• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

legend166 said:
sitting on your butt 8 hours a day does wonder for putting on weight
You're telling me. As a stay-at-home carer, I don't get to actually go out often, which severely limits my ability to get exercise. I quit smoking 18 months ago before going into the caring role and piled on the weight.

It's pretty disheartening and hard to find the motivation to do anything about it. I can probably squeeze in a brief walk each day, but that's about it. Meanwhile, my weight continues to gradually increase.

Agyar

Before I forget, I was speaking to Mandiller at BrisGAF 3DS about doing a BrisGAF board games afternoon when I'm back. I have a usual board gaming group (which includes Bernbaum) but I figure it might be a good opportunity to run an afternoon for BrisGAFfers to come along and play some board games, even if they're new to the whole thing.

New Euro board games have a lot in common with video games and it's a fun, social way to get your gaming fix without being glued to a TV. Also Bernbaum has a game about collecting wine, so it's cultural and mature.

Happy to take suggestions for a time and venue but I thought I'd get the ball rolling early since this type of thing usually lasts a whole afternoon.

legend166

My secret to weight lose beyond cutting down my soft drink intake is an exercise bike.

It's seriously the easiest form of exercise in terms of what's actually required to get started. At least, for me it is. And that's always been my problem. Not the actual exercise. But actually starting to do it.

We've got it set up in our back room, where's there's a TV. I don't have to get dressed in anything special, I don't even put shoes on. I wake up at 7:05 and by 7:10 I'm exercising. I don't even do much. 20-30 minutes a day/4 times a week.

Agyar said:
Before I forget, I was speaking to Mandiller at BrisGAF 3DS about doing a BrisGAF board games afternoon when I'm back. I have a usual board gaming group (which includes Bernbaum) but I figure it might be a good opportunity to run an afternoon for BrisGAFfers to come along and play some board games, even if they're new to the whole thing.

New Euro board games have a lot in common with video games and it's a fun, social way to get your gaming fix without being glued to a TV. Also Bernbaum has a game about collecting wine, so it's cultural and mature.

Happy to take suggestions for a time and venue but I thought I'd get the ball rolling early since this type of thing usually lasts a whole afternoon.

Sounds awesome, id be up for that.
Not sure what your usual venue is, im assuming city/after work afternoon?

Shadowlounge up near friday's/jade buddah would be a pretty good spot imho. Its very relaxed, could play over a few afternoon beers. Only thing i dont know is how they would be about us taking board games in. Figure it would be ok though.

MrSerrels

legend166 said:
I've lost 5kg over the last 2-3 months. Very happy.

I'm now 80kg, which is what I had been the last 4/5 years before starting work and putting on 5kg (sitting on your butt 8 hours a day does wonder for putting on weight).

My goal is to get down to 75kg, then back up to 80kg via weights.

Congrats man. What sort of exercise you doing?

I'm about 5"8 and I weighed 80kg, down at 74 now. Looking to get to 70.

I quit the gym though - joined a Rock Climbing gym, bizarrely, and I absolutely love it.

EDIT: didn't see the above post!

Agyar

Marshmellow said:
Sounds awesome, id be up for that.
Not sure what your usual venue is, im assuming city/after work afternoon?

Shadowlounge up near friday's/jade buddah would be a pretty good spot imho. Its very relaxed, could play over a few afternoon beers. Only thing i dont know is how they would be about us taking board games in. Figure it would be ok though.

Our usual hangout is a Greek club in West End (no booze but cheap food and coffee, plus big tables and plenty of space). Usually meet on Sunday afternoons, as it's nice to dedicate a good stretch of time to get a few different games in.

Edit: That said, for a BrisGAF board games thing, we could do somewhere different and a different time. There's also the King George Square games nights which provide tables and games in KGS on the last Thursday of every month from 5 to 9pm.

Bernbaum

legend166 said:

I'm now 80kg, which is what I had been the last 4/5 years before starting work and putting on 5kg (sitting on your butt 8 hours a day does wonder for putting on weight).

I would recommend working on weights now. You’ll have more muscle tissue which will burn more fat when you do cardio and you’ll tone quicker. You’ll miss out on that golden moment of looking at the scales and seeing a an excitingly low number, but you’ll reach the long-term goal quicker. My original goal was to get down to 85 kg (which correlated to the upper margin of those bullshit inaccurate BMI numbers that no-one should trust) and then bulk up, but my PT put me onto weights straight away when I started seriously 8 months ago. I’ve come down from 107, now at 93 with a target of 90 revised upwards from the original target of 85 since deciding that muscle gain is one of my goals. I am 6’3” (190cm). Weight loss is most noticeable about the waist, neck and face and it’s just a few little fiddly bits around the edges that I need to work on and then anything after that is a bonus.

No matter how radcore you go at the gym, at the end of the day it still pretty much comes down to a sensible diet.

Jintor

I should really weigh myself. I've been eating healthier the last few months but I don't know if it's making a difference or not.

r1chard

legend166 said:

Congrats!

Intersting - you've got the same weight loss goal as me, though I've only managed to drop 4kg over about the same period of time (just through the couch to 5k running program).

I'm hoping lose the other 6kg before the end of the year :)

Gonna be hard to get up the motivation to go out running in the morning these days though.

Agyar said:
Our usual hangout is a Greek club in West End (no booze but cheap food and coffee, plus big tables and plenty of space). Usually meet on Sunday afternoons, as it's nice to dedicate a good stretch of time to get a few different games in.

Cool coffee and gaming, "mental picture of many old dudes in park playing chess comes to mind"

sounds good though

Choc

Banned
Australians especially Sydney people really are stupid

people bitching like crazy at the new government over a major transport delay this morning

yeah, in 2 weeks you can fix everything

gooodness me

Fusebox

Banned
Choc said:

people bitching like crazy at the new government over a major transport delay this morning

gooodness me

I saw it was a massive fuckeroo at my station this morning so I just turned around and went home. :p

legend166

r1chard said:
Congrats!

Intersting - you've got the same weight loss goal as me, though I've only managed to drop 4kg over about the same period of time (just through the couch to 5k running program).

I'm hoping lose the other 6kg before the end of the year :)

Gonna be hard to get up the motivation to go out running in the morning these days though.

I tried couch to 5k. Got through about 3 weeks I think. I kept finding too many excuses not to do it, since I'd run around a park across the road. If it rained just a little I'd tell myself the ground was too wet to run on.

legend166

Bernbaum said:
I would recommend working on weights now. You’ll have more muscle tissue which will burn more fat when you do cardio and you’ll tone quicker. You’ll miss out on that golden moment of looking at the scales and seeing a an excitingly low number, but you’ll reach the long-term goal quicker. My original goal was to get down to 85 kg (which correlated to the upper margin of those bullshit inaccurate BMI numbers that no-one should trust) and then bulk up, but my PT put me onto weights straight away when I started seriously 8 months ago. I’ve come down from 107, now at 93 with a target of 90 revised upwards from the original target of 85 since deciding that muscle gain is one of my goals. I am 6’3” (190cm). Weight loss is most noticeable about the waist, neck and face and it’s just a few little fiddly bits around the edges that I need to work on and then anything after that is a bonus.

No matter how radcore you go at the gym, at the end of the day it still pretty much comes down to a sensible diet.

Thanks for the advice.

Motivating myself to do weights is so much harder than jumping on the bike. I'm 180cm, so I think 80kg with some muscle tone is a good weight to be. At the moment I've got a beer gut. Which is odd, because I don't drink beer, haha. I think it's the sugar though. From what I've read, that's where sugar goes, to the lower stomach.

My real goal is to get fit enough to play Aussie rules again next season.

Clipper

Oh my... All my avatars just switched off. That means the "Show Avatars" option is finally working the way it is meant to.

The end of external avatars might be upon us already, which would be a shock... If so, goodbye marching Rimmer munchkin...
Scribblenauts_Rimmer_fixed.gif

Dead Man

There go the animated avatars.... RIP. Gazatars to the rescue.

You guys are all making me sound like a lard arse, 5'10' and 108kgs. In my defence, I was 85kgs even when I was in the army and fit as a motherfucker. Still, I now wear size 36 jeans, from the 32's I used to wear. I really need to fix that shit.

Danoss

Dead Man said:
You guys are all making me sound like a lard arse, 5'10' and 108kgs. In my defence, I was 85kgs even when I was in the army and fit as a motherfucker. Still, I now wear size 36 jeans, from the 32's I used to wear. I really need to fix that shit.
You missed my post then, not uncommon around these parts.

I'm 5'9" and 110kgs. I used to be a mad skinny bloke not too long ago, no longer. I won't be saying what size jeans I wear.

I'm not fat - gravity just affects me more than most people.

I've still got about 5kg to go before I get back to where I'd like to be. Towards the middle of last year I think I reached 88kg, am now down to 75 and I think I'd like to be about 70. Once I can comfortably wear my size 34jeans (with some room to spare) I'll be happy. I really need to keep my motivation up coming into the wintery seasons.

Choc said:
Not with that attitude, you negative Nancy.

;)

Dead Man

Danoss said:
You missed my post then, not uncommon around these parts.

I'm 5'9" and 110kgs. I used to be a mad skinny bloke not too long ago, no longer. I won't be saying what size jeans I wear.
*brofist*

Yagharek

Choc said:

gooodness me

just to put this in context, NSW has a new goverment

So I just called Nintendo about the 3DS, have to send it in for repair. She let me know that if the issue is not considered a manufactures fault then I could occur a repair fee between $35 and $270...If they don't class broken camera's as a manufacturers fault I'm going to hit the roof.

On other news, any Central Coasters going to do the Bay to Bay run? It's 12km. I have started training specifically for it (I usually do weights and high intensity cardio), and after my 9km run last night my knees are sore as hell.

Man, I got an email today about the SNES controller @ Club Nintendo. Now its already gone (apparently?) and I now learn its been 'known' for a few days now.

;( I missed the news!

Pretty frick'n pointless sending me an email today about it if you were gonna be out of stock a few hours later Nintendo Aus. :|

Clipper

Danoss said:
It also seems ALL gifs are currently banned, not just avatars.
You mean not just animated ones? I suppose that makes it easier for them. At least we have .png as an option for the images when we want transparency.

Danoss

Clipper said:
You mean not just animated ones? I suppose that makes it easier for them. At least we have .png as an option for the images when we want transparency.
Nah, seems it was only temporary/a bug. I just tested it again in this post and it came up.

mandiller

Hey, Gaz, I'm loving the avatars you're making. If you've got the time can you do some sort of TinTin avatar for me? TinTin with a gun or a notebook or something else interesting.

@Agyar, I'm certainly up for the board game afternoon. I've never been to the Greek club in West End but it sounds good to me. Big tables are very important.

Fuck it. If you wanna do a Duchovny in any role (Mulder or Hank Moody or general badassery) then could you do one for me? If not, that's perfectly fine. Or a Megadrive. Or Duchovny playing a Megadrive.

jambo

Gowans created a Release Date spreadsheet in Google Docs and then posted a link in the Gaming section. It only took like 5 minutes for lurkers to find it and vandalise it with 8=====D and "LOL" and "FAG" :lol

Locked down now, dem lurkers!

Dead Man

jambo said:
Gowans created a Release Date spreadsheet in Google Docs and then posted a link in the Gaming section. It only took like 5 minutes for lurkers to find it and vandalise it with 8=====D and "LOL" and "FAG" :lol

Locked down now, dem lurkers!
Internet arsehole theory wins again.

Shaneus

Danoss said:
http://k.min.us/ik0RES.png[IMG]

It also seems [B]ALL[/B] gifs are currently banned, not just avatars.[/QUOTE]
I'm glad you got it... at least, I think you did. It's an inanimate carbon rod, because you can't have animated avatars! Woo!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Rezbit said:
Ah...it's with Tiger. Still not worth it, and don't worry, they will grab more of your cash some other way.

eh, I fly with them all the time. works fine for me, I only fly to melb for short trips 4 - 7 days, so can fit everything into a backpack, know to check in online before I go to the airport.

just dont be stupid and it's cheap

Does having C-Gear communications in Pokemon turned on all day drain anyone else's 3DS batteries like a bitch? I played like 20 minutes of White this morning on full battery, closed the lid and maybe 11 hours later, I get a red flashing low battery light when I go to play on my way home.

Does C-Gear do anything useful? Also, does Streetpass still do its thing when you're in DS mode? Maybe they're both searching simultaneously.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Does having C-Gear communications in Pokemon turned on all day drain anyone else's 3DS batteries like a bitch? I played like 20 minutes of White this morning on full battery, closed the lid and maybe 11 hours later, I get a red flashing low battery light when I go to play on my way home.

Does C-Gear do anything useful? Also, does Streetpass still do its thing when you're in DS mode? Maybe they're both searching simultaneously.

C-Gear is like StreetPass lite. It only looks for Pokemon B/W though.

StreetPass doesn't work in DS mode.

VOOK said:
C-Gear is like StreetPass lite. It only looks for Pokemon B/W though.

StreetPass doesn't work in DS mode.
So basically, as a grown-ass man living in Australia, it's completely useless. Got it.

Also, thanks for the heads up about Streetpass and DS mode.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
viciouskillersquirrel said:
So basically, as a grown-ass man living in Australia, it's completely useless. Got it.

Also, thanks for the heads up about Streetpass and DS mode.

You're much better off idling with StreetPass, least you might find someone and get something useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom