• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agyar

Started watching the Castlevania: LoS launch trailer this morning on the bus. They actually called the weapon the "combat cross"?

Mar

Zaro said:
I think I might pre-order Castlevania on PS3 from Ozgameshop seeing as it's $60 there and looking to be $100 here .

That might be a great idea actually. And with the delay here, we'd end up getting it earlier? Yes?

Agyar

Mar said:
That might be a great idea actually. And with the delay here, we'd end up getting it earlier? Yes?

Last time I preordered something from 365 games it shipped a few days after the release date, but only took 5 business days to arrive. How long has the release been delayed for here?

Just read Eurogamer's review of Enslaved, 8/10 along with Castlevania
(had to check I wasn't reading Gamecrux)
. Both look really solid and I hope I can find time to play them this year.

Edit: I actually meant to write more about the Castlevania launch trailer. The combat looks like God of War. A lot. This is not to say I am displeased, as the combat in God of War is brutal and fun. What I am wary of is the replication of GoW's combat in other games, where they seem to upset the balance and it goes from being simple, frantic and satisfying to just plain simple. Mashing square square triangle does not maketh an action game.

Mar

evlcookie said:
Why aren't you buying the LE castlevania with face mask Mar? I figured you would be all over that.

I generally don't like LE versions. They just come with a whole bunch of stuff that gather dust, and the boxes don't fit on my shelves.

It's usually only after I've fallen in love with a game I'll seek out the LE and store it away somewhere.

jambo

evlcookie said:
Huge TF2 update. Ausgaf tf2 all weekend i would hope. I won't schedule anything since we all suck at such things.

Let the trading begin or something :D
I'll try and get a few games on. Add me on steam people!

www.steamcommunity.com/id/jambo

I have Godskitchen tonight, sleep and then the Grand Final tomorrow, but tomorrow night and Sunday arvo should be clear.

Monday I should have the evening clear for TF2!

pilonv1

evlcookie said:
Huge TF2 update. Ausgaf tf2 all weekend i would hope. I won't schedule anything since we all suck at such things.

Let the trading begin or something :D

Long weekend too!

We must have some massive games this weekend. I will kritz medic you all to death

Rezbit

I wish I had a decent computer with steam so I could get in on some Ausgaf multiplayer lovin. Hanging out for Diablo 3 before I get a beast.

teekun

Agyar said:
Edit: I actually meant to write more about the Castlevania launch trailer. The combat looks like God of War. A lot. This is not to say I am displeased, as the combat in God of War is brutal and fun. What I am wary of is the replication of GoW's combat in other games, where they seem to upset the balance and it goes from being simple, frantic and satisfying to just plain simple. Mashing square square triangle does not maketh an action game.

I played the demo last night, and the combat is definitely very much like GoW. I like what I've played of it more, though. The ranged weapon in the demo is nice and quick, the attack upgrades are much more apparent than GoW in that you actually spend XP to unlock the moves you want next, and the counter system is a nice touch if you can get the hang of it.
The demo is a huge download, but I'd recommend trying it first if you're worried.

It's really disappointing that we're not getting it until the 14th. What's the thinking behind that?

Clipper

teekun said:
It's really disappointing that we're not getting it until the 14th. What's the thinking behind that?
They were probably late in submitting it to the Australian Classification Board or something.

Ydahs

My game: SSDash! :D (pre-alpha release one)
Webpage
(Windows only so far. I'm still trying to figure out how to compile it for MAC/Linux)

SSDash2.png

I mentioned here a week ago that I wanted to release to AusGAF a pre-alpha release of my game called SSDash. It's a time-trialed based game where you play a map, learn it and try to get as quick a time as possible. You can also create a map with the map editor I threw together in the last couple of days.

There are online leaderboards for each map and you also have ghosts (like in Mario Kart).

This is the first game I've created (aside from Pong). I've been told I've jumped too far into the deep end too early, but after two weeks of developing this game, so far I'm quite happy with the progress I've made! Still, don't be too harsh :lol

How to share maps? Well, you can share the compiled map directly or you can share the saved map editor file. This is how a saved file looks like from the map editor:
examplemap.png

No, that's not a thumbnail. That level is 'examplemap', one of included map. You can share maps like this, but the user has to then compile it using the map editor, though it's a good way to get a preview of what you're playing.

I suggest you play the maps in the numbered order. Most of them aren't newbie friendly and take a while getting used to. Also, don't be discouraged by the high scores already up there. Others who have played it were able to achieve very good scores after several attempts, once they were used to the platforming and learned the maps.

If you guys want to my ghost files to see how I play the game, just ask and I'll send them over.

I'll share a couple maps later on. Tell me what you think, especially about the platforming which is the hardest part to get right... but please, before commenting on it, spend enough time with it to familiarize yourself with it. Others who have played it took a while to get used to the platforming, and enjoyed it more when they did.

Enjoy!

Neat, Ydahs.

For me (Windows 7), it crashes on completing a level.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "GameV1.3.0 - New Obstacles (lava,fireball,lavadrop).py", line 669, in <module>
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''

Arozay

Agyar said:
Last time I preordered something from 365 games it shipped a few days after the release date, but only took 5 business days to arrive. How long has the release been delayed for here?
I don't think it's delayed here, comes out on the 14th of this month, so it's only like a week difference, main motivation would be the price. I've already got a huge backlog to work through so I'm in no rush.

Probably going to order Katamari Forever with it, don't know if they'll hold the order till Castlevania or if they'd ship twice.

Ydahs

AnkhWeasel said:
Neat, Ydahs.

For me (Windows 7), it crashes on completing a level.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "GameV1.3.0 - New Obstacles (lava,fireball,lavadrop).py", line 669, in <module>
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
If you have the time, can you try completing a level again? This error seems to be an issue with the web script that handles the online score upload, but I think I might have corrected it.

Try it again and let me know if the error still persists (and on which map).

Ventron

Anyone know where you can get US Microsoft Points other than Maximus Cards? They don't seem to be working very well for me.

Ventron

Neverender said:
Aren't MS points region-free? Just depends which region your account is from?

I do have a US account and I thought you had to redeem codes from the US to be able to top up MS points.

Nemesis_

For those interested, I am fairly certain that Castlevania will not be street dated here to "compensate" for the delay.

Shaneus

I'm back! One of the truly shit things about this thread being in Online is that you can't read it when banned/not logged in.

And one of the truly shit things about being banned? Losing all my fucking thread subscriptions! Unless that's a bug that happened to the forum in the last 10 days or so, in which case... whatever.

So, what the fuck did I miss?

Rahk

Ydahs said:
My game: SSDash! :D (pre-alpha release one)
Webpage
(Windows only so far. I'm still trying to figure out how to compile it for MAC/Linux)

I'll share a couple maps later on. Tell me what you think, especially about the platforming which is the hardest part to get right... but please, before commenting on it, spend enough time with it to familiarize yourself with it. Others who have played it took a while to get used to the platforming, and enjoyed it more when they did.

Enjoy!
Good work, considering it's a pre-alpha. I only played it for a few minutes, so my opinion probably doesn't mean much, but maybe the acceleration should be gradual instead of kicking in after a few moments of holding a direction?

Shaneus said:
I'm back! One of the truly shit things about this thread being in Online is that you can't read it when banned/not logged in.

And one of the truly shit things about being banned? Losing all my fucking thread subscriptions! Unless that's a bug that happened to the forum in the last 10 days or so, in which case... whatever.

So, what the fuck did I miss?
:eek:

That sucks

Omikron

Fredescu said:
Fallout New Vegas has been pricejacked. Glad I pre ordered it when I did.

Heh, had this on my wishlist for ages, then after rewatching some gameplay videos, I quite quickly removed it... anyway, that is an aside to the pricing issue which continues to be a bugbear of mine.... 2k/sega seem to be the worst offenders.

Kritz

Banned
People who were in the podcast say the podcast isn't terrible.

News at 11.

EDIT: Also pretend I said a similar thing to the above news article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom