• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I must be the only person who can't stand handheld gaming and that goes for the iPhone as well. I've played a few games, things like minigore a year or so ago and that fruit ninja thing by halfbrick. They are a time waster while you're on the toilet but apart from that they aren't enjoyable at all.

tldr i hate gaming i guess :lol

Mar

Why am I the only person saying Mirror's Edge on the iPhone? It's the best damn game I've played on the platform.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Mar said:
Why am I the only person saying Mirror's Edge on the iPhone? It's the best damn game I've played on the platform.

iPad version > iPhone

evlcookie said:
It's nintendo event thingy time isn't it? OH YEA GET HYPED!
It's not like, for another hour and I'm not expecting anything too amazing. Launch date, price, lineup and some trailers for stuff we already know about.

Unless there's a Zelda trailer. In which case, I will rage since I am at work and will not get home until 7pm tonight.

VOOK

viciouskillersquirrel said:
It's not like, for another hour and I'm not expecting anything too amazing. Launch date, price, lineup and some trailers for stuff we already know about.

Unless there's a Zelda trailer. In which case, I will rage since I am at work and will not get home until 7pm tonight.

You'd be wrong.

Agyar

So basically they'll "announce" the 3DS and how it comes in whatever colour, show off some new Mario and/or Zelda game then everyone jizzes themselves and praises Nintendo for being the last bastion of innovation in video gaming.

Clipper

Woo! GAF's back :)

Well, I can't say I was surprised by the 3DS announcements, except for the fact that the 3DS is now a pedometer too. I think that really has a chance of getting people to take their 3DS with them, which would be great for tag mode.

VOOK

UxQik.jpg

Goddamn 3DS... look what you did to my site!

Rezbit

So what do we think the 3DS price is going to be? 25,000 yen meltdowns currently happening in the main threads. I really hope it's not $400, although the DS XL thing still being $300 doesn't give me any hope.

VOOK

Rezbit said:
So what do we think the 3DS price is going to be? 25,000 yen meltdowns currently happening in the main threads. I really hope it's not $400, although the DS XL thing still being $300 doesn't give me any hope.

25,000 Yen is $300 AU, then Yen is in the Shitter - it's not good to 1=1 the currencies.

Wait for the EU price then we'll talk.

VOOK

The gap between the DSi price now and the 3DS's future price (in Japan) makes me think $399.95 isn't entirely out of the question.

I'm importing.

*Shrug* I think we'll be waiting a long time for details - the other Nintendo branches don't like giving out any info months in advance like Nintendo Japan.

Deeku

I'll definitely be importing.

Also, anyone know what the turnaround is for hard drive replacement from Apple? My mbp died today:(

hamchan

For comparison the PSP launched at $250 USD and $400 AUD back in 2005. Now with inflation and our stronger dollar who knows what price the 3DS will launch at.

Bernbaum

Also, I'm still overseas in a different timezone and got woken up by a text from a very excited Vook keen to share the 3DS news and lament his woes with overwhelming traffic.

Thanks bud :p

Clipper

I really hope that Nintendo Australia revises their typical pricing scheme. Predictions seem to be saying that the Aussie dollar will be well on the opposite side of parity with the US dollar by March so hopefully we finally get a price that reflects that.

hirokazu

commanderdeek said:
I'll definitely be importing.

Also, anyone know what the turnaround is for hard drive replacement from Apple? My mbp died today:(
Eh, it's faster and probably a shitton cheaper to buy your own hard drive and replace it yourself or get someone to replace it for you.

hirokazu

I'm importing.
Region locked!

Hah, did you think Nintendo was going to let you get away with buying it cheaper than the price they dictate for your region?!

Get back on your knees and bend over coz they're coming back for more!

Nemesis_

I suppose if I trade in my old DS Lite it'll lower the price.

I was kind of hoping for $299.95, but so many people seem to think that it will be $399.95, which is more expensive than a Wii or 360 Arcade. :lol

Sigh. I'll lap it up anyway.

hirokazu said:
Region locked!

Hah, did you think Nintendo was going to let you get away with buying it cheaper than the price they dictate for your region?!

Get back on your knees and bend over coz they're coming back for more!
D'you think I give a fug about Aussie region exclusives? Half my games are imported from the US. Heck, both my Wii and my GBA SP+ arrived at my house via post.

NAL can lick my nuts.

Bernbaum said:
Also, I'm still overseas in a different timezone and got woken up by a text from a very excited Vook keen to share the 3DS news and lament his woes with overwhelming traffic.

Thanks bud :p
Actually, I think that was me. I'd come back from a meeting at work, GAF had crashed, Andriasang was unreachable, none of the other sites were providing good info and I wanted to complain to someone.

There were three contacts in my phone who might possibly be interested in the news, including you, so I text messaged as a way of assauging my Gen Y communication withdrawal.

Bernbaum

Gazunta said:
Bern, when are you getting back? I want to start the BrisGAF fun train rolling choo choooooo
Octoberish. Choo choo!

Actually, I think that was me. I'd come back from a meeting at work, GAF had crashed, Andriasang was unreachable, none of the other sites were providing good info and I wanted to complain to someone.

There were three contacts in my phone who might possibly be interested in the news, including you, so I text messaged as a way of assauging my Gen Y communication withdrawal.
Hilarious! (Sorry Vook).

Agyar said:
Manabar this time? Talk to Yug and get burger vouchers? Drink beer and play VIDEO GAMES?
YES.

Unless they require driving, shooting in 3D space or learning combos.... in which case, I'll probably suck.

EDIT: I mean it. My girlfriend beat me at Sega Rally when we went to a Timezone one time. This was on my birthday.

jambo

Clipper said:
I really hope that Nintendo Australia revises their typical pricing scheme. Predictions seem to be saying that the Aussie dollar will be well on the opposite side of parity with the US dollar by March so hopefully we finally get a price that reflects that.
They'll gouge us as usual.

Clipper

jambo said:
They'll gouge us as usual.
I'm not so sure. Back at the DS and Wii launches, the dollar was crap. I actually saved money by not importing the Wii (by a combination of a good launch deal and so on). If the predictions hold true and the Aussie Dollar is $1.10US at the time of the Wii launch, I doubt they can justify the same markup rate they've used previously. Of course, they don't need to justify it, they can do whatever they want, but I can dream...

I'll also say that while I like the idea of the dock, that's not such a good thing for importing. All Nintendo consoles I have ever bought have been single voltage, and that means I probably have to buy a transformer to charge the US 3DS as there won't be alternate cables already available like there was for my Japanese DS and Chinese IQue DS Lite...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
2 years, I guess. It was primarily a shopping centre bowling alley though, and had the arcade as a side thing. Maybe it wasn't a Timezone.

I think most people still call them timezones these days. They were all over the place in the 90s. Only 2 left in all of victoria :O

jambo

Clipper said:
I'm not so sure. Back at the DS and Wii launches, the dollar was crap. I actually saved money by not importing the Wii (by a combination of a good launch deal and so on). If the predictions hold true and the Aussie Dollar is $1.10US at the time of the Wii launch, I doubt they can justify the same markup rate they've used previously. Of course, they don't need to justify it, they can do whatever they want, but I can dream...
Definitely dreaming. Why would they suddenly drop the price when people are buying Nintendo hardware by the truck load in Australia? If people are buying it there's no reason to drop the price. They'd only drop it if there was a sharp drop off in sales, which won't happen with a new launch item.

Even though we're almost at parity with the US dollar most gaming systems are $100-$200 more expensive Down Under. I honestly don't think they give a damn about the exchange rate.

Clipper said:

I'll also say that while I like the idea of the dock, that's not such a good thing for importing. All Nintendo consoles I have ever bought have been single voltage, and that means I probably have to buy a transformer to charge the US 3DS as there won't be alternate cables already available like there was for my Japanese DS and Chinese IQue DS Lite...
As long as I know what the power requirements of the dock will be, I'll be good.

Also, I don't think the Aussie prices for Nintendo stuff have ever been tied to the US dollar. I think they've been tied to the Euro, simply because of NAL's historically close ties to NoE.

Sony and Microsoft, I'll grant you. Nintendo prices here when compared to Euro prices matched up almost 1:1 at the start of the generation.

jambo

No way are the prices for Sony and MS consoles tied to the Aussie dollar.

if that were the case the 360 and PS3 would be about $150 cheaper!

jambo said:
No way are the prices for Sony and MS consoles tied to the Aussie dollar.

if that were the case the 360 and PS3 would be about $150 cheaper!
Their launch prices were. Remember when the PS3 launched for $1000? The Aussie bought you like 50 US cents back then.

The thing is, once a price is set, companies won't adjust them for currency fluctuations unless they're somehow losing money. Price drops only happen as responses to drops in sales.

jambo

The launch prices were not tied to the Aussie dollar.

In early 2007 the dollar was at $0.80 and the 60GB PS3 launched for $599 USD in the US, whilst in Australia it was $999 AUD.

$599 / 0.80 = $749 AUD

They whacked $250 AUD extra on top

In early 2006 the dollar was at $0.70 and the 20GB 360 launched for $399 USD in the US, whilst in Australia it was $649 AUD

$399 / 0.70 = $570 AUD

They whacked $80 AUD extra on top

jambo said:
The launch prices were not tied to the Aussie dollar.

In early 2007 the dollar was at $0.80 and the 60GB PS3 launched for $599 USD in the US, whilst in Australia it was $999 AUD.

$599 / 0.80 = $749 AUD

They whacked $250 AUD extra on top

In early 2006 the dollar was at $0.70 and the 20GB 360 launched for $399 USD in the US, whilst in Australia it was $649 AUD

$399 / 0.70 = $570 AUD

They whacked $80 AUD extra on top
Well then, I was wrong about Sony. Microsoft seemed more reasonable, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom