• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

Microsoft must have used FedEx next day shipping to Australia to get all of them down here thus adding on the extra $80

>_>

jambo said:
Microsoft must have used FedEx next day shipping to Australia to get all of them down here thus adding on the extra $80

>_>
I'm thinking more that with the cost of importing, They'd need to have charged something like $610 to get the same margins.... so they rounded up to the nearest $50.

As for Sony, I guess Europe, Australia and everywhere else were subsidising the losses incurred in the US and Japan.

Clipper

jambo said:
The launch prices were not tied to the Aussie dollar.

In early 2007 the dollar was at $0.80 and the 60GB PS3 launched for $599 USD in the US, whilst in Australia it was $999 AUD.

$599 / 0.80 = $749 AUD

They whacked $250 AUD extra on top

In early 2006 the dollar was at $0.70 and the 20GB 360 launched for $399 USD in the US, whilst in Australia it was $649 AUD

$399 / 0.70 = $570 AUD

They whacked $80 AUD extra on top
I can't be bothered to check right now (sorry), but did you take GST into account on these numbers? You have to add 10% to the US price or multiply the AUssie price by 10/11 before doing these comparisons.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
What it is very reminiscent of is classic Burnout, stripped to the basics. The breezy Americana of the surroundings; the tactile, drifty handling; the crunchy impacts and takedowns; the snaking point-to-point courses; even the way you charge your car's nitro boost through drifts, near-misses and braving oncoming traffic. Hot Pursuit is Burnout 2 in a Project Gotham party dress. Webster confirms it when I ask after Criterion's powersliding inspirations, expecting the usual nods to OutRun and Ridge Racer. "Just Burnout, really," he says with blunt pride.

The game might be now be non shitty in my mind. I will still have to wait and play it but i'm glad they went back to basics, back to what made burnout burnout. And straight racers in multiplayer, although it sounds like point to point only, so it's a half hello ladies there.

Mar

Fredescu said:
Could this be the game that breaks the magical barrier of 8 at the 'crux?

That will be difficult seeing as we use a scale of 8/8

legend166 said:
So did we ever decide if I was going to review FIFA 11 for eaCRUX.com?

Hah. You mean gaEAmecrux.com

I'm going to review it after all. Should be an interesting exercise.. I've got some different methods in mind. If you want to get involved with the site then submit something and we'll see what happens from there.

jambo

Clipper said:
I can't be bothered to check right now (sorry), but did you take GST into account on these numbers? You have to add 10% to the US price or multiply the AUssie price by 10/11 before doing these comparisons.
If you do it roughly you can add another $60 on to the PS3 and it's still $200 over price. I suppose you could say importing costs, but not at $200 per console. It was still overpriced.

Fredescu

I ordered my u2410 on Monday night and it arrived today. Nice.

Does anyone regularly plug their consoles into their monitors and have some solution to make it easier to swap in and out? HDMI hubs and splitters seem expensive. Thinking about just getting a short male to female extension cable.

rass

Fredescu said:

Does anyone regularly plug their consoles into their monitors and have some solution to make it easier to swap in and out? HDMI hubs and splitters seem expensive. Thinking about just getting a short male to female extension cable.
Nice! they've come down in price too, I thought they were around $1,000? It could be a different model, I haven't looked in ages.
I'm also interested in a switching box solution (MBP + Tower share the monitor)

Fredescu

rass said:
Nice! they've come down in price too, I thought they were around $1,000?
They used to be $899 I think, so yeah they've come down a little. You can get a 15% discount code to bring it down further too.

rass

^^^cheers Fredescu,
I'm not in the market for a monitor atm, will wait till/if I start Uni. Good to know they are closer to $500 than $1000 though

evlcookie said:
Rass, when you get your new bike, let us know how much clunge you pull with it.
haha does my girlfriend count?
that made me laugh far more than it should have - just finished watching S1 of the Inbetweeners last week and had never heard the word "clunge" before then.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
rass said:
haha does my girlfriend count?
that made me laugh far more than it should have - just finished watching S1 of the Inbetweeners last week and had never heard the word "clunge" before then.

Such a great show and so wrong at the same time.

In this weeks episode it opens up with neil getting a bike for his birthday and jay going on about how much clunge he can pull with it. Made me think of you and rahk :lol

rass

football friend!
34flmza.jpg

and yes, so very wrong haha.

Clipper

Fredescu said:

Define expensive. This switch is $48US shipped, which seems reasonable to me.

And this one is only $12.70, although it doesn't have any reviews.

And one more with good reviews for $12.60, but no remote control.

Fredescu

$32 for Borderlands GOTY edition. http://www.ozgameshop.com/pc-games/borderlands-game-of-the-year-edition-goty-game-pc

Or you can pay $129 US on Steam.

Clipper said:
Define expensive.
$100+. Those ones you've linked actually look pretty good. All I did was search for "HDMI hub" on static ice, but it seems "HDMI switch" gives much more interesting results. I wonder if you sacrifice image quality by going through them? I've had bad experiences with cheap KVM switches in the past.

rass

Clipper said:
Define expensive. This switch is $48US shipped, which seems reasonable to me.

And this one is only $12.70, although it doesn't have any reviews.

And one more with good reviews for $12.60, but no remote control.
It just occurred to me as I got to checkout that I need a DVI switch, not a hdmi switch. Close call haha

evlcookie said:
I think most people still call them timezones these days. They were all over the place in the 90s. Only 2 left in all of victoria :O

There's one at Highpoint still. It's significantly smaller than what it was when I was a kid, but it's there.

legend166

Fredescu said:
$32 for Borderlands GOTY edition. http://www.ozgameshop.com/pc-games/borderlands-game-of-the-year-edition-goty-game-pc

Or you can pay $129 US on Steam.

$100+. Those ones you've linked actually look pretty good. All I did was search for "HDMI hub" on static ice, but it seems "HDMI switch" gives much more interesting results. I wonder if you sacrifice image quality by going through them? I've had bad experiences with cheap KVM switches in the past.

Wait, what? $129? Is that just the price of the base game + individual DLC packs?

evlcookie said:
How's the machine ? Any updates ?

Nah not really. They've updated to the latest versions of the newer fighting games (Tekken) there was a dual SSFIV machine there for about 4 weeks then they got rid of it for some reason. Everything else is as-is really.

Anyway, update on my GPU. Since I've had the GPU for 2 weeks now and Gigabyte's DOA warranty is only 7 days (!?) I have to mail it to PCG who will mail it to Gigabyte. I was only gonna drive up if it was gonna land me a new card today, which it isn't. So stuff it. Any pointers on packing the card for minimal/no damage?

Fredescu

legend166 said:
Wait, what? $129? Is that just the price of the base game + individual DLC packs?
Yep. On Steam, the base game is $80, plus $13 each for the first three DLC, and $10 for the new one. All of that comes with the GOTY edition. The GOTY edition will probably make it's way to Steam eventually, but you just know it's going to be at least $80.

I don't know why but I've been playing Borderlands again recently. I'm half tempted to buy the GOTY edition just to have the DLC.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
You don't have the original box? Throw it in that. Otherwise bubblewrap and foam in a non static bag.

And you still haven't gotten your 7900 out? Wiggle it back and forth / left right, Don't try pull straight up, it will never come out that way.

evlcookie said:
You don't have the original box? Throw it in that. Otherwise bubblewrap and foam in a non static bag.

And you still haven't gotten your 7900 out? Wiggle it back and forth / left right, Don't try pull straight up, it will never come out that way.

I do have the original box, but I'd rather be extra careful if possible.

Oh yeah, I did manage to get it out. You were asleep/offline by that point when I got back from indoor. The computer works PERFECT without the 460. As soon as I swap the 7600GT for the GTX460, it starts dying. Same drivers and everything.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Megadrive said:
I do have the original box, but I'd rather be extra careful if possible.

Oh yeah, I did manage to get it out. You were asleep/offline by that point when I got back from indoor. The computer works PERFECT without the 460. As soon as I swap the 7600GT for the GTX460, it starts dying. Same drivers and everything.

Awesome to know then that after all this time and updates, It's definitely the GPU that is causing issues.

Guess you can use it with the old card for now until pcg or gigabyte send you back a replacement. Did you ask for the same model? Can you swap it over for something else ?

evlcookie said:
Awesome to know then that after all this time and updates, It's definitely the GPU that is causing issues.

Guess you can use it with the old card for now until pcg or gigabyte send you back a replacement. Did you ask for the same model? Can you swap it over for something else ?

From the seems of it I'm gonna have to stick with the same model. If I have more problems with it I'm gonna complain until they offer me a better/different model.

And yes, I'm gonna use the computer with the old card until PCG send my replacement. Gotta get on with programming considering I've done jack shit on it since I got the stupid computer and started having troubles. It's due Monday. :D

Clipper

rass said:
It just occurred to me as I got to checkout that I need a DVI switch, not a hdmi switch. Close call haha
Hmm, they don't seem to have DVI switches, surprisingly. However, you could get one of the HDMI switches and a few of these HDMI to DVI dongles for those devices that only have DVI.

Ydahs

Hey AusGAF, my brother's first iPod/iPhone/iPad game just got accepted and it's called Banana Splitz: Munky Smash. He's the programmer, his friend is the designer and it's the first entry in a minigame series they plan to get going.

Costs $1.19 and is fun enough to warrant the purchase. Has online leader boards too!

Game play is simple and rewarding. You have to string together combos by not missing a monkey (think Guitar Heroes) which earns you multipliers and gets you a high score. You also have to avoid the 'Cooky Nuts' which knock off a lot of health.

Description said:
In a land far, far, far, far, far nearby, Munkys chose to invade the land by popping up at randomly located darker patches of ground. It was decided by the council of bearded harradins that to be rid of this Munky Menace, YOU would need to take action!

Your Objective is to Smash the Bananas out of the annoying Munkys (by tapping on them) and score points along the way.

But beware of the Cooky Nuts! They pack a world of hurt and cause you to lose points.

Increase your points by racking up Multipliers and compete on a Global scale to reach the Top 10!

Play in Classic mode for top rankings!

Play in Arcade mode, choose your level of difficulty and get the longest time for bragging rights!

Smash the Munkys till you drop!

mzl.mqbfwhdr.480x480-75.jpg
mzl.rpnwnsgh.480x480-75.jpg

Check it out: http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/banana-splitz-munky-smash/id391748706

Rahk

For whoever was looking for iPhone games, there are a bunch on sale at the moment:

Metal Gear Solid Touch - $2.99
Driver - $2.99
Real Racing - $2.99
NFL 2011 - $2.99

Mirror's Edge - $1.99
Sonic the Hedgehog - $1.99
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - $1.99
Doom Resurrection - $1.99
Doom Classic - $1.99
Star Wars Trench Run - $1.99
MLB Power Pros Touch 2010 - $1.99
Ace Combat Xi Skies of Incursion - $1.99
Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night - $1.99
Zenonia 2 - $1.99
Hybrid 2: Saga of Nostagia - $1.99
Phantasy Star II - $1.99
Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 2 - $1.99
Monopoly Here & Now The World Edition - $1.99
Risk - $1.99
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 - $1.99
EA Sports NCAA Football - $1.99

Zombie Infection - $0.99
Assassin's Creed II Discovery - $0.99
Doom II RPG - $0.99
Super Monkey Ball 2 - $0.99
Pac Man Championship Edition - $0.99
Archetype - $0.99
Spore Creatures - $0.99
Monkey Island SE - $0.99
Monkey Island II - $0.99
Zenonia - $0.99
Peggle - $0.99
Geometry Wars Touch - $0.99
Civilization Revolution - $0.99
Tiger Woods PGA Tour - $0.99
Soccer Superstars - $0.99
9 Innings Pro Baseball 2011 - $0.99
Baseball Superstars 2010 - $0.99
Need For Speed Shift - $0.99
De Blob Revolution - $0.99
Bookworm - $0.99
Puzzle Agent - $0.99

At least Mirror's Edge, Castlevania and Metal Gear appear to only be on sale for the US versions. There are probably more that I haven't checked.

What's the deal, Choc!? I want Mirror's Edge!

Well, at least I got Puzzle Agent for cheap.

Guess I'll just have to figure out how to make a US account to buy shit with. Edit: Figured it out. Cheap Mirror's Edge and Castlevania, woo!

josh_tarrant

Neo Member
rass said:
football friend!
34flmza.jpg

and yes, so very wrong haha.

Good God I love in-betweeners. Going to wait for Season 3 to finish and then power watch all the season in a weekend.

Have any of you guys seen the mis-fits or peep show???

teekun

Fredescu said:
I don't know why but I've been playing Borderlands again recently. I'm half tempted to buy the GOTY edition just to have the DLC.

You've been playing it because it's FUN.

I really need to finish up the General Knoxx stuff, but now that this new DLC is out, I doubt anyone will be playing it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I played until roughly level twenty in Borderlands and then it did that thing where it gave me heaps of cool new firepower and higher stats and then five seconds later threw me in an area where the enemies scaled up perfectly with them. When the combat isn't exactly improvisational or free-flowing and relies so heavily on stats, a constant rampage of enemies that match my loot kind of killed the fun.

Rezbit

Rez said:
I played until roughly level twenty in Borderlands and then it did that thing where it gave me heaps of cool new firepower and higher stats and then five seconds later threw me in an area where the enemies scaled up perfectly with them. When the combat isn't exactly improvisational or free-flowing and relies so heavily on stats, a constant rampage of enemies that match my loot kind of killed the fun.

I've not played Borderlands but UGH I hate that. Interesting to hear Peter Molyneux's (I think it was him) thoughts regarding this. Think he said something like: games always make you try and build up to becoming a badass, but then the game finishes and you never even get a chance to play with your super awesome character. I guess that's the same with level scaling, you get new skills and abilities that are almost instantly rendered shitty. Hopefully Fable III lets you tear around as a badass, although with the simplification the game has undergone...who knows.

Agyar

Just played the Enslaved demo. I liked it, I'm a sucker for Tomb Raider/Uncharted style platforming and the graphics are really nice. Will be keen to check it out if it reviews well. Castlevania also sounds decent from the reviews. So many games though, I just can't find the time for them all.

hirokazu

Rahk said:
For whoever was looking for iPhone games, there are a bunch on sale at the moment:

At least Mirror's Edge, Castlevania and Metal Gear appear to only be on sale for the US versions. There are probably more that I haven't checked.

What's the deal, Choc!? I want Mirror's Edge!

Well, at least I got Puzzle Agent for cheap.

Guess I'll just have to figure out how to make a US account to buy shit with. Edit: Figured it out. Cheap Mirror's Edge and Castlevania, woo!
I think all the EA games are only on sale for US version. :/

Arozay

I think I might pre-order Castlevania on PS3 from Ozgameshop seeing as it's $60 there and looking to be $100 here .

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Huge TF2 update. Ausgaf tf2 all weekend i would hope. I won't schedule anything since we all suck at such things.

Let the trading begin or something :D

rass

evlcookie said:
Huge TF2 update. Ausgaf tf2 all weekend i would hope. I won't schedule anything since we all suck at such things.

Let the trading begin or something :D
what got updated? Maybe I'll set up my tower on Sunday morning and get destroyed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom