• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

I see BioShock 2 is on special for $12.49 and I'm wondering if I should buy it. I don't know why, I haven't even finished the first one.

Stackboy

Be a man and finish the first one. One of my fave games of all time. Buy the second one, have 6 months off after finishing the first and play the sequel. By then, Bioshock Infinite should be just around the corner.

I'm yet to play the second myself, still making my way through ACII.

Stackboy said:
Buy the second one, have 6 months off after finishing the first and play the sequel.
Don't make this mistake unless the special is incredibly special. Don't buy games just because they're cheap if you're not planning on playing them shortly after you get them. If they're old and are discounted, they'll probably be discounted again or drop in price soon anyway.

This is my new approach with Operation Backlog. Along with the existing finish two/buy one rule that's still in place. I do need to finish two more before allowing myself to buy another right now though... and Portal 2 is out soon. Must. Resist.

Edit: The only time this doesn't really work is if something goes out of print.

Danoss

Stackboy said:
Be a man and finish the first one.
Oh, I intend to, I've just had a couple of attempts that have been halted. The first time was halted by a HDD death; the second time I forgot to back up my saved game file before a PC upgrade.

codswallop said:
Don't make this mistake unless the special is incredibly special. Don't buy games just because they're cheap if you're not planning on playing them shortly after you get them. If they're old and are discounted, they'll probably be discounted again or drop in price soon anyway.
I like your thinking. Steam specials are just incredible hard to resist. I do want to finish The Witcher before #2 comes out, best to focus on that I think.

Shaneus

codswallop said:

This is my new approach with Operation Backlog. Along with the existing finish two/buy one rule that's still in place. I do need to finish two more before allowing myself to buy another right now though... and Portal 2 is out soon. Must. Resist.

Edit: The only time this doesn't really work is if something goes out of print.
^^ Agreed. Though I *have* bought NBA2k11 (which, by my logic doesn't really get put on the backlog as it's a sports game and really is made for one or two-match sessions and doesn't have a story) and Bioshock 2 with the booklet because it was ridiculously cheap from the UK.

Not being able to play the first K&L properly has thrown me a little bit as I knew it was a short game, but I'll find something else that's equally as short (like an indie game, perhaps) so I can knock it over quickly. Once I've hit about 5 or 6 games I'll start playing things to finish and enjoy them rather than just so I can say that they're out of the way.

Shaneus

You'd need to get it gifted. It's the same amount of discount but only from our higher price. Have a hunt around for the Steam gifting thread if you're super keen.

Danoss

Danoss said:
I will give that batch file a crack and see how it goes. I'll test it on Magicka since Frey's wouldn't let it through.
Used it as promised. Steam is much quicker to realise it can't connect to a server if none of the Aussie servers have the file (almost instant); Frey's can take minutes before it just times out.

Very impressed.

Danoss

markot said:
Bioshock is 5 bucks, 2 is 12.49 >.<
Yeah, didn't realise 2K thought they would give us the privilege of paying more than double what they're charging every other region for BioShock 2 (yet the original BioShock price is correct). Interest in buying now: absolute zero.

Shaneus

Danoss said:
Yeah, didn't realise 2K thought they would give us the privilege of paying more than double what they're charging every other region for BioShock 2 (yet the original BioShock price is correct). Interest in buying now: absolute zero.
If it helps (or doesn't) for that exact same price you can (or could) buy it from Zavvi and get a box with that nifty-looking art book.

kase23

Hey guys
after 8 months of waiting I finally got my account activated.
Thought id make my first post here to pay my respects to my favourite ongoing thread on GAF :D

kase23 said:
Hey guys
Thought id make my first post here to pay my respects to my favourite ongoing thread on GAF :D

Hello and welcome.
Where abouts in Aus do you reside?

jambo

kase23 said:
Hey guys

You have chosen, or been chosen, to visit one of our finest remaining online message boards. I thought so much of AusGAF that I elected to establish a base here, with bandwidth thoughtfully provided by our benefactors.

And so, whether you are here to post, or simply passing through on your journey to URLs unknown... Welcome. Welcome to the forums.

markot

Banned
codswallop said:
Anyone played Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes? Just got a free copy of it for 360 and hear it's pretty good.
Stupid ubi hates PC >_< But I got it on DS.... its so hard....

But I would double dip in an instant twas it on steam! Just saying >.>

kase23

Thanks for the warm welcomes :D
Ive been following AusGaf on and off since the original thead so it feels slighty odd to have a voice here now, soon as i overcome that ill post something more meaningful :p
Marshmellow said:
Hello and welcome.
Where abouts in Aus do you reside?
Melbourne born and raised , PC gamer primarily these days but i love my handhelds.

This week has been fucked (work-wise) :(

Tonight will be spent drinking Laphroaig and watching the latest Chuck and then possibly some episodes of The Wire.

I don't have the energy for video games! :lol

BanShunsaku said:
Tonight will be spent drinking Laphroaig and watching the latest Chuck and then possibly some episodes of The Wire.
No spoilers, but I enjoyed the most recent Chuck a lot more than probably the last 6-10 episodes. Not sure if it was actually better or I just enjoyed it more. Found it's been treading water a lot this season, particularly in the second half of the season where they got in trouble due to the extra episodes being ordered.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
codswallop said:
No spoilers, but I enjoyed the most recent Chuck a lot more than probably the last 6-10 episodes. Not sure if it was actually better or I just enjoyed it more. Found it's been treading water a lot this season, particularly in the second half of the season where they got in trouble due to the extra episodes being ordered.

I need to watch chuck tonight or maybe i will save it for the weekend. It was my favourite show on at the moment but i'm starting to lose interest in it, It just doesn't excite me like it used to.

I would be happy if they didn't get another season but i would be pissed if they ended it on a cliffhanger. Fuck cliffhangers in tv shows, I want closure dammit.

Shaneus

I don't think I've watched Chuck at all this season... for some reason I just didn't feel like going back to it after the last season. TV shows that go for that long just feel like too much of an investment to me... hence why, other than Conan, I'll only tend to watch (with any regularity) shows like Community and Party Down that only go for 20 minutes or so.

Bernbaum said:
“G’day Simon, did you win that cricket game you mentioned three months ago?”

“Er, Hello, um... mate. Er, yes? I think...”

Hours of entertainment.

I'm not having a go at you with this comment but isn't what you're doing called "being a half decent human being"? Remembering people's names and things about them just seems like something everyone should do. but we don't, because we like to be insular and only care about ourselves and the small circle of people that we hold dear. Depending on what's going on in my life I traverse the range of "half decent human being" and "prick". I'd like to always care about everyone else as much as I do about my own life. It's hard work (at times).

codswallop said:
Even though I've said that I need to reduce my backlog the only reason I have been buying cheap games is because I'm about to be in dept for the next 30 years.

My way to combat my Backlog is to buy a house so that I can no longer buys games and have to content myself with what I've got. It makes sense.

kase23 said:
Hey guys
Welcome, kase! It's always good to see new people in here.

kase23 said:
PC gamer primarily these days but i love my handhelds.
Good answer. They lynch people around here for not playing PC Games. Like me. I can't stop playing PC Games. Luvem luvem luvem LUVEM.

Stop looking at me like that.

Aon said:
I just realised that Jase is not Kase.

This is a disaster.

Evacuate the facility, Walrus Overload Immanent

Just threw another 300 dollars into my Tyranids for Warhammer 40k. Hopefully gets delivered before my games on Friday!

Aon said:
I just realised that Jase is not Kase.

This is a disaster.

Who for? You, me or kase? Or all three of us as a combined entity?

I need to know if my life is in danger. I've signed contracts, man.

CONTRACTS!

Gazunta

Thanks guys, took a bit of a thumping on some other forums today, so nice to hear kind words about the comics :p (They were totally correct in pretty much all their comments, but were looking at 2 year old comics >< )

I'll do another Gazatar after work finishes. Huzzah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom