldy, though.

How is the contact page updated? If it comes from a database, why not have another page that only outputs JSON for your contacts page to read?

evlcookie said:
What should i start with this weekend?
Both Mirror's Edge and Prince of Persia are pretty short and enjoyable.

legend166

codswallop said:
It's possible if you scrape the screen, and the other page is on the same domain. Terribly unwieldy, though.

How is the contact page updated? If it comes from a database, why not have another page that only outputs JSON for your contacts page to read?

Both Mirror's Edge and Prince of Persia are pretty short and enjoyable.

At the minute, the contacts page is directly updated via html. I'm thinking of maybe changing it so it reads from an xml file, though.

All the pages are on the same domain.

legend166 said:
At the minute, the contacts page is directly updated via html. I'm thinking of maybe changing it so it reads from an xml file, though.

If you did it with XML you could use an XSLT to transform the XML into a pretty contacts page, so that makes more sense to me! You could possibly even get the people who do the updates to use Excel with XML, though I don't know what it'd to do the XML.

giri

legend166 said:

As cods said, it CAN be done. But it's very bothersome. You basically have to get jscript to open that file, read through it line by line till it finds the part you want, then print that.

It's always a little messy.

legend166

Ok, I'm going to spend the day figuring out how to display XML in an HTML web page.

I did this in uni, but that was at least 2 years ago and I've forgot. The only thing I remember is how to actually write the XML.

Shaneus

Planet_JASE said:
Ugh. My Operation Backlog has stalled. Work is taking up a lot of my time and my spare time is being taken up by organising buying a house. we're under contract and I'm now trying to organise what needs to be done in a fairly condensed time frame. We lose a week due to the Easter holidays. I'm finding the process far more stressful than I though I would and feel that I should be. My sleep has turned to shit and I'm constantly tired.

I haven't played games in almost two weeks. Sad panda.

Congratulations on your progress though, Shaneus.
Cheers! It's only one game, though :/

I'm going to start picking off games I *know* are relatively short. Probably Portal next, then the Kane & Lynch games. Then Mirror's Edge on easy (so I don't have to worry about combat). Pretty sure I can knock over two or three of those during the week and the rest over the weekend.

Just Cause 2 I'm not going to bother about plowing through... only because I know I *always* get distracted.

Shaneus

Stackboy said:
Just Cause 2 has some of the most wonderful distractions in any game (Saints Row 2 does this kind of thing really well too).
Oh, I agree. That's why I'm not going to concentrate on it... my backlog would be fucked. I think each of the K&L games are fairly short so I'm pretty sure they're next on the hitlist. Just Cause 2 is more for when I just want fun... it pretty much comes with that guarantee.

jambo

I need to put some more time in to JC2, I've done hardly any of the story and I really need to do some more exploring as well.

I've had some of the most fun just grappling around everywhere with the parachute open.

EDIT: I must have that Wii SNES controller, *checks points balance*

Fuck you Nintendo, fuck you :lol

Just Cause 2's story is shit and barely worth the price of admission.

Instead, just get your money's worth by grappling people to a plane or whatever.

jambo

The story is deliberately shit, but some of the missions are amazing. The one of the flying night club was epic, I felt like James Bond flying off at the end.

Clipper

elektrixx said:
That SNES controller on Club Nintendo is calling my name. I'm only 500 points away!
Oh wow. I didn't know they added it to the AU site... Now I want it too, but I just ordered the Game and Watch a few months ago and that means I only have 900 stars left (2100 to go).

This might be the first time I regret choosing to import the 3DS, heh. Hmm... I wonder if third party Wii games are going to count from now on too. I guess I can buy those locally for a while.

jambo said:
EDIT: I must have that Wii SNES controller, *checks points balance*

Fuck you Nintendo, fuck you :lol
Have you been logging in on your birthday to get the bonus 50 stars per year they give out? If not, you only have yourself to blame :D

Choc

Banned
Clipper said:
Oh wow. I didn't know they added it to the AU site... Now I want it too, but I just ordered the Game and Watch a few months ago and that means I only have 900 stars left (2100 to go).

This might be the first time I regret choosing to import the 3DS, heh. Hmm... I wonder if third party Wii games are going to count from now on too. I guess I can buy those locally for a while.

how many points is it

i'm probably one game from it :|

pilotwings :d

Stackboy

The story is rubbish, but it's hard to see through to it, when there are so many wonderful explosions going on. Or when you are plummeting back to earth.

And now, I'm going to have to play it some more.

Jintor

I like games with unique gaming experiences, and for some reason Just Cause 2 is the only game that has really managed to really replicate that feeling of being up in the mountains, wind whipping in your ears, snow half-blinding you as you sail down the side of a mountain

Shaneus

jambo said:
The story is deliberately shit, but some of the missions are amazing. The one of the flying night club was epic, I felt like James Bond flying off at the end.
I found that completely accidentally... I was cruising around in a jet and saw something in the distance. Flew up to it, jumped out of the plane into it and started shooting dudes, Bond-style. It's a bullshit amount of fun, that game.

I wonder if there's been a JC3 announcement...

r1chard

Shaneus said:
I found that completely accidentally... I was cruising around in a jet and saw something in the distance. Flew up to it, jumped out of the plane into it and started shooting dudes, Bond-style. It's a bullshit amount of fun, that game.
Oh yeah that place is freaking awesome.

The only real problem with the story is that because the awesome elements are introduced so early, it really has nowhere to go and even at the end
riding the nuclear missiles
isn't very exciting because you've already seen and done so much awesome stuff.

That said, if they slowly rolled out the awesome elements, it would likely be incredibly dull (unless the story were better).

jambo said:
If JC3 has multiplayer then I think it will be one of the best games of all time.
Saints Row 3 has multiplayer and one of the announcements seemed to indicate you could drive a tank out of a plane. I think that's enough to warrant a purchase.

Shaneus

I've just finished Red Faction Guerrilla and did finish Saints Row 2 without playing any other games. It's fair to say that now (and even moreso after seeing that awesome doco) that Volition now owns my soul. With SR3 and the new Red Faction (with Descenty bits!) on their way, I'm pretty excited.

I also have Freespace 2 which I'm yet to experience... yet to purchase, too.

Stackboy

Shaneus said:
I've just finished Red Faction Guerrilla and did finish Saints Row 2 without playing any other games. It's fair to say that now (and even moreso after seeing that awesome doco) that Volition now owns my soul. With SR3 and the new Red Faction (with Descenty bits!) on their way, I'm pretty excited.

I also have Freespace 2 which I'm yet to experience... yet to purchase, too.

Saints Row 2 bugged out on me on the tail end of the game. A location marker wouldn't activate for me. Might try it again.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
One SNES controller already ordered :)

Just passed 6000 news articles on Vooks, I've written about 4100 of them. ._.

r1chard

Stackboy said:
Hoping we get a JC3 announcement at E3. Timing is about right, it's been a while since JC2.
What's the wishlist for JC3?

Personally I'd love to see a built-in FPS mode. And more variation in the bases - more stuff to blow up (it's geting a little tedious just blowing up the same dozen objects).

Also, some way for the game to mark which bridges have been limbo'ed. I've completely lost track.

But really, just MOAR STUFF :)

Except multiplayer - especially if it's at the expense of other things.

Edit: heh - thread.

Deeku

VOOK said:
One SNES controller already ordered :)

Just passed 6000 news articles on Vooks, I've written about 4100 of them. ._.
Don't you already have one from club nintendo japan? It's the same one right?

Frawdder

This is hilarious:

4 days of 2K Games Sales [on Steam]

It's not much of a sale when your games already start at the $80-90 point. And all your achieving is bringing the price down to just under the normal US store price.

jambo

VOOK said:
Well technically that's a Super Famicon one...

W7ayq.jpg

Nerd alert!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom